Author Topic: Death Metal  (Read 71401 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Death Metal
« Reply #420 on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
Here's some music from my band Sinful Carrion, from 2010 EP, enjoy  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_7T2IVJok&feature=share&list=PLtMO7gUboRWEJc-SdkdDLdP7Fv8UaOQeJ

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
I've been listening to Solefald and they are one of the most insane and bizarre bands I have ever heard.
Some of it it is pretty tough to even take.

Offline adace

« Reply #422 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #423 on: December 13, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
Awesome killer tune from Carcass.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #424 on: December 14, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
Does anyone have any death metal without blast beats? The only death metal bands I like are Death, Atheist, Cynic, and Gorguts. I wish there were more accessibly DM bands out there. I can't stand bands that ONLY use blast beats.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #425 on: December 14, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
Have you tried Edge Of Sanity? I've only heard Crimson I & II, but they're quite amazing, and don't rely heavily on blast beats, if at all.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »
I'm yo guy.

Rivers of Nihil
Cephalic Carnage
The Black Dahlia Murder
Carcass
Chthonic
Daylight Dies
The Faceless
Sophicide
Behemoth

There's a few for you.  :tup
Now you'll hear some blast beating, but it's used only when needed. I actually like blast beating, but a lot of bands over use and over rely on it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:27:15 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline JLa

« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2013, 03:01:33 AM »
Anyone into Septic Flesh (or Septicflesh, for their newer releases)? Their album "Sumerian Daemons" is one of my all time favourites. Listen to the tracks "Virtues of the Beast" and "When All Is None".  :metal

Also, the album "Of Breath and Bone" by Be'lakor is amazing melodic death metal, well worth a listen.

Offline adace

« Reply #428 on: December 17, 2013, 03:13:13 AM »
Anyone into Septic Flesh (or Septicflesh, for their newer releases)? Their album "Sumerian Daemons" is one of my all time favourites. Listen to the tracks "Virtues of the Beast" and "When All Is None".  :metal

Also, the album "Of Breath and Bone" by Be'lakor is amazing melodic death metal, well worth a listen.
I've only heard The Great Mass and Communion and I think they're fantastic albums. No other symphonic death metal I've comes close to them. Plus the vocalist's growls are just top notch. :hefdaddy

As for Be'lakor, I remember listening to one of their albums (might have been that one) a long while ago and I liked it. I'll have to go revisit it at some point.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #429 on: December 17, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
So I don't know too much about Death Metal. I have a more stereotypical view of what Death Metal is then you guys, I'm sure. I love really heavy music, Nevermore for example I'v been listening to a lot more recently, which has led me to wanting to buy a Soilwork CD. But I like Nevermore cuz it's very very heavy; they play shows with Death metal like bands and other metal bands with growling. Loomis i heard is inspired by some bands like that. Like Meshuggah, he's influenced by them. Is Meshuggah death metal? Because most heavy metal with growling vocals immediatly springs to mind the term Death Metal.

Are there any death metal bands without growling vocals?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Honestly, I've never thought of Meshuggah as a death metal band. I'm not entirely sure what to call them, actually.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #431 on: December 17, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
I don't think that you can actually be a death metal band without the growls.
Part of the 'death' genre is the vocals, if not all of the style and sound.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #432 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Yeah, I'd say anything classified as "death metal" would have to have growls. Of course, there are melodic death metal bands who have both clean and harsh vocals, if you're not totally into growls. (NotePad, I mean)

Offline NotePad

« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2013, 02:12:18 AM »
I said something about Nevermore earlier. I just wanna add that with a lot of their songs, if a growling vocalist was on them instead, they would be Death Metal.... did i already say this? oh well.

But of course, you can say that about all their songs. But some ;p

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #434 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »
You could same the same thing about numerous bands, add the growls and it instantly becomes death metal.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2013, 02:43:51 AM »
The thing is, Death Metal has a distinct musical sound. I can spot a Death Metal song before the vocals come on, and it's still Death Metal, right?

So maybe the question should be, are there any Death Metal bands that are all instrumental?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline NotePad

« Reply #436 on: December 18, 2013, 03:14:12 AM »
I don't know..

