Author Topic: Facebook Timeline  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Facebook Timeline
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
Yeah, pictures are bigger, and for a lot of people, maybe most, that's what Facebook is all about, checking out pictures of you and your friends.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
Yeah, pictures are bigger, and for a lot of people, maybe most, that's what Facebook is all about, checking out pictures of you and your friends.

I use it for talking shit about people I don't like lololol j/k or am I? lol ;) :lol

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
I switched weeks ago... loving it... well I like change anyway....

Jamesman is in my timeline  :heart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »
I am?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
 :-*

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
HELL YEAH

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
I don't care for it, simply because of the two-column layout.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Yup, Facebook is little more than that for me.  The two column format is appealing for pictures.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
Makes sense. I mean, I use facebook to keep in touch with pretty much all of my UK friends and such, but that's all either through messages, which are organized seperately, or through wall posts/comments which I'll get direct linked to when there's a new one.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Exactly.  I rarely go to my own timeline except to change the Cover picture and check out how it looks, and the only time I go to other people's timelines is just to see what theirs looks like.  Almost all communication is still through Wall posts or Messages, which haven't changed.  They even changed the message to say "----- posted on your Timeline" but I don't read it there; I read it on the main page.  I realize now that I don't even know what that page is called.  I thought it was the Wall, but the Wall is now the Timeline.  Whatever the page is that you start on when you first log into Facebook, that's where I spend all my time.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »
I think it's called the news feed.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
That sounds right.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
The never ending Facebook cycle:

1. Facebook changes its layout
2. People moan about how there was nothing wrong with how Facebook looked "SO WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT?"
3. People get used to it and decide they actually like it
4. Layout stays the same for about a year
5. Loop back to 1

Pretty much this. When it came out I got it voluntarily because I wanted to just get used to it and now like it just fine.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
I hesitated a bit because I wanted to check it out.  My sister was the first I knew who had it and she as anal as me about organizing things, so I got to see first-hand what a well-organized Timeline looks like.  I still wasn't thrilled about the two-column format, but once I heard that it will eventually become the default layout, I jumped in.  After having it a few weeks, I'm used to it and actually like it now.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »
I don't really like it. I try to keep my wall (or I guess not timeline) clear and delete posts, but now I have found that if I delete my picture posts it actually deletes the stories, so now I have to hide them.

Plus, I haven't picked out a badass cover picture yet.  :'(

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »
So just tried this out this afternoon. All I can tell the difference is a "cover" picture and split timelines of my stuff vs people's stuff on my page. What am I missing here? It's not that drastically different right?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
I dislike it, if only because I don't want information from years ago to be so easily and creepily accessible.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
I don't really like it. I try to keep my wall (or I guess not timeline) clear and delete posts, but now I have found that if I delete my picture posts it actually deletes the stories, so now I have to hide them.

Plus, I haven't picked out a badass cover picture yet.  :'(

not to worry honey, you'll find a badass one after a few attempts... also loved your last photo on the picture thread.... :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
So just tried this out this afternoon. All I can tell the difference is a "cover" picture and split timelines of my stuff vs people's stuff on my page. What am I missing here? It's not that drastically different right?

That's most of it right there.  When people click on your name, instead of a Wall, they see a Timeline.  At first glance, it looks pretty much the same except that things are in two columns rather than one.

But there's actually a bit more to it than that.

What Timeline does that some people don't like, and which some people absolutely love, is present everything you've ever entered or posted, chronologically. As many always suspected, Facebook keeps everything. A status update from two years ago is there, on your Timeline, with the date you posted it. Pictures you posted are there, on your Timeline, with the date your posted them. Everything.

A lot of people don't like that. They don't want to be reminded of everything they've ever said or posted. I understand that.

Another thing is that some people don't post pictures until a while after the event. Say you post an album of pictures from someone's wedding or birthday or something, but you post them a few months later. Those pictures show up on your Timeline on the date you posted them, not the date of the actual event. In a way, it makes it look like the date is wrong. Facebook has always shown the date you posted pictures, but now that everything is assigned a point in time, it makes the dates more important or something.

Now here's the cool thing: You can change the date of every single picture. The default is just to give Month and Year, but you can also assign a Day if you want. And the picture will show that date (or just month/year) and be displayed there on your Timeline. Those birthday or wedding pictures will now be in the right place.

