Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 14064 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Terra Nova
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
Yeah. LOST really went downhill after the incredibly awesome exotic adventure feel dissipated very early into Season 2.

Also it's incredibly hard to create a mythology from scratch that doesn't sound like complete BS.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
Wasn't totally impressed but will give it a shot for a few more episodes.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
Sky also had that talk with the military head. I think he suspects her because he asked if she went near the falls. They are obviously close, so she probably knows shit. Its alright also going to allow for a conflict with the smart girls brother. He'll have to choose between keeping her secret and telling his father who is now in security.
Already too much mythos.  It seems like every show nowadays has to have some massive, convoluted mythology driving everything.  It's cool to have that in mind, and grow into it, but it sounds like it's already past the point where you could just jump into it.  What's wrong with just making a show with some self contained stories?  Fuck, you've got families trying to live amongst dinosaurs.  There's plenty of stuff you can do, and worry about the twisted plots between the Pakuni and Sleestack until later. 

All the stuff I said is pure speculation. I could be totally wrong. Maybe the symbols have nothing to do with math, and e girlsmbrains come into use elsewhere. Maybe the kid saying they looked like geometry to purposely make us guess wrong (unlikely). There are plenty of people that could be helping the sixers. Maybe the sister said toncreate controversy within the compound. For all we know, maybe a sixer has been coming in the same way the kids got out. Perhaps the sixer in the vehicle let the kids in so they could possibly get good graces later on. We were never actually told what happened to the girls parents. We assumed they died, but maybe they defected to the sixers, or got lost coming through the portal or something. While some of the story may be obvious, I'm hoping for at least some kind of crazy plot twists. I'm gonna guess that there are more enemies that just the sixers.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
edit: Felt the same way about Lost.  Hell, a bunch of people stuck on an island is a damn fine concept for a show.  Seems like they never even bothered with that element, in favor of mysterious doings with monsters and weird fucks.

I dunno, I was still very much with it until the last couple seasons.  The characters remained interesting enough throughout in spite of later seasons laying it on thick with the mythology, and I really don't think the mythology was so heavily emphasized in the first three seasons.  In fact the whole survival on an island element was a huge part of the first season.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Which makes for more interesting television than a hokey fantasy time-traveling island backstory.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
Wait, which part of my post are you replying to? Sorry. :lol

Although I dunno, I really like mythology, just as long as they don't throw a million things at you at one time or make the mythology overshadow everything else.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
The survival element part.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
Oh, I see.  Yeah, I hear ya, but even that can get monotonous after a while.  If LOST had just been that, we would've been looking at a gritty Gilligan's Island spinoff.  I don't believe it would've lasted as long as the show we got did.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
mrs.spider, who is a pretty good judge of all things "cheezy and shit" on television watched  both of the first two episodes with our 8 year old and declared this show to be

"ok".

which means it will probably get at least a season's worth commitment out of us
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16:26 AM »
I'm about half-way through the pilot.  It's decent so far.  Anyways, as far as those asking why they traveled to the time period they traveled to, it was never explicitly stated, but it was said that scientists discover an anomalous "fracture in time and space", which leads me to believe that this time period is the only point which they can travel to.  They sent a probe through the worm-hole or whatever, but they didn't know where it ended up until they went through themselves and found it on Terra Nova.

Of course, then there's still the plot hole of how everyone who time travels remains on the same timeline; everyone who travels through would create an alternate universe, as they are traveling to a time before anyone else went through.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
I'm about 10 minutes in.  So far I've had to force myself to watch this, although the scene at the jail cell isn't that bad.

