Author Topic: Disc 1 of Spock's Beard's "Snow"  (Read 1464 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Disc 1 of Spock's Beard's "Snow"
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:02:02 AM »
IS SO GOOD!  I had this on for my trip to work this morning and I was grooving to it so hard.  It's also incredibly uplifting music.  Damn disc 1 is just some really fine songwriting.  Appreciate this beautiful piece of music.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Bongasti

Re: Disc 1 of Spock's Beard's "Snow"
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
Hm. I perhaps prefer Disc 2 of Snow. I just like the songs more on that one, even though it's not as "solid package" as the first disc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
The entire album is really good, although I prefer disc one: songs three to seven blow my mind. Great music.  :smiley:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Snow is awesome, but man, a double CD concept album is just too long.  I think I prefer Disc 1, but it may be that by time I get to Disc 2, I'm... well not "bored" but starting to lose interest a bit.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
Definitely one of my favorite/Top 5 albums of ALL TIME, and it's hard for me to compare Disc 1 to Disc 2. As a concept album, I rarely compare the discs, as it runs/plays continuously for me when I listen to it, beginning to end. Sure there's some great songs on Disc 1, but Disc 2 has some great playing and a few good songs too.

If I had to "rank" them, Disc 1 would be 10/10 and Disc 2 would be 9/10, making the album a 9.5/10, which is pretty damn good IMO.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
I rarely make it to disc 2 so I'm not even very familiar with it.  I don't even want to compare them.  I am strictly talking about how good disc 1 is.  Doesn't make disc 2 any less good!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
I rarely make it to disc 2 so I'm not even very familiar with it.  I don't even want to compare them.  I am strictly talking about how good disc 1 is.  Doesn't make disc 2 any less good!

Fair enough. The thing I like most about Disc 1 is that it flows straight through, there's no silence or breaks between tracks/songs, so you really get the sense that it's a continuous thing, the whole first disc gels and adheres together so well that you just HAVE to listen to it straight through.

Unfortunately, there's a couple breaks on Disc 2 that make it a bit less continuous-feeling, but it is still chock-full-of-goodness. Disc 1 will likely always be lauded as the better of the two, for it's slightly stronger song-writing, continuous feel, and high-energy throughout. Disc 2 has a few lulls, but they don't entirely detract/distract the listener from enjoying it all.

Then again, I listen to both discs together ALL the time, so it's not really much of a problem for me :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
What should have been done is both discs should have been a bit shorter, and that would have been easily accomplished by removing two filler tracks from disc two:

"Carrie"
"Looking For Answers"

Both are decent tracks, but they were really unnecessary in the context of the concept, and they were both kind of wedged in there.  Remove those and you have a masterpiece.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
Disc 1 is so good. My two favorite songs are Solitary Soul and Devil's Got My Throat, but really, almost every track is stellar. Disc 2 is also great.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I love Neal Morse solo, and I love the Morse-era Spock's Beard albums I have, but every time I throw on Snow, I get through the 1st disc and never put disc 2 on. I still haven't listened to it, and I don't generally get excited listening to it. It's probably my least favorite Neal Morse related album I have heard.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Wait, you've never heard disc 2, but you judge the whole album? All is Vanity/I'm Dying :hefdaddy
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
I know, I should listen to disc 2. But I can't get into disc 1 much, and I can't imagine it's much better on disc 2, knowing Neal.

Offline Cordez

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:26:33 AM »
What should have been done is both discs should have been a bit shorter, and that would have been easily accomplished by removing two filler tracks from disc two:

"Carrie"
"Looking For Answers"

Both are decent tracks, but they were really unnecessary in the context of the concept, and they were both kind of wedged in there.  Remove those and you have a masterpiece.

Wow,  I love Carrie! (the song ;)) But I agree on Looking For Answers.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »

"Carrie"
"Looking For Answers"

Wow,  I love Carrie! (the song ;) ) But I agree on Looking For Answers.

I have an early demo of "Looking For Answers" that NDV gave me.  We published it on The Tsunami Projekt.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
You can remove Carie, but Looking for answers is one of my favorites on disc two. I'm the guy is also kinda meh, and I'm not too crazy about the way the album ends either...

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
I think Carie is more important to the story than Looking for Answers. Neither one is a bad song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
DAT RIFF for Welcome to NYC is so freaking cool.

Also The Devil's got my throat is so rockin'.  It gets me so pumped up.