Author Topic: Jethro Tull  (Read 21163 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jethro Tull
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »
Orbert.....I had that Tull album.  One of the few I sold for $2-10 at a garage sale when I cleared out around 500 LPs two years ago.  The vast majority I sold three for a dollar, ..in other words 33 1/3 cents a piece :D)

I still have the three CD 20th anniversary release from '88.  It has Scenerio/Audition/No Rehearsal with the years later flute overdubs.  Nightcap Disc 1 has 13 tracks from the 'D'Isaster' sessions, minus 'Big Top' and 'Sailor', with the years later flute overdubs.  The SW remixes on the 40th anniversary do not (kind of like hearing a Queen demo without Brian May's guitar...).  Interesting that 'Skating Away' was from the APP sessions, and that perhaps it and 'Sailor' would have been placed before 'No Reheasal'.  Interesting that 'No Rehearsal' was performed in concert many times.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/app/

Disc 2 of 'Nightcap' or bsides and unreleased tracks from '74-'91.  Tastes and wants are subjective....Disc One is a 'must' for me, and some tracks made for a nice expanded 78 minute APP that I'll listen to multiple times a year, while Disc Two has too many run of the mill 80s tunes.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »
Jethro Thull is one of those bands that I've always known about, but never bothered too much with exploring (and working from home might be a good occasion to do that). I remember ages ago doing a bit of exploration, I've looked back in archives and drives and, as I remember, I kept some songs from Aqualung, Minstrel in the Gallery and Songs from the Wood. For the way my tastes have developed, I guess I should give a(nother) try to the more theatrical and conceptual albums, or to the more folkish ones like Songs from the Wood.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
Well, I did it.  I started The Jethro Tull Discography.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2021, 05:51:04 AM »
Looks like we will be getting a new album from a reformed Jethro Tull. Sad that Martin Barre will not be a part of it.

Inside Out Music /Sony Music are extremely pleased to announce the signing of progressive rock legends Jethro Tull to the label. The band has already completed a new album titled ‘The Zealot Gene’, which can be expected in early 2022.

Ian Anderson had this to say about the new signing - “After 54 years in the world of music recording, it is with great pleasure that I now sign Jethro Tull to a record company which reminds me, in many ways, of the old Chrysalis label - both as an independent and in its later years in partnership with EMI. Here are real music guys with a passion for the best and most creative in rock music. We look forward to a long and fruitful relationship and more releases to come.”

InsideOutMusic Label Manager Thomas Waber states, "Adding Jethro Tull to the roster is an incredible honour for us. The band are true innovators of the genre and we are looking forward to working with them on their new album. We are sure their countless fans will be as excited about it as we are!"

With more than 30 albums to their credit and sales totaling more than 50 million, Jethro Tull are one of the most successful rock bands of all-time with a catalog that contains classics that still resonate today. Led by Ian Anderson, Tull still continue to tour throughout the world, entertaining audiences of all ages.

The band currently consists of:
Ian Anderson - Flute, acoustic guitar, harmonica, vocals
Joe Parrish-James  – Guitar
Florian Opahle  - Guitar (album only)
Scott Hammond – Drums
John O’Hara - Piano, keyboards and accordion
David Goodier  - Bass guitar

I guess I’m a bit confused because I thought  Ian had released TAAB2 as a solo project because Barre wasn’t involved. But now he’s choosing to release new material under the JT banner without him. Didn’t he always have sole control of the name?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2021, 06:57:11 AM »
His two latest solo works have a second vocalist, kinda dissapointed that isn't the case here. Ian doesn't exactly have the voice of an angel at this point in time, to put it extremely mildly. Hopefully he sounds more like TAAB2 and less like Homo Eraticus here.

Offline emtee

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:33 AM »
Actually kind of surprised the label signed them. I own TaaB2 and Ian's voice is...not good. I'm not knocking him at all. Age  catches up with all of us.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2021, 07:23:37 AM »
As always, Ian Anderson talks a lot, and you can believe maybe half of what he says.  The other half he might actually believe at the time, but things change.

It seems clear that Ian and Martin Barre had some kind of falling out that neither of them will talk about, probably by mutual agreement.  Ian did say that he wanted to carry on under his own name, but Jethro Tull was always (starting from the second album anyway) whatever Ian Anderson said it was.  Also, Ian does not seem to personally have the clout that one might assume.  The album [A] was suppose to be a solo album, but he caved in to pressure from the label to make it a Jethro Tull album, effectively ending the classic Tull lineup in favor of the lineup he'd assembled for that album.  My guess is that something similar has happened here.  Either the label, or Anderson himself, realized that the Jethro Tull name will sell a few more copies than Ian Anderson will.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2021, 08:15:24 AM »
Actually kind of surprised the label signed them. I own TaaB2 and Ian's voice is...not good. I'm not knocking him at all. Age  catches up with all of us.

