Author Topic: Rant: Applying to Grad School Is the Most Stressful Thing Ever  (Read 3119 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Rant: Applying to Grad School Is the Most Stressful Thing Ever
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
... Maybe not ever. But the most stressful thing I've had to do in my life thus far. :lol

Everytime it looks like I'm set, something happens. A school raises their requirements. I make a bad grade in a class. Just recently, I realized that a professor who I wanted to write me a recommendation letter is probably not the best person to do so, and now I need to find another professor to do it in just a few months.

Anyone else been through this experience and live to talk about it?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:24:53 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Orion1967

Re: Rant: Applying to Grad School Is the most Stressful Thing Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
Yup.  Been there done that got the T-shirt, mug and souvenier pencil.    About a year ago I got the crazy notion that I wanted to go to Law School.   (I work in Information Security) but as a result of too much stress and wanting to pursue something I always wanted to do as a kid I figured I try to get into law school.  I am 44 years old mind you so this was going to be a major change.   I securedc all the letter of recommendation, college transcripts, etc... and then began practicing for the LSAT.    Was doing quite good on my practice tests, could do all the logic games, analytical puzzles and reading comprehensions just fine as long as I wasnt pressed too much for time.  So I felt pretty good about the test going into it.....   holy jesus did I screw the pooch.  So needless to say my low socre I took as a sign that I should stick to what I know.    I then changed gears and started looking at masters programs in information assurance.   So I had to start the process all over again, go back and ask those friends and business partners for new recommendation letters, apply and so on and so forth.    It is all worth it though, I am 4 weeks into the second term of my Masters and it has been very challenging and rewarding so stick with it, it's worth it and I wish I had possessed the frame of mind to finish college when I was younger and gotten my masters right out of the gate.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
Yeah. I'm a new law student so I went through this process this time last year. I took the LSAT the summer before my senior year so I wouldn't have to deal with THAT stress, too. It's really stressful getting all the applications together online and making sure all your stuff is in order. I applied to about 10 law schools - that's 10 separate applications, 10 application fees, 10 times the likelihood of messing something up :lol

edit: what type of grad program are you applying to?

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
The GRE/GMAT part is the most stressful. And writting application essays, for someone not used to do that (like me).

Regarding recommendation letters, it didn't have many options anyway, so that wasn't a problem.

I'm planning to apply to another Master's this year, but at least I don't have to do the GRE again and doing a 750-word essay doesn't look as frightening as it did four years ago.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »
The GRE/GMAT part is the most stressful. And, writting application essays, for some not used to do that (like me).

Regarding recommendation letters, it didn't have many options anyway, so that wasn't a problem.

I'm planning to apply to another Master's this year, but at least I don't have to do the GRE again and doing a 750-word essay doesn't look as frightening as four years ago.
Heh yeah 750 words is cake now...   I have a 4000 word paper due this Sunday that I havent started yet (this weeks assignment)....   gonna bang that one out on Saturday I think.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
Those 500-750 word application essays are brutal. Never spent more time on two pages of text in my life.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
Those 500-750 word application essays are brutal. Never spent more time on two pages of text in my life.
If you studied in the US, at least you have the advantage of having had to do essays in high school or college.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
My experience was pretty easy in all honesty. One application form, a small essay and thats about it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »
If you studied in the US, at least you have the advantage of having had to do essays in high school or college.
Assuming you're not from the US, are you not required to write for school?

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Quote from: antigoon link=topic=28375.msg1082363#msg10r82363 date=1317320685
Assuming you're not from the US, are you not required to write for school?
You have to write reports, but you're not used to write short essays in the style of those required for applications (at least in my country).

International students are also required to present TOEFL scores, have their national transcripts translated by an authorized official and validated by an attorney, and get a student visa.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »
Been there, done that...

The applications and essays weren't that horrific, and the general GRE was a breeze.  The subject GRE (chemistry) was brutal, though...and the prep book I used didn't help...the mix of questions between the different subject areas was wrong, and so I went in expecting a score about 100 points higher than I actually got.

I was actually the student rep on the admissions committee for a couple of years while I was in grad school, so I may be able to offer some insights, but with the caveat that they may only apply in the physical sciences.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
My biggest issue was recommendations. One woman's letters kept getting lost and it made me wonder if she even sent them... but eventually everything worked out and I got into several schools  :D

The essays were easy for me as I've always liked that sort of thing... and the GRE was just stupid. I did fine on it but I was bitter about having to take it because it's a bunch of crap... except the writing part, which I think was pretty cool.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GO TO GRAD SCHOOL!  IT SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF YOU, THEN YOUR SOUL...AND I DON'T EVEN BELIEVE IN SOULS!!

