Poll

Choose...

Octavarium
156 (62.9%)
Breaking All Illusions
92 (37.1%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: Octavarium or Breaking All Illusions  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Blackfield

Re: Octavarium or Breaking All Illusions
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »
Breaking All Illusions have a quality to it that remains through the whole song, it has a constant flow. It feels like it's 5 minutes or something. The problem with Octavarium is that it would probably be a great song (...and not a valium substitute) if it was cut down to about the same length as BAI.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
Breaking All Illusions have a quality to it that remains through the whole song, it has a constant flow. It feels like it's 5 minutes or something. The problem with Octavarium is that it would probably be a great song (...and not a valium substitute) if it was cut down to about the same length as BAI.
This. Octavarium is IMHO the most overrated DT song; it has some good stuff, but it sounds like it was forced to be 24 minutes long.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
This. Octavarium is IMHO the most overrated DT song; it has some good stuff, but it sounds like it was forced to be 24 minutes long.

this.

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »
Breaking all Illusions is great, but Octavarium is just about the best thing ever

Offline composure77

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
I went with Octavarium, but i dont feel like anything sounds forced.. maybe the intro is a little lengthy but hey its called 'progressive' metal for a reason, right? I think it builds up to the climactic ending without any flaws.

Breaking All Illusions imo is the perfect combonation of my favorite two epics ACOS and 8vm, it has parts that are somewhat riff driven like ACOS, but still has so much feeling especially with the guitar solo and ending.

Octavarium is my favorite DT song, but I feel like BAI has the potential to be a top 10 song as well.

Offline Millais

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »
Breaking all Illusions is great, but Octavarium is just about the best thing ever

ever. EVER. EVER

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
Breaking all illusions. But Octavarium is pretty damn close.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 04:35:28 AM »
Breaking All Illusions is a great song, with the potential to become an all-time classic (maybe it's too soon to say it already is) but Octavarium is an absolute monster, so I had to choose Octavarium.

Offline Gysten

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:36 AM »
I have to say, in regards to melody, James is a beast at writing them. He ALWAYS should have. They're less predictable and more interesting IMO. However, TCOT chorus is chill inducing.

But I raise that a,

SUN, COME SHINE MY WAYYY
LET HEALING WATERS BURY ALL MAH PAINNNNNN

I mean, that part is so powerful. The lyrics, the way it's sung, the music behind it. Good lord, I'm getting an erection now.

Either way, I think 8VM is waaaay overrated. ACOS any day of the week over it.

i highly doubt james writes the melodies

I'm quite sure that he said he wrote almost all the melodies for the lyrics in a interview, and in the same interview he said he did the same thing with Images And Words. And i think that you can hear that, an example is Build Me Up, Break Me Down were the melodies sounds like the one from his solo album, Static Impulse.

I will find the interview later, got no time at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:45:57 AM by Gysten »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
Octavarium.  No competition here whatsoever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LastShoot

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
I love both songs , but i think Breaking All Illusions reminds me the I&W era (That i love (not saying i dont like the others )) , so i picked BAI.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »
I love both songs , but i think Breaking All Illusions reminds me the I&W era (That i love (not saying i dont like the others )) , so i picked BAI.

this reason exactly!  i hope they write many more songs reminicent of the i&w era.

Offline hacko

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
It's close, but I think in the end OCT has a bit more value due to making such a long song that DOES NOT bore me at any given point. Still, love BAI, and if they were the same length I think BAI would come ahead by a little bit.