Author Topic: 2011-10-27 - Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie - Dallas, TX  (Read 12405 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
2011-10-27 - Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie - Dallas, TX
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
So as not to keep cluttering up the M&G thread.

And is there actually anybody other than Metty and myself that'll be seeing it?

Thanks DTVT, that's what I meant. She's just going with me to the show and has no particular interest in the M&G.
I decided that since we're spending the night at a hotel anyway then might as well check in early and have her drop me off then go back to the hotel and return again when it's time for the show. I just have to propose this plan very delicatly cause it has the potential of getting a frying pan in the face reply :lol

Driving to and from Nextstatge is a pain in the ass--lots of traffic.  And,  I've actually seen them try to charge for pulling up to the venue for dropping people off.*  Nextstage is in a large entertainment district that includes a minor league baseball stadium and Dallas's only horse track. 

I'm still not totally sure I'll do the M&G but the picture you paint there is horrific  :o I need to find a really need hotel to the venue so I can park there and walk to the show!
Yeah,  that ain't gonna happen.  The venue's actually in Grand Prairie, which is 15 minutes down the interstate from Dallas.  Unless you don't intend to do anything except arrive, see the show, crash, and drive home,  there's no reason you'd actually want to stay there.  Even if that's all you're interested in,  you'd still be better off staying in Dallas or even Fort Worth, where you can at least find some good chow and an interesting hotel. 

As for the M&G, you'd be better off doing that one in Austin.  The Nextstage show really offers too many logistical complications to make it feasible.  It's not a bad place to see a show, mind you,  but it's mainly a get in/get out kind of deal. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:49:42 AM by cyberdrummer »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2011-10-27 - Verizon Theater - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
Let me get this straight; you're saying that staying at some hotel in Grand Prairie won't be fun and I won't find a hotel within walking distance from the venue. But since money is tight a hotel in a town outside of Dallas has to be cheaper than one in the city, or at least that's the way I found it in Austin and SA.
I don't really care about how interesting the place is. I'm watching a DT show and I'm meeting El Barto! If I get more excited I might pass out :lol
My chances for the M&G on this leg of the tour are getting slimmer with money problems but I kinda thought if I M&G on the last date of the tour it should be more interesting. In my funny head I imagine the band would be like "So this is the last M&G we're doing on this leg of the tour and that means you can hang out longer" heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
I will be there on the 27th :D  Its looking like we'll get Set B and I'm really crossing my fingers to hear Breaking All Illusions so this could turn out to be awesome. 

I bought my cousin and myself a meet and greet package so we'll be doing our first ever meet and greet with the band.  I'm going to bring my iPad 2 for at least Jordan to sign and either my Ibanez S520EX or my pickguard to my Gibson Explorer to sign  :metal

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Sorry I have to double post about this:

Someone above mentioned something about Nextstage and the Dallas M&G not going to be good...why is that?  I bought my tickets a month ago and pray it turns out to be great for my cousin and I.  Please tell me I haven't wasted my money and will really get to meet the band and get a good spot in the first 5 rows without a hassle :-\

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
Sorry I have to double post about this:

Someone above mentioned something about Nextstage and the Dallas M&G not going to be good...why is that?  I bought my tickets a month ago and pray it turns out to be great for my cousin and I.  Please tell me I haven't wasted my money and will really get to meet the band and get a good spot in the first 5 rows without a hassle :-\
I was only referring to Metty's logistical situation with his old-lady.  The original post was in the M&G thread.  I think it'll be great for most people. 

Let me get this straight; you're saying that staying at some hotel in Grand Prairie won't be fun and I won't find a hotel within walking distance from the venue. But since money is tight a hotel in a town outside of Dallas has to be cheaper than one in the city, or at least that's the way I found it in Austin and SA.
I don't really care about how interesting the place is. I'm watching a DT show and I'm meeting El Barto! If I get more excited I might pass out :lol
My chances for the M&G on this leg of the tour are getting slimmer with money problems but I kinda thought if I M&G on the last date of the tour it should be more interesting. In my funny head I imagine the band would be like "So this is the last M&G we're doing on this leg of the tour and that means you can hang out longer" heh
I don't know what you're looking to spend for lodging, so I'm not sure what to tell you.  A quick perusal of Expedia says that the average price for room in Grand Prairie is about $100, and those are for standard 3* chain type places.  I've stayed in plenty of HI-Expresses, and Marriotts; nothing wrong with them.

You can get a room at a hotel airport for about $25 less.  DFW actually isn't too far away, and there are plenty of nice options if you go that route.  The same applies to out of the way suburbs, as well. 

You can get a nice room someplace interesting for about $25 more.  There are quite a few <$150 deals at 4* hotels going on right now, as a matter of fact.  Though stuck on the side of the Interstate, the Adolphus has rooms for $111 right now; quite a bargain.  From a touristy perspective, the Hyatt Regency downtown would be a pretty nifty choice.  It's walking distance to the West End, JFK's moment of infamy, and a few other sights that people might find interesting. 

