Author Topic: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Nominees for 2012 Induction  (Read 4232 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
New York (September 27, 2011) — The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 were announced today.  The nominees are:
·    Beastie Boys
·    The Cure
·    Donovan
·    Eric B. & Rakim
·    Guns 'N Roses
·    Heart
·    Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
·    Freddie King
·    Laura Nyro
·    Red Hot Chili Peppers
·    Rufus with Chaka Khan
·    The Small Faces/The Faces
·    The Spinners
·    Donna Summer
·    War

“The 2012 Nominees embody the broad scope of what ‘rock and roll’ means,” said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “From vocal groups to hip hop, from singer-songwriters to hard rocking artists, this group represents the spirit of what we celebrate at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Ballots will be sent to more than 500 voters, who will select artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the 27th Annual Induction Ceremony. To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The 2012 Nominees had to release their first recording no later than 1986.

All inductees are ultimately represented in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, the nonprofit organization that exists to educate its audiences on the global impact of the rock and roll art form via the museum, as well as its education programs and library and archives.

The 27th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be held in Cleveland on Saturday, April 14, 2012. Leading up to the ceremony, the Museum will host 10 days of special events, including tours of the newly redesigned Museum, the unveiling of a major new exhibit, and the grand opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s new Library and Archives. The Library and Archives will be the world’s most comprehensive repository of written and audio-visual materials relating to the history of rock and roll.

Tables and VIP Packages for the 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony are available now. The ceremony will again be open to the public, as it was – for the first time in the event’s history – at the 2009 Inductions in Cleveland. Individual tickets for the Induction Ceremony will go on sale to the public in December 2011. Visit rockhall.com for details.

For more information, please contact:                       
Margaret Thresher, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum, 216-515-1215, mthresher@rockhall.org
https://rockhall.com/pressroom/announcements/2012-nominees/

What a fucking surprise. There's no Rush, Maiden, or Priest again. There's always next year! :lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:47:40 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fan Announces Nominees for 2012 Induction
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
The Cure is a nominee? Fuckin' A.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Yeah I really hope they get in, along with RHCP, Heart, and I guess Guns 'N Roses.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »
My predictions:
RHCP
Joan Jett
Guns N Roses
Heart
Donna Summer
Beastie Boys

in b4 "WHERE ARE RUSH"

P.S. WHERE ARE RUSH?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
Actually, at this point I'm more amazed that Iron Maiden hasn't been nominated. Metallica got in on their first nomination, and I'd consider Maiden to be the 'second biggest' metal band I guess....

Rush is never going to get in. I think we've all accepted that.
I AM A GUY

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announces Nominees for 2012 Induction
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
GNR are a lock despite not really adding any spectacular to rock music aside from a handful of catchy songs.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
Eric B. & Rakim. Good shit.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
Heart should get in, Guns should get in, the Chili Peppers should get in

Fuck the Beatie Boys

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Fuck the Beatie Boys

You don't like them, but they'll probably get in.
I AM A GUY

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
Ugh.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
No Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Deep Purple, Rush, The Moody Blues... but yeah, let's induct Donna Summer. lol hall of fame
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
Deep Purple

Them too! Seriously, this place is a joke and I hate the fact that I've given money to them when I toured the museum.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:01 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the hall, but I can't help but feel glad that The Cure is nominated. I doubt Robert Smith cares that much, though.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »

Fuck the Beatie Boys

Name one thing those three bands contributed to music that has more value than what the Beastie Boys did. And I like Heart.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
Heart is awesome. Guns was the biggest rock band at the time and the Chili Peppers did the whole funk rock deal. I just dislike the Beastie Boys.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »

Fuck the Beatie Boys

Name one thing those three bands contributed to music that has more value than what the Beastie Boys did. And I like Heart.
RHCP funkatised rock and kick ass, don't even tell me that the Beastie Boys are more important.  RHCP are actually still relevant these days as they continue to dish out great albums.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »
I'm With You is my current AOTY

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Heart is awesome. Guns was the biggest rock band at the time and the Chili Peppers did the whole funk rock deal. I just dislike the Beastie Boys.

I'm pretty sure U2 was the untouchable biggest rock band during the time Guns were around.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
I'm With You is my current AOTY
Top 15 for me, really good though
Also AFD was like an atomic bomb on rock'n'roll   Orcus.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure U2 was the untouchable biggest rock band during the time Guns were around.

Um...probably. Achtung baby has sold 17 million copies and the Use Your Illusions are around 14. I can correct it by saying *hard* rock band.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 11:10:14 PM »

No. They co-existed as formidable Billboard draws. Sweet Child of Mine was even the alltime most requested video on MTV back when they had the daily Most Wanted countdown years before TRL decimated their credibility. This was at a time when MTV was at the height of its popularity and influence too so it was a fairly accurate reflection of the times. My source on that was the TV Guide issue that commemorated MTV's 10th anniversary in August 1991 so that means that nothing on Rattle and Hum trumped SCoM for request numbers. The fact that UYI(s) sold 80% as many units as Achtung Baby solidifies the fact that neither band dominated the other.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
I'm a fan of the Beastie Boys, but they don't belong in the hall.

