Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 72602 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Death Metal
« Reply #560 on: May 30, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »
I used to listen to Nile all the time. I was a huge fan from Black Seed of Vengeance up until Those Whom the Gods Detest but I haven't listened to them for a long time now. My memory is that each album just kept getting better up until Ithyphallic, which I thought was disappointing but then Those Whom the Gods Detest knocked it out of the park. They are definitely extreme but there is also some truly incredible musicianship on those albums. If death metal is your thing and you haven't heard them, well worth checking out.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #561 on: May 30, 2022, 08:56:23 PM »
Jeez, this title track is incredible.

"Cast Down the Heretic" and "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" are probably my favorites on it.  Earlier on I was listening to a truckload of melodic death metal, but just couldn't really get into more pure death metal.  That album coming out was one of the ones that helped it click. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: May 30, 2022, 09:02:28 PM »
I'll go back to that one.  Have Sethu in the car right now and I'm loving this one.......a lot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #563 on: May 31, 2022, 12:09:41 PM »
Good to see Nile are getting some love. I'm trying to broaden the spectrum of death metal that I am listening to, as I have certain bands that are my faves. It'd be easy to just stay safe within those bands.

Nile are definitely one of those bands, mainly because they dabble with more progressive metal, and I dig the Egyptian theme. They are pretty much straight up brutal death metal, but progressive Egyptian vibes set them apart from the rest.

I've been going through some of The Black Dahlia Murder's albums today, following the death of their vocalist recently. Can't say I'm super into them but they ain't bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: May 31, 2022, 04:06:45 PM »
Nile are brutal, but yes they have enough interesting things going on that mix well with the heaviness and keep my interest.  They aren't monotonous like a lot of your standard brutal death metal bands, really talented guys.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »
Nile are brutal, but yes they have enough interesting things going on that mix well with the heaviness and keep my interest.  They aren't monotonous like a lot of your standard brutal death metal bands, really talented guys.

Saw them live years ago, they were great!!!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #566 on: May 31, 2022, 05:34:36 PM »
Well, since the thread is pretty active...I'm going to throw this in here:

One of my favorites death metal records in 2020...from Greece, not particularly brutal or original, but a great slab of Death-like (the band) death metal. Think mid-career Death. Tasty riffs and solos, very good production, just about the right length.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2022, 05:51:45 PM »

To be picky, while death metal itself is pretty "brutal" in a broad sense, there is actually a subgenre of it called "brutal death metal", pioneered by Suffocation, that has specific traits, like nearly inhumanly low guttural vocals, chug/slam riffs, and more than the usual amount of blast beats.  The only album that they really fit into the genre is on Black Seeds of Vengeance, everything else is primarily more Egyptian-themed technical death metal. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: May 31, 2022, 06:41:54 PM »

To be picky, while death metal itself is pretty "brutal" in a broad sense, there is actually a subgenre of it called "brutal death metal", pioneered by Suffocation, that has specific traits, like nearly inhumanly low guttural vocals, chug/slam riffs, and more than the usual amount of blast beats.  The only album that they really fit into the genre is on Black Seeds of Vengeance, everything else is primarily more Egyptian-themed technical death metal.

Thanks Litho, that makes sense.  I've always been picky about the heavier side but just getting into more of it now.  I've heard of Suffocation but never checked them out.  I think what I meant though is what you're alluding too in relation to Nile.  I'll slowly work my way through the rest of their albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #569 on: May 31, 2022, 07:32:18 PM »

Thanks Litho, that makes sense.  I've always been picky about the heavier side but just getting into more of it now.  I've heard of Suffocation but never checked them out.  I think what I meant though is what you're alluding too in relation to Nile.  I'll slowly work my way through the rest of their albums.

Lifelong Suffocation fan! Saw them live before Covid and they crushed! Super nice guys as well.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »
Well, since the thread is pretty active...I'm going to throw this in here:

One of my favorites death metal records in 2020...from Greece, not particularly brutal or original, but a great slab of Death-like (the band) death metal. Think mid-career Death. Tasty riffs and solos, very good production, just about the right length.

Queued this up now  :metal

Nice to see this thread getting a bit of traction. It's inspired me to jump back into my playlist of death metal albums to check out. Just finished listening to this...

