Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 71386 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Death Metal
« Reply #525 on: December 24, 2021, 08:55:33 PM »
What? No! It was at the youngling over there.  :rollin

Haha!!! Happy Holidays my friend!  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #526 on: December 24, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
Just leaving this as an example of the general attitude towards music genres at that time.

This a college humor sketch from 1980…and while I’m not saying they were “experts” at all, it still exists as a time capsule of what the general consensus was by most teens/20s people living at that time.

And it’s freaking hilarious.  :rollin :rollin

Us old timers remember this sketch from the Dr Demento show.

https://youtu.be/vv3rtJwffQI
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #527 on: December 24, 2021, 10:31:52 PM »
Just leaving this as an example of the general attitude towards music genres at that time.

This a college humor sketch from 1980…and while I’m not saying they were “experts” at all, it still exists as a time capsule of what the general consensus was by most teens/20s people living at that time.

And it’s freaking hilarious.  :rollin :rollin

Us old timers remember this sketch from the Dr Demento show.

https://youtu.be/vv3rtJwffQI

Time travel complete!!!! the Nugent call.... Take an Ambulance!!!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #528 on: December 27, 2021, 07:36:59 AM »
jammindude is definitely right about "heavy metal" being much more broadly applied back in the 70s/80s.  Journalists/fans like Martin Popoff who were around then will still refer to some of those harder rock bands as "metal" at times.  They had a bit of a discussion about this in a recent Sea of Tranquility show as well.  The broad strokes did clean up a fair amount as the major metal subgenres proliferated and were set by the mid-late 90s, but to this day there's all kinds of squabbling about the borders of each subgenre.  I dare you to get 100 metalheads together and get a clear and consistent definition and application of "gothic metal", for example.  There is still a sizeable percentage of metal fans that considers Venom, Hellhammer, Bathory and such to be "first wave black metal". 

Which brings up my own subgenre nitpick.  Why was Arch Enemy posted a bit earlier in this thread when we already have a separate melodic death metal thread on the front page as well?   :police:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 07:49:22 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #529 on: December 27, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
Thank you  :rollin :rollin :rollin

And also, I believe the reason why you get those people who called those bands “first wave black metal” is because there was no one like Mayhem to compare them to. Mayhem didn’t exist. Venom was literally the most extreme, over the top, overtly satanic band in history, and they had just labeled themselves “black metal” with absolutely nothing in existence that was comparable. (Even Bathory and Hellhammer’s lyrics (and granted I haven’t heard them in over 30 years, so I might be misremembering a bit) were more occult and ritualesque than the more overt and almost comically over the top Venom lyrics).

So with nothing else in existence yet…that’s what they were. I’m not even making the argument over whether or not the goal posts should be moved. I’m not going to say that either side is right or wrong. Are they “first wave black metal” or just “thrash”? I can’t say.  But I think the strong argument for “first wave black metal” comes from what those bands factually WERE until bands like Mayhem came along. After that, terminologies started to shift.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #530 on: December 27, 2021, 01:23:30 PM »
Thank you  :rollin :rollin :rollin

And also, I believe the reason why you get those people who called those bands “first wave black metal” is because there was no one like Mayhem to compare them to. Mayhem didn’t exist. Venom was literally the most extreme, over the top, overtly satanic band in history, and they had just labeled themselves “black metal” with absolutely nothing in existence that was comparable. (Even Bathory and Hellhammer’s lyrics (and granted I haven’t heard them in over 30 years, so I might be misremembering a bit) were more occult and ritualesque than the more overt and almost comically over the top Venom lyrics).

So with nothing else in existence yet…that’s what they were. I’m not even making the argument over whether or not the goal posts should be moved. I’m not going to say that either side is right or wrong. Are they “first wave black metal” or just “thrash”? I can’t say.  But I think the strong argument for “first wave black metal” comes from what those bands factually WERE until bands like Mayhem came along. After that, terminologies started to shift.