It's not just Death metal. And it not JUST growling. There are all sorts of bands, often in some genre like whatever-'core' too, where there is screaming, growling, whatever. There are lots of songs i'v heard that start off sounding like great metal, then the vocals come in and....yea.

I guess i'm just not into 'extreme' metal like that. But something like Catch 33 by Meshuggah i like, where it's a death metal-type band doing something different and unique with an overall concept providing a unique experience that takes you on a journey you can't really explain. There's another band, I believe it's Isis.....yea, Isis, that does stuff like that. Less heavy guitars obviously, but growling vocals that work. I heard a bit of the band Palms, now that is bring two really fuckin great things together. I should like it if i ever get to buy it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #437 on: December 18, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
Old school traditional death metal does have a distinct sound.
But you can take any kind of metal, add growls and it's death metal.
Take Amon Amarth for example, music is pretty much traditional/power metal, add the growls and it's classed as death.

« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2013, 03:27:49 AM »
But you can take any kind of metal, add growls and it's death metal.

But Death Metal itself can have its own subgenres. I mean, Melodic Death Metal is already an established genre. A band like Epica, I'd easily call Symphonic Death Metal or Progressive Death Metal.
There isn't a name for it that I know of, but obviously JLB's past 2 albums, with Peter Wildoer doing the growls and screams are a lot more than just straight up "Death Metal", although yes, the growls do push it into that general category.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:04 AM »
Yes of course you can throw in all sorts to the equation, and it comes out something death metal.
As for Epica, I have never thought of them as anything death at all.

« Reply #440 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
Yes of course you can throw in all sorts to the equation, and it comes out something death metal.

Well, in that case, the growling vocals don't always turn something into Death metal.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #441 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »
I propose a definition. Not everything that has growling vocals is death metal, but all death metal has growling vocals.

« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
I propose a definition. Not everything that has growling vocals is death metal, but all death metal has growling vocals.

But like I said, what if a Death Metal band is instrumental? Seriously, is there absolutely no instrumental Death Metal band out there? Anyone?

EDIT: Or, you know, Google...
Sleep Terror is an example.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
Blotted Science is instrumental death metal at its finest.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »

Well, in that case, the growling vocals don't always turn something into Death metal.

Not when they are the second vocalist, adding a line here and there.
It used to be referred to as 'beauty and the beast', for obvious reasons!

Leave's Eyes are a fave band of mine, symphonic metal, but they have a grunter male vox , but I've never heard them being termed as any death.

« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
Not when they are the second vocalist, adding a line here and there.

Doesn't that describe JLB's past 2 albums as well?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
No idea I haven't heard them, I really can't stand his voice.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #447 on: December 21, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
Hey guys, really vague question here. Does anyone know of a jazz/death metal band that was incredibly jazzy, very progressive, and only mildly death metal? I heard a few songs of this band on YT a few months ago, and loved them. But now I can't remember the name. I think their album cover was white with some dark green flowery patterns.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #448 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
Just a random question for you all, but I feel like it's a legitimate one.

My girlfriend claims she can understand the lyrics to a death metal song upon first listen, without any trouble. Im not sure if I believe her, tbh, but maybe its possible. She spent pretty much her entire life listening to deathcore and death metal so she very well may have developed a knack for that.

Is that actually more common than I realize? I mean, I love death metal as well, but I cant understand most of the lyrics at all. Some bands are easier to distinguish the lyrics with, such as Scar Symmetry and Opeth, but alot of bands I have to look up the lyrics because I cant make out a damn word. Is it easy for anyone here to understand what the vocalist is saying, or do you have to actually look up the words as well?

Hey guys, really vague question here. Does anyone know of a jazz/death metal band that was incredibly jazzy, very progressive, and only mildly death metal? I heard a few songs of this band on YT a few months ago, and loved them. But now I can't remember the name. I think their album cover was white with some dark green flowery patterns.

was it, like, one of those deathcore/djent bands that put their 18 minute EPs on YouTube? Because eventually just clicking through related videos on those can lead to whatever your looking for, if thats the case.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
I almost never know what they're saying. Although, I generally don't care about lyrics, so even if they're singing clean I probably don't know what they're saying. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
Just a random question for you all, but I feel like it's a legitimate one.