Deicide - Insineratehymn

Next up (after Plague) is a Nile album...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: June 01, 2022, 03:32:30 PM »
 :metal

Had Annihilation of the Wicked in the car yesterday.  That fucking crushed, just beautiful.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #572 on: June 03, 2022, 08:38:13 AM »
Listening to the newest single from the Halo Effect this morning (All In Flames alumni) and it's pretty good. I am looking forward to the rest of the album, though with 4 singles already I'm hoping the rest isn't a letdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fEgBTTxkI

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #573 on: June 04, 2022, 11:57:00 AM »
Probably better for this thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=26645.0

I'd say it's the second best track released so far, if the whole thing is more like it and the previous one it should be a pretty decent album.  Ironically Arch Enemy has the exact same pattern, I liked singles #3 and #4 better than #1 and #2. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2022, 05:52:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: June 04, 2022, 05:53:58 PM »
Was out in the city yesterday and found a copy of Septicfleshs' new one Modern Primitive.  Also found their album Codex Omega at a bit of a discount too.  Nice, looking forward to diving in.

Picked up the Matt Heafey Ibaraki album too!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2022, 02:45:18 PM »
Was out in the city yesterday and found a copy of Septicfleshs' new one Modern Primitive.  Also found their album Codex Omega at a bit of a discount too.  Nice, looking forward to diving in.

Nice! Have you managed to check out Communion yet?

I still can't make my mind up about Ibaraki yet. I like the idea of a black metal album routed in Japanese culture. It also features Ihsahn and Gerrard Way, which I love, but it just seems to be falling short for me.

It doesn't particularly feel like a black metal album to me personally. It just feels like Trivium to me a lot of the time. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I think I just wanted something that sounded nothing like Trivium. I realise how stupid that sounds, as of course an Matt Heafy album is going to sound like Trivium to some degree  :lol  there you have it though.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #577 on: June 06, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »
Also because why not, top 10 death metal bands:

1. Death
2. Carcass
3. At the Gates
4. Cynic
5. Atheist
6. Bolt Thrower
7. Entombed
8. Nile
9. Obituary
10. Exist

Obviously I love the classics, the fathers of melodic death metal and any bands that are also on the progressive side.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:22 PM »

Nice! Have you managed to check out Communion yet?

I still can't make my mind up about Ibaraki yet. I like the idea of a black metal album routed in Japanese culture. It also features Ihsahn and Gerrard Way, which I love, but it just seems to be falling short for me.

It doesn't particularly feel like a black metal album to me personally. It just feels like Trivium to me a lot of the time. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I think I just wanted something that sounded nothing like Trivium. I realise how stupid that sounds, as of course an Matt Heafy album is going to sound like Trivium to some degree  :lol  there you have it though.

Haven't checked out Communion yet mate.  I'll make my way through these two first.  Modern Primitive was pretty good.  It fell short at the end but for the most part was very enjoyable.  Haven't spun the Ibaraki yet either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: June 07, 2022, 08:22:01 PM »

I ran through it yesterday.  I thought it was pretty shit to be honest.  Nothing grabbed me and a lot of what he's doing with his vocals sounds weak.  There's nothing black metal about this at all really.  I don't know, I'll come back to it, but yeah, I couldn't wait for it to finish on first listen.  I'm sure it will grow somewhat.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #580 on: June 07, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »

1. Death
2. Carcass
3. At the Gates
4. Cynic
5. Atheist
6. Bolt Thrower
7. Entombed
8. Nile
9. Obituary
10. Exist

Obviously I love the classics, the fathers of melodic death metal and any bands that are also on the progressive side.

No Morbid Angel?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2022, 11:34:43 PM »
:metal

Had Annihilation of the Wicked in the car yesterday.  That fucking crushed, just beautiful.
Easily my favorite Nile album. And they have a lot of good albums.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »

1. Death
2. Carcass
3. At the Gates
4. Cynic
5. Atheist
6. Bolt Thrower
7. Entombed
8. Nile
9. Obituary
10. Exist

No Morbid Angel?

I've only recently properly started really listening to Morbid Angel. I'd say they'd make my top 15.