Wanna laugh? I remastered Venom At War With Satan a while back, I absolutely love it! There's something outstanding about it!!!! RIP RIDE!!!!!!!!!   :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #531 on: December 27, 2021, 01:33:01 PM »
Believing what I believe today (and we’d have to go P/R for that) I just can’t even tolerate listening to it anymore.

In my late teens and early 20s I was just drawn to the most shocking and offensive things that I could possibly find in entertainment and music. (I was HUGE into The Mentors as well…boy that humor didn’t age well) But in retrospect, all of these things just violate so many principles that I hold dear that I’ve just left it all behind a long time ago.

I still listen to some fairly heavy stuff. I stopped listening to most extreme metal for the better part of a couple of decades just because I could so rarely find people that were singing about things I could relate to or wasn’t repulsed by. The band that brought me back a bit was BTBAM because they mostly either focused on social issues, or more recently, themes of an almost sci-fi nature.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #532 on: December 27, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »
Believing what I believe today (and we’d have to go P/R for that) I just can’t even tolerate listening to it anymore.

In my late teens and early 20s I was just drawn to the most shocking and offensive things that I could possibly find in entertainment and music. (I was HUGE into The Mentors as well…boy that humor didn’t age well) But in retrospect, all of these things just violate so many principles that I hold dear that I’ve just left it all behind a long time ago.

I still listen to some fairly heavy stuff. I stopped listening to most extreme metal for the better part of a couple of decades just because I could so rarely find people that were singing about things I could relate to or wasn’t repulsed by. The band that brought me back a bit was BTBAM because they mostly either focused on social issues, or more recently, themes of an almost sci-fi nature.

The Mentors? Wow! The Four F Club was a "classic". Some of the early shock stuff stuck with me but most did not. I don't take stuff seriously or personally. I like Decide but I'm far from a Satanist. Its entertainment to me like watching a horror or slasher movie. My taste is extremely diverse.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #533 on: December 27, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
Which brings up my own subgenre nitpick.  Why was Arch Enemy posted a bit earlier in this thread when we already have a separate melodic death metal thread on the front page as well?   :police:

Guilty as charged sir, what be my punishment?
'Shot or the Russian front'
As the charge is so severe, perhaps both?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: December 28, 2021, 02:12:41 AM »

I find in regards to lyrics that there's a few melodic death metal bands that have amazing lyrics that can really enhance the music.  Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum instantly spring to mind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #535 on: February 06, 2022, 07:30:30 AM »

Anyone checked out the new Venom Prison?

Fuck it's good! Serious album of the year contender, early on.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #536 on: February 25, 2022, 01:30:54 PM »
Decapitated, is such a freakin solid band. Vogg is a riffmaster.

DECAPITATED - 25 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TOUR WARM UP REHEARSAL - MOTHER WAR
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Glasser

« Reply #537 on: February 25, 2022, 03:04:23 PM »

Decapitated is terribly underrated. Excellent band! Another underrated band is Brain Drill, brilliant tech death!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: March 11, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »

Decapitated is terribly underrated. Excellent band! Another underrated band is Brain Drill, brilliant tech death!
I will check them out.  :tup

Vogg and James are a force together. Such a tight rythm section.

TOUR WARM UP REHEARSAL - NINE STEPS

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Glasser

« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2022, 02:43:14 PM »
Just heard new: DEATHFUCKINGCUNT and Dischordia. Both excellent tech death albums!!!!!

Offline Vordus

« Reply #540 on: May 25, 2022, 04:06:04 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: May 25, 2022, 04:06:36 PM »
Just heard new: DEATHFUCKINGCUNT and Dischordia. Both excellent tech death albums!!!!!

:lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #542 on: May 26, 2022, 12:16:25 AM »
I agree about Decapitated being underrated. I’m familiar with and like their album Organic Hallucinosis, but I’m actually way more into their modern material. Anticult is an excellent album to work out to, and tomorrow their new album drops. The singles so far have been superb.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #543 on: May 26, 2022, 01:50:41 AM »

Well there goes another band I can't talk about in front of my Mum  :\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: May 26, 2022, 07:02:06 PM »
Anyone know Septicflesh?  A couple of their new tunes came up in my YouTube feed and checked them out.  Really good stuff.  Lots of old Morbid Angel influence, I might pick up their new album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #545 on: May 26, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »
Anyone know Septicflesh?  A couple of their new tunes came up in my YouTube feed and checked them out.  Really good stuff.  Lots of old Morbid Angel influence, I might pick up their new album.

I have their early albums somewhere - all the way back to the 90s - they were part of that wave of Greek extreme metal bands. Kind of a cool and peculiar sound. Then I lost track of them. I believe they had a gothic-metal phase in the early 2000s. I randomly picked up their 2014 release, Titan, which had lots of orchestral elements and was quite heavy. I haven't heard their last couple...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: May 26, 2022, 07:40:18 PM »
Interesting, I'll dig deeper.  A lot of orchestral in the new stuff but a nice mix.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #547 on: May 26, 2022, 11:51:49 PM »
Scepticflesh are great. I stumbled across Communion last year at some point, and it kicked my ass. I've slowly been working my way through their albums but nothing has been as good as Communion yet.

I was pretty underwhelmed by their new album, but I've only spun it once so far.

I love orchestral arrangements with metal, I mean S&M is my favourite live album of all time. Scepticflesh flesh did a great orchestral live album, called Infernus Sinfonica MMXIX. I highly recommend it.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2022, 12:01:26 AM »
Yeah Communion is the best I’ve heard from them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2022, 12:40:13 AM »
Sweet, I'll make sure I check out Communion.

Offline JLa

« Reply #550 on: May 27, 2022, 06:31:11 AM »
Re: Septic Flesh, also do yourself a favour and check out Sumerian Daemons. It's an older one, the orchestration isn't that prominent yet, but I love that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: May 30, 2022, 05:43:20 AM »
Pulled out the only Nile CD I own, Ithypallic today.  Never really listened to it as it was never really my thing but since I'm getting into heavier shit, I really liked this.  These guys are fabulous.  Definitely looking into more of their stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #552 on: May 30, 2022, 08:30:57 AM »
Holy shit, spin Annihilation of The Wicked now!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: May 30, 2022, 03:44:44 PM »
Holy shit, spin Annihilation of The Wicked now!

I thought I may have had this one but searching through my cd's I don't unfortunately.  I'll get onto it.  The other one I want to check is At the Gate of Sethu.  I liked what's going on with the vocals on a couple of the tracks I sampled.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 30, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »
Having a listen now, beautiful death metal.  Seems to be ore leads on this album than Ithypallic, which I like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #555 on: May 30, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »
I Saved Annihilation Of The Wicked on Spotify back in 2018. Haven't heard it in just as long.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: May 30, 2022, 04:25:43 PM »
Jeez, this title track is incredible.

I Saved Annihilation Of The Wicked on Spotify back in 2018. Haven't heard it in just as long.

I wouldn't have thought they would be your thing, but could be wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #557 on: May 30, 2022, 04:32:12 PM »
I'm not sure that they are. Usually I go through new albums, and if I like what I hear, I Save it. I actually may not have even fully checked it thoroughly. Gonna fix that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: May 30, 2022, 04:41:04 PM »
I'm not sure that they are. Usually I go through new albums, and if I like what I hear, I Save it. I actually may not have even fully checked it thoroughly. Gonna fix that!

They are pretty brutal and relentless.

I'm just leaning towards heavier and heavier stuff lately.  Must be my moods haha.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: May 30, 2022, 04:45:49 PM »
Maybe I'll hit it tonight instead. I must've thought it was interesting enough though.