Author Topic: Big Bang Theory - Season 5  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Big Bang Theory - Season 5
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
My housemates have been obsessed with this show lately, so I've seen quite a few episodes by proxy. It's alright - I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd ever actually sit down and watch it on purpose.

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 04:48:50 AM »
@ Guitalguy
I sent out all 3 prizes last Tuesday but don't know how long they'll take to arrive.

That's nice, usually takes about a week from overseas, but nobody's in a hurry  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »
I can't be the only person to find this show painfully un-funny ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »

Imagine a sub-par sitcom with a really loud laugh track. Insert nerd references.

Seriously. It's on tv right now and there are stupidly loud laughs at the *SLIGHTEST* joke.  >:(

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
Been catching it on TV over the past few days. I like it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
I love the show but it seems to be losing it. Comparing a relationship to Schrodinger's cat was awesome. Now, it's somewhat immature humor.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
I've always thought the show is at it's funniest when Penny and Sheldon are interacting. But Amy... oh Amy, sometimes she can be funny, most of the times I don't care for her, we don't need two Sheldon's in the show. Jim Parsons is enough.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
It needs to go back to science jokes. Not to sound like a hipster, but I think the entire point of the show changed to fit a mass audience. It's becoming way too sitcomish. I miss all the science jokes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
I don't really like or hate it.

It's alright if it's on and I'm in the room where it's on, but I don't go out of my way to see it.

I just wish that it and Community hadn't been at the same timeslot. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
I've always thought the show is at it's funniest when Penny and Sheldon are interacting. But Amy... oh Amy, sometimes she can be funny, most of the times I don't care for her, we don't need two Sheldon's in the show. Jim Parsons is enough.

Amy's personality has become distinct enough from sheldon's to be interesting in its own right imo.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
Oh I've noticed that. Most of her humor is very self-deprecating, but I still care little for her.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

thank you!
Penny/Sheldon and Penny/Leonard interactions were/are the best part of the show.

How many more forward slash thingies/characters will/should I use? :neverusethis:

Offline PetFish

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »
What the show REALLY needs is a classic Penny vs Sheldon story.  It's been too long.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
I just wish that it and Community hadn't been at the same timeslot.

For Community's sake, I agree.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
I haven't gotten even close to the fifth season yet (I only just managed yesterday to finally sit down and watch the series in order, after months of randomly catching episodes on TV), but I gotta say this show is dynamite. Judging from the comments here things have changed since the first season, which I'm in the middle of, but I'm hoping it will pick up.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
It will be amazing for the first 3 seasons and then take a nose dive with about 2 exceptions in the 4th season.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
If it gives any indication, I loved the Irish Pub Formulation, the season 4 episode that finally caused me to watch the series in order.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »
I just really miss Penny in those low-cut tops.  :(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
I just really miss Penny in those low-cut tops.  :(
We all do, we all do!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
You mean they stop doing that? :|

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
yup  :'(

no more Penny in short shorts and low-cut top
tis a sad, sad thing

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 02:29:48 AM »
Pretty hillarious, I must admit...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline PetFish

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »
Ep. 5-12 ~ THE SHINY TRINKET MANOUVER

4*/5

BBT returns after a month off.

Still too many characters.  This episode was middle-of-the-road and I gave it a 3 but I awarded a bonus point for Amy's reaction to the tiara.  That moment was just so awesome and was totally unexpected.  Even though she's happy now it doesn't excuse Sheldon for being such a dick to her at the beginning.  Even "just friends" usually support each other when one has good news the other doesn't care for.

Bernadette pissed me off this episode.  The "no children" thing is valid and so is her solution but when something serious like that needs to be discussed you don't say crap like "since I make way more money than you".

Mad props to Simon Helberg, man, that guy has talent.  He can act, sing, piano, magic, voices, etc.  What a great choice for the role of Howard.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »
Bernadette pissed me off this episode.  The "no children" thing is valid and so is her solution but when something serious like that needs to be discussed you don't say crap like "since I make way more money than you".

You seem to have forgotten that this is a sitcom.  That she's more successful than him is a running joke along the same lines as constantly pointing out that he "only" has a Master's degree. 

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
I always said it would be an amazing string of episodes if one of the under-archs was Howard getting his PhD.

