Author Topic: Terra Nova  (Read 14068 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Terra Nova
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:29:04 PM »
Anyone watch the premier tonight? I DVR'd it and I'm about 4 minutes. It's pretty terrible.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Terra Nova
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
I'm 12 years old and can't bother to Google it. 

What's it?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
Did they explain why they couldn't just go back in time to, I dunno, not dinosaur time?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
Did they explain why they couldn't just go back in time to, I dunno, not dinosaur time?
No, they did explain how they are 85 million years in the past without damaging the future.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
I'm 12 years old and can't bother to Google it. 

This phrase bears a striking resemblance to something hilarious :lol

As for the show....it certainly sounds bad. Like a dinotopia gone wrong.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »
It just looks like a cheesy Fox show... No interest
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
The acting on this show is absolutely terrible. Maybe I missed something while typing my first post... But why are they back in time? Is it to lower the population in the present?

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »
The acting on this show is absolutely terrible. Maybe I missed something while typing my first post... But why are they back in time? Is it to lower the population in the present?

Overpopulation and bad air quality. Sounds like they're just shipping people back in time to try and relieve the population problems in 21XX.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
Only seen the commercials.  Actually looks like a pretty good concept, but I suspect it'll be beyond shitty.  No interest in even finding out.

I am kind of curious about that whole screwing with the timeline thing, though.  Hell,  even the Simpsons understand that. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
Wouldn't it make much more sense just to travel back to the 1900s or 2000s and coerce the national governments to enact mandatory population control acts?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
I am kind of curious about that whole screwing with the timeline thing, though.  Hell,  even the Simpsons understand that.

Oh, I wish, I wish I hadn't killed that fish.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
And aside from that whole dinosaurs eating people problem,  why would they go back to a time right before the event that killed the dinosaurs and 85% of all life on Earth?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
Only seen the commercials.  Actually looks like a pretty good concept, but I suspect it'll be beyond shitty.  No interest in even finding out.

Ian actually staring to really like the concept. I think e timeline doesn't follow BTTF rules.

Wouldn't it make much more sense just to travel back to the 1900s or 2000s and coerce the national governments to enact mandatory population control acts?

I think they wanted the completely restart human history. Preventing pollution and implementing population control starting in the early 1900s wouldn't have been enough.the main guy (colonel from Avatar) mentioned greed and war as a problem of humanity. I think they are to restart human history without those elements from the very beginning.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
And aside from that whole dinosaurs eating people problem,  why would they go back to a time right before the event that killed the dinosaurs and 85% of all life on Earth?
:rollin :rollin

That's a really good point.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:46 PM »
Humanity without greed and war?

Unlikely.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
The two kids just wondered out of the restricted area... They must not have ever seen the lion king

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »

This. I just saw a commercial for it in Spanish here in Argentina and I wouldn't dream of watching it in English, much less Spanish.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Just finished watching the premiere. I actually thought it started off pretty interesting within the first 10 - 15 minutes, but then I steadily started losing interest, and by the end there was nothing really compelling about it to me. I don't see this show lasting, though the effects were good, that's not going to bring me back to watch the next episode. I have similar thoughts on Person of Interest, my main gripe with that one is I'm tired of these fucking INVINCIBLE main characters who know all the Kung Fu moves ever and can walk into a room full of guys pointing their guns at them and completely flip the situation around every single time. A big meh to both premieres to be honest.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
I'm going to watch the pilot eventually, but I don't have high hopes at all.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 04:54:21 AM »
Just finished watching the premiere. I actually thought it started off pretty interesting within the first 10 - 15 minutes, but then I steadily started losing interest, and by the end there was nothing really compelling about it to me. I don't see this show lasting, though the effects were good, that's not going to bring me back to watch the next episode. I have similar thoughts on Person of Interest, my main gripe with that one is I'm tired of these fucking INVINCIBLE main characters who know all the Kung Fu moves ever and can walk into a room full of guys pointing their guns at them and completely flip the situation around every single time. A big meh to both premieres to be honest.

I was thenexact opposite. I hated it at first, but toward the end I kind of dug the show. I thought the effects were pretty lame for the most part. I'm really curious as to what the markings on those rocks near the falls were all about.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 05:02:15 AM »

Weird that they'd go back to a time when there were large hungry dinosaurs around, but if wikipedia's quote of "85 million years back in time" is right, they'd have a loooong time to pack up before the extinct event happened.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 05:26:49 AM »
Quote from: Chino

I think they wanted the completely restart human history. Preventing pollution and implementing population control starting in the early 1900s wouldn't have been enough.the main guy (colonel from Avatar) mentioned greed and war as a problem of humanity. I think they are to restart human history without those elements from the very beginning.

Well, good luck changing human nature LOL.

I was thenexact opposite. I hated it at first, but toward the end I kind of dug the show. I thought the effects were pretty lame for the most part. I'm really curious as to what the markings on those rocks near the falls were all about.

Naw dude don't do it, that's how they reel you in! :dangerwillrobinson:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »

Weird that they'd go back to a time when there were large hungry dinosaurs around, but if wikipedia's quote of "85 million years back in time" is right, they'd have a loooong time to pack up before the extinct event happened.

