Author Topic: Yahoo's Top Ten Worst Heavy Metal Albums  (Read 8434 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Yahoo's Top Ten Worst Heavy Metal Albums
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:27 AM »
To whoever said DM is the best album since Justice.... DM is better than the black album? REALLY?  :omg:

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
The list is missing:

Judas Priest - Turbo and Black Sabbath - Forbidden :lol

idk I think we all could list about 100 more albums that are worse than the ones posted.

To whoever said DM is the best album since Justice.... DM is better than the black album? REALLY?  :omg:

Yeah, the Black Album really is not good at all.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:38 AM »
They put Load/Reload in there but not Death Magnetic? Jesus.
Death Magnetic is light years ahead of Load and Reload. At least in my head it is. And it's almost just as good as Black album, now that we're talking about it.

I read this list yesterday, and immediately realized it was going to cause a shit storm all over the internet. Then again, that's what all these lists do in the end. My problem with some of the choices is that I wouldn't put some of these albums in a ''heavy metal'' category, like St. Anger.

As for Never say never and Fear of the dark... These two records are actually my least favorites by these bands, so I figured they might find their place in my bottom 10 as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 09:06:54 AM »

I honestly pity anyone who thinks DM is better than The Black Album. DM is decent, but it's just generic copies of their older stuff, except played sloppy and not very well written. The Black Album is an amazing metal album, it just isn't an hour of thrashing an E string mindlessly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
Most of these lists are pointless.  And this one is no exception.

Some I kind of agree with, others, not so much.

For example, I wasn't very fond of Metallica's Load/Reload era, but I don't think they belong on any "10 worst metal albums" list

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
Where the hell is Celtic Frost's Cold Lake?

I mean, if this is a cross section of the guy's collection, he's pretty much a mainstream hard rock/metal fan, so it missing Cold Lake isn't that much of a shock, but Cold Lake is legendary for being a misjudgement of epic proportions.

And Music From The Elder is actually a pretty amazing album. It was, admittedly, rejected by the casual fan base of Kiss and even the band (for the longest time, the band didn't even acknowledge they released it officially) and Bob Ezrin has dismissed it by saying everyone working on it was high off their asses-but it's something of an underrated gem in the Kiss catalog. Would rather listen to it than to Unmasked or Hot In The Shade. Or hell. most of Psycho Circus for that matter  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
i've never seen such an accurate list in my life. the writers need to be applauded for compiling such a wonderful list of terrible albums.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
Raven, the Pack is Back.... NO WAY!!!!!!! This album defines Metal and is really a concept album based upon Wackos time at Burger King, its a deep album that must be listened to with only the highest quality headphones, look..Im not saying the remaster of it is done correctly, but I don think that should be taken into account..sigh......

I LOLed.   

I actually really like The Pack is Back...but I honestly do not know why.  Biggest commercial sell out in the history of metal...with the possible exception of the aforementioned "Cold Lake".   

As a hard core Ravenlunatic, I almost feel bad for liking the Pack is Back...I mean, it's a pop album by a thrash band.   That's supposed to bother me on some level.  I guess it's just an example of the eclectic mix of stuff I was listening to when it came out.

I also love Twisted Sister's Come Out and Play.   One rule of thumb you have to remember about Twisted Sister....the singles you heard on the radio were ALWAYS the worst songs on the album.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 09:45:21 AM »

I honestly pity anyone who thinks DM is better than The Black Album. DM is decent, but it's just generic copies of their older stuff, except played sloppy and not very well written. The Black Album is an amazing metal album, it just isn't an hour of thrashing an E string mindlessly.

Come on now. Thrashing on the E string is not "mindless" (see: all-time classics like Kill 'Em All and Reign in Blood). I prefer my metal a little faster and more aggressive which is why I prefer DM. The Black album is way too commercial for my tastes.

And since we're going there, I honestly pity anyone who prefers Systematic Chaos to When Dream and Day Unite.  :P  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »

Come on now. Thrashing on the E string is not "mindless" (see: all-time classics like Kill 'Em All and Reign in Blood). I prefer my metal a little faster and more aggressive which is why I prefer DM. The Black album is way too commercial for my tastes.

And since we're going there, I honestly pity anyone who prefers Systematic Chaos to When Dream and Day Unite.  :P  ;)

I was only comparing TBA with DM, not saying their old stuff is thrashing mindlessly. I love all of their pre-TBA albums just as much, but DM screams out "WE'RE STILL COOL AND METAL", except the songwriting was just weak imo. Style/genre does not make song good.
And I don't consider being commercial a criticism at all. Appealing to a wide range of people does not make an album bad. I don't really consider it a commercial album anyway, despite how successful it's been. It's more mainstream than AJFA and MoP sure, but it's still not written just to sell albums. The songwriting is intricate and layered, the vocals are melodic while still retaining the Hetfield growl, and the solos are great, but melodic and thoughtful, and it was written in that style because Metallica wanted to go in that direction, and not to please their fanbase.
Meanwhile, I consider DM a straightforward album of average to bland riffing, plain vocals, and not a single decent solo from Hammett. There are some songs I enjoy, but none of them are that strong beginning to end.

And I pity anyone who doesn't pity how bad WDADU is. ;) :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »
Death Magnetic is light years ahead of Load and Reload. At least in my head it is. And it's almost just as good as Black album, now that we're talking about it.

Agreed.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
Raven, the Pack is Back.... NO WAY!!!!!!! This album defines Metal and is really a concept album based upon Wackos time at Burger King, its a deep album that must be listened to with only the highest quality headphones, look..Im not saying the remaster of it is done correctly, but I don think that should be taken into account..sigh......

I LOLed.   

I actually really like The Pack is Back...but I honestly do not know why.  Biggest commercial sell out in the history of metal...with the possible exception of the aforementioned "Cold Lake".   

As a hard core Ravenlunatic, I almost feel bad for liking the Pack is Back...I mean, it's a pop album by a thrash band.   That's supposed to bother me on some level.  I guess it's just an example of the eclectic mix of stuff I was listening to when it came out.

I also love Twisted Sister's Come Out and Play.   One rule of thumb you have to remember about Twisted Sister....the singles you heard on the radio were ALWAYS the worst songs on the album.

I agree Jammin.. I own both of those on cassette...LOL.. it was an odd time in music for sure..all metal bands were looking for that one big hit to crossover...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
The list is missing:

idk I think we all could list about 100 more albums that are worse than the ones posted.

Also Megadeth - Risk

:neverusethis:

Just kidding....Risk kicks ass.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
Quote from: Yahoo
There are certain rules to heavy metal that must be observed.

I still think this is the dumbest sentence in that whole article.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »
It's not dumb. You just have no regard for the rules of teh mehtul.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
I like that one Metallica song where they play the power chords. You know? The one written in E. With palm muting.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »
Is that the one that makes use of the wah-wah pedal?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 10:44:52 AM »
In the solo, yes.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
It's Yahoo... Did anyone honestly expect an article that wasn't full of shit; vegetarian shit!? Breasts? My exquisite breasts? I was going to read the article but then I saw some breaking news about Angelina Jolie's panty-line.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
Death Magnetic is WAY better than Load or Reload.  It may have been mixed like sh#t.  But, it's probably their best album since Justice.

o/

Also, Load and Reload are almost completely rock/hard rock except for a metal section that occurs once every two or three songs like the cool buildup in Bleeding Me, the uptempo bridge in Hero of the Day, etc.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
<snip> Breasts? My exquisite breasts? <snip>

This was the only line of your post that I noticed....

;D :D

:sadpanda:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
The list is missing:

Also Megadeth - Risk

:neverusethis:

Just kidding....Risk kicks ass.
NOPE

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
Risk does indeed kick ass. I can confirm.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
meh

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
Fear of the Dark? Really? Really?! Fear of the Dark. NOT Virtual XI?

This is why I hate things.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Honestly, to me, The Black Album is way overplayed.  It has my least favorite Metallica tune of all-time (Don't Tread On Me) and 2 ballads (one of which (NEM) I don't ever want to hear them play live again.  It's a total show killer). 

Whether it's forced or not, DM is a push back to the old days.  "All Nightmare Long" is awesome.  "The Judas Kiss" and "My Apocalypse" are pretty close.  Commercially, it's never gonna be the giant that The Black Album is.  But, for those of us looking for new "vintage" Metallica, DM is pretty sweet.

And, like everything else being talked about in this thread, including the stupid Top 10, this is an opinion. 

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
Not listing All for One in the "Purchase instead" comments for Raven is the only thing that raises my hackles.

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
There are a lot worst Kiss albums than The Elder.  Unmasked, Crazy Nights, Asylum, just to name a few.  I like the Elder.  I know they were trying to be something they aren't, but I dig it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »
There are a lot worst Kiss albums than The Elder.  Unmasked, Crazy Nights, Asylum, just to name a few.  I like the Elder.  I know they were trying to be something they aren't, but I dig it.

I agree. I've always enjoyed that album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
Dynasty, Unmasked, and Hot in the Shade are my picks for most dismal Kiss album.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
>implying Yahoo writers know anything about anything
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
ITT, DTF proves it knows more about metal than Yahoo!

Really not much of an accomplishment if you ask me   :biggrin:

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
I hate to say it, but I agree that Never Say Die belongs on the list. Someone needs to explain to me why that album is any good.

There is no way that this album deserves to be on that list. Personally I find it much better than the previous album (Technical Ecstasy) even with all their problems at the time.

I actually really, really like Never Say Die!.  I understand some of the criticism of it and obviously the band wasn't happy with it because of all the circumstances surrounding them at the time, with them breaking up etc. I guess what I like most about it is that it isn't a typical Black Sabbath album yet it's still them.

I believe most of the criticism of it is because it wasn't the doom laden sound they carried through the majority of their existence (which I also loved). It's not what you expect from them but that wasn't a bad thing at that point in their career IMO.

The ideas on this album probably were a bit disjointed as they were having so many issues as a band at the time. Ozzy had left the band, came back and they re-wrote some of the material they already had. Having said that the music and playing is actually very good. If most people were to listen to it and not be aware that it was Black Sabbath they would probably rate the album quite high. 

Never Say Die, Johnny Blade, Junior's Eyes, A Hard Road, Over To You are all good songs IMO.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:35:47 PM by WebRaider »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »
Good post; good points. I still hate it though. :p

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Kiss is not metal by any stretch of the imagination?