Oh also, lol CGI.  And one-dimensional characters and half-baked "emotional" scenes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:24:32 PM by Super Dude »

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
Well after Mondays episode I officially give up on this show. Horrible.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
I'm gonna stick with it. As shitty as it is, something about it makes me want to watch.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
Maybe, maybe i will give it 1 more shot. It just seemed like the last episode was just bland. I mean so they got rid of some birds LOL. I expected better if I must say.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Maybe, maybe i will give it 1 more shot. It just seemed like the last episode was just bland. I mean so they got rid of some birds LOL. I expected better if I must say.
But it was so much more. They were setting up the possibility of future tension and 'love triangle' stuff between the Dr. and her X, it's pretty clear (to me) that Sky is the leak and Sixers insider so the fact that she and the son are going to get close sets up the whole aspect of him being caught in the middle. I'll admit for a second episode it lacked 'punch' but as Chino said...there is just something about it that is making me stick with it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:09 PM »
I think it was a good change up from the first episode that did nothing but ejaculate loads of backstory and character profiles down our throats. This episode shows that there will be many other problems and even more devastation caused by the environment and not the sixers. I was slightly disappointed that we found out that the birds were there for the purpose of reproduction, and not part of a mass migration of a whole bunch of species. I was hoping to see some truly epic beasts coming through the area in large numbers. Who knows though, maybe the humans fucking with the birds ability to reproduce will have some sort of negative or an even more devastating outcome than if they had not driven them away.  That's a stretch though.

It actually made me rethink who the leak is as well. That security guy that likes the smart daughter (still don't know her name) seems really shady. It's possible that in the future episode he will take her out of the compound and she will be exposed to the rocks that way. Sky just seems too innocent, and it would be stupid of her to get involved with the son (forgot his name too) while trying to hide that big of a secret. Either that or he has changed her mind for the greater good, resulting in us finding out later when a sixer spills the beans that she used to be up to no good.

I don't get what the point of that other guy was, the one that came in the fifth pilgrimage and used to date the wife. I'm guessing we will be seeing more of him, probably for the sake of causing some heated drama between the husband and wife. I'm betting we get to see him die at some point later on.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
Ok you guys convinced me. I will still give it another shot. yes there are some things that they may be able to run with. I just hope it does not go the way of something like Lost where there is just so much bullshit underlying back stories. Just give me a quality story, some cool fuckin dino's, some eye candy (hehe) and I am good. I am not looking for Shakespeare writing or Oscar winning acting. Give me an hour long show each week that I can just say , hey, that is cool and make me want to wtch the following week.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »

I don't get what the point of that other guy was, the one that came in the fifth pilgrimage and used to date the wife. I'm guessing we will be seeing more of him, probably for the sake of causing some heated drama between the husband and wife. I'm betting we get to see him die at some point later on.
I'd agree with that as being spot on. And, he will most likely bite it doing something 'noble' to save everyone else or maybe just the husband.
  I can see your point about the young soldier. They do have him acting kind of peculiar. Maybe the sixers are aware of the daughters mathmatical abilities. Good point about Sky as well. But for as 'shady' as the young soldier acts, they have her acting the same way. There is something else about her we don't know. Maybe she's shagging the General. ha ha ha. In the pilot I remember a scene when the Sixers leader and the Generals #1 guy (his daughter was mauled in the first episode) they shared a 'glance' that they made sure was noticed and it was noticed by the cop (I haven't set these names to memory yet) Perhaps #1 is the leak.
  I hope it's revealed sooner than later...that could get kind of lame week after week. The previews for next weeks episode immediately reminded me of a storyline you may find on any of the spin offs of Stargate. Looks like it has potential.

Side note: A co-worker and I were discussing  and trying to figure out just what purpose the fabric draped from the ceiling in the housed serves? Strictly asthetic or is there some sort of use that we just aren't smart enough to figure out. It's a small detail but it's bugging the heck out of me.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
some eye candy (hehe)
I think the wife is HOT! And 'Sky' ain't too bad either.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
Not gonna argue that! :tup
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
I think sky is s slut.

That being said... I thought I had about the portal they used to come through. Say someone tied one end of a rope around their waist, and the other end around someone else's waist, walked through. Would the rope appear to floating in mid air behind the first person? Or since the the back half of the rope does not exist in the past, would it just cut itself in half and fall to the ground? If the second option were to be true, that would mean that no human could survive going through it.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
I just finished the first episode. I dont know how I feel about it yet, but it was...decent.

