Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 73003 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Death Metal
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
Bumping this thread because I just discovered one of the greatest riffs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZCAarIVSI

This riff is making my pants very tight. Just holy shit I didn't think a riff that amazing was possible.  :metal :metal :metal :metal
holy shit... :metal
Seriously, I'm listening to the album in full (Like an Everflowing Stream, it even sounds badass!) and its totally tearing me apart, but I'm enjoying every second of it.  :metal

I need to listen to more Dismember, and more Swedish Death Metal in general.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »
Bumping this thread because I just discovered one of the greatest riffs of all time.

This riff is making my pants very tight. Just holy shit I didn't think a riff that amazing was possible.  :metal :metal :metal :metal

It is quite amazing :metal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:45 AM »
Bill Andrews was a bad, bad man.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY1lZtQZWU&feature=related
I didn't think of you as a death metal kind of person, El Barto. Cool vid though.

Offline jsem

« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Holy crap what an epic riff!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »
Bill Andrews was a bad, bad man.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY1lZtQZWU&feature=related
I didn't think of you as a death metal kind of person, El Barto. Cool vid though.

As a general rule, I'm not.  But Spiritual Healing is a motherfucker of an album, though. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »

As a general rule, I'm not.  But Spiritual Healing is a motherfucker of an album, though. 
Have you given any other old Death albums a chance? Because well...Leprosy.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »

Have you given any other old Death albums a chance? Because well...Leprosy.

Yeah, remember, I was around when Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy were current releases. Never really cared for much of their work before or after SH.  Spiritual Healing seemed to nail what I wanted to hear, whereas the earlier ones were much simpler, and the latter ones lacked the quality drum work of Andrews. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »
But...Leprosy is the best...ever.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
:2metal: THE SOUND OF PERSEVERANCE FTMFW :2metal:

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Also came here to say that Vader's Litany is incredibly incredible. :letam:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »

The Painkiller cover is my favorite Death song.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:50 PM »

The Painkiller cover is my favorite Death song.
One of my favorites. So fucking metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2010, 04:28:53 AM »
Chuck's vocals in that cover are simply amazing!!  I really wish he incorporated more of this high shrieking style in his original music.

Oh, and Individual Thought Patterns FTW!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
ITP is my least favorite of Death's last four albums. Still good shit though.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »
ITP features King Diamond's guitarist Andy Larocque.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »
ITP features King Diamond's guitarist Andy Larocque.

Yeah, his solos are fucking amazing.  Such a good contrast to Chuck's style, wished they did a couple more albums together.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:18 AM »
I'd like to take the time to mention Human. It marks the transition to technical metal while maintaining the brutality of death metal, something the latter albums lack a bit imo.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
I'd like to take the time to mention Human. It marks the transition to technical metal while maintaining the brutality of death metal, something the latter albums lack a bit imo.
I just want to say that loltards of madness is awesome.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »

Thanks, I'm thinking of doing a whole bunch of those. I might make a thread when I've got enough of them.

Also, Altars Of Madness :metal

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »

Thanks, I'm thinking of doing a whole bunch of those. I might make a thread when I've got enough of them.

Also, Altars Of Madness :metal
:2metal:

One of the greatest death metal albums ever. I'm thinking that I like you already :metal

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: January 02, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
I last listened to a death metal album in about 1852. I listened to Altars Of Darkness, Morbid Angel, today and it was really good! Great old death metal.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »
Decapitated, anyone?The album "Winds of Creation" is excellent.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #269 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

I've mentioned this before about Death's last few albums as well.  I love Symbolic , Individual Thought Patterns and Sound Of Perseverance, but the music has morphed into something other than death metal.  The playing is very clean, the production quite polished, and Chuck's vocals are more like a raspy whisper than a true death growl.  The music is more acrobatic than brutal.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
Decapitated, anyone?The album "Winds of Creation" is excellent.

Nihility FTW

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2011, 03:27:39 AM »

I've mentioned this before about Death's last few albums as well.  I love Symbolic , Individual Thought Patterns and Sound Of Perseverance, but the music has morphed into something other than death metal.  The playing is very clean, the production quite polished, and Chuck's vocals are more like a raspy whisper than a true death growl.  The music is more acrobatic than brutal.

That's a very good description.  I for one, loved what they morphed into on TSOP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:39 AM »
hmmmm I am probably going to be shot for saying this...

I'm not big into death metal. The only bands that would qualify are local bands that you probably have never heard of... Great for releasing energy at shows though
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
hmmmm I am probably going to be shot for saying this...

I'm not big into death metal. The only bands that would qualify are local bands that you probably have never heard of... Great for releasing energy at shows though

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2011, 04:49:50 AM »
am i late for the party?
anyway big fan of all kinds of death metal (preferably tech death)
fav bands in the genre
atheist
cannibal corpse
death
psycroptic
the faceless
necrophagist

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
am i late for the party?

Oh, happy birthday btw.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »

That's a very good description.  I for one, loved what they morphed into on TSOP.

I guess it depends on what you grew up on.  Once Chuck started getting screechier, it stopped being Death to me.   
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »

I guess it depends on what you grew up on.  Once Chuck started getting screechier, it stopped being Death to me.   

Fair enough, I can easily see where you are coming from since it's the same band who wrote albums like Spiritual Healing and Leprosy back in the day.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »
THREAD REVIVAL

On the discussion of Death, I too prefer Chuck's earlier vocal style. Not to discredit the later albums at all, they're fantastic, but Leprosy is and forever will be where it's at.

On a related note, I've been spinning Cryptopsy's first two albums quite a bit lately. Shame they went the deathcore route, really.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »
I disagree. What a surprise. :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.