Offline Hprog

« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

You seem to have forgotten that this is a sitcom.  That she's more successful than him is a running joke along the same lines as constantly pointing out that he "only" has a Master's degree.

Exactly. Actually that was one of the funniest parts of the show for me, but I agree that this season hasn't lived up to the show's standards so far. I hope they'll pick it up.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

I didn't forget, thanks though.

The "not a Ph.D" running joke is funny but, to me, this wasn't an appropriate way to continue it.  It just rubs me the wrong way.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

I didn't forget, thanks though.

The "not a Ph.D" running joke is funny but, to me, this wasn't an appropriate way to continue it.  It just rubs me the wrong way.
The thing is, in this world the whole joke isn't far from the truth.  ...aside from the comedic tendencies, of course.  A PhD is nothing short of a ridiculous amount of work, sacrifice, dedication, and sorrow.  To get one and abandon career is unusual, at best.  In a family where one spouse has a PhD, they are typically the bread winners, and part of that is definitely  because their expected income is significantly higher.  When it boils down to it, the PhD carrier generally gets career preference.  This world sadly does kind of look at it as "only" a masters.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:49 AM »
Ep. 5-13 ~ THE RECOMBINATION HYPOTHESIS

4/5

"I need wood for my erection."

A decent episode, it was great to see the guys playing a board game, and the girls doing girl-stuff.

However, they are REALLY screwing up the Leonard & Penny story.  It has (had) so much great potential but right now I just don't care.  At least with Ross & Rachel there was always an intimate vibe between them that just isn't present here and that's awful.  Penny is a slut.  Leonard will do anything she says.  Who gives a shit?  Unless they actually do story stuff with them getting together the possibility of a relationship is ignored 100% of the rest of the time.

I foresee a season-ender at Howard & Bernadette's wedding where Leonard & Penny finally say enough is enough and get together permanently... which would be sad cuz it's so predictable.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
Ep. 5-14 ~ THE BETA TEST INITIATION

4/5

Another solid episode but the total win came from Sheldon & Amy doing their flag podcasts.

I'm really sad for Raj, though, he should really be in a mental institution at this point, or at least have a team high-level professionals trying to figure out his issues.  But I wonder how much of that Siri stuff was actually Siri answering?  I'm betting at least 90% of it, if not all of it.

Kripki trying to use Siri was AWESOME.  If anything, Siri replying "I don't know what you mean by 'westauwant'" may have been faked, but I hope not, so funny.

Leonard & Penny... the writers are trying waaaaaaaaay too hard and it's just not natural at all.  It's so forced and therefore lame.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:19 AM »
I think everything with Siri was real, as I know it was reported to have a really tough time with accents.

In any case this episode was better than the last two or so, and the flag show bits were amazing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
I foresee a season-ender at Howard & Bernadette's wedding where Leonard & Penny finally say enough is enough and get together permanently... which would be sad cuz it's so predictable.
I think you're probably right. One sitcom cliche that I've always hated is the will-they-won't-they on and off again relationships. It just gets old. You're right that Penny is a bit of a slut which makes me think that Leonard can do better. Leonard seems to do anything for Penny which makes him seem a bit pathetic. But... on the other hand I'd rather Leonard and Penny get together for good than adding another woman to the cast for Leonard.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
I think everything with Siri was real, as I know it was reported to have a really tough time with accents.

Can confirm this. My friend's girlfriend has a noticeable Brogue and Siri wouldn't be close. I think she asked what the nearest liquor store was and it ended up calling someone name Craig.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
Ep. 5-15 ~ THE FRIENDSHIP CONTRACTION

5*/5

Howard is gonna be an astronaut... and nobody in the gang is the least bit excited for him?  You can't get much better than that and nobody seems to care.  If one of my BFFs got to go into space I'd at least give him a fist-bump but more likely I'd be super excited for him.

You can't give yourself a nickname, even though I like "Brown Dynamite", it's just sad to try and make one for yourself.  Reminded me of when George Costanza wanted to be called "T-Bone" and it painfully backfired.

* I really only rated this a 3, but I gave 2 bonus points just for the fact that EVERYONE finally stood up to Sheldon by not having the "privilege" to be his personal assistant.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »

However, they are REALLY screwing up the Leonard & Penny story.
Really? I thought this episode was an original way to show that Leonard has grown up and won't let his overthinking ruin his chances at the relationship.