I like the concept, and the cgi is whatever. I would have more interest in their "day-to-day life/survival" rather than all this conspiracy stuff. And I HATE forced teen romances.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
Honestly... If the the guy who played Quarich from Avatar wasn't in this.... I probably would never have watched/still been watching it.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
Honestly... If the the guy who played Quarich from Avatar wasn't in this.... I probably would never have watched/still been watching it.

Haha same
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
I think this show is good. The pilot left me very interested and the third episode (second week) still kept my interest. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
God damn it. Glad I checked my DVR. It's 9:20pm. I went to watch thennew episode which started at 8:00. The ball game went to 13 innings and Terra Nova got delayed 50 minutes. I recorded the first 10, but then the DVR stopped recording. I went to fox and started recording where ever the episode is now, but I'm going to miss good 15 minute chunk in the first half hour some where. I shake my fist in anger for there not being a way to avoid this.

** edit. **

Alright.... This episode is fucking terrible.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:55:36 PM by Chino »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »

That bad? I haven't watched it yet. I think as in Lost, I'll still watch some episodes until they start revealing interesting stuff. Then if that does not out weight all the bullshit drama I'll quit.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »

That bad? I haven't watched it yet. I think as in Lost, I'll still watch some episodes until they start revealing interesting stuff. Then if that does not out weight all the bullshit drama I'll quit.

Well the first 95% of the episode was pointless and literally contributed nothing to the story. The last 5% made me want to keep watching.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
I thought the episode was good. Got pissed that the baseball game delayed the show, though.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
I just finished watching the las episode. It was boring. I hope they can take it up a notch.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Watched the first episode. Shit acting, retarded plot, stupid characters, awful effects.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
Just watched the third episode on Hula. Went to watch it last night on the DVR and realized what Chino had said. Ballgame jacked everything up.
  It was an ehhh episode. I know they all can't be fantastic but my issue is that this type of 'problem' to be solved in an hour....the memory loss thing....has been done to death.....mainly in any one of the SyFy series. There's not a whole lot new you can do with it unless a series grew a pair and just had those infected be infected and wrote off.
  I mean, how cool / unexpected would that be if the Major and the wife would have just wandered off into the jungle never to be heard of again until like a season 4 finale? At least we got a glimpse of how the 'underground' aspect of communication between the sixers and Terra Nova. Who would have thought a shady bar owner would be playing both sides :(
  This episode did not turn me off enough not to keep watching, just made me realize that they are probably going to stick with this mantra of only making plot moving revelations in the last minute and touch on it here and there.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »
Just watched the third episode on Hula. Went to watch it last night on the DVR and realized what Chino had said. Ballgame jacked everything up.
  It was an ehhh episode. I know they all can't be fantastic but my issue is that this type of 'problem' to be solved in an hour....the memory loss thing....has been done to death.....mainly in any one of the SyFy series. There's not a whole lot new you can do with it unless a series grew a pair and just had those infected be infected and wrote off.
  I mean, how cool / unexpected would that be if the Major and the wife would have just wandered off into the jungle never to be heard of again until like a season 4 finale? At least we got a glimpse of how the 'underground' aspect of communication between the sixers and Terra Nova. Who would have thought a shady bar owner would be playing both sides :(
  This episode did not turn me off enough not to keep watching, just made me realize that they are probably going to stick with this mantra of only making plot moving revelations in the last minute and touch on it here and there.

I am hoping it may turn out to be like Fringe. Every season began with some random stuff happening and ended with the plot moving revelations, but then at some point they start throwing in chapters that are purely related to the plot mixed with some filler episodes.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
It was like if the Flintstone wasnt a cartoon... the girl who played Betty was great
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
I "like" it so far...giving it a shot because of the Braga/ST connection...after three episodes I think there are some good elements and some underdeveloped themes...I feel like it could go in a few different directions but I will give it a season to see how they shake it out.