Author Topic: 2011-10-27 - Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie - Dallas, TX  (Read 12355 times)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
Re: 2011-10-27 - Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie - Dallas, TX
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »
It was truly an amazing show.  What was the deal with no cameras, though?  Of course I continued to take pictures with my phone and didn't get caught until BAI, so that was fine by me. :D
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Let's not get carried away about Trivium.  Their drummer is excellent, the rest of them are VERY average and they don't have a vocalist.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion about Trivium, but you need to quit trolling the thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion about Trivium, but you need to quit trolling the thread.
:D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:56:04 PM by James007 »

Offline fitzchrisdt

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
First time I saw DT was in Oklahoma at The Roxy on the Awake tour with Fates Warning.

The show at the Roxy was my first too!  Fates Warning opening. Great show. 

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
Trivium seemed liked nice guys and they can play, but I'm hard pressed to name a more forgetable band. They play fast, they play hard, they scream in different registers but I can't recall a single riff, melody, or lyric from last night. Same experience as listening to their albums. They try really hard but they're just boring to me. Very agreed with James - they desperately need a vocalist.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
Careful.

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
We saw Trivium in Clearwater and Orlando. While that is not my kind of music, I thought they did a good job. I'm not a fan of growling vocals, but some of their riffs were pretty good. Their lead singer did a good job interacting with the crowd on both nights and he praised DT at both shows too. I liked their walk in music. They got good support at both of the shows we saw. That could be in part because they are a Florida based band. I can't bang on them and I would watch them again if they open for DT next time we see them.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

I had him sign my FII Bootleg Demo. When I told him my favorite solo he's ever played is at the end of The Way It Used To Be, he said, "It's been so long...you'll have to remind me which song...?" So I reminded him that it was the Trevor Rabin/The Edge/EVHalen thing and he said, "Oh yeah! That one kind of got lost in all the drama." I told him it gutted me that it didn't make the cut because it's IMO one of their best songs.

Also asked him if Rod Morgenstein's name came up after MP left. He said, "Yeah, yeah, it did. We all know Rod, he's a great guy." I said, "Well you obviously picked the right guy." He thanked me and signed some pictures for my kids, posed for a picture. I expected him to be a little shy because of the way he is on camera sometimes. But he was very talkative, friendly, and generous. Hung around an extra 45 minutes so he could talk to everyone who came out for the M&G. No rock star bullshit at all. Made me proud to be a fan.

No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
Great pics :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »
Aw, JP looking happy.  Love it. :heart

We went to this show too--I'd have to say that one of the downsides was driving in the rain during rush hour, with next to no visibility. :tdwn

I got verklempt towards the end of the show, and the utter ROAR of approval from the crowd after Under a Glass Moon was so incredible to hear.  OH, and the baseball updates... :rollin

Another great show from the guys, hope they come back to TX very soon. :metal

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »

We went to this show too--I'd have to say that one of the downsides was driving in the rain during rush hour, with next to no visibility. :tdwn

I got verklempt towards the end of the show, and the utter ROAR of approval from the crowd after Under a Glass Moon was so incredible to hear.  OH, and the baseball updates... :rollin

Amen to that.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
I'm sorry I couldn't make it.  I really wanted to, but family duties called.  Sh*t happens when you have a 13 year old who is active in not only middle school football, but Boy Scouts as well. :angel:  Did see them with Redemption in 07 and Maiden after that.  From what I've heard, they sound fantastic this time around.  Even better than the last couple of tours.

I'll definitely be there next time, though.  Glad you guys had a good time.  Though I haven't really called it Nextstage in a while.  But corporate sponsorship changes so often, its hard to keep track!  What used to be "Starplex" down at the State Fair became the Smirnoff Music Center, then something else and something else.  Don't even know what its called now.  I just call it the "Vodka-plex".  So Nextstage to me is something else.  Isn't it the Verizon something-or-other now?  ???  Or was that the previous name?  I can't keep track!!  :facepalm:
I'm just glad "JerryWorld" [aka Cowboys Stadium] and The Ballpark In Arlington don't have that sponsorship.  At least, not yet.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
I made the decision to stick with Starplex the very first time the name changed,  and given how many changes there've been since,  I made the right call.  For that reason I've kind of adopted that as policy.  It's still Nextstage.  It's still the Ballpark (and it's actually had several sponsors). 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »

Amen to that.
Didn't James say they were going to come back sometime during 2012?
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:32 AM »

Amen to that.
Didn't James say they were going to come back sometime during 2012?
He made mention of going on tour next year.  I don't specifically remember him saying they were coming back to DFW.  I certainly hope so.  I hate going to Houston or New Orleans to see them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
AFAIR, James didn't specifically say DFW but he did indeed say that they would be back in 2012.

I actually don't mind Houston, as I grew up there before moving to Austin--bummed that we had to miss the Houston show, but I didn't have enough time to take that day off too. :(

Oh, and what was up with the peeps acting like paparazzi with Jordan?  End of tour hijinks? :lol

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 12:25:50 PM »
AFAIR, James didn't specifically say DFW but he did indeed say that they would be back in 2012.

I actually don't mind Houston, as I grew up there before moving to Austin--bummed that we had to miss the Houston show, but I didn't have enough time to take that day off too. :(

Oh, and what was up with the peeps acting like paparazzi with Jordan?  End of tour hijinks? :lol
That was funny.  I have no idea what they were out there doing.  You may be right that they were just playing around, or they may have been getting some pictures for his endorsement deals.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
We had no clue either, but we were laughing our asses off. :lol

Although... I noticed in some of the pics we took the night before that the red hat and suspenders were on the right side (facing out to the crowd) of MM's drum riser, but no one came out to mess around with them.  Hmm.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
Although... I noticed in some of the pics we took the night before that the red hat and suspenders were on the right side (facing out to the crowd) of MM's drum riser, but no one came out to mess around with them.  Hmm.
They were there for all three shows.  The gloves, too.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
Yeah what are those?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 02:27:49 AM »
I would say part of the costume of the unicycle rider on the cover of ADToE.