It was said many times that it's a one way trip.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:50 AM »
Well still, they got a good 20 million years until extinction. That's a length of time something like 4000 times longer than the entirety of human civilization up to this point, so they'll either be so long dead or so far advanced that it wouldn't really matter :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »
And when they went back in time, they go to a different time stream than the one they were currently living in in 2149. So maybe the extinction event doesn't ever happen.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
Watched it. And for as cheesy as some of the acting is and the 'just' good enough effects not to be on the SyFy channel....I liked it. But I am a huge sucker for Sci Fi concepts. I think they took a safe and easy way out when explaining away the time travel....much simpler just to say 'oh...this is a completely seperate time rift' than have to deal with the "butterfly effect".
  I didn't see it mentioned yet but they could not and can not control where in time that rift that just appeared sent them, that's why it ended up in dino time and not a more suitable time in history.
  Like Chino, I thought the markings on the rocks that were carved there by an insane genius who happens to be the son of the Military Leader was a decent enough 'hook' to keep me interested. My largest gripe about the pilot is that there was just so much stuff jammed into two hours. It felt like they expect to be cancelled after 6 episodes so lets just get nuts and throw it all in there. I'm always down for an exciting pilot...but man they packed this thing.
   As I said, I'm a complete sucker for any show Si Fi so I'll be watching until they pull the plug.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
   As I said, I'm a complete sucker for any show Si Fi so I'll be watching until they pull the plug.
the markings on the rocks that were carved there by an insane genius who happens to be the son of the Military Leader

I generally dislike SiFi with the exception of a few things. This show is kind of interesting to me though. I initially thought I was going to hate it. I'm guessing that those markings on the rocks have something to do with a way back to the timeline they came from or into another timeline from that one, either of which opens a door allowing you to come and go as you please. I don't think the markings were made by the miltary leader's son. I'm willing to bet that he is a sixer. That would explain why he doesn't just kill them (seeing as they threaten the entire point of the operation). It may also explain why he gave them the prisoner and medical care. He doesn't want his son to die. In regards to his son gone missing, he said something like "there's always hope". I think he means hope that he stops going rogue and cooperates, not that he survives.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »

I don't think the markings were made by the miltary leader's son.

In regards to his son gone missing, he said something like "there's always hope". I think he means hope that he stops going rogue and cooperates, not that he survives.
I thought in the last scence when the leader of the sixers and the man she saved were hovering above the markings shining thier light on them...in thier conversation he said "Why does that insane man come out and carve these onto the rocks?" Then she said "Maybe it's just his way to get back at his Father?" (Not the verbatim conversation but close) That left me with the impression that the Generals son was the one responsible for carving those equations.
   I think it'd be a lot more interesting if they weren't, if they were just some 'ancient' type heiroglyphs. But I got the impression it was the Generals kid. Which wouldn't you know it..coincedentally the daughter who just showed up happens to be some sort of mathmatical genius...how convinient. How long until she is exposed to the equations and begins to decipher them?
   Even though it's not a new idea, I like how they are going to present the sixers as the 'enemy' but slowly start to introduce evidence that maybe they aren't the enemy and Terra Nova is. Nothing ground breaking in that story but if it has a solid story behind it and some unique criteria and mystery it could be cool.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »
Hahah. I must have fallen asleep during the last commercial break. I guess that throws my theory way off. The smart daughter pisses me off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
Hahah. I must have fallen asleep during the last commercial break. I guess that throws my theory way off. The smart daughter pisses me off.
What always gets me about characters written like that is inevitably...she is going to see those equations and solve them and figure it out. It won't be one of the genius people at Terra Nova...it'll be the 14 year old girl. I understand 'why' that always happens in these shows...but it drives me crazy.
  On a side note: since it's been implied there is a spy in Terra Nova my two guesses are the Generals Right hand man...just by the look he gave the leader of the sixers when she was in camp, or the young girl Sky due to the fact that sixer let her and the kids in the vehicle once he heard her say her name was Sky.
 I guess I'm more into this show than I thought I was ;D

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
Sky also had that talk with the military head. I think he suspects her because he asked if she went near the falls. They are obviously close, so she probably knows shit. Its alright also going to allow for a conflict with the smart girls brother. He'll have to choose between keeping her secret and telling his father who is now in security.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »

It was said many times that it's a one way trip.

Aaah. I haven't watched the premiere.

What Edan said, also.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Sky also had that talk with the military head. I think he suspects her because he asked if she went near the falls. They are obviously close, so she probably knows shit. Its alright also going to allow for a conflict with the smart girls brother. He'll have to choose between keeping her secret and telling his father who is now in security.
Already too much mythos.  It seems like every show nowadays has to have some massive, convoluted mythology driving everything.  It's cool to have that in mind, and grow into it, but it sounds like it's already past the point where you could just jump into it.  What's wrong with just making a show with some self contained stories?  Fuck, you've got families trying to live amongst dinosaurs.  There's plenty of stuff you can do, and worry about the twisted plots between the Pakuni and Sleestack until later. 

edit: Felt the same way about Lost.  Hell, a bunch of people stuck on an island is a damn fine concept for a show.  Seems like they never even bothered with that element, in favor of mysterious doings with monsters and weird fucks.
E.F. Benson