Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 71357 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Death Metal
« Reply #630 on: March 06, 2023, 03:09:20 PM »
Didn't know Gorod had a knew one coming out.  I will definitely check it out. A Maze of Recycled Creeds is a really great album.

Agreed! Very Underrated band imo.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2023, 02:12:55 PM »
Cool.

Gorod. Proggish French tech death. Anyone a fan? Been spinning Æthra a bit for a few weeks. Great album. Don't know anything else by them. They have a new one The Orb dropping next week.

Gorod CRUSHES! I have all of their stuff. You need to check out their other stuff! Start with A Perfect Absolution and A Maze Of Recycled Creeds. Cannot wait for the new album. These dudes are top of the tech death genre.

I'm really digging it so will def get on these.  ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #632 on: March 13, 2023, 12:02:16 PM »
So I've had a couple of listens to the new Gorod, and it is really good.  Like their best album good.  It's a definite album of the year contender for me.  So glad I happened to check this thread and caught wind of this album, or it may have been awhile before this album crossed my radar.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #633 on: March 13, 2023, 12:11:29 PM »
So I've had a couple of listens to the new Gorod, and it is really good.  Like their best album good.  It's a definite album of the year contender for me.  So glad I happened to check this thread and caught wind of this album, or it may have been awhile before this album crossed my radar.

I agree! Though early in the year this will be top of my 2023 list. The Doors cover on the new album is excellent!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:38:59 PM by Glasser »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #634 on: March 13, 2023, 02:15:17 PM »
I've only heard a few songs so far as I've reached my limit on death metal albums I'm not that familiar with but are in regular rotation at the moment.

Liked what I heard, though. More than a whiff of Mastodon in there?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #635 on: March 14, 2023, 10:21:39 AM »
Had more of The Orb today. Really enjoying it. Not feeling the Masto-whiff I mentioned before, but really good.

EDIT: After more listens - I keep on spinning it, I love this record.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:55:44 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #636 on: March 28, 2023, 06:02:50 PM »
Just popping in here to say I'm really enjoy the latest Gorod too...it's so incredibly...sharp? The guitars on this thing are excellent, they make everything sound kinda catchy even amidst the technical madness.

I see they have quite a few albums in their catalog. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:32 AM »
The Orb is still kicking my ass too.  What a great record!  Lots of great technical, but catchy riffs that are quite memorable.   A Maze of Recycled Creeds is probably my next favorite of their albums, and I also like Process of a New Decline and A Perfect Absolution a lot. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:12:26 AM by billboy73 »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #638 on: March 29, 2023, 04:17:52 PM »
Still digging it here too. Great all over.

The previous one Æthra is really good too but that's the only other I've heard.

EDIT: Thus far: I slightly prefer Aethra. Similar but a bit more invisible oranges.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 07:41:31 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2023, 05:15:43 PM »
Still digging it here too. Great all over.

The previous one Æthra is really good too but that's the only other I've heard.

All of their stuff is that good. Please check out "A Maze Of Recycled Creeds", its my favorite of theirs.  :metal

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #640 on: March 31, 2023, 07:58:02 PM »
So the roof collapsed on the Apollo Theater in Belvidere, IL tonight as a result of the storm system that just moved through. Looks like Morbid Angel was performing there tonight. Not sure who might have been on stage when it happened, but waiting on details in the news here.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #641 on: March 31, 2023, 09:00:45 PM »
Declared a mass casualty event with 20 ambulances called to the scene. No idea on actual injury data yet.

https://www.mystateline.com/news/local-news/first-responders-called-to-belvideres-apollo-theater-on-reports-of-collapsed-roof-due-to-powerful-storm/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #642 on: April 01, 2023, 12:04:33 AM »
Shit. That's not what you expect on a night out.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #643 on: April 01, 2023, 04:06:04 AM »
So the roof collapsed on the Apollo Theater in Belvidere, IL tonight as a result of the storm system that just moved through. Looks like Morbid Angel was performing there tonight. Not sure who might have been on stage when it happened, but waiting on details in the news here.