His voice is blown on TAAB2, but somehow I enjoy his vocals on that album. The melodies are good and I do like the dark tone of his voice and his enunciation. And he doesn't attempt more than he can do. I like Homo Eraticus, but his voice is even more blown there and does detract more.

Perhaps my biggest issue with his vocals (especially live post late 80's) is that the timing is increasingly off. Because he is struggling there is some kind of slight delay or something. Especially in parts with harmonies you can hear he is simply not in sync with the rest.

I think he had the start of a good formula with a second singer, but as his voice got worse, he used that guy less and now he has sole vocal duty again. It was kind of frustrating seeing the 50th anniversary liveshows, as literally every other aspect was excellent. And Ian has plenty to do besides "singing".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
The album [A] was suppose to be a solo album, but he caved in to pressure from the label to make it a Jethro Tull album, effectively ending the classic Tull lineup in favor of the lineup he'd assembled for that album.  My guess is that something similar has happened here.
My first thought was that this was just him waiting an appropriate amount of time before reclaiming the name, but I think you're probably quite right here. Partly because I don't think IA gives a damn about what's appropriate, and partly because Inside Out is going to give more support to Jethro Tull than Ian Anderson. If nothing else, the name on the marquee will sell a few more tickets.

In any case, the last time I saw him was the last time I'll see him. He sounded like shit, and it's very clearly just a cash grab for him. Besides which, I think he's a pompous wanker. I have gone to see Barre's band, and will again if I get the opportunity. I like him, and I think he enjoys doing what he's doing, unlike Anderson.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »
In any case, the last time I saw him was the last time I'll see him. He sounded like shit, and it's very clearly just a cash grab for him.

Pretty much my thoughts. Saw him on Homo Erraticus tour I think and he sounded terrible.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
I have to say that I picked up the new Steven Wilson remix of A when it first came out. I wasn’t that familiar with the album, but based on the fact that Steven Wilson can do no wrong, I really like most of Jethro Tull‘s material, and these box sets seem to go out of print fairly quickly I decided to strike while the iron was hot.

I have to say that it doesn’t sound like the big deviation from the JT sound that I thought it would be. there’s a few synthesizers here and there, but it still sounds very much like a standard Jethro Tull album.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2021, 06:29:03 AM »
We are very pleased to announce our first studio album of new material in over 18 years! ‘The Zealot Gene’, will see a January 28th, 2022 release on Inside Out Music  - pre-order now: https://jethrotullband.lnk.to/TheZealotGene
The first single from the album, “Shoshana Sleeping”, is also out today on all digital/streaming platforms and it's accompanied by a stunning visual created by Thomas Hicks: https://youtu.be/uPTeqsBd1Ik
A record that began to take shape as early as 2017, ‘The Zealot Gene’, in many ways, seeks to defy convention during a time when the business of being a touring and recording artist has never faced more uncertainties. Tull bandleader Ian Anderson holds no reservations about the role for which the mythos and themes of Biblical storytelling played in the lyrical content of the new album, saying:
"While I have a spot of genuine fondness for the pomp and fairytale story-telling of the Holy Book, I still feel the need to question and draw sometimes unholy parallels from the text. The good, the bad, and the downright ugly rear their heads throughout, but are punctuated with elements of love, respect, and tenderness.”
Looking back on the earth-shaking disruption of the Coronavirus pandemic, which ultimately ended Tull's touring plans and hopes of a 2020 release for ‘The Zealot Gene’, Anderson shares, "It was so sudden. Amidst the concerns and warnings of the scientific community and a few more enlightened politicians, we all retreated in disbelief to our homes to wait out the storm."
‘The Zealot Gene’ Tracklisting:
1. Mrs. Tibbets (5:54)
2. Jacob's Tales (2:13)
3. Mine Is The Mountain (5:40)
4. The Zealot Gene (3:54)
5. Shoshana Sleeping (3:41)
6. Sad City Sisters (3:40)
7. Barren Beth, Wild Desert John (3:37)
8. The Betrayal Of Joshua Kynde (4:06)
9. Where Did Saturday Go? (3:53)
10. Three Loves, Three (3:30)
11. In Brief Visitation (3:00)
12. The Fisherman Of Ephesus (3:41)

Shoshana Sleeping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPTeqsBd1Ik

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »
I like the sound and the song is pretty solid. Ian can't sing anymore and at least in the studio he seems well aware of his limitations. What he still does well is enunciation and I like the tone of his voice, he does spoken-wordish parts well.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2021, 08:20:48 AM »
Agreed. 

