Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 73064 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #665 on: July 28, 2023, 06:30:48 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty cool.  Didn't expect the flamenco-ish vibe in parts.  Some people probably don't like me being the subgenre police, but to me it's way more suited to the melodic death metal thread though.  :)

Thanks for clearing that up. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #666 on: July 28, 2023, 07:23:09 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty cool.  Didn't expect the flamenco-ish vibe in parts.  Some people probably don't like me being the subgenre police, but to me it's way more suited to the melodic death metal thread though.  :)

:lol

I think they were more that way with the earlier records, while the more recent ones tended to to spill over the "technical" death metal area a bit...but, anyway, I figured "death metal" was a relatively safe choice for a thread  :biggrin:

Could the drummer look less enthused at the very beginning? :lol

Yeah, he doesn't seem to be that much into it  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2023, 07:33:12 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2023, 06:09:39 AM »
New single from Stortregn, "Xeno Chaos":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whGs0zUzyQ

Stylistically, it sounds very much in line with the material on Impermanence. I was maybe impressed more by the melodic parts than the heavy/aggressive ones...case in point, the section with the acoustic guitars and the solo is super-cool.

Fucking love this band.  That was unique and outstanding, excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #669 on: July 29, 2023, 03:51:13 PM »

I think they were more that way with the earlier records, while the more recent ones tended to to spill over the "technical" death metal area a bit...but, anyway, I figured "death metal" was a relatively safe choice for a thread  :biggrin:

Yeah, this seemed to lean way more into the melodic than technical aspects, but I suppose their last couple albums make them eligible for the normal death metal thread, so I'll allow it.   :police:

Offline nick_z

« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2023, 06:04:32 PM »

Yeah, this seemed to lean way more into the melodic than technical aspects, but I suppose their last couple albums make them eligible for the normal death metal thread, so I'll allow it.   :police:

:tup  :biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #671 on: July 31, 2023, 01:57:27 PM »
Holy hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnI8dnQSlw

Man, I haven’t listened to Kataklysm in years. My older bro was a big fan and probably shared some mp3s close to 20 years ago! This was alright, might check out the album.

New single from Stortregn, "Xeno Chaos":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9whGs0zUzyQ

Stylistically, it sounds very much in line with the material on Impermanence. I was maybe impressed more by the melodic parts than the heavy/aggressive ones...case in point, the section with the acoustic guitars and the solo is super-cool.

This was really fucking good though. I’ve checked out two of their albums, but don’t remember any of it sounding this good?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: July 31, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »
Emptiness Fills the Void is an amazing album Luke.  The last one Impermanence was fantastic also.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #673 on: July 31, 2023, 03:10:45 PM »
Emptiness Fills the Void is an amazing album Luke.  The last one Impermanence was fantastic also.

Well, as always, I guess I’ll queue them up  :tup

Offline billboy73

« Reply #674 on: August 01, 2023, 08:25:47 AM »
I discovered Stortregn when Impermanence came out, and I really loved that one.  Xeno Chaos is a great track, and I have no doubt that the new album will indeed slay.

I've always enjoyed Kataklysm, but I thought the last album, Unconquered was terrible.  New track sounds pretty good, so hopefully the new one is a step up.  The Houde albums, Sorcery and Temple of Knowledge, are classics, and a few of my favorites from the Maurizio era are:

The Prophecy
Shadows & Dust
Serenity In Fire
In The Arms of Devastation
Waiting for the End to Come

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #675 on: August 02, 2023, 05:05:31 PM »
Just been going through album releases for the year and 2023 has been a pretty good year for death metal. Here’s a few of the albums that have been doing it for me. Now surprises that they pretty much all have technical/progressive leanings…

Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
Entheos - Time Will Take Us All
Obituary - Dying of Everything
Nothingness - Supraliminal
Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility
Ulthar - Anthronomicon
Fleshvessel - Yearning: Promethean Fates Sealed
Rannoch - Conflagrations
Sarmat - Determined to Strike

Offline nick_z

« Reply #676 on: August 02, 2023, 06:51:58 PM »
Just been going through album releases for the year and 2023 has been a pretty good year for death metal. Here’s a few of the albums that have been doing it for me. Now surprises that they pretty much all have technical/progressive leanings…

Ulthar - Anthronomicon
Rannoch - Conflagrations

Some good ones in there, and some I still have to check out properly...

Another fun, technical one is Gorod - The Orb

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #677 on: August 03, 2023, 12:58:51 AM »

Ulthar - Anthronomicon
Rannoch - Conflagrations

I’ve tried Gorod a few times, including the latest, and I can’t seem to get on with them.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #678 on: August 03, 2023, 04:43:30 AM »

Ulthar - Anthronomicon
Rannoch - Conflagrations

I’ve tried Gorod a few times, including the latest, and I can’t seem to get on with them.