It's actually surprising, as my older brother (by 8 years) who was the OG metal head in our family, and got me into metal, LOVED Morbid Angel. One of my early memories is staring at the Altars of Madness album cover and being kinda scared. He was big into death and thrash metal but I never got into death metal as much as he did. He was also big into Games Workshop/Warhammer, 2000 AD, any artwork by Simon Bisley. My early memories are playing on the Atari ST with him whilst in the background (unbeknownst to me) metal was being filtered into my being. It was all Slayer, Metallica, Obituary, Morbid Angel etc but I had no clue, I just wanted to play computer games and look at all the cool artwork that went along with his interests. He really shaped who I am as a person and my interests. Alternatively, our genetic makeup meant we were predestined to be into similar things. But I digress...

I like Morbid Angel

Offline The Realm

« Reply #583 on: June 08, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »

1. Death
2. Carcass
3. At the Gates
4. Cynic
5. Atheist
6. Bolt Thrower
7. Entombed
8. Nile
9. Obituary
10. Exist

No Morbid Angel?

I've only recently properly started really listening to Morbid Angel. I'd say they'd make my top 15.

It's actually surprising, as my older brother (by 8 years) who was the OG metal head in our family, and got me into metal, LOVED Morbid Angel. One of my early memories is staring at the Altars of Madness album cover and being kinda scared. He was big into death and thrash metal but I never got into death metal as much as he did. He was also big into Games Workshop/Warhammer, 2000 AD, any artwork by Simon Bisley. My early memories are playing on the Atari ST with him whilst in the background (unbeknownst to me) metal was being filtered into my being. It was all Slayer, Metallica, Obituary, Morbid Angel etc but I had no clue, I just wanted to play computer games and look at all the cool artwork that went along with his interests. He really shaped who I am as a person and my interests. Alternatively, our genetic makeup meant we were predestined to be into similar things. But I digress...

I like Morbid Angel

Nice one. I totally get what you mean about the Altars of Madness album cover. I'd probably say that Altars of Madness would be my number 1 death metal album. The first 4 Morbid Angel albums are a must listen if you are into death metal.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #584 on: June 09, 2022, 01:39:25 AM »

I ran through it yesterday.  I thought it was pretty shit to be honest.  Nothing grabbed me and a lot of what he's doing with his vocals sounds weak.  There's nothing black metal about this at all really.  I don't know, I'll come back to it, but yeah, I couldn't wait for it to finish on first listen.  I'm sure it will grow somewhat.

Dude, this is a safe space don't feel you have to hold back your true feelings on the record  :lol

I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm missing. I think Buddyhunter1 has said it might be his #1 album of the year, but I'm struggling to understand why.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: June 09, 2022, 04:53:59 AM »

Dude, this is a safe space don't feel you have to hold back your true feelings on the record  :lol

I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm missing. I think Buddyhunter1 has said it might be his #1 album of the year, but I'm struggling to understand why.

Sorry, I won't hold back next time.   :lol  I have a tendency to go a bit over the top if I think something is ordinary.

It's mainly because I discovered Trivium in 2005 when Ascendancy came out and it was one of the first bands that made me fall in love with harsh vocals.  I've enjoyed everything Trivium has done so I guess I had high expectations and it's a let down.  I will try again though.

I'd love to know Buddy's thoughts and maybe it can make me look at it differently or something.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #586 on: July 01, 2022, 03:29:41 AM »
Bloodbath are back from the dead with 'Zombie Inferno'
https://youtu.be/QlDMQZYNoFU

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: July 02, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
That's a killer song!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: July 06, 2022, 10:31:54 AM »
Fresh!!!
Revocation...

https://youtu.be/moN0-W8k_mg

Offline Glasser

« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2022, 11:22:28 AM »
Fresh!!!
Revocation...

LOVE Revocation!!! Saw them live and was completely blown away!!!!  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »
Fresh!!!
Revocation...

Looks like new album incoming, but I don't think they've given a date yet  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2022, 12:18:59 PM »
Fresh!!!
Revocation...

Looks like new album incoming, but I don't think they've given a date yet  :metal

First week of September!!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »
Just heard a few new PSYCROPTIC tunes! Kicks ass!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #593 on: July 09, 2022, 12:36:52 AM »

Excellent. Love the fun aspect of this. And that lead after the intro was brilliant.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #594 on: July 09, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »
They're still one of the better throwback death bands, but I'm not nearly as much of a fan of Holmes as a vocalist as I am of Akerfeldt and Tagtgren.