Author Topic: Big Bang Theory - Season 5  (Read 7222 times)

Offline PetFish

Big Bang Theory - Season 5
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
I forgot to start the new thread for the new season so here we go!

Ep. 5-01 ~ THE SKANK REFLEX ANALYSIS

3.5/5

A solid episode, but nothing too crazy for the season premier.  When Raj says that he and Penny didn't have "conventional" sex I thought about something else but that's not what he meant but the line wasn't written very well.

I enjoyed Sheldon's paintball sacrifice moment.

- - -

Ep. 5-02 ~ THE INFESTATION HYPOTHESIS

4/5

*knock* *knock* *knock* "Penny"

I loved that part when Sheldon keeps going back to Penny with "official" reasons to get rid of the chair, but then she scares him off with the seat cushion, but Sheldon MUST finish his OCD and runs back to knock/Penny and then run off.

I don't know why they keep the Howard/Raj homosexual storyline.  It doesn't make sense since Howard is engaged and Raj has been with many girls.  However, when they are "making out" the looks on Leonard's face are gold, especially the last one where he just "gives up" and dips his head at the "WTF is going on here" moment.

- - -

Ep. 5-03 ~ THE PULLED GROIN EXTRAPOLATION

2.5/5

Meh.  I still hate Amy.

There are way too many characters now to keep track of and that's not good.  There's just no time in the show to really focus on the main characters and I think this is not going to work.  They really need to get back to Leo/Shel/Pen more.

Offline PetFish

Re: Big Bang Theory - Season 5
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »
Ep. 5-04 ~ THE WIGGLY FINGER CATALYST

2/5

Too.  Many.  Characters.

Amy and Bernadette were in one small scene.  Amy is still a stupid character.  Raj is a complete moron the way he was acting, he should be taking extra care when an opportunity like this shows up, so it's a good thing the girl was a gold digger.  My feeling is that at some point he'll meet a girl that can't talk to boys and then somehow they'll hit it off.

Sheldon rolling the dice was good times, though.

They've really taken away the focus from Leonard/Penny/Sheldon and that's BAD.  I want that thread of Leonard and Penny getting together to always be there, like Ross and Rachel, but it just isn't.  Then once in a while they'll throw in a small regret reference by either of them that they aren't together anymore but for it to work there always needs to be that tension.

Whatever happened to Priya forbidding Leonard to hang out with Penny?  They just do, it was never really addressed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:53:53 PM by PetFish »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
Haven't began watching S5 yet, but my opinion regarding S4 was mostly that they shouldn't add so many characters.
Amy is more annoying then fun for me, Bernadette and Priya are kinda "filler"-characters as well.

I wish they would return more to the "core" of what made the first seasons so good.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Ep. 5-03 ~ THE PULLED GROIN EXTRAPOLATION

2.5/5

Meh.  I still hate Amy.

There are way too many characters now to keep track of and that's not good.  There's just no time in the show to really focus on the main characters and I think this is not going to work.  They really need to get back to Leo/Shel/Pen more.
What the hell is wrong with you? Episode 03 was probably the best we've had since season 1. Just pure comedic brilliance. The playfulness with the characters in that episode was beautifully done! You know why it was the best? Sheldon only appeared as a sidekick, as the character he was supposed to play in Season 01. Just brilliant.

5/5

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »
Haven't began watching S5 yet, but my opinion regarding S4 was mostly that they shouldn't add so many characters.
Amy is more annoying then fun for me, Bernadette and Priya are kinda "filler"-characters as well.

I wish they would return more to the "core" of what made the first seasons so good.
Spot on. This, please.

I still have to finish watching season 4. They had some good episodes but lost the consistency they had on S2 and 3.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:03:35 AM »
What the hell is wrong with you?
Nothing is wrong with me, my mother had me tested.

The 4 guys just don't do anything anymore... no renaissance fair, costumes, comic book store, experiments, etc.  There's barely even any 'science-y' stuff these days.  All these dumb relationship storylines are horrible.  Season 4 was an overall downer for me and for these reasons and I hope, somehow, Season 5 can redeem it.

TOO.  MANY.  CHARACTERS.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
Ep. 5-05 ~ THE RUSSIAN ROCKET REACTION

3.5/5

Wil Wheaton is back!  But they fucked it up.  The first two WW episodes were gold and truly had showdowns between the two arch-rivals.  The third, WW was hardly in it, and all he did was get into a movie that Sheldon couldn't.  It sucked.

So here's the 4th WW episode and I had high hopes, but they blew it again.  What *should* have happened was when Spiner tore open the signed action figure and made Sheldon go from super happy to super sad, Sheldon would have ran off and then WW looks at Spiner and says "see, I told you it'd be fun to mess with him", or something like that.  But instead they ruined it.

And why aren't Leonard and/or Penny confronting WW about his "story" that pushed Penny over the edge to break up with Leonard in the first place?  Where's the resolution?

