Author Topic: Wall Street Protests  (Read 73562 times)

Offline bss4life15

Re: Wall Street Protests
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Holy shit. I didn't see that edit.

Note: I am not a Republican. I am not religious and I love abortion (especially when the poor get them).

Praxis, you are without a doubt the worst poster on this forum in a long, long time. Epicview and tick may have ideas about politics that seem nutty to me most of the time, but at the end of the day they seem like a good guys with good hearts. You, on the other hand, are downright reprehensible. That abortion comment truly crosses the line, and deeply offends me. From reading your posts, I've now fully deducted that you are either the greedy, gun-touting, elitist John Galt worshiping idiot with an overweening sense of privilege that I thought only existed in the left's caricatures of the right, or you are just Disappear again returned to troll us via proxy for awhile.

I really hope, for humanities' sake, it's the latter. But unfortunately that's probably not the truth and the truth is you just are a really sad person.

If I were a mod, you'd have been banned long ago. But I'm not, so me saying all this will probably get me banned for overstepping what normal members are supposed to do. Well, fuck if I care. While I generally appreciate the freedom discussions on this side are generally given in terms of exchanging ideas about controversial subjects, I can honestly say that I don't want to post at a forum that allows downright hatred toward other groups of people to go unchecked for such a long time.

Praxis, do yourself a favor and step back and ask yourself whether anyone here actually appreciates you or values your contributions to this community. The answer is almost definitely "no." I may get banned for saying so, but if asking you to ask yourself that question encourages you to leave this forum I will have done more than my share of good for this place in the long run.

:slowclap:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Anyway. Local media seems to be paying more attention to OWS since last night, when the NYPD arrested ~700 people.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
Anyone here want to answer my question about the protests I asked some while back?

PraXis answered it; I'd love to see more than one person's answer.   

Anyway. Local media seems to be paying more attention to OWS since last night, when the NYPD arrested ~700 people.

That's good that coverage is being given to this, even if it is just the small media, so far. 

It's progress, at any rate.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
woah that praxis is delusional beyond human thought. seb i think the protests will cause more social unrest. what will i know i'm only australian.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
Shakeyboy, the protests will increase awareness and might get some people to jump on the backs of those at Wall Street, but they won't do much. However, I support them completely and would join them if I can.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
I choose not to predict the future.  These are turbulent times, and this could either lead to more of the same or something greater.

And high five, PC.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
I posted a warning, and I think you guys ninja'd it  :lol

praxis, KNOCK IT OFF! 

this is your first and last warning.  your comments were offensive and uncalled for

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
I posted a warning, and I think you guys ninja'd it  :lol

praxis, KNOCK IT OFF! 

this is your first and last warning.  your comments were offensive and uncalled for

Must be a different thread, cause I searched for your name and this is your first post here.

Don't worry, I can see how you'd be confused. :P

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
Perpetual Change..regardless of your point of view regarding anyone elses commentary or beliefs (even if they are trolling) there are rules here that are not to be broken and lines not to be crossed. It matters not that you might have been offended by someones comment; that doesn't make it okay for you to resort to name calling. Enjoy your vacation. In the future, let a mod take care of the problems. The next time you decide to act the way you did in this thread, the ban won't be temporary.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
Perpetual Change..regardless of your point of view regarding anyone elses commentary or beliefs (even if they are trolling) there are rules here that are not to be broken and lines not to be crossed. It matters not that you might have been offended by someones comment; that doesn't make it okay for you to resort to name calling. Enjoy your vacation. In the future, let a mod take care of the problems. The next time you decide to act the way you did in this thread, the ban won't be temporary.

Way to come into this thread and basically said "its ok to wish death upon poor people, but god help you if you name call the person that wishes that"

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
Derp

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
{edited}

Offline Ħ

« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »
This thread is going the way of Circuit City in 2009.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
This thread is going the way of Circuit City in 2009.