Figure out what you want to spend, and if you want to do anything other than the show (and that includes eating) and then peruse Expedia.  Whatever you do,  I'd check with somebody familiar with the area before pulling the trigger.  You don't want to get stuck in Balch Springs or some other miserable corner of the metroplex.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
Thanks for the info El Barto :) A 100$ range for hotel is what I have in mind so being in Grand Prairie, we're terrible at following directions so being closer to the venue is important for clueless Egyptians. I do wanna see JFK's assassination spot the next day and not at night. I'm not worrying about the quality of the hotel so much since it's just one night..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MegaDTSX

Re: 2011-10-27 - Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie - Dallas, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
Just a little over a week to go guys!

Offline fitzchrisdt

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
I will be there too!  It will be the third show I see on this tour, as I'm going to the Houston and Austin shows as well.   I've been to the theatre (now called Verizon) many times and I don't think it's as bad as others have made it out to be. It is a bit out of the way and in the middle of an area without many hotels to choose from.  However, if you go just a bit further west (maybe 10 miles) you will be in the heart of Arlington, very close to Six Flags, The Rangers ballpark and the Jerry dome.  LOTS of hotels around that area so I'm certain you could get a decent deal and tons of restaurants, etc, around that area.  The Theatre sits right of 30...If you keep going west you'll cross 360.  There should be tons of hotel opportunities in that area.  Hope this helps.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Not sure who said Verizon [henceforth Nextstage] wasn't a good venue.  Once you're inside the theater it's a very nice place to see a show.  I don't much care for $15-20 parking, or $7 bottles of water, though.  It's also not in a particularly fun area.  Still,  good sound and sightlines.

Thanks for the info El Barto :) A 100$ range for hotel is what I have in mind so being in Grand Prairie, we're terrible at following directions so being closer to the venue is important for clueless Egyptians. I do wanna see JFK's assassination spot the next day and not at night. I'm not worrying about the quality of the hotel so much since it's just one night..
As for clueless Egyptians getting lost,  as was just pointed out,  it's right off the interstate.  If you can find Dallas,  you can find Nextstage.  If you're concerned about getting lost,  just pick a hotel that's within sight distance of I-30 or I-35.  That gives you a lot of options,  and puts you someplace a little less desolate.  As was just mentioned,  Arlington is certainly an option.  It's one of those places with zero culture that exists solely for tourist money,  so it wouldn't be my first choice,  but that's also a plus side to people from out of town like you.  And it really is just 10 minutes down the interstate. 
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
As was just mentioned,  Arlington is certainly an option.  It's one of those places with zero culture that exists solely for tourist money,  so it wouldn't be my first choice...

This.  Arlington is good for a football/baseball game, that's pretty much it.

Currently going to school very near Grand Prairie, so the venue is a short distance from my apartment.  Pretty excited about the show.  The most recent time I saw Dream Theater was when they rolled through with Maiden, and before that, Gigantour 2005.  The set(s) look great, so I'm glad for that as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
As was just mentioned,  Arlington is certainly an option.  It's one of those places with zero culture that exists solely for tourist money,  so it wouldn't be my first choice...

This.  Arlington is good for a football/baseball game, that's pretty much it.

Currently going to school very near Grand Prairie, so the venue is a short distance from my apartment.  Pretty excited about the show.  The most recent time I saw Dream Theater was when they rolled through with Maiden, and before that, Gigantour 2005.  The set(s) look great, so I'm glad for that as well.
Wherebouts?
E.F. Benson

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
Dallas Baptist.  The one with the big white chapel.  Little gaudy for my liking (given the area) but the education is sound and it offers my degree plan.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
Used to ride my bike down there.  You'd get up to insane speed coming down Kiest, and this was in the days when helmets were unheard of.  Actually made me a bit nervous.  This was back around '85.  Before the mega-church and when DBU was smaller than many high schools. 

Don't know if they still do it,  but every Fourth of July people would launch fireworks out to the intake jetty for the power plant.  If it was good and dry you'd get the whole thing burning.  Good times.
E.F. Benson

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »
That's awesome.  That church coupled with the white-washedness of the school blows my mind a bit given the location.  DBU is still small, the chapel is just mammoth.  They invested a lot of money in it and essentially allowed the rest of their facilities to suffer.  So that's good.

That said, it is a small world.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »
I'll be at the show, driving down from Little Rock. I'll actually be there with a few non-DTF fans and we're having a sort of reunion.

So bottom line - is it better to get a hotel near the venue so I can crash somewhere quick when it's over, or am I better to get something in D/FW?
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
I'll be at the show, driving down from Little Rock. I'll actually be there with a few non-DTF fans and we're having a sort of reunion.

So bottom line - is it better to get a hotel near the venue so I can crash somewhere quick when it's over, or am I better to get something in D/FW?
The venue's right off of the Interstate, so it's easy to get to from wherever.  It's in a fairly crappy suburb, so I wouldn't recommend staying around there.  It's not a shaky neighborhood or anything,  it's just not closed to anything but the venue and the horsetrack.  I'd stay somewhere in town, personally.
E.F. Benson

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
Two days!  I'm getting pumped since this is my first meet and greet with the band.  The only other band I've met was Symphony X and that was one of the greatest days ever. 

