Author Topic: Best concept album of all time?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Best concept album of all time?
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
I think The Wall is not a very good album. Your opinion is now invalid.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
But "best" and "favorite" are both subjective aren't they? So whatever one you think is the best is your favorite. "The Wall" used to be ure favorite but now you are burned out on it so SFAM is now ure favorite. So ure favorite is subject to change.

Yes...favorite is subject to change...but that doesn't really have anything to do with it.  (see my Kix/Extreme comparison)  Even though I prefer SFAM these days...I still think The Wall is a stronger album.  Not saying SFAM isn't great, but someone's gotta be second best.   The Wall is better written, better executed, more emotional, reaches a wider range of emotions and is more *personal* of an album than SFAM is.    It's just a better album IMO. 

"Best" can also be subjective.   If I were to ever hear an album that absolutely hit a home run on an emotional and artistic level even more than The Wall (which I can't imagine, but I suppose it's possible) then that album would become "the best"....but if there's another album that I simply enjoy listening to...even if it's NOT the artistic genius that the first one is...then that will be my favorite.   

I judge "best" strictly on artistic merit...I judge "favorite" over whether or not I like it regardless of whether or not it's great from an artistic standpoint.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
I think The Wall is not a very good album. Your opinion is now invalid.

:rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Marilllion - Misplaced Childhood (Best album of all-time.) Full Stop Period.
This

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Mudvayne: LD 50
Pearl Jam: Vitalogy
Opeth: Damnation
Thrice: Artist in the Ambulance
BTBAM: Alaska
Tool: Lateralus
Metallica: AJFA
DT: ADTOE
The Number 12 Looks Like You: Mongrel

Pretty much none of these are concept albums. :lol
Hmmm you might be right since most of these are more like experimental albums. Except Lateralus, that one is definitely a concept album. Vitalogy is very experimental which is why I like it so much but it kinda sounds and flows like a concept album.

Other concept albums I forgot and I really like:

Mastodon: CTS
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
I have a pretty loose definition of a concept album. Some people are probably gonna argue "thematic album blahblahblah" but i don't care so shut up

DT - SFAM (the one DT album i still thoroughly enjoy, lots of interesting stuff going on in it)
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, FOABP
The Dear Hunter - All of them, including TCS
Pink Floyd - Animals
The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Emilie Autumn - Opheliac
Thrice - The Alchemy Index

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
But "best" and "favorite" are both subjective aren't they? So whatever one you think is the best is your favorite. "The Wall" used to be ure favorite but now you are burned out on it so SFAM is now ure favorite. So ure favorite is subject to change.

Yes...favorite is subject to change...but that doesn't really have anything to do with it.  (see my Kix/Extreme comparison)  Even though I prefer SFAM these days...I still think The Wall is a stronger album.  Not saying SFAM isn't great, but someone's gotta be second best.   The Wall is better written, better executed, more emotional, reaches a wider range of emotions and is more *personal* of an album than SFAM is.    It's just a better album IMO. 

"Best" can also be subjective.   If I were to ever hear an album that absolutely hit a home run on an emotional and artistic level even more than The Wall (which I can't imagine, but I suppose it's possible) then that album would become "the best"....but if there's another album that I simply enjoy listening to...even if it's NOT the artistic genius that the first one is...then that will be my favorite.   

I judge "best" strictly on artistic merit...I judge "favorite" over whether or not I like it regardless of whether or not it's great from an artistic standpoint.   

OK well said I hear where you are coming from. Our tastes are similar also. I still don't necessarily agree but thanks for the explanation.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
<begin rant here>

Why do some people have such a difficult time grasping the English fucking language?  *Best* and *favorite* mean two different things.  Look it up in a dictionary if you have to.  Jammin... you're spot on.  Letters... the fact you think The Wall isn't a very good album pretty much sums it up (unless you were just trollin).

In my opinion, The Wall is the best (which is what the OP asked for... but then ironically lists his favorites).

<end rant>
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
Also I've never heard a PT song...not one. My favorite bands are DT, Pagans Mind, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Adagio, ect...What album should I order of PT? Or would I even like them based on those favorites i listed? I don't wanna listen to a single song I just wanna gamble and dive into an album. Where to start?

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »
<begin rant here>

Why do some people have such a difficult time grasping the English fucking language?  *Best* and *favorite* mean two different things.  Look it up in a dictionary if you have to.  Jammin... you're spot on.  Letters... the fact you think The Wall isn't a very good album pretty much sums it up (unless you were just trollin).

In my opinion, The Wall is the best (which is what the OP asked for... but then ironically lists his favorites).

<end rant>

Sorry man just for me if I think it's the best it's my favorite. Anyways it's no big deal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
Also I've never heard a PT song...not one. My favorite bands are DT, Pagans Mind, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Adagio, ect...What album should I order of PT? Or would I even like them based on those favorites i listed? I don't wanna listen to a single song I just wanna gamble and dive into an album. Where to start?

I'd put myself in the same boat as you, except I have listened to PT.  While I'm a fairly vocal critic of PT, I still think In Absentia and Deadwing should be decent for you to start and you may like it, but don't start on the early albums or you might be turned off by them all together since their early albums are more Floydian and subdued.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »

I'd put myself in the same boat as you, except I have listened to PT.  While I'm a fairly vocal critic of PT, I still think In Absentia and Deadwing should be decent for you to start and you may like it, but don't start on the early albums or you might be turned off by them all together since their early albums are more Floydian and subdued.

Ok thanks dude. What don't you like about them?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Not actually a huge concept album enthusiast, but that one owns my soul each and every time.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »
Snow by Spock's Beard

Yep. I really do love this album and it's one of my favorite albums of all time, not just among concept albums.

Also, NDV's re-imagining of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with Rewiring Genesis was brilliant! It gave new life to a classic, and it's slightly more entertaining with it's unique interpretations of many songs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!