Author Topic: Is that Yanni?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline WildeSilas

Is that Yanni?
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
REALLY cool DT experience today in the Target parking lot. I'm sitting in my van checking my e-mail, about to pull out. I'm blasting the instrumental section of BAI so loud the windshield is shaking. An elderly black woman knocks on the passenger side window. Now, when I say elderly, I mean probably in her mid to late 70's (I park in handicap because I have a heart disease). I'm thinking, "Uh-oh, she's about to scold me for damaging my ear drums." So I roll the window down.

"Is that Yanni?" she asks.

So I explain that no, it's Dream Theater, and a little about them being Berkely students, etc. She tells me how she loves what she calls "layered" music - where there's a lot going on with the instrumentation, odd time signatures, etc. Her son turned her on to Yes several years ago and Yanni is the closest thing she can find to that. She'd never heard the term "prog," so I explained that to her too. She was asking A LOT of questions about how long DT had been around, if they had long songs, if they were on the radio, etc. Then the vocals started back in on that last chorus and she says, "Well, now they sound like Iron Maiden."

That's when I shat myself.

So I'm sitting in the Target parking lot, parsing the Iron Maiden catalogue with this 70-something year old black lady, in Central Arkansas of all places. And she KNEW her Maiden - she starts telling me that they were good up until Seventh Son and they've never quite been the same since then (!!!!!!!!). I asked if she'd heard the new stuff since Bruce came back, but she only tried Brave New World and didn't like it. She also said that since listening to Yes a lot, she gets bored with Maiden. We talked about Stevie Wonder for a bit (I'm a HUGE Wonder fan) and how he used to experiment with instrumentation a lot back in the 70's. She ended up writing down the band name and asked me to recommend 2-3 albums to start with (So of course, I&W, ADOTE, and SFAM), and I also recommended she check out Transatlantic and Rush.

So two things here:

1) Never ever assume someone won't like DT or prog just because of their age or color (I mean, really, how many black DT fans are there out there? Not trying to do racial profiling, it's just that I don't see a huge black demographic in the prog scene). This woman was AWESOME and by all stereotypes, should have only enjoyed black gospel and motown (genres which I actually happen to enjoy immensely). But a true music lover isn't bound to those cultural stereotypes and her palate was very broad. May I have that same spirit when I'm her age.

2) How awesome is it that you can meet a total stranger who you would have nothing else in common with, and walk away feeling a kinship because you both recognize the artistic value of a song or artist? I enjoyed this conversation more than any other in recent memory with close friends. We were both genuinely excited to be sharing/discovering a new thing for her. She was so compelled by the music that she knocked on a stranger's car window in a parking lot.

I LOVE the universality of music, and I'm so grateful for a band like DT that speaks to the soul and mind without regard to what's popular or conventional.

No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline olliemedsy

Re: Is that Yanni?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
cool story bro

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
I totally thought this thread was going to be a picture of DT with Yanni.  It would make me smile.

This made me smile, too, though.  I hope you told her how awesome she is!  Sounds like a fun conversation.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
Before reading the thread, the answer is "yes". It is ALWAYS Yanni.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
Interesting story. By the way, Yanni has some cool tunes.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
Really awesome story!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Neuth

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
Wow, that's so cool haha, I wish I knew more people who are like that with music.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
That's awesome.

And I'm one of the bigger proggies on the board and I'm about a quarter black, if that counts. I mean I have lots of black features and stuff, just not fully the skin colour. Although my skin is darker than white.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
That's freaking awesome.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
By the way, Yanni has some cool tunes.

Chasing Shadows...  :heart

As for the OP, it really is a very cool story.  I've never had an experience quite like that.  I mean, I've bonded with people over music before, but I've never just had a stranger approach me about music in a way that the two of us end up having a prolonged conversation about it.  Sounds like awesome fun, though.  =D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
I'm half black. Earlier today, I was listening to BITS and was thinking how I should refer to my penis as "Blackness" and yada yada yada "BLACKNESS AWAKENS!!". My girlfriend will be most unhappy when I shout this in her face next time we bop.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
Before reading the thread, the answer is "yes". It is ALWAYS Yanni.

Yanni kinda looks like an un-tattooed, un-bearded Portnoy.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
If anyone hasn't seen this:  Stevie Wonder on the drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA4vWQRBA0

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
I'm half black. Earlier today, I was listening to BITS and was thinking how I should refer to my penis as "Blackness" and yada yada yada "BLACKNESS AWAKENS!!". My girlfriend will be most unhappy when I shout this in her face next time we bop.

This is better than my post.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
Best thread I've read in weeks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
Not that it's terribly related, but this reminded me of when Kenny G was spotted at an Opeth concert.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
Cool story, bro.

Except that I'm totally serious.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
That's a cool story.  :tup

One time I was helping out with the church rummage sale, an annual thing which includes volunteers going around to various people's houses to pick up stuff being donating to the rummage sale, big stuff like furniture, exercise equipment, etc.  Two guys went in the rented truck, and four of us piled into a car to follow it.

The driver, an old guy named Sheldon, is like 85 years old, and it's a big red Cadillac.  As soon as he starts the car, the radio (which was left on) starts blasting Michael Jackson, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough".  I said something about how I didn't expect him to be a Michael Jackson fan, and he just said, "Hey, it's all music.  I just like good music."  All right!

Offline smegolas

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
Ive read your post about 4 times, and its fantastic.  Ive shared it with some non DT fans, who also loved it.  The way you wrote it made it come alive - thanks very much!

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Not that it's terribly related, but this reminded me of when Kenny G was spotted at an Opeth concert.

I was at that show in LA.  It was a trip to see Kenny G at an Opeth show - apparently his son is a big fan.

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
Great story. It's been rumored that everything that makes Chuck Norris who he is came from Yanni. I'm just saying....
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
That was a very good read! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Yanni does have some really good tunes btw.   Also a fan of Kitaro.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
1) Never ever assume someone won't like DT or prog just because of their age or color (I mean, really, how many black DT fans are there out there?
Yeah, I ended up in a discussion about Nightwish and Dream Theater recently with a middle aged clerk at a craft store.  She was very knowledgeable about both and was apparently into lots of bands like them.  I never had so much fun getting dragged along to one of my wife's stops, but I have to wonder why that never happens elsewhere to me?

edit: Never mind, it has happened to me at more of 'my' stores.  When I bought ADTOE the clerk started telling me about how much he loved Dream Theater and had all of their albums.  My people skills were turned off, though, I pretty much ignored him.  I told my wife and she properly asked, "what's wrong with you?" :lol :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:57:37 PM by yorost »