If you think applying is bad...wait until you take your first oral exam in front of a committee.  You'll feel like the dumbest person to walk the face of the Earth - and that's if you pass easily like I did.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Re: Rant: Applying to Grad School Is the Most Stressful Thing Ever
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
Yeah. I'm a new law student so I went through this process this time last year. I took the LSAT the summer before my senior year so I wouldn't have to deal with THAT stress, too. It's really stressful getting all the applications together online and making sure all your stuff is in order. I applied to about 10 law schools - that's 10 separate applications, 10 application fees, 10 times the likelihood of messing something up :lol

edit: what type of grad program are you applying to?

I'm going to be applying to I/O psychology programs.

Honestly, the only hard part of the process so far has been that last recommendation letter. It's been stressing me out quite a bit.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
DTVT is right, grad school sucks the life out of you.  It's more a test on how thick your skull is than of how well you use what's in it.  If you think applying for them is stressful you really should reconsider getting yourself into this life.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »
DTVT is right, grad school sucks the life out of you.  It's more a test on how thick your skull is than of how well you use what's in it.  If you think applying for them is stressful you really should reconsider getting yourself into this life.

I feel like everyone who applies to grad school is at least somewhat stressed by the process.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
Recommendation letters just suck in general. Unless you really trust the person, there's always that nagging concern that they're gonna forget to write it, or send it, or that it'll get lost in the mail or a screwup at the admissions office, etc. etc.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »

I feel like everyone who applies to grad school is at least somewhat stressed by the process.
Stressful, sure, but assuming you're trying to go to a serious place, it's nothing compared to grad school.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
From a naive 16 year old's perspective, I'm looking forward more to grad school than to undergrad. :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
Why?  Undergrad you thrown together with all kinds of people who also aren't getting tied down to life.  Sure, there's work, but you'll have tons of free time and people to spend it with.   Grad school is career with 60+ hours of work a week.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »
Sounds scary, and i wanna go to be a mathematician.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
Why?  Undergrad you thrown together with all kinds of people who also aren't getting tied down to life.  Sure, there's work, but you'll have tons of free time and people to spend it with.   Grad school is career with 60+ hours of work a week.

But grad school seems to be where you get into the deep deep deep shit in the subject of interest.

For example, at this moment in time, I want to double major in Philosophy and Astrophysics. During undergrad, I'd be stuck with your basic history of philosophy, basic metaphysics, basic epistemology, the sun the moon and the stars, Newtonian mechanical physics, etc. All shit that can be fun, but isn't wicked interesting.

When you go to grad school, that's when you start learning about quantum mechanics*, the theory of everything, deep philosophical shit, how quantum mechanics affects philosophy, time travel, alternate dimensions, all that mind bending, mind blowing shit.

*FYI, depending on the track, you can take this your senior year.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
Grad school is about starting to create your own ideas, developing them into full products, and justifying why anybody should care to your field.  All the while you need to make sure nobody else has done it.

You learn what you need to learn to advance your field.  Classes hardly matter, except you'll be given do or die tests on them for PhD programs.  If you need to learn something, you need to find it and teach it to yourself.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
If the last three years of my college experience have taught me anything, it's that there's no way in hell I am ever doing grad school.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »

But grad school seems to be where you get into the deep deep deep shit in the subject of interest.

For example, at this moment in time, I want to double major in Philosophy and Astrophysics. During undergrad, I'd be stuck with your basic history of philosophy, basic metaphysics, basic epistemology, the sun the moon and the stars, Newtonian mechanical physics, etc. All shit that can be fun, but isn't wicked interesting.

When you go to grad school, that's when you start learning about quantum mechanics*, the theory of everything, deep philosophical shit, how quantum mechanics affects philosophy, time travel, alternate dimensions, all that mind bending, mind blowing shit.

Yeah, you get to learn all the stuff you want, and tons more other stuff. And from what I can tell, it can be A LOT and take up a lot of your life.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »
I understand that, but I think the ends justify the means.

Offline j

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Try applying to medical school.  I don't get stressed out about things, but that was a real pain in the ass, mostly because everybody applying has a 4.0 GPA and there is massive demand for just a few seats in each class, etc.  If you aren't set on it from the time you start undergrad, which I wasn't, you're at a pretty big disadvantage.

