Author Topic: Jethro Tull  (Read 20091 times)

Offline Unlegit

Re: Jethro Tull
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
Are there any soundboards of the TAAB tour?

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:41 AM »
Anyone else who LOVES locomotive breath?
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »
I do :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
Its excellent. I'll never get sick of it, as overplayed as it is.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Right here. I adore the piano intro.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 01:29:33 PM »
can't post the link   since work has blocked youtube  but check out Styx's cover of locomotive breath
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »

Right here. :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »
We used to play Locomotive Breath.  I play keyboards and winds, but it worked because there's piano in the intro, then it drops out when the verse starts.  You have the flute solo, then piano comes back at the end to help jam out, so I never had to do both at once.

Then one time I heard a recording of us playing it, and realized how much I totally butchered the piano intro.  The flute solo was okay, but damn, the piano solo was embarassing.  So we don't do it anymore.

Great song.  Wish I could do it justice.   :(

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
can't post the link   since work has blocked youtube  but check out Styx's cover of locomotive breath
I really like their version. I found the CD that it's from at Goodwill a couple of years ago and it's not bad for a covers album.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
I guess I'm the only one that just doesn't get into their studio work much. From the live standpoint they're one of my very favorite bands, and thankfully they have plenty of live material. Unfortunately, even the stuff I really love live doesn't do much for me in album form. Aqualung and TaaB are the only two albums I'll really listen to. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
I had Hymn 43 running through my head today....but for some reason, I kept singing the riff out loud as...

"DUNT DUNT DADDILA DUH DUH (bohica bohica bohica bohica) DUNT DUNT DADDILA DUH DUH (bohica bohica bohica bohica)"

;) :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
I had Hymn 43 running through my head today....but for some reason, I kept singing the riff out loud as...

"DUNT DUNT DADDILA DUH DUH (bohica bohica bohica bohica) DUNT DUNT DADDILA DUH DUH (bohica bohica bohica bohica)"

;) :angel:

:lol

Very accurate!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »
Is there a separate Ian Anderson topic? Couldn't find it.

Anyways, I recently bought the vinyl of Homo Eraticus for my dad and I was pleasantly surprised by it's quality. It is a really solid release, better than his other "solo" stuff I've heard. Alltough I did like TAAB2 (that album lacked a bit in structure for me though, and I thought it was a bit too repeating at times).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
New 50th Anniversary Steven Wilson remix of "This Was"....

The latest remix in the series of Jethro Tull deluxe editions is the band's brilliant debut album This Was, which will be re-released upon it's 50th anniversary as a 3CD/DVD set. Pre-order here: https://rh-ino.co/thiswas50

This Was: The 50th Anniversary Edition features my remix of the original 10 track album in stereo and surround sound, as well as the classic Love Story / Christmas Song single, and 4 previously unissued out-takes mixed from the session reels for the first time. CD2 includes BBC session recordings and other bonus tracks, whilst CD3 includes the original album mix in both stereo and mono. All of this is presented in the now standard case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

As the album was originally recorded on 4 track, you can imagine that creating a surround mix was a challenge. However, I believe something quite immersive was achieved (how it was done is explained in detail in the book) and I think surround fans will be pleasantly surprised how effective the mix is. Despite this, I did limit the channel assignment to only 4.1, not making use of the centre channel on this occasion. The exception is the post-album single Love Story / Christmas Song which appears in 5.1, since it was recorded on 8 track and therefore presented greater possibilities.

The 4 disc deluxe 50th anniversary edition of This Was will be released on 9th November by Parlophone / RHINO. As always this is a one-off pressing (many of the previous deluxe Jethro Tull editions are now sold out).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
I didn’t want to hijack the “What are you listening to” thread, but as I stated there, I’ve got some time to rip my vinyl to FLAC for portability purposes, and some of that involves a handful of JT albums that I’ve heard very little or not at all.

