News:

Track-by-track video for Fall Into the Light:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

Main Menu

Death Metal

Started by Ultimetalhead, July 01, 2009, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Heaven Outcry Angel on June 29, 2011, 11:18:48 PM
is there any death metal without growls?

No, but there is Death Metal where the growls aren't as growly. Listen to Sepultura and Gojira.

ScioPath

What's wrong with growls?

Heaven Outcry Angel

thank you :)

Quote from: ScioPath on June 29, 2011, 11:26:37 PM
What's wrong with growls?

just not my thing but i can get why others like them I guess....

lateralus88

Nevermore has some heavy moments that borderline death metal heavy, and they are all clean vocals. They ARE NOT death metal, but once again, are extremely heavy in a very similar sense at times.

Heaven Outcry Angel

dethklok09

Quote from: lateralus88 on June 30, 2011, 01:08:05 AM
Nevermore has some heavy moments that borderline death metal heavy, and they are all clean vocals. They ARE NOT death metal, but once again, are extremely heavy in a very similar sense at times.
Basically this

Check out these songs:

Beyond within
The obsidian conspiracy
I, Voyager
The psalm of lydia

All of which in my opinion have death metal elements with clean vocals

Also, Jeff Loomis is GOD  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Edit: looks like you already knew them, oh well

lateralus88

SPNKr

Everyone shut up and listen to Nile.

necrotomist

Quote from: SPNKr on June 30, 2011, 05:37:46 PM
Everyone shut up and listen to Nile.

Nile is the best DM band out there these days. Saw them for the fourth time earlier this year, what a show!

Also looking forward to the new Decapitated album that's coming out pretty soon!

Ultimetalhead

zxlkho

The Morning Never Came

Obfuscation

Quote from: Ravenheart on June 28, 2011, 08:49:06 PM
ATTN: Cole

Death - The sound of Perseverance

The Sound of Perseverance is one of the greatest death metal albums ever!!!!!!!!!!! :metal Also I started listening to metal with death metal first and that band was Amon Amarth.  :xbones

lateralus88

I used to love Amon Amarth for the longest time. They have kind of lost their luster for me though. Not sure why.

MetalManiac666

New Decapitated is quite awesome.

Pinga

Quote from: 73109 on June 29, 2011, 11:26:19 PM
Quote from: Heaven Outcry Angel on June 29, 2011, 11:18:48 PM
is there any death metal without growls?

No, but there is Death Metal where the growls aren't as growly. Listen to Sepultura and Gojira.

:|

I'd like to nominate the first 20 seconds of this song for the most metal 20 seconds ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_gQsSv9s8

lateralus88

So I bought Immolation's third album "Here in After" yesterday. Holy shit this album is fucking heavy. I've always really loved their latest album Majesty of Decay and have been meaning to check out their earlier stuff. So fucking glad I did.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Pinga

Immolation is the shit.

Pinga

lateralus88

Quote from: Pinga on July 16, 2011, 02:23:20 PM
Quote from: 73109 on July 16, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
What?

Those two bands aren't death metal.
Well, Sepultura is definitely thrash but Beneath the Remains is arguably a death metal album stylistically. As for Gojira, they are mostly groove metal, but a lot of their influence and style is and comes from death metal.

Also old Gojra was practically old school death metal until they decided to progress in style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2fCRyJVok

dethklok09

Glad to see this thread pop up again, anyway going to listen to nile, and vader today.

Fuck yeah

MasterShakezula

Well, I checked out Necrophagist and The Faceless, and they are INTENSE!

I thank you, guy above me, for the recommendations, and will certainly end up exploring more into tech death. 

SPNKr

Quote from: MasterShakezula on July 16, 2011, 07:03:43 PM
checked out The Faceless, and they are INTENSE!

Good on you.

dethklok09

Quote from: MasterShakezula on July 16, 2011, 07:03:43 PM
Well, I checked out Necrophagist and The Faceless, and they are INTENSE!

I thank you, guy above me, for the recommendations, and will certainly end up exploring more into tech death. 
Glad you liked em.

Gadough

Jaq

I tend to lean more towards the technical end of the death metal spectrum, generally. Right now one of my favorite bands, period, is Obscura-Omnivium is an freaking AMAZING piece of technical death metal. Origin is another one of my favorites, really need to buy their newest. Brain Drill makes some crushing tech death, as well as a band called Anomalous: their CD Ohmnivalent is some right INSANE tech death, but with a decent sense of melody and progressive-ness. Turning towards the classics, I love Atheist, Death, and Cynic, although I'm not sure I'd call Cynic a death metal band anymore.

My favorite death metal band? Nile, no ifs, ands, or buts. Simply amazing band.

Other death metal bands I like: Necrophagist (c'mon guys, seven years is too long to wait for a new CD), the Faceless, Deeds of Flesh, Bloodbath, Hail of Bullets, Severed Savior, Neuraxis, Obituary, man, I could do this all day, and I haven't even gotten into melodic death metal. I seem to like more death metal than I thought I did!

lateralus88

Starkweather

Yep. Maybe a total of 7 posts in the last year though  :lol

@Origin dude, saw them the other day. They were pretty incredible. Vital Remains was awesome that show as well.

YtseBitsySpider

Would I be mistaken to label Trivium as Death metal?

Are they more thrash?

I've listened a couple cd's now and I get a metallica meets Opeth sort of feel to them

Pinga

Yes, they're more trash.  ;)

lateralus88

Quote from: YtseBitsySpider on July 18, 2011, 08:23:54 AM
Would I be mistaken to label Trivium as Death metal?

Are they more thrash?

I've listened a couple cd's now and I get a metallica meets Opeth sort of feel to them
Thrash influenced metalcore.

Quote from: Starkweather on July 18, 2011, 07:49:35 AM
Yep. Maybe a total of 7 posts in the last year though  :lol

@Origin dude, saw them the other day. They were pretty incredible. Vital Remains was awesome that show as well.
Nice  :metal :metal :metal