At least they were back in the comic store but I'm not sure why Leonard is haggling when it should be either Howard or Raj for obvious racially-stereotypical reasons.

This is the first episode where I didn't like Bernadette.  It's fucking going into space, not bungee jumping or swimming with sharks.  Only 300 people have ever been there.  So she tells him 'no'?  So stupid.

Again... too many characters and I still hate Amy.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »
Ep. 5-06 ~ THE RHINITIS REVELATION

3.5/5

Pretty solid episode.  Not sure why Mary Cooper was pushing religion on everyone so much but I love that she's such a redneck and that she called-out Penny for being a slut.

Raj is turning into a full-blown alcoholic, and that's not good, I mean what's up with him sitting on the floor outside getting hammered by himself?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
Ep. 5-07 ~ THE GOOD GUY FLUCTUATION

5/5

Oh my god the comic book girl was super cute!  She reminds me of Olivia Wylde.

Leonard, what a moron, GET RID OF PRIYA.  What has she done other than try and make you not be friends with Penny, make you feel guilty about hanging out with your friends for a few hours instead of her, and tell you to wait until one of her siblings does something REALLY stupid so when she tells her parents about you it won't seem so bad?  What the hell kind of respect is that?  He doesn't even need to wait until now when she cheats on him, he should have dumped her ages ago.  And clearly she wasn't going to tell him about it cuz it happened two weeks ago.  I really hope he gets together with the cute comic book girl.

The Sheldon pranks were great.  For whatever reason I loved the beginning when he turns around and Leonard is there and he screams and faints.  It just makes me laugh.

"Does my tounge-stud freak you out?  Cuz if it does you're in for a real surprise later."  Music to my ears.

I thought Stuart's brief character performance was really good.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
What does the humor compare to?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »
I don't understand your question but I'm happy to see someone else posting in this thread even if it makes no sense to me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »
Like what kind humor is it?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 01:29:33 AM »
Nerds.  Comics.  Science.  Costumes.  Geeks.  Gadgets.  Superheroes.  Collectibles.  Intelligence.  Quirks.

Basically, if you're of the "Nerd is the new Sexy" belief, this show is right up your alley.

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:22:25 AM »
Best episode in a long time imo. I too think Leonard should break up with Priya, and Sheldon getting Leonard back was great (first bazinga in the new season I think).

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »

The unfunny kind.

Imo.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

The unfunny kind.

Imo.
Imagine a sub-par sitcom with a really loud laugh track. Insert nerd references.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »

The unfunny kind.

Imo.

My parents love this show and when I had Community on my mom scoffed "its pretty bad when this is the only thing on TV". I love her too much to kill her but I was mildly tempted.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
Ep. 5-08 ~ THE ISOLATION PERMUTATION

4.5/5

I'm always worried that they'll crack and have Sheldon have sex or something and when I saw the preview for this episode I was afraid they were going to do it.  But, Sheldon came through, with counter-proposals to do everything to NOT be a lover with Amy as only Sheldon can.

I wish they'd get off the "is Raj gay" thing, it's so tired.  He's been with women but he keeps showing signs of gayness and it doesn't even make sense.

And Leonard says in this episode that he's single, so it's definitely over with Priya (yay), but why didn't he go back to the cute girl from last week and try and salvage that?

"I'm not blaming anyone specifically for steadily bringing down the conversation intelligence level in here (Penny)."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
My housemates have been obsessed with this show lately, so I've seen quite a few episodes by proxy. It's alright - I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd ever actually sit down and watch it on purpose.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
Ep. 5-09 ~ THE ORNITHOPHOBIA DIFFUSION

4.5/5

Leonard and Penny's night out was awesome as the back-and-forth between them was quick and funny... but Penny is really being a bitch.  Leonard was just having fun with it making her pay her share cuz it's "not a date" but then she has to take it too far and actually try and pick up another guy?  Come on, man, have a little class.  But when they did the classic "well I won't tell (Laura) about blah blah blah" it was funny.  And, of course, "take charge Leonard" had to ruin it by being a wimpy little wuss.

Sheldon versus The Bird was fun also and when it sat in his spot it was priceless. 

Is it just me or is Amy/Mayim getting uglier and more cylindrically-shaped with every episode?  Sorry to be mean but she's so fugly.

We have to start the movie before George Lucas changes it again."  Gold.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
Ep. 5-10 ~ THE FLAMING SPITOON ACQUISITION

3.5/5

I'm way late on this one but that's ok cuz I'm the only one who watches this show here anyway.

Stuart asking out Amy was... interesting.  Seeing Sheldon trying to figure out how to deal with the situation was great.  It's like watching a baby try a new food that they aren't sure about so they make that face but ultimately they need to eat to live so it looks like, eventually, Sheldon and Amy will have kids but I hope that's after the show ends and they don't actually have to show that develop.