Don't say it, I would like to be able to discuss the protests at least. :facepalm:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
Come into a thread and say you are happy when poor people die...get a warning.

Call a dude out on his shit...get banned.

Cool.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2011, 10:45:07 PM »
So, well, what do you think the probability of these getting coverage by the major news outlets?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »
Aaaaaanyway, I hear there's protests developing across the country, at least on the Eastern side of the country.  There's one even close to where I work, I hear.  Should be interesting to encounter walking to work tomorrow morning.

So, well, what do you think the probability of these getting coverage by the major news outlets?

It's gotten a few mentions already on New York Times, so let's just wait and see.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

You realize the Fed is one of the things being protested by a lot of people, right? I saw multiple "end the fed" signs out there. It's definitely part of the agenda.
Yeah, that's nice and all, but overall I don't see the majority of the crowd knowing what they really want. It feels in the vein of "What we want? -We don't know! But we want it now" protests.

That's not because the people are clueless, it's because everyone is there for a difference reason. Honestly, that's still more than the libertarians have done on their own. If there's every been a group that makes a big show of chest-pounding on the internet and consistently fails to materialize in the "real world" time and time again, it's the libertarians.
Damn it. You got yourself banned. But anyway, is your point "SOMETHING must be done? It doesn't matter what it is, SOMETHING must be done?" Because when I hear that they are protesting against Wall Street I see it in two ways, 1) Let's abolish Wall Street because it is evil and the source of our economic woes. 2) Don't let Wall Street (which it is not inherently evil) do transactions with money that are from Corporations (who basically have stolen it from the ordinary citizens because the government gave these benefits to once small/medium companies that turned into Corporations). If they were protesting in Wall Street because they want to end and Corporatism in the USA, I'm all for it. But if they want to just end Wall Street, then I don't think that what they are doing is right.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
Aaaaaanyway, I hear there's protests developing across the country, at least on the Eastern side of the country.  There's one even close to where I work, I hear.  Should be interesting to encounter walking to work tomorrow morning.

That's quite interesting to see that more have sprouted up.

Could be a sign that the unrest is growing; it'd be nice if it continued to grow and possibly even resulted in the fed. taking notice, at least.

Though whether or not that happens is something to find out when it does or doesn't happen, I guess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

You realize the Fed is one of the things being protested by a lot of people, right? I saw multiple "end the fed" signs out there. It's definitely part of the agenda.
Yeah, that's nice and all, but overall I don't see the majority of the crowd knowing what they really want. It feels in the vein of "What we want? -We don't know! But we want it now" protests.

That's not because the people are clueless, it's because everyone is there for a difference reason. Honestly, that's still more than the libertarians have done on their own. If there's every been a group that makes a big show of chest-pounding on the internet and consistently fails to materialize in the "real world" time and time again, it's the libertarians.
Damn it. You got yourself banned. But anyway, is your point "SOMETHING must be done? It doesn't matter what it is, SOMETHING must be done?" Because when I hear that they are protesting against Wall Street I see it in two ways, 1) Let's abolish Wall Street because it is evil and the source of our economic woes. 2) Don't let Wall Street (which it is not inherently evil) do transactions with money that are from Corporations (who basically have stolen it from the ordinary citizens because the government gave these benefits to once small/medium companies that turned into Corporations). If they were protesting in Wall Street because they want to end and Corporatism in the USA, I'm all for it. But if they want to just end Wall Street, then I don't think that what they are doing is right.

So what would you suggest we do?

Offline ehra

« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »
It matters not that you might have been offended by someones comment; that doesn't make it okay for you to resort to name calling.

This is so ironic coming from you.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »

Cool.

Numbers, you are very close to walking on the edge here, so please be careful where you tread. As is outlined in the rules, if you have a problem or a question about a moderators decision on this site, PM that moderator. Do not discuss it openly in the forum.
Be that as it may, PC has been warned (and banned) numerous times already in the past. So he wasn't banned for one comment in this thread. Yeshaberto handled the issue with Praxis how he saw fit. I simply followed our basic protocol and structure, and PC was banned for his attacks. Regardless of what was said to encourage his posting of his commentary... PC broke the rules...again.

I suggest that everyone move along and continue to the discussion in a civil manner before the thread winds up closed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:20:54 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »

Way to come into this thread and basically said "its ok to wish death upon poor people, but god help you if you name call the person that wishes that"

BC
The hell are you talking about? Praxis has some (in my opinion) ridiculous views, but he's entitled to those views. He's not attacking anyone, and he isn't telling anyone else how THEY should feel, merely expressing his own opinions. Granted, he's not being respectful about it, but that is why he was warned.

Whereas Joe took it upon himself to launch a direct personal attack, which is absolutely against the rules, and which may have been a warning with a clean history but considering his previous warnings and bans, was a ban. How is that in any way not logical?

And Cole, I don't know how many times I have to explain to you the difference between having bad opinions and breaking rules. Your behaviour in this thread has been just as bas as Praxis' because you're being just as narrow minded but go one step further and start telling other people what their opinions should be. If you can't debate in an intelligent way without getting worked up and angry, then you're probably better off staying out of P/R.

As for someone being a troll, maybe he is, but it's only working because people are responding. As far as I can see, there was a discussion going on in both directions. If you ignore him and he carries on, THAT is being a troll. Simply having opinions that you disagree with (no matter how strongly) does not constitute trolling.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:01 AM »
Fox News covered the protests this morning. It was on TV, and I was trying to sleep, but my puppy was walking all over me and annoying me. I couldn't really pay attention.

I do know how 401ks work. I also know that a lot of Wall St. investors make money on dividends. IE, their money. With the money that THEY EARN, what is it our business if they use it how they wish?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

Cool.

Cole, since you've already been warned and called out by Rich about this post, I don't want to belabor the point.  But I feel it necessary to point something out:  Don't forgot for a moment that you have been banned in the past for, for example, making completely inappropriate comments about a moderator's minor daughter, and as such, you are within an inch of being permanently banned from the forum yourself.  You have survived this long because you have mostly settled down and stayed on the right side of the rules.  But don't forget:  Cross that line, and you will not be coming back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsem

« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »
Fox News covered the protests this morning. It was on TV, and I was trying to sleep, but my puppy was walking all over me and annoying me. I couldn't really pay attention.

I do know how 401ks work. I also know that a lot of Wall St. investors make money on dividends. IE, their money. With the money that THEY EARN, what is it our business if they use it how they wish?

Dividends aren't the problem here. It's stuff like the government buying toxic assets off bankers that angers people.

Offline livehard

« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
No offense to the libertarians on board, but I can't tell the difference between libertarian disdain for government and anarchist disdain for authority.

A couple minutes of research/4th grade or above thinking would rememdy that

Offline livehard

« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
I think the Wall St people dont really understand capital markets.  I dont know if there has been any device that has improved the welfare of the common man more than the capital markets and the corporation. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »

No offense to the libertarians on board, but I can't tell the difference between libertarian disdain for government and anarchist disdain for authority.
Anarchism and libertarianism aren't concepts too far from eachother. At least if you define anarchism like Murray Rothbard would, who was the first great libertarian thinker who put forth a full defense for an anarcho-capitalist society.

Centralized power is one of the worst things in a libertarian perspective, hence the hate for government and how it's in bed with Wall St.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

So what would you suggest we do?
I think, for starters, organize themselves. Let the good ideas in and drop down the baseless ramble.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

Dividends aren't the problem here. It's stuff like the government buying toxic assets off bankers that angers people.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »

Any idea what they got arrested for? Not having a permit?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »

Any idea what they got arrested for? Not having a permit?

Blocking everyday activities, like bridges. You know, people couldn't drive.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
I heard from a not credible source that they were getting arrested for starting cooking fires and shit like that when it is illegal to do so. Anybody confirm this?