Author Topic: Jethro Tull  (Read 20558 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Jethro Tull
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
A Passion Play is a great album, and in some ways better than TAAB. It's interesting that Ian started playing a lot of saxophone for a couple albums.

Also, I only have Aqualung and TAAB, but I love both albums.  Which Tull album should I get next?

Songs from the Wood.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline bundy

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »
Where the eff is Martin Barre?

This.

Also, I only have Aqualung and TAAB, but I love both albums.  Which Tull album should I get next?

I would recommend either Stand Up, Songs From the Wood or Stormwatch. If you can afford it get all three.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
Just an FYI all you flute-loving motherfuckers...

The 40th Anniversary Edition of Thick As A Brick is up for preorder on Burning Shed here.  Thankfully, this time we won't have to pay $100 for a 5.1 mix of the album like with Aqualung.   :P

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
A Passion Play is a great album, and in some ways better than TAAB. It's interesting that Ian started playing a lot of saxophone for a couple albums.

I hadn't heard A Passion Play for ages until recently on Spotify, and I'd come to believe that it was far lesser than TAAB, but that replay changed my mind. Other than, arguably, the utterly out of left field interlude about the hare and his spectacles, it's a pretty solid album, as good as TAAB in my opinion.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
I'm no expert on theological theater, but I remember reading about Passion plays a while back, and that there different types, and in at least one form, there is a "break" in the middle, an intermission of sorts, during which there is often a short comedic piece performed.  Jethro Tull's album A Passion Play follows this traditional form, right down to the inclusion of the intermission.  It's not simply out of left field; it's supposed to be there.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

I hadn't heard A Passion Play for ages until recently on Spotify, and I'd come to believe that it was far lesser than TAAB, but that replay changed my mind. Other than, arguably, the utterly out of left field interlude about the hare and his spectacles, it's a pretty solid album, as good as TAAB in my opinion.

I've always like A Passion Play more than Thick As A Brick.  But, that's just me and your mileage may vary.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Hare gets a lot of flak, but I find it absolutely hilarious.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
I've always loved Hare.  So random and funny IMO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
You kan-ga-roo, you kan!  I love the music the plays in unison with his words during that spoken line.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
The whole juxtaposition of the voice with the music is just brilliant.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
Hare gets a lot of flak, but I find it absolutely hilarious.
Man, that song bored me to tears. I might have to go back to that particular album, it didn't work for me at all when I first heard it about a year ago...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
When I bought Thick As A Brick 2 (great album, btw. Might make my list this year.), I bought a really cheap copy of the first one along with it, so I'll have to pass on this rerelease unless there are any substantial bonus tracks or anything.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
So has anybody seen Ian Anderson on this tour yet? He's coming up here shortly, and I'm not sure how interested I am in seeing it.  I love TaaB, and I have great confidence he'll put on a great show, but without Tull it's just not the same.  After seeing them a half dozen times or so,  I'm just as interested in Barre and Perry as IA.  Also, while I'm perfectly cool with bringing along a hired gun to sing the stuff he can't sing anymore (I can think of quite a few bands I wouldn't mind seeing do this), it seems this new guy is also a pretty flamboyant singer,  and I'm wondering if it makes Anderson less of the frontman.  That would be unfortunate.  This has the potential to be just a Tull cover band with Anderson sitting in on flute, and that would be a disappointment.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Rob

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
So has anybody seen Ian Anderson on this tour yet? He's coming up here shortly, and I'm not sure how interested I am in seeing it.  I love TaaB, and I have great confidence he'll put on a great show, but without Tull it's just not the same.  After seeing them a half dozen times or so,  I'm just as interested in Barre and Perry as IA.  Also, while I'm perfectly cool with bringing along a hired gun to sing the stuff he can't sing anymore (I can think of quite a few bands I wouldn't mind seeing do this), it seems this new guy is also a pretty flamboyant singer,  and I'm wondering if it makes Anderson less of the frontman.  That would be unfortunate.  This has the potential to be just a Tull cover band with Anderson sitting in on flute, and that would be a disappointment.

Yep, I've seen him on this tour and I urge you to do so as well. Ian still sings a big deal of the vocals and he clearly is the frontman of the whole project; he doesn't lose any of his presence to (the amazing) Ryan O'Donnell. You can feel that Ian is very passionate about this show - it's not just a bunch of songs played, but a full-blown show with two concept albums performed in their entirety and some theatrical / humorous elements thrown in from time to time. Also the band is very tight and they seem to have lots of fun playing. Some very skilled musicians, for sure! Highly suggested.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »

Yep, I've seen him on this tour and I urge you to do so as well. Ian still sings a big deal of the vocals and he clearly is the frontman of the whole project; he doesn't lose any of his presence to (the amazing) Ryan O'Donnell. You can feel that Ian is very passionate about this show - it's not just a bunch of songs played, but a full-blown show with two concept albums performed in their entirety and some theatrical / humorous elements thrown in from time to time. Also the band is very tight and they seem to have lots of fun playing. Some very skilled musicians, for sure! Highly suggested.
Yep.  Fantastic show.  IA definitely doesn't lose any of his showman aspect.  There were actually a couple of bits that I'd have preferred O'Donnell sang.  Most of it was split well between them, but there are a couple of moments during TaaB where you really need powerful vocals belted out at you, which IA can't deliver.  Still, it's great material (both halves) and it's presented very well.  Definitely glad I went.