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Okay, thanks. My plans with the other friends moved to Saturday. Any chance you guys are meeting up somewhere to eat before the show? It'd be cool to at least meet a few people while we're all in the same place.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »
I'm really stoked about this show, guys.  Myself and two of my buddies got the M&G package, so I think that's going to make for a fantastic experience.  We're driving down from OKC to see them - woot!

I'm wanting to bring my lithograph from this box set as well as a cd to get signed, think they'll allow for a backpack to carry the stuff in?  I dont want to leave the lithograph exposed all night, nor do I want to have to fold it up, etc.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »
I'm really stoked about this show, guys.  Myself and two of my buddies got the M&G package, so I think that's going to make for a fantastic experience.  We're driving down from OKC to see them - woot!

I'm wanting to bring my lithograph from this box set as well as a cd to get signed, think they'll allow for a backpack to carry the stuff in?  I dont want to leave the lithograph exposed all night, nor do I want to have to fold it up, etc.

I'm coming from southside OKC to see them!  I bought a M&G ticket for both me and my cousin (I know, I'm an awesome cousin). 

We'll both probably be wearing the tour shirt from when they opened with Maiden. 

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:36 PM »
Awesome!  Glad to know there are more DT fans in Oklahoma than just myself and a few of my friends - haha.  Totally will keep an eye out for you then.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
Made it to Arlington. Just met JP at Guitar Center - what a nice guy!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Did you know he was gonna be there?

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
Yeah, M&G from 2-4. Found out this morning, hauled ass from Little Rock. I was the last guy in line.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »
Finished up the meet and greet about an hour ago. Hanging in our seats listening to Metallica. Can't wait for the show!

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
HIS NAME IS JAMES FUCKING LABRING IT, BITCHES. AND HE WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.   :metal

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »
HIS NAME IS JAMES FUCKING LABRING IT, BITCHES. AND HE WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.   :metal
So, I'm guessing that the show went well?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
It went well.  It was kind of noticeable that it was their 3rd night in a row playing.  JLB sounded good, but didn't try to do as much as the two nights before. The sound wasn't as good as Houston, either (I have no idea about Austin).
E.F. Benson

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
My first time seeing them live, a 25 year wait. How is it possible that JLB sings stronger and more passionately than on the albums? I expected the band to be good. James was simply jaw-dropping talented all night. Unbefuckinglevable, this guy.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »
Just got back to the hotel. Watched the show shoulder to shoulder with El Barto, pretty freakin awesome.
Got the TSM/BTS/Forsaken list which was great cause yesterday I got the other one :)

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
I thought the show was great.  James did sound great, probably the best I'd heard him in the three shows I've seen Dream Theater.  It seemed like the energy the band had was great, they were a little more mobile up there, interacting with Mike on the kit an what not.  They seemed legitimately excited about what they were doing.

James' awkward microphone stand spin has to go though.  That was uncomfortable.

Three more notes:

- John Petrucci is a really kind guy.  Met him at the Guitar Center in Arlington during the meet & greet.  He is so great, so ready to talk, so ready to interact with the fans.  Stayed late even to meet more fans.  He signed my favorite album, Awake, for me.

- Trivium is really, really good. 'Nuf said.

- Some studio songs are much better live (Forsaken, ES).  That was really cool.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »
With the help & guidance of El Barto I never caught a glimpse of Trivium. Just heard the noise from outside.. couldn't have asked for less :lol
I'm posting from my iPad cause I'm still in Dallas so hopefully when I get home I will prepare a details review of my two nights cause they were truly a great experience & a mile stone for me.

Offline Saiko

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
Some studio songs are much better live (Forsaken, ES).  That was really cool.

I couldn't agree more. I've never been a big fan of either studio song, but man they are incredible when played live.

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
DT show was awesome!  I felt sorry for Trivium though, everyone was out in the lobby watching the Ranger game.
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"

Offline DC PHAROAH

• When the world weighs you down, LOOK UP!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »
I experienced Dream Theater last night for the 7th time dating back to the Awake tour. For me, this was the best performance I have seen. They were so tight, energetic & passionate in their performance. My face honestly hurt from smiling. I couldn't have been more pleased. Mike Mangini has brought the band together in way that I've never seen. It is truly magical. They came across to me as great friends, who cared very much about every note they were pouring into their performance. I almost crapped my pants when JMX went up on the drum rizer. That was a definitle hightlight. Mangini's solo left me speechless and the acoustic part of the show brought a few tears to my eyes. It was a heavenly experience. I am so proud of our mighty DT. They are in the highest form possible and I am thankful that I got to experience it. On another note, I really enjoyed Trivium. Never had heard them much before last night. They were really good musicians. They were tight and I liked their vocals. I will definitely be buying some of their albums. To the other Oklahoma folks, just wanted to put in a word saying hello!! We came from Oklahoma to see DT last night too. First time I saw DT was in Oklahoma at The Roxy on the Awake tour with Fates Warning.