Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 14065 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Terra Nova
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
I've not researched or heard how Terra Nova is doing in the ratings. I'm curious as to if it will be allowed to play out a season or two. I mean, ABC gave 'V' two seasons......you'd think this show could earn that.
  The underlying conflict they've set in place with two sides pit against each other is interesting enough to me, on top of dinosaurs added with the silly love stories and character interaction....I'm pretty easily amused when it comes to anything sci fi or of that nature so I can see myself sticking with this show easily.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »
I've not researched or heard how Terra Nova is doing in the ratings. I'm curious as to if it will be allowed to play out a season or two. I mean, ABC gave 'V' two seasons......you'd think this show could earn that.
  The underlying conflict they've set in place with two sides pit against each other is interesting enough to me, on top of dinosaurs added with the silly love stories and character interaction....I'm pretty easily amused when it comes to anything sci fi or of that nature so I can see myself sticking with this show easily.

Yep...Dinosaurs are an easy sell with me.  It's too bad that they seem like a total afterthought so far...I will admit that they are the reason I tuned in in the first place.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
Just reached the first commercial break of the new episode. I like this one so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »
Thought this was a pretty good episode. I found it interesting that Jim didn't reveal the entire conversation he had with Mira to Commander Shepherd. It adds one more element of uncertainty to the situation, makes him almost the 'moral' bench mark and he appears now to be on a mission to figure out just exactly who is 'right' and who is 'wrong' or which side is 'good' and 'bad'.
   I think they are doing a good job as well adding the subtle actions with Jim and Josh that appears to be pushing them apart and leading Josh to perhaps go 'rouge'. Although, when it's all said and done and that make or break choose them or his Dad moment hits, he will make the right choice and go with family. I'd assume. Anyway, I liked the episode. It seems to be moving along nicely for me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »
My DVR cut off the last 5 minutes, I don't know if I missed anything critical to the story. Some is going to go down with the son. He's acted really sketchy the entire episode. Anyone else notice that Sky wasn't seen or mentioned once ?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
My DVR cut off the last 5 minutes, I don't know if I missed anything critical to the story. Some is going to go down with the son. He's acted really sketchy the entire episode. Anyone else notice that Sky wasn't seen or mentioned once ?
You missed Commander Shepherd ask Jim if Mira told him anything, Jim said that she really didn't like him (the Commander) that much. Shepherd said 'Tell me something I don't know, then asked very curiously...anythign else?' to which Jim said 'No'....witholding the entirety of he and Mira's conversation.
  And you are correct about Josh. The previews for next week show he and Mira meeting....and then at one point Jim telling him that there are no secrets in the family. So it does look like some internal conflict is going to begin.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Good episode...just as I was complaint to my fiancé that there are not enough Dinosaurs (and therefore consequences to leaving the colony) a dino shows up...still, I feel like the "85 million years" in the past angle is being underutilized.

I can already see the cracks of suspicion forming in the main colony.

anyone know if they have explained yet how they can communicate with the future?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »
Finally the cut the drama and went with more action and intrigue. Hope they keep going the same way.

"You are aware that I carry a gun, have a quick temper and tend to hold grudges right?"  :lol. I love him.

Anyone else notice that Sky wasn't seen or mentioned once ?

Yep. I think there was no reason for her to be there in this episode. I'm curious as to what part she will play in this whole thing. I'm not sure she is just there so that Josh has a girlfriend.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »
Finally the cut the drama and went with more action and intrigue. Hope they keep going the same way.

"You are aware that I carry a gun, have a quick temper and tend to hold grudges right?"  :lol. I love him.

Anyone else notice that Sky wasn't seen or mentioned once ?

Yep. I think there was no reason for her to be there in this episode. I'm curious as to what part she will play in this whole thing. I'm not sure she is just there so that Josh has a girlfriend.

I still think she's the spy.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
Isn't the bartender the spy? I thought that was cleared up in the previous episode.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
Isn't the bartender the spy? I thought that was cleared up in the previous episode.

Yep...and it looks like the whole "I have people on the other side" point is going to be used as the crux of a lot of these stories in regards to motivations.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »

I'm guessing there is more than one person working against Terra Nova in the compound. Who knows though, maybe she is just there to be a girlfriend. Mira does know about the son wanting to bring his girlfriend through. Maybe she'll hold her hostage with the sixers

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
I'm still leaning towards Sky as the Spy as well, simply because of how close she is with Commander Shepherd. I think she is exposed to more info. than the bartender, and that he may just be the vehicle she uses to relay the info.

Yep...and it looks like the whole "I have people on the other side" point is going to be used as the crux of a lot of these stories in regards to motivations.

That makes me wonder if perhaps Terra Nova or Commander Shepherd for that matter have someone in the sixers ranks that hasn't been let on to as of yet. Or, maybe that's an angle they could take with Josh if Jim finds out that he's been contacting them, have him infiltrate. Although the sixers would probably be a bit sketchy towards him and he'd have to do something to earn their trust.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:21 AM »
I'm gonna stick with it. As shitty as it is, something about it makes me want to watch.
:chino:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
I'm gonna stick with it. As shitty as it is, something about it makes me want to watch.
:chino:

I see what you did there.   :lol but that isn't the case with me and Avatar, I truly believe it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

To elaborate on my original comment:

The show isn't THAT good. I honestly really hate the acting, the forced dialogue, and the incredibly cheesy kiss moment between the husband and wife in the lab. I'm pretty disappointed that the time period isn't emphasized on more. I was hoping to see dinosaurs on the reg, not quite the calliber of Jurassic Park, but somewhere along those lines.