The linked track would have fit well in the mid to late 70s.  But, I'll be honest, that is one unappealing album cover.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
Welp there goes my hope for a new Metallica album next year :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
Who is on it?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »
It honestly sounds like something from Spinal Tap’s “Break Like the Wind” album.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
Who is on it?

The current Jethro Tull is the same lineup as TAAB2 & Homo Eraticus, with a different guitarist and without the extra vocalist. Ian Anderson is the only one to have appeared on any previous Jethro Tull album. :facepalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »
To me, it's actually kinda sad how that worked out, although it's a messy, complicated situation and I don't exactly blame Ian Anderson for it.

I mean, the band name Jethro Tull is inextricably linked to Ian Anderson.  Many people literally thought Ian Anderson was Jethro Tull, in the sense that the guy up there with the flute is named Jethro Tull.  So he made a solo album, a statement of who and what he was outside of Jethro Tull, but it ended up being a Jethro Tull album anyway, simultaneously destroying the old band and further blurring the line between Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, if it even existed anymore at that point.  As a casual fan at the time, I basically figured Jethro Tull is whoever Ian Anderson says it is, just as Robert Fripp decides if the band is called King Crimson or not.  There are other examples, where there is a band identity but specific individuals say who the band is.

Ian has conceded the point, probably did a while ago.  Jethro Tull is whoever Ian says it is.  So instead of being bummed that there's apparently no distinction to most people, he's embraced the concept that he has the final say.  Unexpected upside?

Vaguely relevant non-sequitor:  In 1975, Leonard Nimoy was so tired of being typecast as Mr. Spock that he wrote a book called I Am Not Spock.  Pretty much says it all.  In 1995, I Am Spock, also by Leonard Nimoy, was published.  Okay now that says it all.  He has embraced it and come to terms with it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2022, 04:22:01 AM »
I enjoy The Zealot Gene for what it is. It's a good collection of songs, with each of them addressing one particular emotion, with lyrical themes drawn from the bible. If you listen to it expecting to be as impacted as you were when you first listened to Aqualung or Thick as a Brick, you're in for a disappointment. But taken as its own piece of work, it's really good.

My favorite Tull album is Songs from the Wood. I love Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Stormwatch as well. I recently revisited A, and it's not as bad as critics think. Under Wraps is where I draw the line, because they changed too much from their original sound.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:13 AM »

My favorite Tull album is Songs from the Wood. I love Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Stormwatch as well. I recently revisited A, and it's not as bad as critics think. Under Wraps is where I draw the line, because they changed too much from their original sound.

A is a solid album, but Under Wraps is easily one of their worst. The albums that came after it are all second-rate imo. And Tull is probably a top-5 band for me.

I think Heavy Horses, which came in-between Songs From the Wood and Stormwatch, is every bit as good as those two, if not better.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »

A is a solid album, but Under Wraps is easily one of their worst. The albums that came after it are all second-rate imo. And Tull is probably a top-5 band for me.

I think Heavy Horses, which came in-between Songs From the Wood and Stormwatch, is every bit as good as those two, if not better.

My hot take of today: if Under Wraps had "Talking Heads"/on the cover, and not Jethro Tull, critics would say it's a work of art.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2022, 02:25:00 PM »
Possibly.  I liked Under Wraps for what it was, as opposed to disliking it for what it is not.  It was too much of a departure from the Jethro Tull of old for fans of old Jethro Tull to accept, but if you can forget all that and just listen to it for what it is... well, you either like it or you don't.  But I think there's a better chance to like it if you're not listening to it and spending your entire time thinking about who or what it doesn't sound like.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2022, 04:17:05 PM »
My dad received the complete lyric book titled Silent Singing and it is a very beautiful book. If you are into that kind of thing, it is worth the money. It also is very visual with a lot of pictures and all. Same applies with Ballad of Jethro Tull, which was my previous gift to my dad.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2022, 01:18:46 PM »
My dad received the complete lyric book titled Silent Singing and it is a very beautiful book. If you are into that kind of thing, it is worth the money. It also is very visual with a lot of pictures and all. Same applies with Ballad of Jethro Tull, which was my previous gift to my dad.

Your dad is lucky!  Nice gifts :tup

Last year, thanks to Orbert for getting me 'obsessed' with the discography, my wife bought me the Ballad of Jethro Tull.

This year, she bought me the Silent Singing book as well.  https://jethrotulllyricbook.com/   She bought the green version.  And for that extra touch that she always manages, she paid extra to have my name listed.  You'll see it on page 268 between Colleen Goodman and David Gordon.  That and three bucks gets me a cup of coffee, but it's a damn pleasureable cup of coffee.

