Author Topic: Wall Street Protests  (Read 73563 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Wall Street Protests
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »
thank goodness someone on dtf started to pay attention to this, i was starting to think there was a dtf media blackout

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
That's outrageous and condescending. These people are mad that the government is spending trillions bailing out banks. Personally insult the protesters if you want, but that doesn't invalidate the problem being pointed out.

This.  Maybe they aren't personally affected by the problem, but at least someone is saying something.

Also new food for y'alls: https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/can-you-hear-them-now-3/
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
That's outrageous and condescending. These people are mad that the government is spending trillions bailing out banks. Personally insult the protesters if you want, but that doesn't invalidate the problem being pointed out.

I'm more inclined to agree with orcus on this one, at least for the tone of that article.  You can't read it and tell me the person who wrote it is intelligent and mature. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

But what's their message? The financial state of our country is terrible and plenty of people on Wall Street probably contributed to it? Wow, what shocking new information! Like I said before the whole timing of this thing is silly since they waited, what, three entire years to gather enough bored college dropouts with no summer jobs to stand around and pretend they're gonna make a difference. The whole problem with their protest is there's nothing at stake, no changes to be made. They're not making a stand against anything that hasn't already been said or is common knowledge. They're seriously just parading around like a bunch of idiots while the world keeps spinning, completely unchanged.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
There's no point of even having this discussion if you're just going to pretend to know everything about the protesters and sling accusations from on high.

Offline ehra

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
They're not making a stand against anything that hasn't already been said or is common knowledge. They're seriously just parading around like a bunch of idiots while the world keeps spinning, completely unchanged.

Yeah, and bitching about the state of the world on online forums while sitting at home on our asses does a whole lot to change things. I wish more people would get up and do something about what's pissing them off, even if it is "meaningless." Maybe if americans actually cared enough to get out of their house for a cause instead of complaining under their breath we wouldn't be in this situation.

But screw that, we should all just act like good apathetic wastes and keep our mouths shut before we inconvenience someone else from their regular day of not giving a damn about anything.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
They're not making a stand against anything that hasn't already been said or is common knowledge. They're seriously just parading around like a bunch of idiots while the world keeps spinning, completely unchanged.

Yeah, and bitching about the state of the world on online forums while sitting at home on our asses does a whole lot to change things. I wish more people would get up and do something about what's pissing them off, even if it is "meaningless." Maybe if americans actually cared enough to get out of their house for a cause instead of complaining under their breath we wouldn't be in this situation.

But screw that, we should all just act like good apathetic wastes and keep our mouths shut before we inconvenience someone else from their regular day of not giving a damn about anything.

Right, that was my point actually.  Say what you want about them but at least they're being politically active.  We should only be so lucky to have a large politically active youth in its early voting years.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
There's no point of even having this discussion if you're just going to pretend to know everything about the protesters and sling accusations from on high.

Probably because we're smart enough to realize that after venting briefly online there's a whole lot more pressing personal matters to deal with so we go outside in the real world and take care of those instead.

Offline ehra

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
So your argument is that they should just mind their own business. Well done.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
Where the hell did you get that from?

Well answer me this: what, in your mind, are they accomplishing by standing around holding signs? What realistic end result do you see coming from this?

Offline ehra

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
I don't know, the post where you said that smart people realize that taking care of personal matters is more important than trying to incite change in the country?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
Orcus, if you have things going on in your personal life that are more important than protesting in favor of economic justice, cool. So do most of us, which is why we're where we are and not there. The problem I have with your post isn't that you don't want to take part, it's that you seem to be insinuating that people who do are just drop-outs without lives of their own. That's not true at all, nor is it fair. And even if they were, what they are doing would be no less valid.

That fact you keep insisting that people at the protest are unemployed lowlifes is just kinda shocking, considering not only did our own antigoon already go there but someone else posted a picture of all those pilots who were there protesting too.

Offline j

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
I sort of get where orcus is coming from.  I don't think a whole lot of being "politically active" just for the sake of it, notably when it involves unproductive activities like this.  Not that posting on the internet, as someone brought up, is very productive, but at least there's some (ideally open-minded and reasonable) exchange of ideas.

What is the endgame of stuff like this?  What is it supposed to actually accomplish?  Plenty of attention has already been brought to these issues, and beyond that, I can only think that people participate in these things in order to feel like they are doing something or making some kind of difference. *shrug*

-J

Offline ehra

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
I sort of get where orcus is coming from.  I don't think a whole lot of being "politically active" just for the sake of it, notably when it involves unproductive activities like this.  Not that posting on the internet, as someone brought up, is very productive, but at least there's some (ideally open-minded and reasonable) exchange of ideas.

What is the endgame of stuff like this?  What is it supposed to actually accomplish?  Plenty of attention has already been brought to these issues, and beyond that, I can only think that people participate in these things in order to feel like they are doing something or making some kind of difference. *shrug*

-J

What's accomplished by "plenty of attention" being given to the issues if people then go back to not caring an hour later after the news is over or they forgot half of the article they just read? What alternative do you suggest to people who are upset and want to be heard? And why does something have to lead directly to change for it to matter or make any kind of difference?

