Author Topic: Wall Street Protests  (Read 73177 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wall Street Protests
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

You realize the Fed is one of the things being protested by a lot of people, right? I saw multiple "end the fed" signs out there. It's definitely part of the agenda.
Yeah, that's nice and all, but overall I don't see the majority of the crowd knowing what they really want. It feels in the vein of "What we want? -We don't know! But we want it now" protests.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
And didn't someone mention a bunch of commercial pilots?

Oh yeah, I forgot. A pilots' union and the New York Transit Workers' Union.

Offline livehard

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
You know whats hilarious? I work down on Wall St and there's very little finance/big bank going on there.  Most of the I-banks are in midtown/tribecca, etc...  Wall St. itself is very residential/commerical... I have my gym right there lol...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
Perhaps from hyperinflation from the print-happy Messiah in Chief, not because of stock brokers.  :rollin

You realize the Fed is one of the things being protested by a lot of people, right? I saw multiple "end the fed" signs out there. It's definitely part of the agenda.
Yeah, that's nice and all, but overall I don't see the majority of the crowd knowing what they really want. It feels in the vein of "What we want? -We don't know! But we want it now" protests.

That's not because the people are clueless, it's because everyone is there for a difference reason. Honestly, that's still more than the libertarians have done on their own. If there's every been a group that makes a big show of chest-pounding on the internet and consistently fails to materialize in the "real world" time and time again, it's the libertarians.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:10:54 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
No offense to the libertarians on board, but I can't tell the difference between libertarian disdain for government and anarchist disdain for authority.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PraXis

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
No offense to the libertarians on board, but I can't tell the difference between libertarian disdain for government and anarchist disdain for authority.

Libertarians like myself want a LIMITED federal government, not an abolishment of one. We feel that issues such as health care and education (for example) are better left to the states to deal with individually. As for the fed gov't, national defense (not offense).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
But where do the limits stop?  I mean from my history of conversing with you, it sounds like what you personally want is no federation of states at all, just a political society in which you look out for you and yours and I for me and mine, and that's it.  That sounds like a state of nature (anarchy) to me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »

Libertarians like myself want a LIMITED federal government, not an abolishment of one. We feel that issues such as health care and education (for example) are better left to the states to deal with individually. As for the fed gov't, national defense (not offense).

How about bailing out Wall Street. Should the government have done that?

Offline PraXis

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
But where do the limits stop?  I mean from my history of conversing with you, it sounds like what you personally want is no federation of states at all, just a political society in which you look out for you and yours and I for me and mine, and that's it.  That sounds like a state of nature (anarchy) to me.

The limits stop at where the Constitution says. If you don't like the limits, ask your representatives to promote an amendment.

"How about bailing out Wall Street. Should the government have done that?"

Absolutely not. No bailouts.

The only reason Goldman Sachs.. err I mean AIG got bailed out (and Lehman Bros was conveniently allowed to go under) was because GS is part of the Federal Reserve. The F.R. controls this country... btw GS and Lehman are both in the carbon trading scheme as competitors... GS directly benefited from both the AIG bailout (their insurance co) and the Lehman collapse (their competitor).

Follow the money.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
I'm baffled. You're against the Wall Street bailouts, but your against protesting it too. What point are you trying to make here?

Offline PraXis

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
I'm not against any kind of non-violent protest, but a very small percentage of protestors in NYC are actually going against the Federal Reserve. They actually think that Wall Street corporations have headquarters in NYC.  :rollin

It's turned into another leftist/anarchist rally that is nothing but anti-capitalism and wealth/achievement envy.. and I'm curious.. how old are the left-leaning members on this forum... most likely still getting a free ride from mommy and daddy. Once these people actually work a few years and are in their late 20s like myself, they will see the light.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
Federal Reserve?

If I'm correct, it's the thing that allows banks to take out as much loans as they want to give out as loans to people, though the printing of more money?