The venue was hit by a tornado. They were reportedly between sets when the roof collapsed, Crypta had just finished. Trey Azagthoth said he was in their tour bus when it hit, so he can be very thankful he's still alive. https://blabbermouth.net/news/roof-at-morbid-angel-concert-in-illinois-collapses-1-dead-28-hospitalized

This was part of a significant tornado outbreak: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/230331_rpts.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:48:48 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #644 on: April 01, 2023, 09:09:50 AM »
Just saw the video of the inside right after the collapse. Pretty scary. I saw John 5 there last year. Nice little venue. Wonder if they will come back from this.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #645 on: April 03, 2023, 01:19:12 PM »
Fernanda Lira of Crypta told ABC Chicago news that the guy that died in the collapse was the ONLY person to buy a Crypta t-shirt from them that night.  How sad.

I did see that the promoter will allow anyone who was attending the Belvidere Morbid Angel show to attend Wednesday night's show in Joliet for free.  I also saw that a hospitality group in Joliet put up all of the band members in a hotel for a few days as well so they could figure out how to get the tour moving again (Crypta lost their RV to damage). 

It's cool to see some positive things come out of that situation, and it has been strange to hear local news talk about Morbid Angel. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2023, 06:23:47 PM »
Horrendous released a first new song from their upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8tHOwWHnk

Pretty cool tune! Love the production on their records.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #647 on: May 26, 2023, 07:18:04 PM »
Was Death the only death metal band to write stuff about social and psychological issues instead of satanism and/or paganism?

I mean…In Flames I suppose. Anyone else?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #648 on: May 26, 2023, 08:00:41 PM »
Was Death the only death metal band to write stuff about social and psychological issues instead of satanism and/or paganism?

Opeth.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #649 on: May 26, 2023, 08:08:17 PM »

Opeth.

Ok. I can see now that I didn’t include spiritism and the occult in my post. I just take it as a given that those things all fall under a similar umbrella.  I actually really love Opeth, but the majority of their material involves spiritism or occult themes.

EDIT - I was just realizing that as much as I love Death, the only reason why i’ve continue to listen to them so many years later is because their themes are so refreshing when compared to everybody else in the genre.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #650 on: May 26, 2023, 11:01:10 PM »
I came here to post about the new Cattle Decapitation album, Terrasite. It's my favourite death metal album of the year so far, and it kind of lines up with what you're talking about jammindude.

I'm not sure about their previous work, but this album focuses on environmentalist issues and overpopulation. Similarly Gojira (who aren't straight up death metal, I know) have been writing about environmentalist issues for their whole career.

There are probably loads of others if i have a good think about. The problem is, that most death metal I don't always know what they're singing about  :lol

Anyway, everyone should check out Terrasite, I know Glasser will back me up.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2023, 01:29:34 AM »
Horrendous released a first new song from their upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8tHOwWHnk

Pretty cool tune! Love the production on their records.

That's hitting all the right spots for me.  :tup I don't listen to them that much but every time I do I love 'em.

I came here to post about the new Cattle Decapitation album, Terrasite. It's my favourite death metal album of the year so far, and it kind of lines up with what you're talking about jammindude.

I'm not sure about their previous work, but this album focuses on environmentalist issues and overpopulation. Similarly Gojira (who aren't straight up death metal, I know) have been writing about environmentalist issues for their whole career.

There are probably loads of others if i have a good think about. The problem is, that most death metal I don't always know what they're singing about  :lol

Need to give this a spin. Enjoyed the singles.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2023, 02:44:34 PM »

Absolutely a next level album! Cattle Decap set the bar very high on this one for sure!!!

Quote from the band:

“I wanted to do the 180° opposite of Death Atlas. I already had the concept idea from years back and since Death Atlas was so dark and brooding, I wanted a completely opposite effect - I wanted this to take place in the daylight. I’ve always found daytime horror to be really unsettling so I wanted to make sure what was going on on the cover took place in the light of day, which also finds its place within the lyrics.”

