Author Topic: Greatest single musician in history?  (Read 13900 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Greatest single musician in history?
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
^This.  If EVH is overrated, then everybody else that has been named in this thread is even further overrated.  Like Kev, I'm not saying he's the greatest musician ever or even the greatest guitarist.  He is one of the greatest guitarists ever, but definitely not overrated.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »
Huey Lewis.

It's hip to be square isn't it Kev.

hmm musician....to me, not a writer, not a composer, simply a player. So who..WHO has played their instrument better than any other at any other instrument.

Im going to go with that jazz guitarist....that wears the stripe shirt..I forget his name, big pooofy white afro hair. He's the best them.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
Pat Metheny?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »
My favorite musician of all time is Mikael Akerfeldt.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
I won't comment on EVH in his heyday, but he is pretty horrible now.  :-\ I saw VH in 2007 and his guitar playing was some of the worst I have ever seen in a live setting. Holy shit, his guitar "solo" was so bad and sloppy that I couldn't believe it was serious.

Sorry, not to shit on anyone's favorite musician, and maybe I caught him on a bad night, but it was really embarrassing.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Bob Dylan probably sees the closest convergence between my personal taste and other stuff, like how influential/prolific they were, etc.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
Pat Metheny?

yup
that's him.

Watched him do the bass line and lead of his number on the same instrument.....
If I go through my top five musicians at every instrument...and then say ok...."who's the best of them at being the best"...it's him.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »
Greatest musician is Bach, but I'd say my favorite ATM is Steven Wilson.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
I might want to retract my statement about Bach being the greatest musician.

Best composer, yes. Greatest musician should go to someone like Paganini, Miles Davis or Art Tatum.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
Well Bach wás an incredible musician in his days. Story goes that he could play stuff with his feet that the best organ players couldn't play with their hands.

But then again, there's no way to say that's legit information.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Kanye... wait for it... West.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »

Even as a joke it doesn't work. He's just that bad. I'll let it slide though since you have a pretty good overall record with your posts :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
I'm gonna plead the fifth on this one.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »

Even as a joke it doesn't work. He's just that bad. I'll let it slide though since you have a pretty good overall record with your posts :tup

His latest CD was good though. Still haven't heard the rest yet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
^This.  If EVH is overrated, then everybody else that has been named in this thread is even further overrated.  Like Kev, I'm not saying he's the greatest musician ever or even the greatest guitarist.  He is one of the greatest guitarists ever, but definitely not overrated.

Yep. EVH's influence on rock music and guitar playing in general is huge and undeniable, and changed music more than almost anyone else named in this thread. It's probably all too easy to forget or overlook that since the guy hasn't done much in the past 20 years, and has made a lot of bad decisions in that time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

Yep. EVH's influence on rock music and guitar playing in general is huge and undeniable, and changed music more than almost anyone else named in this thread. It's probably all too easy to forget or overlook that since the guy hasn't done much in the past 20 years, and has made a lot of bad decisions in that time.

Come on guy, Wolfgang is the second coming of Jaco.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
Um, no. Everyone knows EVH just ripped off The White Stripes. He even admitted it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZQabD9A-cU

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »

Come on guy, Wolfgang is the second coming of Jaco.

*investigates facts*

It all checks out. I think you're onto something here. And clearly, so was Eddie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
Glad to see someone's had their reality pills today. I think any true VH fan would agree the move was imperative so as not to disturb the inevitable foration of a supergroup amongst supergroups, The Red Hot Satchy Halens a.k.a. Chickenfoot.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Putting my rabid fanboy aside for a moment, I can look at this objectively and say Devin Townsend without even thinking about it. No single musician in history has had a more varied career than Devin. Once you find me another musician who has experimented with industrial death metal (though, SYL are pretty much in a league of their own. They defy all classification), pop-punk, ambient drone, ambient nature music, swing metal, pop metal, every single form of metal under the sun (Deconstruction), 60s rock, and the multitude of styles displayed on any of his solo albums, I'll reconsider.

