Author Topic: Greatest single musician in history?  (Read 13894 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Greatest single musician in history?
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
Jack Conte makes music that really just blows my mind, and he's such a radular bastard.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
Fred Durst.

For anyone who disagrees, watch this video and I'm sure you'll change your mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Chuck Schuldiner.

Obligatory Chuck fanboy bromance solidarity quote with equally obligatory emotes:

:heart :heart :heart :metal :heart :heart :heart
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
I change my answer.

Derek Sherinian is the greatest single musician ever.

Emphasis on "single."

;)
:lol

My favorites are Kerry Livgren and Neal Morse, but I can't really call them the greatest. I think some people UNDERRATE classical composers. Steven Wilson is greater than Beethoven? You also have to look at a musician's influence and how long their music will endure.
Well the whole question is basically a "pick your favorite" anyways.  We're all just using different criteria to come to the answer, I guess.  I think SW's body of work qualifies for him to be the greatest musician in my mind, regardless of whether anybody remembers Porcupine Tree 100 years after he dies.  If we cared about influence I think everybody's only option would be to pick The Beatles :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
David Hasselhoff

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I change my answer.

Derek Sherinian is the greatest single musician ever.

Emphasis on "single."

;)

:clap:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2011, 02:03:45 AM »
Probably some classical music dude.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2011, 05:58:51 AM »
Clearly this is going to be highly subjective.. But I didn't really ask who society feels is the best musician in history. It's really just a personal thing. Some people think influance + songwriting = best (McCartney).. Some people, like me, think that innovation and production are more important. It's also based on knowledge of musicians, most of the world has never heard of Steven Wilson or Devin Townsend. It's not like there is a right answer to this.

I can't say that Devin's music is something that I would consider my favorite to listen to. But I have never seen someone change styles so flawlessly ever. He has such a huge, and varied, volume of music. That's a reason that I think saying Mozart or Beethoven are the best is completely silly. Yes, they were influancial as hell and very well trained. But were they really that innovative? To me, they never broke out of the classical structure (although I'm not familiar will ALL of their work) long enough to even attempt writing innovative music. They followed the status quo of what was basically the equivilant of pop music at the time. But it's all based on perception and what factors you feel are the most important I guess.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2011, 06:05:25 AM »
Steven Wilson. A question like that can really only be answered subjectively, unless you want to create a grid and place every well known (even that is hard to define) musician in and assess them by technical skill, records sold, career length, productivity rates, influence on others etc. Personally it's Steven Wilson. Out of my entire music catalogue he has by far written the most number of tracks that I love, I reach for Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, or his solo work on a daily basis and haven't grown tired of PT in the 7 years I've been listening to them. His music touches a place in my heart that not many other people's does. He is also a very good guitarist, a fact usually lost amongst fans of people like Petrucci and Romeo... he may not be a virtuoso but he has a solid enough command to have written songs in a massively wide variety of styles. Not to mention his voice, his piano skills etc. Just an all round master of music imo.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
I agree that Mr.Wilson is a great guitarist, but in debates about being a good musician, I think that playing fast or being technical very often comes before playing with feel and passion.
Steven Wilson does not play insanely fast or technical, but he plays with such passion, such emotion, and I think that within that certain 'field' of guitar-playing, SW is one of the best. IMO of course.  :)

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »
Rebecca Black :metal
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
I agree that Mr.Wilson is a great guitarist, but in debates about being a good musician, I think that playing fast or being technical very often comes before playing with feel and passion.
Steven Wilson does not play insanely fast or technical, but he plays with such passion, such emotion, and I think that within that certain 'field' of guitar-playing, SW is one of the best. IMO of course.  :)

Exactly. Mad skillz mean nothing if you're not touching someone with them. Which isn't to say I don't think Petrucci or Romeo can touch my soul, they can and do. But Mr Wilson does so just as much. And the quality of his songwriting is stellar.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
I can't say that Devin's music is something that I would consider my favorite to listen to. But I have never seen someone change styles so flawlessly ever. He has such a huge, and varied, volume of music. That's a reason that I think saying Mozart or Beethoven are the best is completely silly. Yes, they were influancial as hell and very well trained. But were they really that innovative? To me, they never broke out of the classical structure (although I'm not familiar will ALL of their work) long enough to even attempt writing innovative music. They followed the status quo of what was basically the equivilant of pop music at the time. But it's all based on perception and what factors you feel are the most important I guess.
Although people lump it all in as one type of music, classical isn't really one thing. Symphonies, sonatas, string quartets, chamber trios, concerti (piano, cello, violin, etc), nocturnes, operas, tone poems, ballets, etc, etc -  they're all quite separate and distinct forms. There are a number of composers who could write really well in one or two or three of those forms, but fell flat in others, or never even attempted others (Mahler with symphonies, Wagner with operas, Rachmaninoff with piano concerti, etc). When you get right down to it, there's probably just as much, if not more difference between a nocturne and an opera than there is between, for example, a progressive metal song and a drum and bass piece, or an acoustic folk song. So to praise Devin Townsend for being varied, and then saying Mozart and Beethoven only wrote within a narrow framework... well, I couldn't agree at all. Yes, everything they wrote was "classical", but look at the number of different types of composition they mastered and their scope was just enormous.