The downside of course is that you actually have to edit all the dates in order to make that happen. There may be a way to do entire albums at once, but I don't know. I didn't think of that when I went through and converted mine, since I don't really have that many, but it would make sense to be able to do. You may be fine just leaving them with the dates they were posted, but I'm sure some people will want to put the "correct" date on every single picture.  For example, my sister posted a bunch of pictures from when we were kids, and I grabbed copies of them.  But I changed the dates so that they show up in the proper place in my Timeline.  Anyone looking at them can tell that they are not recent pictures and it bugs me that the dates are "wrong".

Once you "activate" Timeline, you don't have to convert your page right away. They give you up to a week before your Timeline is "published". This gives you time to edit all those dates and arrange things how you like before everyone sees them in the new format.

There are also Life Events.  When you were born, or moved to a different city, or graduated, or got married, etc., can all be placed on your Timeline, along with a picture and/or description.  Your Timeline becomes something of a visual autobiography.

And finally, they've added more security controls. I like having more control over everything that shows up, and who gets to see it. I don't share everything with everyone, as I have "friends" from various parts of my life, some friends of friends, and a few I've never actually met in person but have gotten to know online.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the rundown Al... I mean Orbert  ;)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
Orbert, you missed a point on past data.  It was never not there, Timeline hasn't brought new material back.  Before, it just needed to load someone's history one page at a time, but you could go all the way back and see everything Timeline presents.  The difference is ease of loading, a browser crash would make you start from scratch before.

If someone wanted your past on Facebook they would have it without Timeline.  The truth is that Timeline finally makes controlling the privacy of your past activities easy.  For all the criticism of it being a stalker enabler, it's the complete opposite.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
Good point.  I actually wasn't sure, which is why I skirted that particular point.

Offline Hprog

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »
Timeline is horrible. It's a clunky way of presenting information that was much better organized before. Now it's cluttered and disorganized, and slower to load. I dread the day they force me to "upgrade" to it.

+1

I'm not against the idea per se, but against how ugly and overloaded profiles look now.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »
And it just came out today that Facebook will be forcing the Timeline on all users.    I may start taking a closer look at Google +

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
And it just came out today that Facebook will be forcing the Timeline on all users.    I may start taking a closer look at Google +
Am I completely invisible?

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
I really don't like it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
I'm done with facebook anyway for the time being. But Timeline is a cool idea but it should still be an option to use the old format. When I go back I'll probably switch to Timeline. It's more artsy.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

No, but you don't have an avatar. A lot of people overlook posts made by users that don't have an avatar. Not on purpose, it just happens. It's really easy to not notice them.

It occurred to me earlier that I have no idea what to put as my big picture on the top of the page when Timeline becomes mandatory. :-\

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
No, but you don't have an avatar. A lot of people overlook posts made by users that don't have an avatar. Not on purpose, it just happens. It's really easy to not notice them.
I suppose you're right.  I used to have that tendency, but then I turned avatars and signatures off.  Don't figure I should have them when I get tired of seeing others'.  Ever since turning both off I've found I do remember usernames a lot better.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
I switched last night, but I don't use Facebook nearly enough for me to care about the differences. I actually do wish G+ would catch on. It's so much cleaner.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
I was using one of the old PCs at work the other day which hadn't been updated in years and was still running Internet Explorer 6.0 or something.  When I went to Facebook, my Timeline did not come up.  Instead it was the old-style Wall.  Also, pictures came up the old way, each on their own page, not the "pop-up" or whatever you call it which goes away when you hit Escape or click somewhere outside the picture.

In other words, newer versions of IE (or whatever browser you're using) are required for rendering Timeline and some of the other newer Facebook features.  So if you don't like them, use an older browser, or possibly there are options you can set.

That's not a serious suggestion, by the way.  But I did find it interesting when I went to my Facebook and saw a Wall, not a Timeline, since I switched a couple of weeks ago.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »

Nope, I just didn't see your post about them FORCING it.  But I agree that an Avatar would help.  :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
I'm done with facebook anyway for the time being. But Timeline is a cool idea but it should still be an option to use the old format. When I go back I'll probably switch to Timeline. It's more artsy.

I get change.  I'm in the I.T. business and I have no choice but to force change onto hundreds of users at a time sometimes.  Change happens.  I just feel like FaceBook could do a better job of preparing/warning users AHEAD OF these changes so that we have more time to adjust.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »

I get change.  I'm in the I.T. business and I have no choice but to force change onto hundreds of users at a time sometimes.  Change happens.  I just feel like FaceBook could do a better job of preparing/warning users AHEAD OF these changes so that we have more time to adjust.

Isn't that kinda what this test-it-before-its-forced-upon-you thing was with the timeline?