Part of the latter would be “A”, which I’m hearing for the first time as we speak.  I get why Ian wanted it to be a solo album, but honestly, making it a JT album seems like the right call in retrospect. In just taking the music at face value, it is definitely a change in direction, but it’s not as if JT hadn’t changed direction before. And for all the differences, there’s also A LOT of familiar things too. I think if Ian would have got his way, he would have never got past the constant comparisons. But then again, I guess there were comparisons anyway, so what do I know...

For as much as some fans have dumped on it, I’m finding it to be a breath of fresh air. It’s enough change to keep things interesting, but it still feels organic enough to give the album a sense of warmth.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »
I always enjoyed it despite the easy crap it gets by popular opinion. I find it one of the tightest - as far as band playing is concerned - and best produced in the whole catalogue.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
Ok, now I’m hearing Under Wraps for the first time.

THIS should have been a solo album. And I’m not saying that it’s bad. In fact I’m getting a completely different enjoyment out of it. But I hear almost nothing of the JT flavor that I felt was still fairly prominent on “A”.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
This has always been a sort of undercurrent with Ian, though, isn't it?  His current work fits nicely into the "Tull" universe, and yet it IS billed under his name.  I think he got tired of carrying the water and yet being beholden to the artifice of the "Tull" name.  Now, with time, we all sort of know that Tull = Ian Anderson, so it matters less.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
I love "A".  I was an Eddie Jobson fan from his work with U.K., and King Crimson before that, so him on a Tull album sounded awesome to me.  I have to admit that we didn't get a lot of violin/flute interaction, which I was looking forward to, but we get the violin on a few tracks and of course Eddie's awesome keyboards.  Plus the tunes are tight and the sound/production is great.  I've read that it's not exactly a fave among fans, but I've never really understood why.

I read an article recently where Ian Anderson went through every Tull album and gave his thoughts on each (briefly).  I think it was in the preamble to that that he talked a little bit about why some albums are Jethro Tull and some are Ian Anderson.  It's pretty much what you'd expect.  Yes, he was the main force behind Jethro Tull, but he felt that Jethro Tull was still a band, with input and contributions from each member.  But on a solo album, he unbashedly called all the shots.  There was no compromise; it was his album.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
"A" is a solid Tull album with some real catchy tunes.  And Jobson does add a nice 80's synth touch to the sound, which makes the album a bit of a jarring departure from the epic "folk" trilogy of albums that came before it. I guess it might be considered a transitional album that brought the band out of the 70s and into the 80s, and I think a lot of Tull fans stepped off at this point (including me), in a similar way that Metallica fans soured on Load.  But I guess time heals old wounds, at least for me.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
Ian Anderson will be on The Big Interview with Dan Rather next week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2020, 08:08:23 PM »
I love the albums of JT I have heard (Thick as a Brick, Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery) and listen to them quite often actually, but I have never done a real dive into the entire diacography. I do also still listen to his solo efforts Thick as a Brick Part 2 and Homo Erraticus, also love those.

Just looked at Spotify and wasn't aware there were so many albums.

My dad is a huge fan, has been since he saw them on the Thick as a Brick tour in the 70's. So I probably heard a decent amount in the background as a kid.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
Interesting.  I happen to have their entire discography, and I just checked; no one has done a discography thread on Jethro Tull (yet).

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2020, 01:36:19 PM »
I’ve got everything except jtull.com and the Christmas album. I still have a tough time digesting everything post-Under Wraps. The hard rock edge seemed to vanish after that, even though there’s some brilliant stuff mixed in amongst the overall blandness. His voice diminished to where it’s almost a whisper that makes him sound like Mark Knopfler and I think they consciously composed music that’s reminiscent of Dire Straits.

But it’s amazing how the band adapted through the ages. Sorta like Genesis had but to much less commercial success. It’s fascinating to see how the early pioneering prog bands have evolved over the decades ... Kansas, Yes, Tull, Genesis, King Crimson.  Some failed to adapt.... ELP.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »
Ian Anderson will be on The Big Interview with Dan Rather next week.