I had seen them mentioned often, but The Orb was the first album of theirs I actually heard. I like that it’s technical but catchy too…

The Carnosus record you mention is super tasty

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #679 on: August 03, 2023, 10:24:20 AM »
The new Crypta album is out tomorrow!   :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #680 on: August 08, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
First single from the next Sulphur Aeon is out.  Whole album should release in October.  As much as I love melodic death metal, I also love how this is more "death metal that is melodic". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ju2l-ekJV8&ab_channel=vanrecords

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #681 on: August 19, 2023, 05:28:30 PM »
Not sure if this is a hot take or not. I’m currently listening to World Demise by Obituary, and I think it might be my favourite Obituary album  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #682 on: August 19, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »
Not sure if this is a hot take or not. I’m currently listening to World Demise by Obituary, and I think it might be my favourite Obituary album  :metal

Nice take! My fave is still Slowly We Rot.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #683 on: August 19, 2023, 05:35:33 PM »

Nice take! My fave is still Slowly We Rot.

Slowly We Rot is probably #3 for me, with Cause of Death in #2. Their post 2000 albums are fine, but you could probably put the albums on shuffle and I wouldn’t be able to tell you which song was from which album.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #684 on: August 19, 2023, 08:21:34 PM »
I went through some of their records earlier this summer.  From what I recall of World Demise, there's a lot of slower songs, which didn't really grab me.

I like Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death and a few of the recent albums (Inked in Blood, s/t, and the new one).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #685 on: August 19, 2023, 09:21:05 PM »
I went through some of their records earlier this summer.  From what I recall of World Demise, there's a lot of slower songs, which didn't really grab me.

I like Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death and a few of the recent albums (Inked in Blood, s/t, and the new one).

I do love Cause Of Death a lot as well. James Murphy on guitar!. :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #686 on: August 19, 2023, 09:26:36 PM »
I never pimped my closest friend Andy's band here, maybe because its personal to me and didn't want negative feedback, but its all good so let me know what you think. We grew up together and are still very close. He's working on new stuff as we speak. Old school thrashy DM band Prime Evil. Have a look at this video! I love it. Andy is the vocalist!  :metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-koqEn32N0

BUMP! I want feedback please. They are working on a new album! Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 04:17:21 PM by Glasser »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #687 on: August 19, 2023, 11:45:50 PM »
I checked out the new album from Horrendous yesterday and it’s incredible. I’d never heard of them before but I was instantly hooked.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #688 on: August 20, 2023, 12:34:46 AM »
I checked out the new album from Horrendous yesterday and it’s incredible. I’d never heard of them before but I was instantly hooked.

Yea it’s really good. Definitely looking forward to giving it a few more spins.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: August 20, 2023, 05:37:59 PM »
A sampled a tune off it last night, really enjoyed it.  Great mix of styles.  Loved the vocals.  Will have to check the whole thing.  Never heard them before.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #690 on: August 20, 2023, 07:31:45 PM »
Someone needs to run a pure death metal roulette sometime - no clean vocals allowed.  Those songs don't often do as well in competition with other styles, but that would level the playing field. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: August 20, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »
Someone needs to run a pure death metal roulette sometime - no clean vocals allowed.  Those songs don't often do as well in competition with other styles, but that would level the playing field.

Might suggest this to Chad.  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #692 on: August 20, 2023, 09:01:18 PM »
That'll happen right about the time TAC runs an electronic roulette.   :tup

Offline billboy73

« Reply #693 on: August 21, 2023, 08:15:45 AM »

Yea it’s really good. Definitely looking forward to giving it a few more spins.

Been listening to it all weekend, and I really like it.  I love some of the thrashier sections and there are lots of great melodic guitar bits.  Definite album of the year contender for me.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #694 on: August 21, 2023, 08:17:37 AM »
been getting into Death, great band!  :yarr
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #695 on: August 21, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

That would be excellent!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #696 on: August 21, 2023, 01:29:10 PM »

That would be excellent!

Glasser you are literally the man for this and a perfect entry into the world of roulettes!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #697 on: August 22, 2023, 03:24:50 PM »

That would be excellent!

Glasser you are literally the man for this and a perfect entry into the world of roulettes!

I would love to but I think I need another roulette or 2 under my belt before running one..  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #698 on: August 24, 2023, 02:14:30 AM »

That would be excellent!

I would love to but I think I need another roulette or 2 under my belt before running one..  :metal

Good man for not giving an outright no  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »
Been a good year for death metal so far, right? This is the list of my fave death metal releases so far this year. I have checked out some more, which I’ve not ranked yet (such as the new Dying Fetus), but what am I missing?

1. Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
2. Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
3. Sarmat - Determined to Strike
4. Fleshvessel - Yearning: Promethean Fates Sealed
5. Ulthar - Anthronomicon/Helionomicon
6. Nothingness - Supraliminal
7. Contrarian - Sage of Shekhinah
8. Entheos - Time Will Take Us All
9. Tentacult - Lacerating Pattern
10. Astriferous - Pulsations from the Black Orb
11. Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility
12. Obituary - Dying of Everything

Also, I think the new Tomb Mold is out Friday, and new Suffocation soon.