Author Topic: Metal/Rock concerts -- too loud?  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Ħ

Metal/Rock concerts -- too loud?
« on: October 01, 2011, 01:57:57 PM »

I totally get loud music.  It's the main way I listen to music on my own, really.  I've got my ipod between 80 and 90% of the maximum volume most of the time.  But I think that the sound levels for modern rock concerts is just WAY too loud.

First, it muddies the sound.  You can't pick out individual parts or anything.  Sometimes, even rhythm gets muddied.  You start hearing notes that aren't notes at all (just overtones/screeches/something), and you can barely separate out the melody from the rest of the music.

Even when I saw Eisley with Sigz, I thought the volume level was overbearing, and it detracted from the performance and sound quality.  Even the girls in the band commented on having to push their voices over the noise.  (In contrast, when Christie Dupree opened, I thought her volume was perfect for a concert.)

Second, hearing damage.  Every time I've been to a concert, even with seats that are further back, I go half-deaf for about a day, and have a constant ringing in my ears.  I'm guessing that it is exactly what permanent tinnitus sounds like.  I don't think I'm more sensitive than other people, seeing as I listen to loud iPod music all the time.

And the third thing, if you take measures to reduce the volume (like earplugs), you cancel out the lower and higher ends of the sound mix.  So it's a lose-lose situation, really.

I don't really hear this sentiment from anyone on the forum, although I hear it a lot in real life.  That makes me think that somehow I'm missing something (like, if they reduced the volume level to 75% of what it was, would it actually be worse?).

Do I have any sympathizers?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Metal/Rock concerts -- too loud?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
I agree, but still, listening to music loud just gives me a sense of "I'm Awesome", and at concerts no one has to hear me sing a long.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:04 PM »
Do those two reasons really outweigh the cons?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
Depends on the venue really, then again I listen to Extreme Metal which is LOUD to begin with, so I guess I'd disagree with you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
How long will it take for someone to say "20/20 is for vision"
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
My ears rang for 2, maybe 3, days after seeing a 4-hour 311 show. I know whatcha mean brah. Luckily for me I hardly get the chance to go to concerts any more so I still have 20/20 hearing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
I agree with you.  The Foo Fighters concert I went to two weeks ago was deafeningly loud (and their opener was just as loud). 

And what sucks is that wearing ear plugs at a concert dilutes the quality and nothing sounds as good.  It is like listening to a stereo with blankets over the speakers.  I even tried good ear plugs and the sound was virtually the same.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
I really like the fact that concerts are loud as fuck, especially when it's a band you love, I was awestruck the entire time at the Children of Bodom, Devin Townsend, and Obscura (sorry Septic Flesh, you weren't good) concert back in July.  It was bloody amazing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
And the third thing, if you take measures to reduce the volume (like earplugs), you cancel out the lower and higher ends of the sound mix.  So it's a lose-lose situation, really.

Only if you're using earplugs meant for protection rather than musical uses. You can get reusable earplugs with a flat frequency response for like 8 bucks on amazon.

Hearing wise, concerts probably are too loud. However, there's a much more physical sensation that accompanies the high volume, and it's one of the things that makes concerts a unique experience.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
Do those two reasons really outweigh the cons?

Not really. I don't go to too many shows, so it really doesn't matter for me.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
The only times where the sound has been loud in a bad way were at O Brother opening for The Dear Hunter, The Mars Volta, and Torche/Circa Survive opening for Coheed.  Otherwise, yes concerts can be very loud, but I've never had ringing in my ears unless I was near the front of the stage.  So far, only Torche/Circa/Coheed in Atlanta and O Brother made my ears ring the next day, IIRC.  I didn't have any ringing after the Opeth concert and I was probably in the middle of the crowd (seating section, directly ahead of the speaker, but just trying to give a relative sense of where I was).  The sound at that show was also pretty damn close to perfect.

So honestly I don't think most concerts I've been to have been THAT loud, but I guess it just differs for everybody. *shrug*

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »
Now that I think of it, not all of them were totally loud.

Dream Theater PN09 - 5% too loud (outdoor)
Dream Theater/IM - perfect (outdoor)
Dream Theater 2011 - 10% too loud
Sonata Arctica - 20% too loud
Symphony X - 10% too loud
Eisley - 10% too loud
Roger Waters' The Wall - perfect

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
When I went to see Rush last year, the sound was so loud it muddled. I totally feel you on this one. I forgot to bring my sort-of-high-tech drumming earplugs that block out the frequencies that aren't needed (they are HEAROS if anyone is interested), so I had to borrow my friend's crappy regular block-out-everything plugs. It worked out OK, but i would definitely prefer my drumming plugs.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
I can only think of a couple of times the sound was "too loud"... Aerosmith (twice), MGMT (whoever was working the mixing board was NOT doing their job)... and that might actually be it. I rarely wear ear plugs, which I know is bad, but I play music even louder in my room than I hear at a lot of concerts, so my ears are probably FUBAR already.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
Deep Purple concert in 1985 blew my ears out.  I heard ringing for 3 days.  Loudest concert I ever went to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
When I went to see Rush last year, the sound was so loud it muddled. I totally feel you on this one. I forgot to bring my sort-of-high-tech drumming earplugs that block out the frequencies that aren't needed (they are HEAROS if anyone is interested), so I had to borrow my friend's crappy regular block-out-everything plugs. It worked out OK, but i would definitely prefer my drumming plugs.