Had you asked me a few years ago, it would be Steven Wilson. The thing about Steven Wilson is that he never plays with very much technicality, which definitely doesn't affect my ability to listen to Porcupine Tree (though, most of it sounds pretty damn boring after being exposed to an album like Deconstruction), but Devin Townsend has proven numerous times that he is a fucking master of the guitar, but he chooses not to display it all the time because he's actually tasteful.

The other Steven Wilson argument would be that he's an amazing songwriter, and while I agree, SW has never written anything that comes close to the level of emotion displayed in The Death of Music.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
Putting my rabid fanboy aside for a moment, I can look at this objectively and say Devin Townsend without even thinking about it. No single musician in history has had a more varied career than Devin. Once you find me another musician who has experimented with industrial death metal (though, SYL are pretty much in a league of their own. They defy all classification), pop-punk, ambient drone, ambient nature music, swing metal, pop metal, every single form of metal under the sun (Deconstruction), 60s rock, and the multitude of styles displayed on any of his solo albums, I'll reconsider.

Zappa.

I am a much bigger Devin fan than Zappa, but Zappa had a much more varied career than what Devin is having.  That is not a discredit to Devin so much as it is a testament to how all over the place Zappa was.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
So suddenly, best musician = musician with most genre changes?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
If you actually read that, he was saying beause of how he does it so masterfully and everything he does is a milestone for said genre.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
Once you find me another musician who has experimented with industrial death metal (though, SYL are pretty much in a league of their own. They defy all classification), pop-punk, ambient drone, ambient nature music, swing metal, pop metal, every single form of metal under the sun (Deconstruction), 60s rock, and the multitude of styles displayed on any of his solo albums, I'll reconsider.

Mike Patton.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »
If you actually read that, he was saying beause of how he does it so masterfully and everything he does is a milestone for said genre.
Oh ok you're right.

We're still talking about an arbitrary concept though, "greatest single musician", but that's been said already  :biggrin:

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
As far as modern, "pop culture" music (non-classical), I'd actually have to go with the first person that popped into my head: George Martin, the "5th Beatle". :hefdaddy  He took good songwriting to a different level.  Listen to the demos, then listen to the final product.  He was absolute genius.  Without him, the Beatles would not have been arguably the most influential band in the last century, especially since start to finish (accepting their "start" as when they first hit the States) they were only around for about 6 years.

Just my thoughts.  I realize that Sir Martin doesn't necessarily "play" an instrument, but he was instrumental in creating that unmistakable "Beatles sound".
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »

Fred Durst.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
As far as modern, "pop culture" music (non-classical), I'd actually have to go with the first person that popped into my head: George Martin, the "5th Beatle". :hefdaddy  He took good songwriting to a different level.  Listen to the demos, then listen to the final product.  He was absolute genius.  Without him, the Beatles would not have been arguably the most influential band in the last century, especially since start to finish (accepting their "start" as when they first hit the States) they were only around for about 6 years.

Just my thoughts.  I realize that Sir Martin doesn't necessarily "play" an instrument, but he was instrumental in creating that unmistakable "Beatles sound".
Interesting.  :)

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
Well, it was either him or Raffi.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
My favorite musician of all time is Mikael Akerfeldt.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »

Zappa.

I am a much bigger Devin fan than Zappa, but Zappa had a much more varied career than what Devin is having.  That is not a discredit to Devin so much as it is a testament to how all over the place Zappa was.

:tup

Except I am a much bigger Zappa fan.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2011, 05:03:41 AM »
Pat Metheny?

yup
that's him.

Watched him do the bass line and lead of his number on the same instrument.....
If I go through my top five musicians at every instrument...and then say ok...."who's the best of them at being the best"...it's him.

:hefdaddy

I love me some Pat

Offline jsem

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2011, 05:18:48 AM »
Pat is up there for sure.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »

Zappa.

Yep, Zappa's definitely a contender. I found Devin's discography much more consistent (though, I haven't even come close to hearing everything Zappa's done).

Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2011, 05:58:45 AM »
Prince, easily.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.