It is not as in depth as I might have preferred, but I am in the stages of going album by album every other week with lyrics in hand.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2022, 08:57:49 AM »
I interviewed Ian yesterday. I think it was one of the rare occasions when he  was in a good mood.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »
To me, it's actually kinda sad how that worked out, although it's a messy, complicated situation and I don't exactly blame Ian Anderson for it.

I mean, the band name Jethro Tull is inextricably linked to Ian Anderson.  Many people literally thought Ian Anderson was Jethro Tull, in the sense that the guy up there with the flute is named Jethro Tull.  So he made a solo album, a statement of who and what he was outside of Jethro Tull, but it ended up being a Jethro Tull album anyway, simultaneously destroying the old band and further blurring the line between Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull, if it even existed anymore at that point.  As a casual fan at the time, I basically figured Jethro Tull is whoever Ian Anderson says it is, just as Robert Fripp decides if the band is called King Crimson or not.  There are other examples, where there is a band identity but specific individuals say who the band is.
I wouldn't really have a problem with any of that. As you said, Tull is Ian's thing. At the same time, he's kind of a dick about it, and, he's putting forth an inferior product. If he wants to run the Tull brand into the ground then so be it. He'll still sell 800 tickets a night to people who want to hear Aqualung. I just don't want any part of it. Years ago Tull was an "always see" band. I decided a couple of tours ago that I didn't want to support the guy's cash-grab gigs anymore after a particularly weak showing, and that's that. At the same time, Martin Barre is playing here in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to that. It'll be a far better show than what "Tull" can muster.

Also, Florian was the talented guy in the band. Without him I'm not sure what's left.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2022, 03:17:01 PM »
That's a pretty cynical view of it overall.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are certainly other ways to interpret it.

For one thing, I don't see Ian's continuing to record and tour as "cash-grab gigs".  Musicians gonna make music.  It's what they are and what they do.  If others view their current output as inferior, they're entitled to their opinion, but it's not like Ian is intentionally putting out stuff he knows is shit and laughing about how people still buy it or come to see it in concert.  This is what he does now.  This is the music he makes now.

Could/should he call the band something else?  Should it not be called Jethro Tull because a lot of people don't consider it Tull without Martin Barre?  Again, that's a distinction that in some ways was blurred long ago and not by Ian.  Maybe he didn't fight the suits as hard as some think he could/should have back when [A] was released as a Tull album, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

So basically he's like "I tried to be Ian Anderson but people don't want Ian Anderson, they want Jethro Tull.  So fuck it, it's Jethro Tull."  Yeah, Ian Anderson is a dick by most accounts.  But I really don't see how he's done anything wrong here.  He's playing the game, and he's not the one who made the rules.  He's making music and selling it.  There's no deception involved.  Anyone who cares whether or not Martin or Florian are still in the band knows that they're not.  But if he can sell more tickets/albums if it says Jethro Tull as opposed to Ian Anderson, then that's what he's gonna do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2022, 07:01:13 AM »
Kiss.
Tony Iommi (with Black Sabbath)

I kind of hear you, but I hear Bart as well, having enjoying some of those later tours before the "implosion" or whatever we're calling it.  Back in the late '80s, early '90s, a Tull show was money, and it's my understanding that it was even better before that (I was late to the party; I got into Tull with that 20th Anniversary box set, which is still one of the top three box sets I own, and one I listen to, still, a LOT).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2022, 08:06:25 AM »
Having never really delved into Tull in depth before, I started a listen-through of their discography late last year, and TBH I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I only got up through War Child before being interrupted by Christmas, but I look forward to continuing on soon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
I haven't listened that much to Tull. I checked out the 3 CD compilation "50 For 50" last year, and got a pretty nice overview of the discography. There's plenty of fine stuff there. I'll have to do a deep dive into them some time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2022, 09:07:26 AM »
That's a pretty cynical view of it overall.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are certainly other ways to interpret it.

For one thing, I don't see Ian's continuing to record and tour as "cash-grab gigs".  Musicians gonna make music.  It's what they are and what they do.  If others view their current output as inferior, they're entitled to their opinion, but it's not like Ian is intentionally putting out stuff he knows is shit and laughing about how people still buy it or come to see it in concert.  This is what he does now.  This is the music he makes now.