Not to mention that both men were hugely innovative within classical music itself, and did anything but follow the status quo. That'd be like saying McCarteney and Lennon followed the status quo because they played guitars.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2011, 01:12:56 AM »
You're right, I probably shouldn't have generalized a style of music I know far less about than is required to have an intelligent discussion on the subject. Frankly, I have heard very little classical music that hasn't bored me to tears. It's strange, I enjoy the classical style music that I hear through some of my favorite artists, yet I dislike about 90% of the traditional classical music I have heard. The style just lacks a certain intensity that I crave out of music and goes for a much more subtle intensity that I find less gratifying I suppose. But yes, you are right, and I'm sorry for pretending to know anything about the classical music genre.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »
The internet would be a much happier and better place if everyone had your tact and level of honesty 3xodus. Also, your username's spelling makes me wanna come up with kooky alternate pronuciations like THREEK-suh-dis and THREE-zoh-dis.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »
The internet would be a much happier and better place if everyone had your tact and level of honesty 3xodus. Also, your username's spelling makes me wanna come up with kooky alternate pronuciations like THREEK-suh-dis and THREE-zoh-dis.

:lol thanks floyd.. I kind of like thr :eek zoh-duhs-myself. It was going to be exodus way back in the days of my online gaming on mplayer and heat.net, but it was taken on mplayer :(.. So I've used the 3 ever since.

It's not too hard to be honest about being wrong when your argument is so totally blown out of the water. I think it's easy to admit when you're wrong, the hard part is changing the way you think. I hate judgements and preconcieved ideas, but sometimes I surprise myself with how many of those I still hold. I'm weeding them out all the time, though. The basic function of forums in my life is to get other peoples input that will change my mind and make me more knowledgable about something I'm interested in. :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Although people lump it all in as one type of music, classical isn't really one thing. Symphonies, sonatas, string quartets, chamber trios, concerti (piano, cello, violin, etc), nocturnes, operas, tone poems, ballets, etc, etc -  they're all quite separate and distinct forms. There are a number of composers who could write really well in one or two or three of those forms, but fell flat in others, or never even attempted others (Mahler with symphonies, Wagner with operas, Rachmaninoff with piano concerti, etc). When you get right down to it, there's probably just as much, if not more difference between a nocturne and an opera than there is between, for example, a progressive metal song and a drum and bass piece, or an acoustic folk song. So to praise Devin Townsend for being varied, and then saying Mozart and Beethoven only wrote within a narrow framework... well, I couldn't agree at all. Yes, everything they wrote was "classical", but look at the number of different types of composition they mastered and their scope was just enormous.

Not to mention that both men were hugely innovative within classical music itself, and did anything but follow the status quo. That'd be like saying McCarteney and Lennon followed the status quo because they played guitars.

it's not different than jazz, rock, metal or hip-hop getting lumped into one "thing"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
I only really listen to classical and rock, so the 2 names that pop into my head are:

Beethoven

Jimmy Page
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

This!!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
[Mozart] composed over 600 works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music.

He was playing multiple instruments and composing at the age of 5.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
^Plus he could bench 240, his dick was 9 inches, and he made the best chicken a l'orange in town.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
^Plus he could bench 240, his dick was 9 inches, and he made the best chicken a l'orange in town.
:lol :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
For some reason Zappa and Chopin were the first two to come to mind.
I support these two nominations.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
The guy in my avatar. :metal :hefdaddy

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
I hope to god you don't mean Yngwie.

Kosmo

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
What I want to say: Freddie Mercury
What I think: Mozart

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
I hope to god you don't mean Yngwie.

Now that's funny.

It's EVH.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Oh thank god, I couldn't quite tell.  I'm okay with EVH though  :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
lolEVH

He's way overrated imo

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
lolEVH

He's way overrated imo
Correct.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Disagree.   :-\
EDIT: But Chuck Schuldiner is always the answer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:41:11 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
The only correct answer is Steven Wilson :p

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
This thread makes my avatar a happy dead man.

But seriously, I couldn't say. As much of a Zappa fanatic I am, and as much as I want to support my vision of him being one of the greatest "artists" of all time (or dare I say, some sort of modern Uomo Universalis?), I don't know what the 'Greatest Musician" means.

The best at his instrument ever? Then you've gotta compare guys like Mike Mangini, Virgil Donati and Marco Minnemann, with guys like Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan and Allan Holdsworth. Leaving out everybody that's operating in different genres (I've seen a lot of people make notice of classical composers, some of which were even just mainly composers, not that great in their instrument)

Is it composing? Then next to personal taste, I disgust Mozart and Bach for instance, but I love Steve Reich or Arvo Part, or even Johannes Ockeghem on occasion, it's indeed a matter of 'who do we know, and why is that guy the best known for his day and age? Most of it has to do with the 'divine support' he got. Apart from that, songwriters, or composers in this modern day (Neal Morse, Roger Waters, and yes there he is: Frank Zappa, Mickael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson etc.) are mostly assisted by a producer, or a band at least to make what they made.

Productivity is mentioned (Merzbow, Zappa again, may I mention Klaus Schulze?) or progressiveness (Brian Eno, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, but also the guys from Sunn O))), maybe Mike Patton even) or 'feel and passion' (David Gilmour, Jonsi, Daniel Gildenlow perhaps, Damien Rice), but all of those in itself are not enough to make a complete musician.

So:

in the tl;dr section:

Zappa.

Playing good: Inca Roads
Composing good: Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Producing/bandleading good: Billy The Mountain
Producutivity good: well, it's a wide range of styles, check out: The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny
Progressiveness: Bebop Tango
Feel and passion: Black Napkins, or: Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk (the second half)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »
lolEVH

He's way overrated imo

He's really not.  I wouldn't call him the single greatest musician in history, but his greatness and influence as a guitar player, the instrument that defines rock music like no other, cannot be denied.  Sure, the guy has turned out to be a major douchenozzle, but his legacy is pretty much set in stone.