Really?  Every time I've seen Rush the sound has been spot-on!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
The majority of the concerts I have been to have caused hearing loss for at least a little while.  I really don't mind all that much though, as I rarely go to concerts.

Now that I think about it, the sound at the Bright Eyes concert was probably about perfect.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
I have to wear earplugs at concerts because I work in construction, and have for quite some time, and the sheer volume of that industry has probably damaged my ears more than all the concerts I've been to combined. My hearing's already bad enough as it is, a band blasting at max volume is going to be trouble for me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »

Really?  Every time I've seen Rush the sound has been spot-on!

Well, I was outside and right near a speaker....  :smiley:
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Yes they are too fucking loud. Now somebody recommend me some good earplugs. And while you're at it get off my lawn.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 02:09:13 AM »
I can probably agree.
Even though I never (or very rarely) use earplugs, mostly because I feel like they would remove a certain % of the music, I still don't feel like my hearing has took a beating from the high sound.
I don't know, maybe I always manage to stand at a pretty good spot, like in the middle instead of standing next to a speaker, but this far I have managed well. :)

And besides, having seen Mogwai live without earplugs, I don't think anything will beat that loudness-level.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 02:14:07 AM »
Concerts are loud. They kind of have to be so the music can be heard by everyone, and over the crowd noise. But there have only been a couple that I've found excessively loud. KISS was too loud, and left my ears with a high pitched noise the rest of the night. I had ear plugs for AC/DC, and it was much better, but I always forget to bring earplugs to other concerts, because it really helps to hear everything clearly. I don't mind loud, but for the sake of my hearing, I'd rather just use ear plugs to be safe.

But I've never stood near the front, because it probably would be waaaaaayyyy too loud, and I like a good mix.

Lowest volume concert I've ever been to was Iron Maiden. They were really soft. I'm not sure they could have gotten away with that soft at most venues, but it was at a great venue, so it was perfect.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »
Concerts are too loud, but that's the way I like it! At a gig I can completely lose myself for a few hours and being totally overwhelmed by the music is a big part of that experience. And concerts apparantly are not as loud as they used to be. My Dad told me he went to see Golden Earring and they had quadrophonic sound, and it was so loud people were passing out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 04:47:57 AM »
Some of the best sounding shows I've ever go to were on the low end of loudness. 

Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Steely Dan
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 06:07:27 AM »
I have permanent tinnitus from attending too many super loud gigs (including my own) and not wearing ear plugs... I find they make me feel really disconnected from the music, even though people say you can hear it more clearly I always feel like something's missing, during gigs where I've worn earplugs I've always felt as though I'm separated from the action and not in control enough to properly pick up on what the rest of my band were doing or be confident I was always playing the right notes. I'm sure paying for it now, though.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:39 AM »
Yeah I think it's too loud. I use earplugs and the sound is great. I want to keep my ears.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
I can't hear this thread?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
I can't hear silence anymore. It sucks, I really miss laying and hearing a quiet room.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
I can't remember the last time I heard silence, but living and working in London means that even at night there's always some sort of noise around. I also think that rather than loud concerts damaging my hearing, it's more likely to be listening to headphones too loudly, which I am well aware I do.

Offline jsem

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
it's more likely to be listening to headphones too loudly
That is very dangerous indeed

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
it's more likely to be listening to headphones too loudly
That is very dangerous indeed
It is.  I do it all the time, and my hearing is noticeably lacking. 

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
just wear proper earplugs guys, 15-35 dollar pairs usually work for over a year. i got mine free at this hearing seminar thingo we had at my school. it's been through concerts of all kinds, and lawnmowing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »

lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
Oh.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:17 AM »
Dubstep concerts - too bassy?

Classical concerts - too formal?

Black metal concerts - too kvlt?

I actually agree though, to some extent. I mean, I realise rock concerts are supposed to be loud, but I've seen bands that I got the feeling were so excessively loud, it was like, WE'RE SO FUCKING LOUD, YOU CAN BARELY HEAR WHAT'S GOING ON AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD THE SONGS ARE OR HOW WELL WE'RE PLAYING THEM, BUT HOLY CUNTDOLPHINS WE'RE SO LOUD, YOU KNOW WE ROCK HARD!!!!!!!!!