That thing does seem pretty bad to me, though I can't really say I know too much about it, aside from that, which I learned from an anti-FR cartoon on Youtube, so, please go on more about the FR, if you want; I could use the education.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »
I'm not against any kind of non-violent protest, but a very small percentage of protestors in NYC are actually going against the Federal Reserve. They actually think that Wall Street corporations have headquarters in NYC.  :rollin

You don't know that and have absolutely no statistical basis to make those statements.

:rollin

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
:lol

I didn't think people became that jaded until they hit 50...at least!

Meanwhile, why exactly is the Constitution, "America's Bible?" Talk about an old, outdated document that needs a good burning...or at least a rewrite. If George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, and Ben Franklin knew we were still using what they wrote as a means to govern the country, they'd shoot themselves.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »
Federal Reserve?

If I'm correct, it's the thing that allows banks to take out as much loans as they want to give out as loans to people, though the printing of more money?

That thing does seem pretty bad to me, though I can't really say I know too much about it, aside from that, which I learned from an anti-FR cartoon on Youtube, so, please go on more about the FR, if you want; I could use the education.

There's nothing "federal" about the F.R. other than the title and the fact that they own 99% of our representatives. The F.R. is a private, central bank that unconstitutionally became enacted in 1913 (along with the federal income tax). They print the money, establish the interest rates, and our government borrows from them, rather than the constitutional duty to take care of it.

Read "The Creature at Jekyll Island"

Meanwhile, why exactly is the Constitution, "America's Bible?" Talk about an old, outdated document that needs a good burning...or at least a rewrite. If George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, and Ben Franklin new we were still using what they wrote as a means to govern the country, they'd shoot themselves.

It's the fucking LAW OF THE LAND. If you don't like it, then propose an amendment. Otherwise, it stays as-is. It's THAT simple. Good luck with getting the 2/3 support to amend it. ;)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
I agree...it just so happens to be a shitty, outdated law of the land that just so happens to need a good kick in the arse.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
You really need to try harder.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

Meanwhile, why exactly is the Constitution, "America's Bible?" Talk about an old, outdated document that needs a good burning...or at least a rewrite. If George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, and Ben Franklin knew we were still using what they wrote as a means to govern the country, they'd shoot themselves.

You know, I've thought this for awhile. This "obsession with what does the text say is such an American thing. In Academia, in Christianity, and of course in law. It's like, after a certain point, people give up in deciding things for themselves and defer authority to what the textbook says.

I don't notice that kinda of attitude from Christians and lawyers elsewhere.  And I'm not saying that kind of thinking is always bad-- it has its advantages. But it also can be a real drag sometimes.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
Many firms locate their HQs in areas such as the Cayman Islands. They have offices in cities like Philly, NYC, LA, but HQ's? Hell no... not with the tax advantages provided in the islands.

Listen, I know many of you have your mouth on either Obama's or the DNC's cock... it's ok.... you're most likely teenagers or young adults with no professional experience.. it's okay.. it gets better as YOU get better.

I'm enjoying some expensive scotch and going to relax for a bit and get some rest for tomorrow where I'm going to make even more money to increase my quality of life. If you're really concerned about what to protest against or what to do to protect yourself, just follow the money!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
Guys, don't feed the troll.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
holy shit PraXis. You seriously must be trolling...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Obama's or the DNC's cock...

I'd like to think he'd get banned for this...

and then I woke up.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
::le sigh::

Why do so many Republicans on this forum always argue in such a way that is not conducive to finding common ground for agreement between people with different ideas at all?

:\

Offline PraXis

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
Why do so many liberals (in and outside of the forum) feel entitled to other people's money?

Note: I am not a Republican. I am not religious and I love abortion (especially when the poor get them).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:17:45 PM by PraXis »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »
...this is the troll of the century.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
What are you talking about? I just see a big empty grey space....

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
Note: I am not a Republican. I am not religious and I love abortion (especially when the poor get them).

