Author Topic: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Nominees for 2012 Induction  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Nominees for 2012 Induction
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
Rick Roll Hall of Fame.

Unfortunately, there really is one.  A collection of public Rickrolls throughout the years.  Sporting events, public speaking engagements, weddings, meetings, etc.  Link.  I wish I was making this up.  As much I always found it amusing, this is a little much.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:52 AM »
I know what that link is.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
???

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
Nice try. :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »
You are indeed a formidable opponent, Felisberto.  I tip my hat to you.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
I don't mind the list, but it's interesting to see that rock defined in the traditional sense is dying out as a distinguished genre.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 07:48:58 AM »
The Cure, RHCP and The Beastie Boys are the only groups that deserve it from that mostly pathetic list.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
Has this board ever done it's own Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voting? We could elect 5 bands per year or something . . .

Yeah that wouldn't be boring or predictable at all...

Offline masterthes

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
Maybe when that douchebag Jann Webber passes, then the really good bands/artists will get in

Offline jsem

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
Sometimes I think this institution was created for the sole purpose of trolling real music fans.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »
I don't mind the list, but it's interesting to see that rock defined in the traditional sense is dying out as a distinguished genre.

Yeah. The bands making "rock" these days mainly seem to be:

1) Crappy bands like Jet trying that horribly watered-down 60s revival thing.

2) Bands failing miserably at doing "metal" so they get lumped in like Breaking Benjamin and 3 Days Grace.

3) Pop "bands" that are really vehicles for "looks-first" frontmen/women.

4) Actual bands making music far too light to be considered rock but who would rather shamelessly ride the coattails of the "rock" genre than sleep in the bed they've made (making pop music that isn't intended for the masses) and put up with the guff that comes with the "pop" stigma. Kings of Leon comes to mind. Anyone remember the term "soft rock"? That basically degenerated into what I'm talking about in this example.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Kind of would like to see RHCP and The Cure get in, but on the other hand if GNR or Summers get in I'm almost glad Rush, Priest, Maiden, etc., aren't associated with this joke.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
absolutely unacceptable...year after year!!

it seems like there was even a yahoo headline about Rush not making it again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Either the HOF thinks Rush is too niche or they really do hate them. I think the selection committee gets a perverse pleasure out of not voting them in, though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
What a waste of energy. I don't even know what to say. Joan Jett?? I think The Runaways are already in and I have no f##king idea why.

I don't have a problem if the RHCP get in someday, but not before Deep Purple, Rush, Kiss, Judas Priest.
Guns n Roses?? Give me a break.
I don't get it at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
I mean, I don't think the R&RHOF NEEDS to be a strictly-rock institution.  Celebrating other kinds of music like pop, soul, blues, R&B, etcetera, isn't a bad thing.  "Rock n Roll" is a pretty broad term nowadays.  "Rock Star" can be used to describe anyone from 50 Cent to Chad Kroeger.  Its just the word that's gotten a bit broader in usage.  So what if they let in Madonna or the Beastie Boys? 

Also, Black_Floyd, you're sounding like a butthurt pretentious prog/metal fan.  Just thought I'd let you know before you said anything more embarrassing.  :)  Besides, you left out all the old guys making hard rock music in the style of Mr. Big or Extreme in the late 80s/early 90s but without changing anything.  Or, you know, plenty of the amazing modern bands that can be considered "rock." 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »
  Besides, you left out all the old guys making hard rock music in the style of Mr. Big or Extreme in the late 80s/early 90s but without changing anything.   

I'm not sure which band from this era even deserves to get in though?
Certainly Bon Jovi does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
I mean, I don't think the R&RHOF NEEDS to be a strictly-rock institution.  Celebrating other kinds of music like pop, soul, blues, R&B, etcetera, isn't a bad thing.  "Rock n Roll" is a pretty broad term nowadays.  "Rock Star" can be used to describe anyone from 50 Cent to Chad Kroeger.  Its just the word that's gotten a bit broader in usage.  So what if they let in Madonna or the Beastie Boys? 