I really loved how the guys were nerding out over the Ka'aa cards and their special editions that they all had to get a version of.

And you gotta love Sheldon for getting his money's worth out of the things he buys by immersing himself in the activity by dressing up or pantomiming actions.  Great stuff.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
I love this show.  I'm in the middle of the second season.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »

The unfunny kind.

Imo.

My parents love this show and when I had Community on my mom scoffed "its pretty bad when this is the only thing on TV". I love her too much to kill her but I was mildly tempted.

I can't believe that BBT is murdering Community! 

Community is one of very few shows I really love; it shouldn't be getting ripped out of existence by this to make room for Whitney!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »
I haven't gotten around to watching all episodes in S5 yet, I've seen a few though.
Nothing beats the first 2 (or 3) seasons for me, while I don't really dislike Amy, Bernadette or Priya, I don't think they add too much to the show, and I really liked it more when they focused on the core-characters. (the gang and Penny)
It's quite obvious that people meet new people in their lives, but now it feels more like a solid gang of 8 or so, then the gang of 5, which leaves less time for the characters I like to shine.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »
Woo hoo!  Nice to see a little action in this thread!

I've said it before that there are too many characters now and the core is being diluted.  It used to be the 3+2 gang and then occasionally a Mom or sister would show up for some tomfoolery.  I hate Amy.

I really miss the "family" characters like Leonard's Mom... and there are other members that have been talked about but never seen that I'd be more interested in than Amy and even as cute as Bernadette is I'd much rather have more comic book store stuff.  Even the Wil Wheaton stories are stupid after the bowling episode.

I am VERY happy that Priya is finally out of the picture, hopefully permanently, but she did have a wicked story when she lawyer'd Sheledon's ass on the roommate agreement.

Even with current shortcomings, the show is still a lot of fun and the fact that it's all about nerd culture is right up my alley.

Kosmo

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 02:02:30 AM »
Ehh.. I'm not really feeling this season. It has had it's moments but overall it's getting pretty dull.  :(

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 02:40:12 AM »
Has anyone noticed the pretty big change in Sheldon's voice? :P
I really like it like it was in the first 2-3 seasons, more squeaky, but that's sorta his thing, to sound whiny in a very light voice.
Now he just sounds... weird.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Ep. 5-11 ~ THE SPECKERMAN RECURRENCE

1/5

Really lame episode.

First, Leonard should have Facebooked him back asking what he wanted instead of just agreeing to meet him.

Second, when the bully showed that he still hasn't changed the next morning Leonard should have said "I'll throw you out of my apartment myself" instead of just pathetically shoving him and then saying "uh-oh".  And then they both run down the stairs leaving the bully alone to ransack their place?  How dumb can 2 geniuses be?  Personally, I stood up to one of my bullies in high school, and then he never bothered me again cuz I stood my ground.  All Leonard did was to make it worse.

Finally, Penny is a bully herself, what a shock and for her to not even realize it now that she's "mature" shows how stupid she really is.  And clothing donation bins aren't just open like that, they are locked to prevent exactly what they were doing, which was stealing clothes meant for the needy.

Just bad writing and a bad story through-and-through.  Confronting childhood bullies is a great concept but this was so poorly executed.  The ONLY redeeming aspect was when Sheldon was actually showing some backbone in the bar while Leonard was being insulted... even though he wasn't, but Sheldon stood up for him.

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »
Maybe it's about time i post in this thread, since I've seen every episode, and not just once each.

Liking season 5 better than the 4th, at the end of the last season there were almost more of a drama series than a comedy show. I agree with you that there are too many characters, but now it looks like the Priya thing caught an end. No big fan of Amy. Comicbook-store-girl was cool.

(Oh, and btw, I'm the guy who won your dt-x-contest thingy, in case you didn't know.)

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
I've actually stopped caring and watching. Just completely lost interest in the show.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »

yummy
loved her parts in Dexter (you know the ones :caffeine: )

Kosmo

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
I've actually stopped caring and watching. Just completely lost interest in the show.
Pretty much this.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
I started watching The Big Bang Theory several months ago and it's pretty much the only "new" sit-com that I enjoy--this and How I Met Your Mother. I enjoy the former more so, however. It also means a little more to me because I am a huge Roseanne fan, so with a cast like Johnny Galecki, Sara Gilbert, and Laurie Metcalf, it almost feels like a mini Roseanne continuation.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Slain

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
I liked the first few seasons and the newer episodes have their moments, but Amy drives me absolutely insane. A big pet peeve of mine is when a character is introduced in a comedy show that is supposed to be funny just because he/she is similar to another character. She was obviously added because some writer said "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if there was a female character who is a lot like Sheldon?" She's like an unfunny Sheldon.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
@ Guitalguy
I sent out all 3 prizes last Tuesday but don't know how long they'll take to arrive.