Author Topic: New JP & JM 'Drama Kings' Interview on Premier Guitar for October Issue  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: New JP & JM 'Drama Kings' Interview on Premier Guitar for October Issue
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 12:56:21 AM »
This was a fantastic read. Although I would loved to have watched or heard this interview....just to hear Myung speak...

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 01:49:03 AM »
Great interview. Holy crap Myung is such a perfectionist!

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
Great interview but I hate the title -_-;  Drama Kings?  Really?  Besides I'm pretty sure that title would more appropriately fit elsewhere.     :|

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 04:23:03 AM »
Quote from: John Myung
"Our set is like two hours, and we'll have a master set with extra songs in it, so maybe there will be--from start to finish--like, three hours of material to run through."

So maybe they will rotate in and out a few songs? Three hours seems like enough time to allow for a couple different encore selections and then some. :)
When they're playing 14-15 songs a night, an extra 6 to 9 songs in rotation is actually WAY better than the European tour.
Yeah, that was just the warm up/festival tour though, where even in the past there was always much less rotation (and there was pretty much none this time, apart from the encores changing). Nice to know there will at least be a bit of rotation for the main tours!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline davzdrummer

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:03 AM »
Great interview but I hate the title -_-;  Drama Kings?  Really?  Besides I'm pretty sure that title would more appropriately fit elsewhere.     :|

I think it's okay.. It kinda relates to their new album ;)
8th of September 2010

''My name is Mike; I hit things for a living.'' ~ MM

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
re: Studio time - I don't understand how bands, especially those who've been around for awhile don't get this. The majority opinion seems to be that DT's songwriting suffered when they moved to the "write/record simultaneously" method. It seems so rushed, and very few artists are talented enough to continue putting out quality material that way for an extended period of time. King's X is another example of this. Their first five albums were brilliant, then they started writing separately, then moved to writing in the studio, simply to get done as quickly as possible because supposedly dUg Pinnick doesn't care for the studio as much as the other guys (which seemed to be the case with MP). Good art takes time, especially if it's to be corporate, because each person involved needs time to digest and contemplate what the others are bringing to the table. There's a building process that takes place, where a group of talented people can inspire and challenge one another, or combine parts of good ideas to come up with something even better. You simply can't take advantage of this fully when you're trying to knock it out as quickly as possible - I'd bet money it's one of the main reasons JMX seemed to have thrown his hands up and removed himself from the writing process, being a more deliberate and contemplative personality. I'm always distressed when one of my favorite bands switches to the method DT has used lately. Hopefully they've permanently moved away from that now.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
I have never even tried to write/record simultaneously.  It's always demo first, then go back and record.  And truth be told, NONE of the songs on my forthcoming album sound anything like the demos.  Improvements were made during the recording process and in some cases those improvements were things that really made the songs way, way better than they would have been.

So, I'm glad they are going back to this way of writing, I think it produces better material.

Offline angelillo

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 05:02:24 AM »
 I found very interesting that on this forum... nobody is saying anything about the following:

"Petrucci: It’s ongoing. When you’re a band that’s been together for this long, there are a lot of business things involved. It’s very similar to a divorce; you have to work out all of the details."

I think there may be a marriage metaphore (divorce or something like that) but this time from JP...

You would normally expect lots of comments about something like this on this forum...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 05:06:04 AM »
I found very interesting that on this forum... nobody is saying anything about the following:

"Petrucci: It’s ongoing. When you’re a band that’s been together for this long, there are a lot of business things involved. It’s very similar to a divorce; you have to work out all of the details."

I think there may be a marriage metaphore (divorce or something like that) but this time from JP...

You would normally expect lots of comments about something like this on this forum...
Well, he wasn't comparing the relationship in DT to a marriage, which is a flawed comparison.  He was just comparing the split to a divorce, which from a legal sense, is a very good comparison.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline angelillo

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 05:10:15 AM »

Well, he wasn't comparing the relationship in DT to a marriage, which is a flawed comparison.  He was just comparing the split to a divorce, which from a legal sense, is a very good comparison.

Fair enough

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »
Myung: A lot of the early stuff was stuff I would first work on with John and Kevin and then we would bring it to the band. But once I&W took off and went gold we were just like this machine. We started touring and writing and doing everything together

I may be reading more into this than is actually there, but I'm sure there's been a few subtle things said along those lines: putting MP's role in the band over the first 10 years into a bit of perspective.