Also, Black_Floyd, you're sounding like a butthurt pretentious prog/metal fan.  Just thought I'd let you know before you said anything more embarrassing.  :)  Besides, you left out all the old guys making hard rock music in the style of Mr. Big or Extreme in the late 80s/early 90s but without changing anything.  Or, you know, plenty of the amazing modern bands that can be considered "rock."
What about his post is butt hurt pretentious prog/metal fan?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
I didn't realize that Wenner was that asshole behind the whole thing.
Sometimes I think this institution was created for the sole purpose of trolling real music fans.
The foundation of Rolling Stone.

It all makes sense to me now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ehra

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »

Not sure, but his implication that Breaking Benjamin is bad makes it objectively wrong anyway.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »

Not sure, but his implication that Breaking Benjamin is bad makes it objectively wrong anyway.
They are though :L
They are the best of a bad bunch, I'll give them that, but bad nonetheless.

Offline ehra

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
You trollin.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
You trollin.
Nope, in all honesty, I'm not.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
"Rock Star" can be used to describe anyone from 50 Cent to Chad Kroeger.  Its just the word that's gotten a bit broader in usage.  So what if they let in Madonna or the Beastie Boys? 

I worded my post as carefully as I could and made a couple honest opinions about the way I see things. I'm not gonna let the way I felt when I read your post govern my wording of this post but I will say that I'm disappointed you felt it necessary to be as rude as you were since I've generally liked your posting and thought well of you until that point but it was pretty unnecessary to attack my viewpoint and belittle me the way you did and the whole "embarassing" comment is straight condescension. I really hope you're just having a bad day cuz this seems remarkably childish coming from someone like you.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ehra

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
You trollin.

Well, in that case, Breaking Benjamin is better than your favorite band. Unless your favorite band is a band I like more than Breaking Benjamin, in which case Breaking Benjamin is better than your second favorite band. And so on and so forth.

Also, Kiss still isn't in the RRHOF? What the poo.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »
You trollin.

Well, in that case, Breaking Benjamin is better than your favorite band. Unless your favorite band is a band I like more than Breaking Benjamin, in which case Breaking Benjamin is better than your second favorite band. And so on and so forth.

Also, Kiss still isn't in the RRHOF? What the poo.
Better than Kvelertak or Death?  HAHAHAHA, thats a good one.  :loser:

Offline ehra

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
Teehee.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
"Rock Star" can be used to describe anyone from 50 Cent to Chad Kroeger.  Its just the word that's gotten a bit broader in usage.  So what if they let in Madonna or the Beastie Boys? 

I worded my post as carefully as I could and made a couple honest opinions about the way I see things. I'm not gonna let the way I felt when I read your post govern my wording of this post but I will say that I'm disappointed you felt it necessary to be as rude as you were since I've generally liked your posting and thought well of you until that point but it was pretty unnecessary to attack my viewpoint and belittle me the way you did and the whole "embarassing" comment is straight condescension. I really hope you're just having a bad day cuz this seems remarkably childish coming from someone like you.

No need to defend yourself, your post was spot-on. The pathetic institution should be renamed "Popular Music  Hall of Fame".

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
^I like you. I've got a cold 12er of O'Doul's in my fridge with your name on it :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:30 PM »
^I like you. I've got a cold 12er of O'Doul's in my fridge with your name on it :P
:metal

• DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
:metal

Psych! I'm rockin' Bud Light Golden Wheat, Highland oatmeal porter, and Highland gaelic ale y'eard!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
The smiley was meant to imply that I don't have anything against you.  Plus, if I did have a serious problem, I wouldn't have used the word "butthurt."  :P  However, I don't think that you were being fair by breaking down modern rock music into 4 broad categories, none of which actually describe the vast amount of music that's out there.  It just came off as one of those rants about how much popular music sucks, which is just annoying to read, especially when we're talking about a joke institution like the RARHOF.  Sorry if it came off as belittling.  :)

I think my comment about "rock stars" was pretty valid though?  Was that a misquote or did I subconsciously belittle you there?