Author Topic: Yoga and christians  (Read 1989 times)

Offline AndyDT

Yoga and christians
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:09 AM »
 Provided your not putting anything above Jesus I don't see why it would be but is yoga deprecated by Christians? Has anybody heard this?
What is your own view?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Yoga and christians
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »
If Yoga is treated as a religion, then it is incompatible with non-Hindu religions.  If you view it as exercise and relaxation then what conflict would there be?  How each individual treats with Yoga in their own mind determines its compatibility with their religion.  I would guess most don't even realize the whole of Yoga is more than a stress reduction tool. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
I know lots of middle-aged Catholic ladies who do Yoga. It's not an issue at all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
What?  Yoga has nothing to do with religion.   Yoga is something people do to relax.  Why would it even be considered a sin, let alone something contrary to a specific religion?

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
I like yoga...   especially raspberry flavored!  ;D
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
What?  Yoga has nothing to do with religion.
Wrong, Yoga is a Hindu philosophy that includes many elements of spirituality.  Someone that practices Yoga in the most direct sense is more or less practicing in a Hindu religion, or one closely related.  Most of us that ever do Yoga are not practicing Yoga, we are just doing the postures aspect of it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
Once again, DTF proves to be an educational place.  I had no idea.

Still, despite its roots in Hinduism, I can hardly see why the Christian god would have a problem with Yoga.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »
Well, have you asked him?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
My very friends believe it is inviting Satan into your life by emptying your mind of everything.

I never agreed with that. Meditation can be wonderful. I may do some tonight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
???  If there's anything wrong with yoga, that isn't it.  Do you friends realize that meditation is spoken of in a positive light over and over in the Bible?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
I think I was thinking of meditation when I replied earlier, not Yoga, which is a specific discipline.

But I've never heard that clearing your mind is "inviting Satan into your life".  Honestly, I think people just make shit up most of the time and then say it's bad because they thought of something that sounds bad that they can connect it to.  You could just as easily say that because meditation is clearing your mind of all thought, it is clearing your mind of evil thought, thus forcing Satan out.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
Eh, these friends of mine think heavy metal can be Satanic on the merits of it being what it is.

I read the book that they kinda formed their ideas upon this from, but...no. It's really quirky. But they don't have trouble watching all kinds of movies, which I found rather odd. Why remove the music but keep the secular movies and TV shows and jokes? Yeah.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
Honestly, I think people just make shit up most of the time and then say it's bad because they thought of something that sounds bad that they can connect it to.

profound thought of the day

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
meditation =/= emptying your mind
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 06:05:53 PM »
Some people think that bro

Edit: I think some people DO that as well

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
How can you meditate without something meditate on?  You can't chew the cud without cud.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Some of us are just born with emptier minds than others.  :biggrin:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
How can you meditate without something meditate on?  You can't chew the cud without cud.
Getting something out of your mind is the point of meditating, at least for me.

It's like I'll be constantly stressing over "how am I going to control x circumstance," which is usually something I have no control over at all.

Then, I'll just sit down and think about it. And think some more. Usually, I'll think about every little facet of the circumstance I'm in, every consequence, etc. And then I come to accept what I'm going through, what could happen as a result of that, and I eventually come to peace with it. And since I've thought about it completely and have come to accept it, it no longer shows up the next day in the form of a panic attack. Because it's "out of my mind" since I've meditated on it. 

Hope that clears some things up!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
???  If there's anything wrong with yoga, that isn't it.  Do you friends realize that meditation is spoken of in a positive light over and over in the Bible?

In fact prayer is usually the Christian form of meditation.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 05:52:09 AM »
meditation =/= emptying your mind
The christian concept of meditation is more contemplative. Itdoes include periods of non-mind as it's the main way you can let ideas form anyway. If you can't be silent then you're more likely to Edge God Out (EGO).

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 06:01:37 AM »
Once again, DTF proves to be an educational place.  I had no idea.

Still, despite its roots in Hinduism, I can hardly see why the Christian god would have a problem with Yoga.
Part of it is acknowledging the inner teacher. Christians believe humans are inherently sinful and that God is without which doesn't make sense to me if he works through you. I just use it to concentrate on God (as well as flexibility, strength). But I think the connotations of "yoga" with hinduism would threaten many christians in terms of being taken away from the religion.

All said and done though, it's often held at a sports centre not a temple and your inner teacher could be Jesus, the holy spirit, Brahman or whatever.

Offline monk

• Hello mirror so glad to see you my friend
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 12:27:52 AM »
There are two spiritual disciplines in Christianity that  people mistake for the eastern practice of meditation.
Meditation which has been pointed out is the act of chewing over thoughts, or passages of scripture.
Contemplation which is the act of emptying ourselves in order that we fill ourselves with Christ.
I never really knew how bad it was until I heard Deep Space 5
i love how this evolved form dry humping to ass sex
My Site

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »
What?  Yoga has nothing to do with religion.
Wrong, Yoga is a Hindu philosophy that includes many elements of spirituality.  Someone that practices Yoga in the most direct sense is more or less practicing in a Hindu religion, or one closely related.  Most of us that ever do Yoga are not practicing Yoga, we are just doing the postures aspect of it.

yorost is correct. My fiancée does Bikram Yoga. She just says she ignores what the guy says and she loves the stretching. But its a very spiritual part of Hinduism.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »
Eh, these friends of mine think heavy metal can be Satanic on the merits of it being what it is.

I read the book that they kinda formed their ideas upon this from, but...no. It's really quirky. But they don't have trouble watching all kinds of movies, which I found rather odd. Why remove the music but keep the secular movies and TV shows and jokes? Yeah.

I think you need better friends :)

On a less glib note, I think it's that some people are desperately afraid of/threatened by things with which they aren't familiar.

My wife experienced something like this in college...she took a trip to Europe with some people (many of whom were evangelical/fundamentalist Christians)...and those Christians were highly offended and uncomfortable when seeing the cathedrals, because they were different from the megachurches back home in TX.   :facepalm:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
My wife experienced something like this in college...she took a trip to Europe with some people (many of whom were evangelical/fundamentalist Christians)...and those Christians were highly offended and uncomfortable when seeing the cathedrals, because they were different from the megachurches back home in TX.   :facepalm:

...wow.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.