And, really, you act like the "exchange of ideas" is any more productive than these protests, but what use do any of these discussions have if the only time we ever get involved in anything related to these topics is when we argue about it here? How is this any more "productive" or beneficial than what they're doing? You ask what the protests are supposed to accomplish as if not accomplishing anything makes it pointless, yet it's openly acknowledged that 99% of the discussions here won't change anyone's opinion on the topic.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
And what's wrong with that? The civil rights movement in the 60s exploded out of a few guys in the 50s sitting at a lunch table together to mix a segregated dining hall in Atlanta, Georgia. Big changes always come out of small ones.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
So these guys are protesting to undo the all the government spending that happened with the bailouts?  They're a few years late.  I still don't see how standing around wall street is going to change anything and find myself agreeing more with Orcus on this one.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
Also, if their problem is the bailouts, why protest on Wall Street? Washington would make more sense.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
I don't think the protest is just about bailouts. I've seen some protesters describe it as a protest for "economic justice", which makes a lot more sense. This has been a great 20 years for the wealthy, yet the minute the government wants to step in to try and make life better for normal people they throw up their hands screaming "class warfare" and act like they're being stolen from.

This is really a protest of the way wealthy people have been acting, imo. Yeah, other issues are mixed in. But ultimately, that's what it comes down to. People are tired of staying in the same place while the wealthy just keep getting richer and richer. So taking it to Wall Street fits.

You guys might not think it's accomplishing anything, but I think it's already drawn a lot of attention to the issue. Were/are the protestors as organized as they could be? No. But the fact people are willing to go to Wall Street to begin with and stay there for two weeks is a huge sign that awareness is going to raised and people are going to start looking into why this is happening.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »
I don't think the protest is just about bailouts. I've seen some protesters describe it as a protest for "economic justice", which makes a lot more sense. This has been a great 20 years for the wealthy, yet the minute the government wants to step in to try and make life better for normal people they throw up their hands screaming "class warfare" and act like they're being stolen from.

This is really a protest of the way wealthy people have been acting, imo. Yeah, other issues are mixed in. But ultimately, that's what it comes down to. People are tired of staying in the same place while the wealthy just keep getting richer and richer. So taking it to Wall Street fits.

You guys might not think it's accomplishing anything, but I think it's already drawn a lot of attention to the issue. Were/are the protestors as organized as they could be? No. But the fact people are willing to go to Wall Street to begin with and stay there for two weeks is a huge sign that awareness is going to raised and people are going to start looking into why this is happening.

It's great because I think this little point is the silver bullet in a complex array of problems we've faced the last few years, or even the last couple decades.  I'm not saying the wealthy are evil or inherently bad people or anything (I mean hell, I live pretty comfortably myself), but a little socio-political equality never hurt no one. A lack thereof as we've seen can hurt many people, and eventually it will undo everyone, no matter how invulnerable they consider themselves.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
The hippies are still protesting?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
Yes. Hippies are cool too.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »

Just wait. Once everyone loses their life savings in the next 12 months or so, the tea party will be out there too!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »
I just came into here to say that I agree with the reasons why the people are protesting and commend them for having the balls to go out there and do something.

Whether or not these protests develop into anything greater, I don't know, but they have the right idea, and don't get why such anger is being directed to the protesters; they seem to have their hearts in the right place. 

I mean, I'm more on the conservative side, in regards to social programs regarding welfare and such, but I'm definitely rooting against Wall Street.  I'm pretty sure the higher-ups of those businesses would still be able to dine on steak and lobster if they were only allotted half, a quarter, even an eighth of their current net worth, but no, they just HAVE to have more, don't they? 

I just hope, for the welfare of the protesters' sake that the police don't open fire on them, or anything, because, that could be the end of it, if it happens this early in the game. 

Offline PraXis

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

Just wait. Once everyone loses their life savings in the next 12 months or so, the tea party will be out there too!

Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

I bought a few more guns this month, plenty of ammo, and installed an advanced security system on my property. I'll wait it out.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
I thought people like you only existed in liberal America's nightmares.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »

Hence why he exists right now. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2011, 09:30:31 PM »
Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

You realize the Fed is one of the things being protested by a lot of people, right? I saw multiple "end the fed" signs out there. It's definitely part of the agenda.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

Was gonna say something like this but edited it for fear of the banhammer.  I'm glad someone did though. :tup

Offline PraXis

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Then they would be in front of the NY Federal Reserve building, not a bunch of hippies protesting the "evil" rich on Wall St (many of which, the headquarters aren't even in NYC). They're mostly leftists and/or anarchists who have mommy and daddy buy them Verizon or Apple toys while they are too lazy to get a job.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
A liberal nightmare: the fear that someone, somewhere, can help themselves.  :rollin

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I almost feel bad for thinking the things I do about people with your views, and then I read the things you post and it makes me feel better at night.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
A liberal nightmare: the fear that someone, somewhere, can help themselves.  :rollin

More like the fear that someone, somewhere in this supposedly Enlightened nation-state there is a self-proclaimed judge and jury ready to shoot on sight at anyone of his choosing.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
And the fear that the unbalance of wealth in the US will become so great that the middle class is effectively non-existent. 

Offline PraXis

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »

More like the fear that someone, somewhere in this supposedly Enlightened nation-state there is a self-proclaimed judge and jury ready to shoot on sight at anyone of his choosing.

Hearing shit like that makes me love my Second Amendment rights even more, especially because they will NEVER EVER be taken away.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
You're the dude that thinks global warming is a hoax, right?

lol