My girlfriend claims she can understand the lyrics to a death metal song upon first listen, without any trouble. Im not sure if I believe her, tbh, but maybe its possible. She spent pretty much her entire life listening to deathcore and death metal so she very well may have developed a knack for that.

Is that actually more common than I realize? I mean, I love death metal as well, but I cant understand most of the lyrics at all. Some bands are easier to distinguish the lyrics with, such as Scar Symmetry and Opeth, but alot of bands I have to look up the lyrics because I cant make out a damn word. Is it easy for anyone here to understand what the vocalist is saying, or do you have to actually look up the words as well?

was it, like, one of those deathcore/djent bands that put their 18 minute EPs on YouTube? Because eventually just clicking through related videos on those can lead to whatever your looking for, if thats the case.

Depends on the type of vox I guess.  If it is stuff like deathcore and more gutteral vox, I call bullshit.  Just play her a song she has never heard and ask her to tell you the lyrics.  That will test her out.  :biggrin:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #451 on: January 04, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
Been listening to Isis lately. Apparently the vocalist doesn't even really try pronouncing the words, he just kind of goes with feeling and makes sounds a lot of the time.

But they do have lyrics. I came across some of them....and they were incredible. Really, really beautiful lyrics. Makes the songs so much more interesting know that such words are part of it.

Offline adace

« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Been listening to Isis lately. Apparently the vocalist doesn't even really try pronouncing the words, he just kind of goes with feeling and makes sounds a lot of the time.

But they do have lyrics. I came across some of them....and they were incredible. Really, really beautiful lyrics. Makes the songs so much more interesting know that such words are part of it.
Great post! Isis are amazing, one of my favorite bands. The only album of theirs I don't really care for is Celestial. The rest are golden though.

Offline NotePad

Re: Death Metalget
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »

Great post! Isis are amazing, one of my favorite bands. The only album of theirs I don't really care for is Celestial. The rest are golden though.

Yea I havn't listened to too much of their stuff yet. I'm really digging the album Wavering Radiant. Ghost Key is such a hypnotic and beautiful song. I love the sound of the beginning. And i love the way the bass guitar is incorporated into their music; same way i feel about Tool, whose bass player actually recorded some parts for Wavering Radiant. I think he was on Ghost Key actually. His style is pretty distinctive.

And their lyrics! So great! And althought i love these guys, i can't help but feel that their music could be better and taken to a whole new level with clean vocals, or at least cleaner vocals.

I know they split up. Have you heard of Palms? The Isis guys collaborated with Chino from Deftones and recorded an album under the name Palms. I'v yet to hear it, but get the impression that it has a similar direction to the music they made as Isis. I'm not sure if it is a real band or just a side project. But like i said, the only downside i find with Isis was the vocals, so Chino + Isis? I'm in. But I'm not expecting it to just be Isis style song just with Chino singing. I'm assuming the disbanded Isis for other different musical endeavors.

Offline adace

Re: Death Metalget
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »

Yea I havn't listened to too much of their stuff yet. I'm really digging the album Wavering Radiant. Ghost Key is such a hypnotic and beautiful song. I love the sound of the beginning. And i love the way the bass guitar is incorporated into their music; same way i feel about Tool, whose bass player actually recorded some parts for Wavering Radiant. I think he was on Ghost Key actually. His style is pretty distinctive.

And their lyrics! So great! And althought i love these guys, i can't help but feel that their music could be better and taken to a whole new level with clean vocals, or at least cleaner vocals.

I know they split up. Have you heard of Palms? The Isis guys collaborated with Chino from Deftones and recorded an album under the name Palms. I'v yet to hear it, but get the impression that it has a similar direction to the music they made as Isis. I'm not sure if it is a real band or just a side project. But like i said, the only downside i find with Isis was the vocals, so Chino + Isis? I'm in. But I'm not expecting it to just be Isis style song just with Chino singing. I'm assuming the disbanded Isis for other different musical endeavors.
Yeah, I listened to the Palms record a few times and thought it was pretty solid, just not as solid as my favorite Isis albums or the last Deftones album for that matter. I remember "Future Warrior" and "Patagonia" were my favorite tracks off of it though so I definitely recommend you give those ones a listen, if not the whole album.