Could/should he call the band something else?  Should it not be called Jethro Tull because a lot of people don't consider it Tull without Martin Barre?  Again, that's a distinction that in some ways was blurred long ago and not by Ian.  Maybe he didn't fight the suits as hard as some think he could/should have back when [A] was released as a Tull album, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

So basically he's like "I tried to be Ian Anderson but people don't want Ian Anderson, they want Jethro Tull.  So fuck it, it's Jethro Tull."  Yeah, Ian Anderson is a dick by most accounts.  But I really don't see how he's done anything wrong here.  He's playing the game, and he's not the one who made the rules.  He's making music and selling it.  There's no deception involved.  Anyone who cares whether or not Martin or Florian are still in the band knows that they're not.  But if he can sell more tickets/albums if it says Jethro Tull as opposed to Ian Anderson, then that's what he's gonna do.
I was specifically referring to his live shows. Most of their albums don't interest me, so I don't pay any attention to the new ones. They're strictly a live band for me. And the last time I saw him/them it was entirely a cash grab. Greatest hits performed poorly with lots of piped in bits, performed for a bunch of drunken Okies in a casino who only want to hear two songs. If he'd just played an 80 minute long version of Aqualung soundcheck style it would have gone over much better. And if Ian watched a video of that show I bet he'd agree with me. I don't see that changing going forward. It'll be another greatest hits gig with one new song that nobody will want to hear.

Compared with the two previous shows I caught, it was night and day. On the TaaB 1 and 2 tours he brought the personnel to do it justice, and the people who went to see it knew exactly what they were getting. Before that was a proper Tull show where they broke out a wonderful setlist ranging from Beggar's Farm to a fantastic rendition of Budapest. Even brought the fiddler girl along with them. The casino gig was so starkly different and crappy I decided he wasn't getting anymore of my money.

And like I said, he is Jethro Tull. I've got no problem using the name. Though I'd suggest that it probably makes no difference what he calls himself. People who went to see "Ian Anderson performs Jethro Tull" figured they were going to see Jethro Tull anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »
Okay, I kinduv agree with you on the live gigs.  I've watched parts of recent YouTube videos (I know, not the most extensive research) and it was all pretty horrible.  His voice is shot, so someone else sings a lot.  The band wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't on the level of Martin Barre and 70's-era Tull; but then I don't think any band today is going to match that.

lots of piped in bits

Are you talking about pre-recorded "tracks"?  Man, I hate that shit.  I don't want to hear anything coming out of the mains that isn't being played/sung by someone on stage.  That's an argument for another place and time.  But yeah, if it's come to that, it's time to throw in the towel.  I didn't realize that it had come to that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2022, 11:15:58 AM »
Okay, I kinduv agree with you on the live gigs.  I've watched parts of recent YouTube videos (I know, not the most extensive research) and it was all pretty horrible.  His voice is shot, so someone else sings a lot.  The band wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't on the level of Martin Barre and 70's-era Tull; but then I don't think any band today is going to match that.

lots of piped in bits

Are you talking about pre-recorded "tracks"?  Man, I hate that shit.  I don't want to hear anything coming out of the mains that isn't being played/sung by someone on stage.  That's an argument for another place and time.  But yeah, if it's come to that, it's time to throw in the towel.  I didn't realize that it had come to that.
When he had someone else there to sing it was a lot better. That was the TaaB2 tour, and I thought Sideshow Cecil did a fine job. I've got no problem with bringing in somebody who can sing to, well, sing. In fact, if that guy was still there I'd actually consider going to see them again. The problem is that he dumped him after that tour and went back to trying to do most if it himself. And that's what I was getting at with piping things in. It's not that he's trying to pull one over on anybody. It's just that occasionally he'll show Sideshow Cecil or the fiddler girl on the back screen singing or playing their parts rather than having them there to do it. Saving a couple of meal vouchers and bus racks, I reckon. He's honest about it, but he's still short-changing the audience to save a few quid.

Interestingly, Martin Barre is bringing in Clive Bunker for some of the shows, including Texas. That's another reason I want to catch his version more than IA's. Personally, I was always a Doan Parry kind of guy, but there's no denying that Clive was Tull's drummer. The show will be a mixed bag. As far as I'm concerned it's not Aqualung if you don't have IA singing My God, and Wind UP, but that's not really possible anymore, and somebody who can actually do it is probably better, even if unauthentic.
E.F. Benson

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »
Having never really delved into Tull in depth before, I started a listen-through of their discography late last year, and TBH I was a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I only got up through War Child before being interrupted by Christmas, but I look forward to continuing on soon.

Hef, post- War Child, the cream of the crop IMO would be Minstrel In the Gallery, followed by the so-called "folk trilogy", Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch. After that, they dove a bit into 80's style electronica with 'A' and Broadsword and the Beast, both of which are very solid albums.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa