Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 71388 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #595 on: July 09, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »
Tagtgren especially, IMO. But, in this climate of nearly ubiquitous samey vocal styles, I love that Holmes differs.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #596 on: July 09, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »
They're still one of the better throwback death bands, but I'm not nearly as much of a fan of Holmes as a vocalist as I am of Akerfeldt and Tagtgren.

I have to agree with this...I love Holmes in Paradise Lost, but not when he's growling  :biggrin: In fact, as much as I've enjoyed PL's latest run of albums, I wish he hadn't gone back to harsh vocals. They are not that great, and I don't feel the music needs them.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #597 on: July 09, 2022, 05:50:25 PM »
Yeah, I prefer Holmes clean or with a bit of grit, particularly in his Hetfield mode like Draconian Times or Believe In Nothing.  I think the best Swedeath vocalist going right now might be Christopher Saterdal on Demonical's last two albums.  I love that deeper, aggressive growl style. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: July 10, 2022, 12:34:49 PM »
It's funny because I actually think his voice fits this song alot.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #599 on: August 28, 2022, 01:47:47 AM »

Blackstar - Barbed Wire Soul

I've been listening to a fair bit of Carcass and Napalm Death this week. I have only just found out about Blackstar so spinning this for the first time now.

Blackstar are a band founded by Ken Owen and Jeff Walker, following the initial break up of Carcass. As far as I can tell they only released one album. It's a continuation of the Swansong era Carcass and is OK so far.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #600 on: August 28, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »

Blackstar - Barbed Wire Soul

I've been listening to a fair bit of Carcass and Napalm Death this week. I have only just found out about Blackstar so spinning this for the first time now.

Blackstar are a band founded by Ken Owen and Jeff Walker, following the initial break up of Carcass. As far as I can tell they only released one album. It's a continuation of the Swansong era Carcass and is OK so far.

I'll definitely be checking this out!  :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #601 on: September 12, 2022, 06:52:12 AM »
Has anyone checked out the new Bloodbath album?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #602 on: September 12, 2022, 07:19:27 AM »
Has anyone checked out the new Bloodbath album?

Yes, I really liked it. It's the first full Bloodbath album I've ever listened to. I checked out quite a few new death metal albums on Friday, and this was one of the best  :metal

What did you think?

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #603 on: September 12, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »
Bloodbath is pretty good on first listen.

The new Fallujah is pretty impressive as well. Stumbled upon a review and gave it a spin. It“s technical and heavy but still has great atmosphere and hooks. One of my favorite recent releases and probably top 10 this year.

New Revocation is next.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #604 on: September 12, 2022, 01:20:15 PM »
Loving the new Bloodbath - it's probably my favorite of the three albums with Nick Holmes.  Absolutely crushing!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #605 on: September 24, 2022, 01:31:27 AM »
I also spun the new Bloodbath this week. Great energy and love Nick's vocals on it. It got a bit gorey for me on the lyrics (i know, it's death metal) and I struggle not to get grossed out by that, even in a "comedy" setting. I'll be going back to it, though.

Listening to that, combined with a bit of angst due to a recent family change, had me going round the houses looking for something extreme to channel my emotional state into and had a bit of an epiphany. Coincidentally:

Napalm Death! I was at school and just discovering metal in the late 80s and was just like wtf about them. Too much for young me (but learned to play Scum for the first cover band i was ever in) .  A few years later I really enjoyed Breed To Breathe on a magazine's cover disc but thought little of it. Years later again I bought Enemies Of The Music Business on a whim but it didn't stick for me. Just 2 years back I played something of their last album but, again, no dice.

But this week, I've played and absolutely loved Throes, Apex Predator and Utilitarian. Blinding. The energy and rage are immense. Dig the lyrical slant too.

The lesson for me? Wait 35 years for music to fit your mood before writing it off.  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2022, 08:19:24 PM »
I know there are joke bands fronted by parakeets and rottweilers, or something like that, but someone needs to get one into a studio!  There was the Bat Cave in London, but it was just a club, and maybe not even open anymore. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #608 on: February 24, 2023, 11:45:38 AM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=759016345587892&id=100044386001028

Doesn't look like Blood Incantation have their own thread, here's a link to their latest post. They're going to stream a live performance of Timewave Zero  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #609 on: February 24, 2023, 01:52:28 PM »

Doesn't look like Blood Incantation have their own thread, here's a link to their latest post. They're going to stream a live performance of Timewave Zero  :metal

Love these dudes!!! Great post Luke :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #610 on: February 24, 2023, 02:53:09 PM »

Yea, they really are a great band. There's also something I really love about sci-fi death metal. I'm a total sucker for it!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #611 on: February 24, 2023, 11:02:28 PM »

Yea, they really are a great band. There's also something I really love about sci-fi death metal. I'm a total sucker for it!

Check out Gigan.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #612 on: February 24, 2023, 11:24:09 PM »
I was really into death metal when it was new (87-92ish) but it turned into a very one dimensional genre to me very quickly.

I think that’s one of the reasons I’ve always liked Death. I always got the feeling that Chuck liked death metal as a teenager…but then got sick of it, and was always trying to outgrow it. And that’s the very thing that made Death the most original death metal band that has ever existed.

Having said that, there was this unsigned band called Phantasm that released two demos in the early 90s that was some of the most amazing stuff I had ever heard. Their 1995 demo The Abominable was jaw dropping. 