But then again, who fucking cares. That place is a joke and everyone knows it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 12:08:24 AM »

No. They co-existed as formidable Billboard draws. Sweet Child of Mine was even the alltime most requested video on MTV back when they had the daily Most Wanted countdown years before TRL decimated their credibility. This was at a time when MTV was at the height of its popularity and influence too so it was a fairly accurate reflection of the times. My source on that was the TV Guide issue that commemorated MTV's 10th anniversary in August 1991 so that means that nothing on Rattle and Hum trumped SCoM for request numbers. The fact that UYI(s) sold 80% as many units as Achtung Baby solidifies the fact that neither band dominated the other.

In the early 90s, U2 was selling out stadiums all over the world by themselves.

Around the same time, GNR and Metallica had to tour together to sell out stadiums.

Game, set and match. :biggrin: :coolio

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »
By the 90s, yes. The late 80s were a different matter. I already covered that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »
GNR are a lock despite not really adding any spectacular to rock music aside from a handful of catchy songs.

Appetite For Destruction is easily one of the greatest rock albums of all time and is popular to this day.

..........They haven't done shit since.

I will always defend that one album, but GNR as a band are overrated as hell even taking into account how amazing that album is.

RHCP deserve to get in, I suppose. Couldn't care less that Rush weren't nominated. But yet again KISS have been passed over, and they most definitely should be in there already.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 04:01:59 AM »
Didn't Guns N Roses make THREE (not considering Axl's solo album, Chinese Democracy, a GNR album) studio albums?!?  That's bullshit!  They do not deserve RnR HOF nomination.  Especially before KISS, Maiden, Priest, Purple, Rush, Yes, Cheap Trick and countless other rock/ metal bands get in!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 04:05:58 AM »
Didn't Guns N Roses make THREE (not considering Axl's solo album, Chinese Democracy, a GNR album) studio albums?!?  That's bullshit!  They do not deserve RnR HOF nomination.  Especially before KISS, Maiden, Priest, Purple, Rush, Yes, Cheap Trick and countless other rock/ metal bands get in!

Wait..... Deep Purple aren't even in the hall of fame?!?! Now that is perhaps a bigger joke than the rest considering they're one of the earlier rock bands. I mean, how can the guy who wrote the definitive rock riff of all time not be in the rock and roll hall of fame? :lolpalm:

I know we have this exact same thread every single year, and every time everyone says the exact same thing, but I'm going to say it again. The RNR HOF is a joke.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:16 AM »
*sarcasm* Hurray *sarcasm*

It's a wonder why people still care for the RNRHOF.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 06:29:36 AM »
As much of a joke it is (I accepted that a long time ago), it's still infuriating to see the asinine "artists" nominated and selected year after year with so many artists more worthy and more ROCK get overlooked all the time.  Who are these @ssholes who vote?!?  I mean, really...  Donna Summer?!?  Eric B and Rakim?!?  What part of ROCK AND ROLL don't these people get?!?  Last I checked, Donna Summer was disco and Eric B and Rakim were rap.

Thanks to this thread, I now have that shitty "Macarthur Park" song stuck in my head.  Today at work, I will now listen to nothing but RARHOF-overlooked bands.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »
What part of ROCK AND ROLL don't these people get?!?  Last I checked, Donna Summer was disco and Eric B and Rakim were rap.

Thank you for saying what I'd hoped I wouldn't have to be the one to say.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »
Well, Donna Summer is also known a bit as a soul/R&B singer, and the Hall hasn't shied away from that stuff before.  Plus, to her credit, Love to Love You Baby was one of the first albums Steven Wilson ever heard, along with Dark Side of the Moon, so without her there'd be no PT as we know it.  :biggrin:  That's not so much of a problem.  They're sort of branching out from "Rock n Roll," since rock and pop music is just so so diverse.  Still, excluding bands as huge as KISS, or as influential as Deep Purple (especially since they kinda wrote THE hard rock riff), or as beloved as Rush is kind of silly.  But, you know, lolopinions.

Ryan, I don't think Maiden will be getting in for a long time.  They don't exactly get that widespread critical praise outside of metal circles.  I think they certainly deserve it though.  Any band that can sell out stadiums everywhere with very little radio or mainstream critical support is clearly making something special. 

But yes, the Hall of Fame is a joke.  I mean yes, you can put an objective lens on to analyze what artists had an impact and what exactly that impact WAS, but the Hall makes it a popularity contest based on lolopinions.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
When I see rock bands being inducted into the Disco, ©Rap, or R&B Hall of Fame, I'll accept the RNRHOF putting people like that in.  As you said, lolopinions.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:44 AM »
I think we all know it the Music HOF, they just slaped the "Rock" in front of it because rock rules.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
Hope Heart makes it, just on the strength of their first 5 albums. Ann Wilson deserves to be there whether the band goes with her or not, greatest female voice ever IMO.

I'm one of the ones that thought the Use Your Illusion records were great but still GNR's body of work is not impressive enough to deserve nomination.

Has this board ever done it's own Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voting? We could elect 5 bands per year or something . . .

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
Rick Roll Hall of Fame.
I AM A GUY