Once again, if I said this, I'd get my ass banned, but so it goes.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
 :|

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
I'm somewhat interested in what PraXis does for a living, and where he went to school.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
Holy shit. I didn't see that edit.

Praxis, you are without a doubt the worst poster on this forum in a long, long time. Epicview and tick may have ideas about politics that seem nutty to me most of the time, but at the end of the day they seem like a good guys with good hearts. You, on the other hand, are downright reprehensible. That abortion comment truly crosses the line, and deeply offends me. From reading your posts, I've now fully deducted that you are either the greedy, gun-touting, elitist John Galt worshiping idiot with an overweening sense of privilege that I thought only existed in the left's caricatures of the right, or you are just Disappear again returned to troll us via proxy for awhile.

I really hope, for humanities' sake, it's the latter. But unfortunately that's probably not the truth and the truth is you just are a really sad person.

If I were a mod, you'd have been banned long ago. But I'm not, so me saying all this will probably get me banned for overstepping what normal members are supposed to do. Well, fuck if I care. While I generally appreciate the freedom discussions on this side are generally given in terms of exchanging ideas about controversial subjects, I can honestly say that I don't want to post at a forum that allows downright hatred toward other groups of people to go unchecked for such a long time.

Praxis, do yourself a favor and step back and ask yourself whether anyone here actually appreciates you or values your contributions to this community. The answer is almost definitely "no." I may get banned for saying so, but if asking you to ask yourself that question encourages you to leave this forum I will have done more than my share of good for this place in the long run.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
Holy shit. I didn't see that edit.

Praxis, you are without a doubt the worst poster on this forum in a long, long time. Epicview and tick may have ideas about politics that seem nutty to me most of the time, but at the end of the day they seem like a good guys with good hearts. You, on the other hand, are downright reprehensible. That abortion comment truly crosses the line, and deeply offends me. From reading your posts, I've now fully deducted that you are either the greedy, gun-touting, elitist John Galt worshiping idiot with an overweening sense of privilege that I thought only existed in the left's caricatures of the right, or you are just Disappear again returned to troll us via proxy for awhile.

I really hope, for humanities' sake, it's the latter. But unfortunately that's probably not the truth and the truth is you just are a really sad person.

If I were a mod, you'd have been banned long ago. But I'm not, so me saying all this will probably get me banned for overstepping what normal members are supposed to do. Well, fuck if I care. While I generally appreciate the freedom discussions on this side are generally given in terms of exchanging ideas about controversial subjects, I can honestly say that I don't want to post at a forum that allows downright hatred toward other groups of people to go unchecked for such a long time.

Praxis, do yourself a favor and step back and ask yourself whether anyone here actually appreciates you or values your contributions to this community. The answer is almost definitely "no." I may get banned for saying so, but if asking you to ask yourself that question encourages you to leave this forum I will have done more than my share of good for this place in the long run.

I am 73109 and I approve of this post.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
Many firms locate their HQs in areas such as the Cayman Islands. They have offices in cities like Philly, NYC, LA, but HQ's? Hell no... not with the tax advantages provided in the islands.

Listen, I know many of you have your mouth on either Obama's or the DNC's cock... it's ok.... you're most likely teenagers or young adults with no professional experience.. it's okay.. it gets better as YOU get better.

I'm enjoying some expensive scotch and going to relax for a bit and get some rest for tomorrow where I'm going to make even more money to increase my quality of life. If you're really concerned about what to protest against or what to do to protect yourself, just follow the money!

I think we could have more productive conversations in this sub-forum without the sweeping generalizations and insults found in posts like this. ALL it does is provoke (warranted) responses and defenses and drives the thread off topic. I don't give a shit what you believe politically. There's no need for garbage like this -- I'd encourage everyone to just ignore it from now on.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
Antigoon,

It's hard to ignore the fact that a Nazi posts at our forums.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »