Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 72645 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #490 on: September 19, 2020, 04:46:59 AM »
Once again I stumbled upon a band i've heard of but never listen to Equilibrium. Cool stuff, will check them out some more.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »
Once again I stumbled upon a band i've heard of but never listen to Equilibrium. Cool stuff, will check them out some more.

That's one that I've liked the little I've heard, but never got around to fully checking them out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2021, 10:34:02 PM »
Arch Enemy - House Of Mirrors
https://youtu.be/1DvDjeRs-_o
Pretty decent, they don't usually hold my attention but I managed to get through all of this one  :biggrin:

Offline Vordus

« Reply #493 on: December 10, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
Death metal solo project / rhythm guitarist: Haiduk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGVlm-yk2s

Offline Glasser

« Reply #494 on: December 10, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Whitechapel, Brain Drill, The Faceless, Death, Benighted, Prostitute Disfigurement, Obscura, Aborted, Gorod.....

Offline Corlis

« Reply #495 on: December 18, 2021, 04:49:21 PM »
Deicide are solid. I'm really digging "In the Minds of Evil" right now. There's just too many vocal lines covering up the great music with them.

Decapitated have put out some brilliant albums as they evolved from technical death metal to some kind of death/groove/ almost Slipknot style.
This song has insane riffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-SJSvEfnw

I really like speed and aggression over technicality, so more into death-thrash like old Sepultura, Vomitory, Carnal Forge, old Soilwork...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #496 on: December 18, 2021, 04:54:36 PM »
Deicide are solid. I'm really digging "In the Minds of Evil" right now. There's just too many vocal lines covering up the great music with them.

Decapitated have put out some brilliant albums as they evolved from technical death metal to some kind of death/groove/ almost Slipknot style.
This song has insane riffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-SJSvEfnw

I really like speed and aggression over technicality, so more into death-thrash like old Sepultura, Vomitory, Carnal Forge, old Soilwork...

I do love Sepultura before they went tribal. I love all Soilwork. The last death metal show I went to was Whitechapel! They were incredible!

Offline Corlis

« Reply #497 on: December 19, 2021, 11:59:45 AM »
I do love Sepultura before they went tribal. I love all Soilwork. The last death metal show I went to was Whitechapel! They were incredible!

I've only heard Whitechapel's cover of Pantera 'Strength Beyond Strength', which is great, but never their original stuff. Any albums you'd recommend?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #498 on: December 19, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »

I've only heard Whitechapel's cover of Pantera 'Strength Beyond Strength', which is great, but never their original stuff. Any albums you'd recommend?

"Our Endless War" or "Mark Of The Blade" would be a good start but they don't have any clunkers in their discog.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: December 19, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
There's a genre called death-thrash now?  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #500 on: December 19, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »
:)

?

Offline Corlis

« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2021, 06:07:56 PM »

?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: December 22, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »

?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #503 on: December 22, 2021, 11:06:36 PM »

?

Death Thrash? Maybe Dark Angel, Kreator, Destruction, …..

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #504 on: December 23, 2021, 02:43:27 AM »
In all honesty it's a bit blurry what's what these days. Alot of the bands mentioned are sailing between thrash and death metal.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2021, 07:12:15 AM »

Actually it's been around since the late 80s . . .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
The older I get, the more I find these labels hilarious. Especially when you watch them change completely over the course of 30-40 years.

Heavy metal becomes not heavy metal. Thrash metal becomes heavy metal. Black metal becomes thrash metal. etc etc
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »

Actually it's been around since the late 80s . . .

Well fuck me.  I goggled it and it came up.  You learn something new everyday.  :lol

Offline Corlis

« Reply #508 on: December 23, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »
The older I get, the more I find these labels hilarious. Especially when you watch them change completely over the course of 30-40 years.

They sound funny but it's important to classify different styles of metal as there are definitely "branches" and a ton of diversity within the genre.

"Brown dwarf" sounds funny as hell but it's an official astronomical classification specifically named that way to help organize those objects.

Heavy metal becomes not heavy metal. Thrash metal becomes heavy metal. Black metal becomes thrash metal. etc etc

Not true. Every legit metalhead who knows what the subgenres were 40 years ago will still tell you, while a few things have evolved, very little has changed in the main characteristics of each subgenre.; thrash is still thrash, black is black, etc...

The confusion stems from the fact that, IMO, death metal EVOLVED from thrash, so early death metal is hard to distinguish from heavy/extreme thrash.

Death-thrash is my favorite style because it has characteristics of both. Old Sepultura is classic example of death thrash. A modern example would be a band like Dew-Scented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNKInvNeN4

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #509 on: December 23, 2021, 03:28:07 PM »
I've been really enamored with Portal lately. They have an amazing discography and each album has its own character. Super glad to have finally checked them out.

Wonder if they played material from Ion in 2018's Dark MOFO fest in Hobart, can't find info on their setlist there anywhere.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #510 on: December 23, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »

They sound funny but it's important to classify different styles of metal as there are definitely "branches" and a ton of diversity within the genre.

"Brown dwarf" sounds funny as hell but it's an official astronomical classification specifically named that way to help organize those objects.

Not true. Every legit metalhead who knows what the subgenres were 40 years ago will still tell you, while a few things have evolved, very little has changed in the main characteristics of each subgenre.; thrash is still thrash, black is black, etc...

The confusion stems from the fact that, IMO, death metal EVOLVED from thrash, so early death metal is hard to distinguish from heavy/extreme thrash.

Death-thrash is my favorite style because it has characteristics of both. Old Sepultura is classic example of death thrash. A modern example would be a band like Dew-Scented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNKInvNeN4

Serious question. If you walked into a record store in 1978, and went to the “heavy metal” section. What do you think was in that section? Just a single pocket with just Judas Priest and Black Sabbath?

When Venom first released Black Metal, and before anything else happened…do you think that was considered “black metal”?

Offline Corlis

« Reply #511 on: December 23, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »

Serious question. If you walked into a record store in 1978, and went to the “heavy metal” section. What do you think was in that section? Just a single pocket with just Judas Priest and Black Sabbath?

There wouldn't be a metal section. Metal wasn't fully matured or defined yet in 1978. By the early 80s bands like Iron Maiden were different enough from Rock to establish a separate genre. And Metallica was different enough from Iron Maiden to be sub categorized as thrash.

40 years later, today, bands labelled 'heavy metal' sound like classic Maiden. And bands labelled 'thrash' sound more like Metallica's Kill Em All.

The subgenres have not changed, some just took a few years to differentiate themselves enough for a new category to be needed. People who don't listen to much metal are often guilty of lumping & confusing the subgenres.

When Venom first released Black Metal, and before anything else happened…do you think that was considered “black metal”?

That album title confuses people. Venom's musical style wasn't considered black metal when that album came out and no one considers that album black metal today, or ever did, because it's not black metal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: December 23, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »
Yeah, its like when early Mercyful Fate was classed as black metal!?  I get the influence Kim had but that was always a little funny I thought.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #513 on: December 23, 2021, 06:31:28 PM »
Ya…you’re probably right. I must have been imagining my hours in record stores as a kid.

Huh, weird. My whole childhood is a complete made up fantasy.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #514 on: December 23, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
Corlis, I’m imagining that you’re not very old, so I’ll just tell you straight up as someone who was there….in record stores in the late 70s and very early 80s.

Most record stores DID have a heavy metal section. At that time, the things you would find in the section clearly labeled “heavy metal” were bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent and other things like that that today would be considered “rock n roll” or possibly “hard rock” at best.

But it did exist. People just move the goal posts as bands got heavier. Thus…my original point.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #515 on: December 23, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »

But it did exist. People just move the goal posts as bands got heavier. Thus…my original point.

I remember very well. And yes they did move the gauge as bands got heavier. Slayer and Maiden were in the same section in the early 80's.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #516 on: December 23, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »

I remember very well. And yes they did move the gauge as bands got heavier. Slayer and Maiden were in the same section in the early 80's.

True. When those bands first came out, they were so extreme that no one else knew where to put them yet. The “big four” were being labeled thrash metal from the start, but “thrash” was just a niche audience not big enough for its own section yet, so….into the existing heavy metal section along side the aforementioned 70s hard rock giants. (Which again, were being called heavy metal back then)

Offline Corlis

« Reply #517 on: December 24, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Corlis, I’m imagining that you’re not very old, so I’ll just tell you straight up as someone who was there….in record stores in the late 70s and very early 80s.

Most record stores DID have a heavy metal section. At that time, the things you would find in the section clearly labeled “heavy metal” were bands like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent and other things like that that today would be considered “rock n roll” or possibly “hard rock” at best.

I addressed this exact thing if you'd care to read my previous post. You keep using the 70's and 80's to talk about metal subgenres when metal itself wasn't yet established yet. Try using the last 30 years and you'll see not much changed.

The goal posts never moved as much as you claim, if at all. ("Black metal becomes thrash metal" etc.. - based on your Venom comment this belief stems from your confusion based on the album title 'black metal').

Offline jammindude

« Reply #518 on: December 24, 2021, 03:09:14 PM »
Oh brother.

More and more I’m seeing what happens (not just in music, but seemingly in everything) when people think they know more about the way things happened in the past than the people who actually lived through it.

Oh well.

Offline Corlis

« Reply #519 on: December 24, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »
Oh brother.

More and more I’m seeing what happens (not just in music, but seemingly in everything) when people think they know more about the way things happened in the past than the people who actually lived through it.

Oh well.

I'm seeing people who think they know more about subgenres of metal than the people who actually listen to those subgenres.

I lived through the last 30 years of thrash and it hasn't changed.

I lived through the last 25 years of death metal and it hasn't changed.

Sure, back when metal was a brand new thing and still branching out from hard rock, I don't doubt that the genres were fluid and loosely defined. But shortly after that, once each subgenre developed, it mostly stopped changing.

You sound like someone who never actually got into thrash, death, black, etc... enough to A) truly understand the differences between them and B) that the characteristics of each have remained unchanged for ~30 years.

Merry christmas.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #520 on: December 24, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »
Oh brother.

Oh well.

I'm seeing people who think they know more about subgenres of metal than the people who actually listen to those subgenres.

I lived through the last 30 years of thrash and it hasn't changed.

I lived through the last 25 years of death metal and it hasn't changed.

Sure, back when metal was a brand new thing and still branching out from hard rock, I don't doubt that the genres were fluid and loosely defined. But shortly after that, once each subgenre developed, it mostly stopped changing.

You sound like someone who never actually got into thrash, death, black, etc... enough to A) truly understand the differences between them and B) that the characteristics of each have remained unchanged for ~30 years.

Merry christmas.

I'm an older dude that grew up listening to Bathory, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Sodom, Morgoth, Obituary, Cancer, Revenant, Mayhem etc.... I don't recall many debates on sub genres back then. Now we just refer to these bands as old school. Today we have Slam, deathcore, metal core etc.... It definitely evolved but unless someone  really loves these styles its tough to decipher the differences. I did a lot of tape trading in the 80's. Good times!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #521 on: December 24, 2021, 07:10:25 PM »
Owned almost everything from Metal Blade, Combat, Megaforce etc etc etc first edition when it was all brand new.

Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Nuclear Assault, Overkill,

Omg…I cannot even believe I’m having this conversation.  ::)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #522 on: December 24, 2021, 07:20:34 PM »
Look, I am going to take a step back and apologize if I sound condescending. But it really does irritate me when somebody treats me like I don’t know what I’m talking about when I have absolutely been there, lived through it, bought the T-shirt, you name it.

I was buying this stuff and trading the tapes most likely before you were even born. I’ve most likely lost or had stolen more old school death, thrash, etc than you’ve ever owned. So don’t act like you know what you’re talking about because you read it in a book once

Offline Glasser

« Reply #523 on: December 24, 2021, 07:40:57 PM »
Look, I am going to take a step back and apologize if I sound condescending. But it really does irritate me when somebody treats me like I don’t know what I’m talking about when I have absolutely been there, lived through it, bought the T-shirt, you name it.

I was buying this stuff and trading the tapes most likely before you were even born. I’ve most likely lost or had stolen more old school death, thrash, etc than you’ve ever owned. So don’t act like you know what you’re talking about because you read it in a book once

I hope this is not directed at me? That's the last thing I want is to irritate you my friend. I consider you a friend here and in the know.  :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #524 on: December 24, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
What? No! It was at the youngling over there.  :rollin