And on a pleasant note, we went there with no tickets, and within 5 minutes of leaving our car had bought front row seats for less than were were expecting to spend on crappy seats.  Nice when things just work out like that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline r0cken

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »
Filled a big gap, and started listening to them a few weeks ago. Better late than never...
In order of preference, so far I'm liking "Songs from the Wood", "Heavy Horses" and "Stormwatch". Also getting into "Aqualung" and "Stand Up".

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »
Stormwatch is SO underrated.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 02:34:09 AM »
Stormwatch is a little more difficult to get in to, for me at least. So far I only really (really really) like "Orion" and "Flying Dutchman".

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »
True, but the payoff is really awesome.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
Stormwatch is very good, especially Dark Ages (great riffs) and Flying Dutchman. Some of the album seems to tread similar territory as previous works, though, but it's no big deal.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
Went to see and he played Budapest,Aqualung,My God and Locomotive Breath for encore. It ruled.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
It would appear that all of the cammers live in Houston.  There's a single 4 minute snippet of the Dallas show, but multiple vids of the entire show from the next night in Houston.  Here's TaaB in HD for anybody who wants to see what an IA solo gig is like.  Very good quality.  Only downside is not enough wide shots.  Aside from singing very well, Sideshow Cecil was as animated as IA, and you miss a lot of the theatrics.  Still, a damn fine way to spend 44 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSibs6SYK98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54trN9DOt-g
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
I'll have to scope on those later. :tup

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »
I really wish I could have seen Ian on this tour. Hopefully I'll get to see him or Tull sometime before its too late. He just said in an interview that he's talking to Martin Barre about doing an acoustic tour sometime in the future. That won't be as good as TAAB but its better than nothing. Two of my favorite Tull albums are Heavy Horses and Songs From The Wood and I'd imagine that they'd play stuff from those albums in that kind of setting.

Here's the interview if anyone's interested.
https://www.theaquarian.com/2012/11/07/arguing-with-ian-anderson-of-jethro-tull/

Offline r0cken

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »
I'm stuck. I got though "Thick as a Brick", and I love it. But I started to listen to Benefit, and I can't get into it! It's mildly okay, but nothing more.
"War Child" also seems to be a problem.
And there I was, thinking I'm gonna love every single album in their discography.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »
Jethro Tull have a certain style, but their sound is all over the map.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  There's a lot of variety to their music, even though it all has that neo-Celtic flavor to it, or whatever that it.  Medieval?

I think most of their catalogue is great, but there are definitely albums which I prefer, and some which don't get much play at all simply because there are too many others that I like better.  Still, I suggest that you give each one a few more spins.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
I love almost everything Tull has done.    r0cken you might want to try Minstrel In the Gallery next.   It's got quite a bit of acoustic stuff and closes with a mini-suite called Baker Street Muse.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
I love almost everything Tull has done.    r0cken you might want to try Minstrel In the Gallery next.   It's got quite a bit of acoustic stuff and closes with a mini-suite called Baker Street Muse.

THIS THIS THIS

Songs From The Wood and A Passion Play are stellar choices as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »

Absolutely my #1 JT album.  And Baker St Muse is my favorite Tull song.   It's the one JT song that I could *easily* see Dream Theater doing a cover of.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
Oh glob, I could die a happy goil if DT ever covered Baker Street Muse.  That's one of my all-time favorite Tull tunes.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
Sure, why not. I'll finish up with War Child (it's starting to grow on me) and get on to Minstrel In the Gallery.

And yes, Songs From The Wood is amazing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
I'm stuck. I got though "Thick as a Brick", and I love it. But I started to listen to Benefit, and I can't get into it! It's mildly okay, but nothing more.
"War Child" also seems to be a problem.
And there I was, thinking I'm gonna love every single album in their discography.
Try out Aqualung. Amazing album.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
Lolzeez, already did.
So far listened to and loved:
Stand Up
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
Lolzeez, already did.
So far listened to and loved:
Stand Up
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch
Hmmmm,Crest Of A Knave should be up next. Unless you listened to that as well.  :-\

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 11:28:35 PM »
Sure, why not. I'll finish up with War Child (it's starting to grow on me) and get on to Minstrel In the Gallery.

If I remember rightly, War Child was a major grower for me.  Once it clicked for me, though, it stuck.