Author Topic: Greatest single musician in history?  (Read 13898 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Greatest single musician in history?
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Mozart has to many qualities to not be the answer, honestly.

That said,  while quietly flying under the radar,  Rik Emmett is probably the very best guitarist AND singer ever.  There are people who are better at each craft, but not at both.  He's demonstrated remarkable versatility in his playing.  He's written fantastic songs.  He was a great showman.  Right up to the point he packed up and dropped out of a successful band because he wanted to do his own thing making 1/100th of the money. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
Triumph.  Now THERE'S a band I wouldn't mind seeing re-form.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
I read this thread while ago.... and Dave Mustaine popped into mind.... then wanted to take some time to think through.....
that done... still Mustaine....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
Triumph.  Now THERE'S a band I wouldn't mind seeing re-form.
It's about 4 years too late now.  They did a couple of gigs last year (I think) that didn't work too well.  RE's voice held out superbly until about '07, then it took a pretty big hit.  Tragic, if you ask me.  Add to that,  Metalworks keeps Gil Moore fairly occupied.  Apparently the two gigs were the first time he'd played drums in 15 years. 

That said,  I've seen a few of the Rik Emmett network gigs and the guy still puts on a fantastic show.  Belting out Ordinary Man even tuned down half a step is still an awesome thing to behold.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
I still remember when we saw Rik Emmett live in the late 90s I think it was, and when he got the part in Ordinary Man where the word "answer" echoes (near the end), when he paused, the entire crowd did the echo part several times, and Emmett got this big grin on his face, like, "Wow, that is not even one of my/Triumph's biggest hits and the fans still knew to do that."  Awesome moment. :coolio