“We see the nymph stage of this human/cockroach hybrid that is more of a fully grown being that has just molted from its ootheca stage, startled, confused, frightened but also pissed off and ready to join the rest of its brood in finishing humanity’s job of destroying the Earth.” When asked where he is coming from lyrically on this record, Ryan frankly states “from a place of distress. Anger, rage, resentment, depression, anxiety, a poor outlook on our species both on a day-to-day level, a broader, worldly level as well as a philosophical level.” For example, the lyrics of “A Photic Doom” “are more of just a metaphor for being alone in your head and turning away from the life that is exposed by the light of day. Shaking your fist at the sun for exposing this place to us. For uncovering the depravity of our species and casting light onto subjects rather than letting them rest in the darkness”. Then there is “Scourge Of The Offspring” which “makes up the bulk of the album’s concept that the first song “Terrasitic Adaptation” and the cover art sort of set into motion. In the first song we find out what's going on on the cover, and this song deals more with what our children will end up being - adult humans, shat out and left to make sense of this world only to end up being part of the problem simply by existing.”

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:17:43 PM by Glasser »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2023, 03:07:39 PM »

Writing about macabre topics is really more the realm of the OSDM, brutal, or throwback bands.  When you get to more progressive, melodic, or technical bands, the subject matter usually shifts as well.  I don't know how specific you are about social and psychological themes in particular, sometimes it's more about philosophy, cosmology, sci-fi, history and such. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »

Writing about macabre topics is really more the realm of the OSDM, brutal, or throwback bands.  When you get to more progressive, melodic, or technical bands, the subject matter usually shifts as well.  I don't know how specific you are about social and psychological themes in particular, sometimes it's more about philosophy, cosmology, sci-fi, history and such.

I’m not sure that BTBAM qualifies as a “death metal” band, though they certainly sound pretty close sometimes. But that’s another reason why I absolutely freaking love those guys.   I would love it if more Death bands followed that outline. I mean, if it was good enough for Chuck (who in many people’s minds is the godfather of death metal) you’d think there would be more bands to pick up that thread.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »
The other thing is that the further Chuck got from gore lyrics, the further his music got from death metal as well.  People who are stricter about the definition of death metal don't consider the last few Death albums to be death metal, and certainly wouldn't count BTBAM, In Flames and others either.  There are exceptions, but the purer the sound is as death metal, the more likely the lyrics will go along with it. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #656 on: May 28, 2023, 08:13:44 PM »
I've been enjoying some albums from Gatecreeper and Frozen Soul lately.  Nice to find some newer bands/albums.  I've also gone back to The Halo Effect's album from last year, which continues to blow my mind.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2023, 12:14:57 PM »
The new Dieth album kicks ass!  Swedish death/thrash metal featuring Ellefson on bass and former members of Entombed and Decapitated. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #658 on: June 09, 2023, 07:50:14 AM »
The new Phlebotomized album, Clouds of Confusion, has been getting quite a few spins since it was released a couple of weeks ago.  I discovered this band a few months ago, and really liked some of their older stuff, but Clouds of Confusion is top notch stuff.  Give it a listen!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #659 on: June 10, 2023, 01:58:18 PM »
I've been enjoying some albums from Gatecreeper and Frozen Soul lately.  Nice to find some newer bands/albums.  I've also gone back to The Halo Effect's album from last year, which continues to blow my mind.

Enjoyed some Gatecreeper off the beck of this comment. Thanks!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2023, 12:22:16 PM »
Volbeat's Michael Poulsen launches Asinhell:https://blabbermouth.net/news/volbeats-michael-poulsen-launches-new-death-metal-band-asinhell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRxDksHxoqQ

Reminds me a bit of Symbolic era Death. Makes me wanna check out the other projects vocalist Marc Grewe is involved with.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #661 on: July 22, 2023, 05:01:48 AM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #662 on: July 28, 2023, 05:53:19 PM »
New single from Stortregn, "Xeno Chaos":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whGs0zUzyQ

Stylistically, it sounds very much in line with the material on Impermanence. I was maybe impressed more by the melodic parts than the heavy/aggressive ones...case in point, the section with the acoustic guitars and the solo is super-cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2023, 06:15:44 PM »
New single from Stortregn, "Xeno Chaos":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whGs0zUzyQ

Stylistically, it sounds very much in line with the material on Impermanence. I was maybe impressed more by the melodic parts than the heavy/aggressive ones...case in point, the section with the acoustic guitars and the solo is super-cool.

WOW! That is really nice.

Could the drummer look less enthused at the very beginning? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty cool.  Didn't expect the flamenco-ish vibe in parts.  Some people probably don't like me being the subgenre police, but to me it's way more suited to the melodic death metal thread though.  :)