Those things aside, it's a pretty interesting show. Sure the point of the show is simple, live in the past and give humanity a fighting chance, at least that's how it's marketed. However, after the first few episodes we are still in the dark in regards to there being a greater/unknown plan. The story can go many ways. I was originally pissed that so many characters and side stories were given to us, but I think that's what has kept me watching. Initially I thought the story would be very predictable, but as time goes on, the story seems to be getting deeper and much more complex. I honestly have no definitive predictions on anything in the future of the show, other than the smart daughter will solve the mystery engraved on the rocks. I think I have gotten more into it now than a few episodes ago. I'll admit that I genuinely enjoy watching it despite its flaws. On that note I reject the last part of this quote.

Honestly... If the the guy who played Quarich from Avatar wasn't in this.... I probably would never have watched/still been watching it.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
I think this last episode was the best so far personally. Mostly because it actually had to do with the adult/main characters and the teenage love crap wasnt so prominent.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »
Anyone one what's the deal tonight because of the baseball game? The optimum app on my IPad says that it's on/allowed me to record it at 8. However, when I go to the channel guide, the world series is on...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
Anyone one what's the deal tonight because of the baseball game? The optimum app on my IPad says that it's on/allowed me to record it at 8. However, when I go to the channel guide, the world series is on...
There is no episode this week due to the Ballgame. It is next Monday.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »

>:( Why do people in the US like that sport so much anyway?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »

Or why can't it just be aired after instead of the news? It's not like Fox puts anything on thats more realistic than Terra Nova anyway...

At least this way I know I won't be missing it. This episode should be pretty interesting.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »

It's not like Fox puts anything on thats more realistic than Terra Nova anyway...

:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Well I missed last weeks because I didn't have power. I'm about to start this week's episode now. I hope I'm not too lost.

Edit* about 40 minutes in.....

This show is so terrible.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:51:34 PM by Chino »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
I'm losing more interest by the week. They really need to make something happen with this show...
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
So judging from the comments so far (because I'm not actually watching this thing), is this show suffering from the opposite problem of LOST? Like how we were saying that LOST suffered from not showing enough of people simply trying to survive their circumstances?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
So judging from the comments so far (because I'm not actually watching this thing), is this show suffering from the opposite problem of LOST? Like how we were saying that LOST suffered from not showing enough of people simply trying to survive their circumstances?
I don't know about the LOST reference (I didn't see a single episode of the show until after season 6 was released on dvd). But the show is just downright boring now. O'Mara's acting is ok and so is everyone else's as well, but I would have lost interest so much earlier if Stephen Lang wasn't a part of this show.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:33 AM »
They waste way to much time showing stuff that does nothing for the story. The father and daughter trapped in that room took up at least 10 minutes, and it contributed nothing. The girl pulling the parasite out also did nothing in regards to the plot. That kissing scene in the tree made me want to puke.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
They waste way to much time showing stuff that does nothing for the story. The father and daughter trapped in that room took up at least 10 minutes, and it contributed nothing. The girl pulling the parasite out also did nothing in regards to the plot. That kissing scene in the tree made me want to puke.

Definately. As soon as the power had gone off and the dad/daughter were still in the room, I realized that them being trapped was going to be one of the many useless plotlines.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »
I'm still happy with it I suppose. I mean, it is what it is. I'm entertained. I'm not expecting it to win emmy's or anything like that. Sure it has it's fair share of cheese but it looks like they are doing all they can to please a broad audience.

For those that did watch and see. What were those graphics that Lucas looked at coming from the box? It appeared to be schematics but they looked virus like. I couldn't quite tell.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »
I'm still happy with it I suppose. I mean, it is what it is. I'm entertained. I'm not expecting it to win emmy's or anything like that. Sure it has it's fair share of cheese but it looks like they are doing all they can to please a broad audience.

For those that did watch and see. What were those graphics that Lucas looked at coming from the box? It appeared to be schematics but they looked virus like. I couldn't quite tell.

I'm sure they have something to do with the glyphs on the rock walls.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
I like how the main story is developing so I don't mind having some filler in the episodes. I think it's pretty hard to cover all the episodes with important plot things cause eventually you will dry out similar to what happened to Lost. I love that show to no end but I admit that seasons 5 and 6 were far-fetched and I wouldn't like that to happen here.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
I'm just spoiled by Breaking Bad's writing :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »
I'm sure they have something to do with the glyphs on the rock walls.
Yeah I'm almost certain they are connected, but I was just curious as to 'what' those projected images were. The glyph etchings look like advanced scientific equations of some sort. Those images projected from the DNA activated box looked schematic, and I could have sworn one of the three looked like a magnified virus cell or something like that. I was wondering if anyone else noticed those images or what they were. Before I actually got real curious about it, I deleted the program from my DVR.

Also, one thing that did bother me was that if that main 'brain' was protected and shielded from an EMP pulse, why not have one of the chip replicators or for that matter a good supply of back up chips down there with it protected as well? Seems to me like they would have thought of something like that.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
So glad that this episode is showing some progress, even though its a little bit.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
That episode was quite good.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »
Oh money how powerful you are..
You can make a dinosaur from 1994 look way more realistic than a dinosaur from 2011, way more.
Up to episode 4.. the premise is interesting but the family is annoying as fuck. The teenage boy.. my God the teenager boy.
When the hell did appealing to Twilight pigs become a priority everywhere.
Commander Taylor is actually the only tolerable character on this show. And the father from the family (as long as none of his family are in the scene with him heh)
This has potential of being BSG kinda epic but it won't unless they abandon every single angle of the "in the family" drama.
Gonna keep watching (mainly cause the misses is watching :lol)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.