But IDK. I can appreciate it as an amazing work of its genre on one level, but on another level, I’m just not pissed off enough to appreciate it anymore.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #613 on: February 24, 2023, 11:32:08 PM »

Check out Gigan.

On it  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2023, 01:39:44 PM »
Hit upon a Swedish death thrash outfit called Carnosus the other week. Been digging it ever since. It's at the right point on the dial for me. The vocals are varied, mad-sounding and well enunciated. There's tons of riffs, great drums and arrangements. Really good leads. Love it.

https://youtu.be/a_LUcAGGwQE

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #615 on: February 26, 2023, 01:47:56 PM »
Their '20 album was pretty good, I've been meaning to check this one out.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #616 on: February 26, 2023, 02:12:42 PM »
Hit upon a Swedish death thrash outfit called Carnosus the other week. Been digging it ever since. It's at the right point on the dial for me. The vocals are varied, mad-sounding and well enunciated. There's tons of riffs, great drums and arrangements. Really good leads. Love it.

https://youtu.be/a_LUcAGGwQE

100% agree! Very good album. Overall, it's along the lines of the recent wave technical death metal, but there's enough of a thrash attitude that makes it pop a little more. And yes, there's great riffs and leads.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #617 on: February 26, 2023, 02:43:50 PM »
I'll give them a go  :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #618 on: February 27, 2023, 03:05:49 PM »

Luke, I'm curious what you think of Gigan? Assuming you checked them out.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #619 on: February 27, 2023, 03:27:12 PM »

I listened to Multidimensional Fractal Sorcery and Super Science. I wasn't particularly blown away by it but saved it to a playlist to revisit. I've queued up Undulating Waves of Rainbiotic Iridescence after the new Insomnium, so I'll let you know if that one hits any better.

Great album titles though  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #620 on: February 27, 2023, 06:58:44 PM »

I listened to Multidimensional Fractal Sorcery and Super Science. I wasn't particularly blown away by it but saved it to a playlist to revisit. I've queued up Undulating Waves of Rainbiotic Iridescence after the new Insomnium, so I'll let you know if that one hits any better.

Great album titles though  :metal

Honestly it took a while for me to get Gigan but something about them kept me revisiting them and now I love them.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #621 on: March 01, 2023, 03:08:39 PM »
Been listening to Idol by Horrendous today. And Blood Incantation's recent-ish one that isn't the synthy one yesterday. Great stuff!

(I liked Ecdysis when it came out but haven't been back to them much since, purely because of mood, but in the death metal mode atm.)

The creativity of the music on both albums really blew me away. Both are similar in my mind, in that they were flowing and weaving beautifully through brutality, jazziness, psych sections... Really impressive.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #622 on: March 01, 2023, 03:46:06 PM »
Been listening to Idol by Horrendous today. And Blood Incantation's recent-ish one that isn't the synthy one yesterday. Great stuff!

(I liked Ecdysis when it came out but haven't been back to them much since, purely because of mood, but in the death metal mode atm.)

The creativity of the music on both albums really blew me away. Both are similar in my mind, in that they were flowing and weaving beautifully through brutality, jazziness, psych sections... Really impressive.

Anareta is my fave Horrendous album.

Hey Doctor, if you're in a DM mood please check out Architect of Seth.

https://architectofseth.bandcamp.com/album/the-persistence-of-scars
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 03:53:19 PM by Glasser »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2023, 02:23:53 AM »

Anareta is my fave Horrendous album.

Hey Doctor, if you're in a DM mood please check out Architect of Seth.

https://architectofseth.bandcamp.com/album/the-persistence-of-scars

That yours, man? Great guitar savagery!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
Doc, Architect of Seth is not my band. Just a fan.   :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #625 on: March 06, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »
Cool.

Gorod. Proggish French tech death. Anyone a fan? Been spinning Ęthra a bit for a few weeks. Great album. Don't know anything else by them. They have a new one The Orb dropping next week.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #626 on: March 06, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
Cool.

Gorod. Proggish French tech death. Anyone a fan? Been spinning Ęthra a bit for a few weeks. Great album. Don't know anything else by them. They have a new one The Orb dropping next week.

Gorod CRUSHES! I have all of their stuff. You need to check out their other stuff! Start with A Perfect Absolution and A Maze Of Recycled Creeds. Cannot wait for the new album. These dudes are top of the tech death genre.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #627 on: March 06, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
Cool.

Gorod CRUSHES! I have all of their stuff. You need to check out their other stuff! Start with A Perfect Absolution and A Maze Of Recycled Creeds. Cannot wait for the new album. These dudes are top of the tech death genre.

I've never been able to get into Gorod. They were just lacking something for me personally.

Glasser, I think you may be aware of these guys, but the new album Time Will Take Us All by Entheos, is a great slab of progressive/tech death. Check it out if you haven't already.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #628 on: March 06, 2023, 02:59:02 PM »
Cool.

I've never been able to get into Gorod. They were just lacking something for me personally.

Glasser, I think you may be aware of these guys, but the new album Time Will Take Us All by Entheos, is a great slab of progressive/tech death. Check it out if you haven't already.

Oh yes. I've had the Entheos for a few weeks. Love them! Chaney is an insane vocalist, she's nasty. Great live band as well!  :metal

Offline billboy73

« Reply #629 on: March 06, 2023, 03:07:58 PM »
Didn't know Gorod had a knew one coming out.  I will definitely check it out. A Maze of Recycled Creeds is a really great album.