I haven't seen it, but would like to, but I guess he talked about having COPD which doesn't sound good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/05/14/ian-anderson-jethro-tull-frontman-reveals-incurable-lung-disease/5189354002/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »
I had a 2 disc Greatest Hits collection of theirs that I listened to a ton back in the day. And of course heard them all the time on my classic rock radio station. Never bothered to delve in to their material any further though. No good reason why. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2020, 10:12:07 PM »
Interesting.  I happen to have their entire discography, and I just checked; no one has done a discography thread on Jethro Tull (yet).

I would be so down for this.

I think I have everything in one form or another...but I am missing one that I’ve heard is a cult favorite. Broadsword and the Beast. Haven’t heard a note of it either.

I do own:

This Was (remastered)
Stand Up (old CD)
Benefit (vinyl)
Aqualung (2011 40th Anniversary...not the SW remix from 2016, but it is on my wish list)
Thick as a Brick (25th anniversary version)
Living in the Past (vinyl)
A Passion Play (SW 40th anniversary remix)
War Child (remastered)
Minstrel in the Gallery (SW 40th anniversary remix...my favorite album)
Too Old to Rock’n’Roll: Too Young to Die! (vinyl)
Songs from the Wood (vinyl)
Heavy Horses (vinyl)
Stormwatch (vinyl)
A (vinyl)
Under Wraps (vinyl)
Crest of a Knave (CD)
A Little Light Music (CD)
Roots to Branches (CD)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
I thought I had them all, but I'm missing Under Wraps (1984) and Roots to Branches (1995).  They've both a ways down the list, so I may try to get ahold of them, or at least listen to them online one way or another.

As of last night, no one had responded to the feeler I tossed out there, so I'm still not sure, but it's been a while.  Unlike most people these days, I have less time on my hands than pre-COVID times, and I want to do this right.  But we're all making sacrifices, right?

I started doing some research last night, just in case.  I happened to have a few episodes of The Big Interview, including Ian Anderson, so I watched his, and also started digging up some background on the band and its members.  All Wiki so far, which seems to be pretty thorough, but I want to check out at least one or two more sources.  There's no point in doing a discography if I'm just regurgitating Wiki.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
I'd be game for that.  I went through a huge Tull phase in the mid-90's, saw them a couple times, and generally consider myself a fan.  Some of it gets a little esoteric for me, but that mid-70's-ish period - from Minstrel through Broadsword - works for me.  I love the acoustic stuff mostly.  Dun Ringill and Jack-A-Lynn are simply beautiful songs.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »

I would absolutely follow. Grown in a Tull loving household, have them all up to Catfish Rising.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »
I would suggest everyone to grab 'Nightcap', just for the Chateau D'Isaster tracks on Disc One.  Ian added flute to these, something that is really missed on the SW remixes.

(I had all the vinyl from 'This Was' through 'Stormwatch', even had the 'Aqualung' and 'A Passion Play' 8 tracks... :D)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
I would suggest everyone to grab 'Nightcap', just for the Chateau D'Isaster tracks on Disc One.  Ian added flute to these, something that is really missed on the SW remixes.

(I had all the vinyl from 'This Was' through 'Stormwatch', even had the 'Aqualung' and 'A Passion Play' 8 tracks... :D)

I haven’t really had the chance to spin these much yet, but it’s all included in my 40th Anniversary SW remix of Minstrel in the Gallery

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
I heard about Nightcap, but as with most bands, I don't have many compilations or other "Greatest Hits" type things.  My preference is to just get all the albums.  But Nightcap sounds cool because of the esoteric and/or unreleased stuff.

My first Tull album was Living in the Past, however, and at the time I didn't realize that it was a compilation of sorts.  I just grabbed it because the packaging was so cool.  Original vinyl of course, but the gatefold jacket is thick, meant to resemble an actual photo album, as it's a retrospective of the band up to that point.

Okay, I'm getting kinda psyched about this.  I think I'll do it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
Correction to my earlier post....it’s the Passion Play package, not MitG

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
Night Cap is a compilation of sorts, but only kinda; the first disk is an entire recording session of sorts, and the second is a series of outtakes, largely from one period.  It's less a compilation as in "Greatest Hit" and more like a collection ala the Director's Cut of FII.