-J

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
I understand that, but I think the ends justify the means.
Out of curiosity, what do you think the ends are?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
A PhD and a life of writing books and teaching.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
Grad school is a pressing time indeed.

I personally went back and forth in the application process as well, due to grades, GA positions opening and closing, and a professor I wanted to use for a rec letter (the prof I'm still closest with and served as my boss) said she couldn't do it because she was the one making the decision.

Fortunately, it all worked out in my favor and I rocked out grad school (4.0 woo hoo).  I also got to do what I love for another two years, and won awards for being the hardest worker in my program at a spiffy banquet.  Made some great connections as well.  All in all it was much too academic for my taste, but I think that's to be expected.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

Didn't you want to be a lawyer like 2 months ago?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
Um...I wanted to study philosophy and then go to law school...about 6 months ago. Then I started learning more philosophy and more weird physics. My mom still wants me to do a PhD/JD program though. :lol

*waits for usual "You'll change your mind a thousand times" thingy*

Also, I'm not counting out being a lawyer yet. That is by far the most lucrative option I have with what I want to study, but it is also the most boring.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
Let me put grad school in this perspective:

In HS, you go until 3:30 or so and then you get the rest of day off.  Mommy and daddy take care of most of life's pressing needs, and you can have a lot of fun.

In college, you go to class whenever you have your classes scheduled for.  You need to take some of your personal time aside for projects and work because even though you have fewer classes, the rigor of your assignments is an order of magnitude more.  Mommy and daddy might take care of some pressing financial needs, but you have to wake your ass up, set your own bed time, make your own meals OR pay someone else to do so (dining hall, restaurants), you start learning some personal finance, and you have fun when you can.

In grad school, your first year is kind of like college, except by now your parents have told you that you're on your own, you'll likely have what equates to a job in an assistantship.  You can have a little fun until your first summer.  Then during the summer, you are expected to put your nose to the grindstone in terms of your research.
Then it goes downhill from there...you'll probably still be teaching, but your advisor (I call mine my boss) still expects 50+ hours of work from you.  If you get a research assistantship 70+ hours will be expected from you.  So, while teaching, doing research, and maybe finishing up an odd class or two you want/need, you have to start preparing for whatever weeding out process your school uses to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Most schools will use some combination of an oral examination in front of a committee and written work.  Oral examinations are the academia equivalent to being waterboarded, electrocuted, and stretched on the rack simultaniously.  Its the most humiliating experience - even when you pass with flying colors you still feel like a dumb piece of shit and you realize how FREAKING smart the professors really are.  It's like they turn on a switch and become omnipotent.  And there are three to five of them, so they cover each others asses and try to blow you out of the water.  If you have free time...you probably aren't cutting it.  Third year...another round of weeding.  So you have to prepare for that, along with doing even more research because at this point you're more competant and knowledgable, and your research will be even harder because by this point you'll be working on your own project instead of wrapping up the work of the previous grad student or post-doc.

Survive year three?  More research, more hoops to jump through and red tape to go through before you graduate, papers to write, conferences to attend and present at, tack on some more responsibilities because you're now the senior member of the group...and did I mention more research?  Oh, and you're probably still teaching or doing something to pull down a paycheck to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.  Damn, all this time you're also going to have lots of meetings...meetings for the class you teach, group meetings with your research group, one on one meetings with your advisor, departmental seminars both internal and external, and probably the occasional training meeting.  And all these meetings are from day one so get used to it.  I cram almost all of mine in Fridays since that's when external departmental seminars are.  So my Fridays are spent doing mostly administrative stuff...no time for research, guess I'm working Saturdays and Sundays.

Hell, I haven't even began talking about writing your dissertation.  I'm working on mine right now.  First chapter is usually a comprehensive review of what was previously done and also a justification for your research.  Mine is 22 pages, with 257 references.  That's 257 papers/reviews/book chapters you have to be INTIMATELY familiar with.  After that, you have to write up all your own work.  I'm not even half way done on that and I'm already over 160 pages.  I'm going to end up writing a 300+ page book that NO ONE IS GOING TO READ, EVER.

I had no clue that THAT is what grad school really is when I started.  And there you have it. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:17:52 PM by DTVT »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm not going to do grad school.

Standard 4 year college path plus maybe whatever stuff is necessitary to be qualified to teach at a HS level.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
How do law/med school compare to grad school?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges