1 (0.5%)
1.5 - Bad
0 (0%)
1 - Really Bad
0 (0%)
.5 - Detrimental to Health
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Rate and Answer Some Questions on ADTOE - Two Weeks Later  (Read 2932 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Rate and Answer Some Questions on ADTOE - Two Weeks Later
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events has now been out for almost two weeks. While it's impossible to truly tell how well it has aged until a year or two down the line, by now, we have all probably had it long enough that we are familiar with it.

I'm interested to see how everyone rates it. Also, here are some questions I think would be cool:

1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped?

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them?

3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite?

4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: Rate and Answer Some Questions on ADTOE - Two Weeks Later
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
I still think it's incredible. I never claimed it was the best. But it's certainly up there. I gave it a 5, and I'm excited about the future.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
1) It's better
2) Well, I hoped for more JLB lyrics but at least he did have more input overall in the writing so I can't complain too much
3) Outcry, Beneath the Surface, Breaking All Illusions for sure.  There are others but those stand out for me now.
4) Risen to new heights.  I have a whole new respect for them and how they handled the shake up.  I was so psyched for this I did a few things I've never done: 1) splurged on the box set 2) splurged on the Meet & Greet tickets.  I have never been more excited for the band

Offline mocool13

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events has now been out for almost two weeks. While it's impossible to truly tell how well it has aged until a year or two down the line, by now, we have all probably had it long enough that we are familiar with it.

I'm interested to see how everyone rates it. Also, here are some questions I think would be cool:

1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped? Yes

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them? JR playing more tastefully and adding more to the atmosphere. check!

3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite? BITS, Outcry, BAI

4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE? Optimistic. I want to see how the band writes with MM.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
I gave it a 4 but just because I want MM to be more involved in the creative process. Also many of the songs are still growing on me, and I think there's too many ballads.  I have this huge feeling thT the next album will blow this one out of the water.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »
4.5/5

1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped? - Yes. It had all of the elements of DT that I love without the ones I disliked/hated.

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them? Yes. They got rid of trying to ape other bands or styles that don't fit in with the DT mold.

3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite? Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions. These two songs are in a class of their own. Which is really cool because one is very metal and one is very proggy.

4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE?

New heights? Hmm...I think they've more gone back to where they should've been after Octavarium. No new lows. I am very optimistic about their future; the bands seems rejuvenated and fresh and ready to make more history.I do think of them differently, but improved in that regard.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
I think it's great. It took a few listens, but right now I'm in the honeymoon phase with it, and all I want to do is play the album over and over again.

1. I suppose it's as good as I hoped, but in a different way. It's still very familiar sounding, which is one of my only complaints of the album; I love the different stuff they tried, I would have loved to hear more. However, I didn't expect the album to sound the way it did. This is most balanced DT album in a while, and I'm very pleased with that.

2. Stylistically, I wanted DT to branch out a bit more on ADTOE. They did, but I would have loved to hear more. I wish the band had more confidence in themselves to put out a "different" album. That being said, I appreciate the breadth of music they covered on ADTOE.

3. Hard question. ADTOE is strange in that I like all of the songs on the album (save for Beneath the Surface), but I can't see them measuring up to some of DT's best stuff. It's still early, so this will likely change in time, but at the moment most of  the songs are just "great", but not "godlike" or anything.

4. Not sure how I feel about DT in the long run. This is a great album, which has renewed my appreciation for DT, as most new albums do. However, I'm more curious about their future then ever. I'm excited about the writing methods they used for this album, but overall I feel like the band is nearing it's end. I can just feel it with this album that they have almost reached their tipping point. I hope that that isn't the case, but at the moment I'm skeptical about where the band will go from here...
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
1) At first, no... But it has started to grow now, and it may be the best since SFAM in my opinion. I think the drums are too low in the mix though, but it does create a new sound that is a little bit refreshing as well.

2) Yes. No more metallica rip-off riffs etc. I like that metallica has inspired them, but for instance "a rite of passage" sounded way too metallica.

In general, I like the fact that the metal-feel isn't as present as it has been on the previous albums.  :tup

3) Too early to say. BITS and BAI may get into the top 20.

4) Right now, I don't feel that they have improved that much. But I like that they are moving a little bit away from the heaviest stuff.

When I listen to ADTOE I get the feeling that their sources of inspiration are only themselves and that ADTOE is kind of a mixture between IAW and scenes from a memory, musically. Which means that I get the feeling I've heard much of it before which isn't really positive. I don't feel the same way about any other DT album.
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
I gave it a 5. It's a classic DT album for me, up there with their best.

My answers to the questions:

1) Yes, exactly as good as i hoped. Wanted to get a classic DT album and i got one.
2) Yes, they got rid of cheesy lyrics, songs highly inspired by other bands, going a bit too far with solo tradeoffs, they also took a less metal approach to the songs... the production of the album is much better as well.
3) BAI is a top 5 DT song for me, BITS would probably be placed in the top 15 if i made a list right now.
4)I am very optimistic about their future, much more than i was a few years ago

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
I gave it a 4.5 because I don't think it has really earned a perfect rating thus far.

1. I consider the quality of this album to be very similar to Awake. It is VERY GOOD, all the way through. Definitely up there as a top 3 album Not a song on here that I can say I dislike. Over time my opinion will probably change, and it may grow on me even more and compete with SFAM and I&W.
2. Like others have said, I like how the band has somewhat 'returned to their roots' while also incorporating new and exciting ideas. I also like the technical aspect of this album, and the progressiveness, yet nothing feels overdone. I like that it doesn't feel metal like SC.
3. I would say its too early to say for sure which songs could eventually be labeled as a 'classic' up there with Learning to Live, Metropolis, and ACOS. Returning to the Awake comparison, I feel like the whole album is consistently great. However, while there aren't any low points, there aren't any SUPER high points either (with the exception of BAI, which is a top 10 song for me at the moment).
4. I really like the direction they are headed in now, and I'm super excited about the future of the band. I look forward to seeing how the next album will turn out with Mangini more involved in the songwriting process.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
Rated it a 4, tentatively.  Still not sure where it'll settle in the long run.

1. Yes.

2. I didn't really have specific hopes for style changes, so, no.  But I am satisfied with the style changes they did make.

3. Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions, and Beneath the Surface are all songs that I think will worm their way into my top 20 DT songs.  Still not sure I can call any of them top 10 material just yet, though, so I'm not sure about whether to call them 'elite'.  They're damn good, though.

4. I'm certainly optimistic for the future.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »
1.) It's as good as, if not better than, I expected.
2.) Yeah, they went from attempting "Modern heavy metal  :metal" (lol) to successfully creating a good, modern, progressive album.
3.) BITS is of their best metal songs, and BAI is of their best epic songs.
4,) It's a return to the quality that was present on albums like SFAM and SDOIT. I'm definitely looking forward to future new releases, and I now think they actually have the potential to create new all-around solid albums, unlike their previous couple of releases which had a wide range in the quality of songs(some bad, some great).

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
1) I hoped for more.
2) Some yes, some no.  More piano, less cringe-worthy elements, less randomness (to an extent).  Still some major problems with the compositions.
3) No.
4) I am less pessimistic about their future output.  There's a lot to like; just the kinks have to be ironed out, imo.

Voted 2.5 / 5.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline j

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
I think I'd give the album a 4/5 on the TOX scale at this point.

It surpassed my expectations.

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them?

Some, yes.  I do wish they would get outside of their little prog-metal bubble more, but at least they are doing a lot of different things within it on this album.

Still too early for me to say, but BiTS, BAI, and possibly BTS all seem to have what it takes.

It didn't break much new ground or anything, but it's really a quality album that is a big step in the right direction when compared to the last few, IMO.  I continue to be impressed by it and I think the guys still have a lot left in them.

-J

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »

1) Definitely. I was hoping for a solid DT album with songs I'd want to play all the time. I got that, and much more.

2) I wasn't as perturbed by the past few albums as some people, but I definitely welcomed the hearkening back to I&W roots and an overall sound reminiscent of SDOIT/SFAM. 

3) Beneath the Surface, Breaking All Illusions, Bridges in the Sky.

4) Incredibly optimistic about the future-- they definitely have it in them to continue on writing masterpieces, and with Mangini involved next time, we're bound to get something even more incredible.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

1) It's better. I kept my expectations in check, not because of MP's departure, but because the last three albums haven't appealed to me too much.
2) Yup. Less wannabe tough-guy metal, mostly better lyrics, instrumental sections that remind me of pre-SDOIT, more tasteful keyboards, louder bass, songs not sounding like a bunch of other bands.
3) Beneath the Surface, Breaking All Illusions, Lost Not Forgotten
4) I'm optimistic. It was critical that they make a good album now, and they did. If it had been more of the same old stuff, I would have lost interest in the band. Mangini fits the group very well.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »

1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped? Yes.

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them? Yes they did. They stopped trying to sound like other bands, and stopped making mediocre music.. Although that could be due to... You know.

3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite? Most of them.

4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE? They made an awesome album from start to finish. Something that hasn't happened in a long time. The band is standing high, and back to kicking ass, so yeah they rose to new heights again. Very optimistic. I only think of them differently because I'm happy with what they are doing again. Systematic Chaos isn't all bad, and Black Clouds is half good, but I wanted them to make music like what they've gone back to with ADTOE.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
1) Yes.
2) Definitely a retro direction on this album, without losing the modern influences their more recent material has. I like it.
3) FFH/BAI will definitely end up being top 10 material. Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges, and Beneath the Surface are all extremely cool tunes which I wouldn't necessarily call "elite" but hold up well to any number of DT's great songs. T
4) Had the direction SC and BC&SL hinted at taking actually took, my opinion of DT would probably plummet. This album quickly reversed what I saw as being that trend.

Offline hacko

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

1) Yes.
2) Totally!
3) Yes, BAI is definitely elite material.
4) I'd say the future is very promising if they look to this as new foundations without getting stuck.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
I voted for "great".
1). It is as good as I hoped. But so was BCASL and SC. The reason they're my favourite band is because they've yet to let me down with each new album.

2). There weren't any changes I wanted. But they made some changes, and they turned out fine.

3). At this stage, not quite. LNF, BITS and TITL are contenders, but right now I don't think they can edge into my top 20.

4). They haven't really risen or fallen yet, although I'm optimistic they're on a rise, especially come future albums with the new line up.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I chose 5.
It is such an incredible feeling to look at the poll results...
Not a single person chose any of the negative options.. And, just read what the fans are saying about it! It is almost like it isn't even an opinion that A Dramatic Turn of Events is an incredible album and a giant leap in the right direction, it's pretty much like a fact!

1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped? Yes. And, I would say more than I had hoped.

2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them?  Yes, they made several note-worthy changes that most of us can agree on.

3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite? Bridges in The Sky, Lost Not Forgotten, On The Backs of Angles, Far From Heaven/ Breaking All Illusions, and even Build Me Up, Break Me Down... That's pretty much the whole album!

4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE? However much I adore Black Clouds & Silver Linings, I still  think that they were getting a little too... They were just straying from the path they had set a little too much, and it was very apparent that the fans wanted a change, and that Dream Theater needed a change to survive much longer. And, this album was a breath of fresh air to everyone involved. I am very optimistic to see what the future holds.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »

Yes.

I can't think of any specific changes per se (other than getting rid of some of those tough guy vocals they have tried in recent years, but I figured those would go bye-bye since Portnoy was gone), but I am more than happy with the new things they tried on this record.

Still too early to say, but Bridges in the Sky could easily be a top 20 DT song for me assuming it ages well, and This is the Life and Breaking All Illusions might not be far behind.

Optimistic.  Portnoy leaving really has shown that the band had a lot of untapped creativity that will now be allowed to flow freely.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »

1) it's even better than i hoped.

2) i wanted them to get back to their prog metal roots and thats exactly what they did on this album with the exception of build me up. i never really wanted them to stray too far from the kinda music they made on images, change of seasons, some of awake and some of scenes.

3) angels, lost not forgotten, outcry, far from heaven + illusions (as one unit), and possibly bridges i believe are all in the DT elite.

4) in reaching back to their more prog metal roots the band has actually moved forward. they got a LOT more technical rhythmically which i think is cool at this stage in their careers. mangini is technically far beyond portnoy and that leaves the band with more possibilities. petrucci has continued to get better and has been incorporating more techniques (his sweeping keeps getting better). hes also playing more chromatically in some ares (lost not forgotten). hes like a riff machine and always manages to keep things fresh. he also did a killer solo on breaking all illusions and deserves all the credit in the world. at this point i think this band is the best its been in a long ass time. this cd was AMAZING and far better than a lot of the watered down metal tunes they wrote on previous albums.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »
I voted 4.5 which means that I think it's great, not masterful :P

- Well, yes and no. I was hoping for more epicness like the ending of TCOT or The Grand Finale or Finally Free. I get some great things instead, great instrumental parts, great choruses (one of them is the best of all I think... one of the greatest moments in DT music - transition in BITS when JLB signs Shaman take my haaaaaaand is so incredible...)

- Yes, They let go the heavy side and let more mellow and I&W sound into Their music, not too many but I can see some parts that are totally backing to old best times ;)

- Yep, Lost Not Forgottem is a real badass song. You cam feel the desert and sand when You're listen to it.
- Brigdes In The Sky, so energy, so power  ;D and it has too greatest moments in DT history ;)

- I think it's a little different band now. I hope for more MM on next record, I would like to see His creativity and I would really mix him a little bit louder. ADTOE is a album with great song, live killers also (LNF,OTBOA, OUTCRY,BITS...) So I think fans will really love this album, even if it's not the best, but a very very good step for very perfect DT12 album :)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:28 AM »
I gave a 4. I think its a very good album, but not as good as their masterpieces. Great improvement from the last records though.

I think it is, if only the drums were a little more prominent both in the mix and playing wise. But it sure as good as i hoped.

Yeah, i wanted less pointless solos and more atmospheric keyboards, and the new album had both. Also more JM which is always a welcome addition.

Bridges In The Sky, Outcry, Breaking All Illusions, On The Backs Of Angels.

I guess they played it safe with this album, so most long time fans would be pleased, we still have to see if they will attract new fans. But they seem happy with the current situation, so i'm optimistic, considering that MM will probably be more involved in the next album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
I had pretty high expectations for it, and I think it more or less delivered. So, yes.

Yeah. I've always liked Dream Theater's metal side, but for the longest time I've wanted that to be more Iron Maiden and Queensryche and less Metallica and Pantera. I feel this album accomplishes that. Also, I wanted instrumental sections instead of solo spots, which I also got.

Bridges in the Sky is easily a top ten song for me, and many others are top 20 material. I'm not sure if there's a top 5 song here. Maybe in time there will be.

In my opinion, DT has "regrouped". They've gone steadily further from their core sound over the last two albums, and with this album they managed to reign the things about their new sound that "worked" in with their core sound. They did a good job. I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 04:57:25 AM »
2.5 and I'm being kind.

Couldn't get into it and I still can't.  I'm officially disappointed.  :-\
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline deslock

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:02 AM »

1. Better.

2. Yes: more intense prog-metal-fusion playing, better lyrics (less story telling), less angry singing, less meledramatic singing (at least on the good songs), fewer cheesy choruses (overall better use of LaBrie's style).

3. At least tracks 8 and 5.  Maybe 1, 3, and 6 too.

4. It's a little early to say whether they've risen to new heights as I'm still absorbing ADTOE, but it's currently my favorite DT album.  Nothing since IAW has even come close... for the first time, I feel they have two landmark albums instead of one.  I'm optimistic about their future.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:33:22 AM by deslock »

Offline Addy

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »
1) Question is not whether it's good as I hoped or not, it's more like - is it better than I thought I'd be. And I guess it is !

2) Yes. I love DT mainly because of their prog side and I love their 90's stuff especially. That being said, getting back to those elements and getting rid of trying to be modern, too heavy, maybe even mainstream in some way is great for me.

3) I can definitely see one of these songs: Breaking All Illusions, Outcry, Bridges in the Sky (and maybe even Beneath the Surface) becoming a classic.

4) I think that getting back to being progressive means they may have less commercial success in the future. Maybe ADToE's lower chart position comparing to BC&SL  is somehow a symptom of that. But at the same time I think that they've got back a lot of old fans who stopped supporting the band in past few years. I think that ADToE is their strongest album since 6DOIT that's being topped only by SFAM, I&W and Awake. However, if the chemistry within DT will be as good as it is now, if they let Genie contribute during writing and if they will again take even more of their time to write the new material I can see  their future album make it in the top 3.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
1) Yes, actually it's even better than I had expected! :metal

2) Yes, I had wished they'd make a less heavy album (despite the fact that I'm a metalhead) and write more to-the-point songs.

3) Yes: Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions, Beneath the Surface...

4) I'm feeling very positive about their future. Before hearing ADTOE I thought "they're still great but they can never reach the great quality of I&W and Awake", but now they've made a top 3 album, and if the next album ends up even better, I'm happy!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
Best release from Dream Theater in a decade as far as I'm concerned.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
1) Is ADTOE as good as you hoped? It Has actually surpassed my expectations. I had hoped for an album with one, maybe two songs that I would really be in to and enjoy. There are no ‘filler’ songs on this album for me and I enjoy them all.
2) If there were certain changes you wanted Dream Theater to make style-wise, did they make them? I was hoping they’d drop the wanna’ be heavy metal shtick and get back to their progressive roots, which they have done. Not that those heavy elements aren’t there, they are, but they are just pieces of a greater concept….not focal points as they had become.
3) Does ADTOE have any songs that you would consider a part of the DT elite? Like a lot of people I find that BITS and BAI are songs that are in that ‘special’ category. BAI in particular for me is one of my all time favorite DT songs already.
4) How does ADTOE affect the band's standing, in your opinion? Have they risen to new heights? Have they sunk to new lows? Are you optimistic about their future? Are you pessimistic about their future? Do you think of them differently than you used to because of ADTOE? I am a DT fanboy so DT’s standing has never really faltered with me. I’ve always found at least one song an album that I identify with and keeps me coming back to them. ADTOE has merely solidified my fanboyishness, and given me a greater hope for their future. Risen to new heights?.....Nothing that ‘dramatic’ as I don’t feel like they even need to rise to anything. If they can continue along the vein of this album and give me/us music that is DT and not try and be some other band, I’d be perfectly fine. I don’t need a reinvented DT….I just need DT to be DT. I am very optimistic about their future as I feel with the expulsion of MP and addition of MM they have changed their environment for the better both personally for them and musically for us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »

It's better than I thought it was going to be, actually.  Way better.

Well, I really appreciate the fact that they moved back into a more progressive style, the metal version of Dream Theater was becoming quite stale to me.

"Breaking All Illusions" is mind-blowing.
I am very optimistic about the future because I honestly did not think Dream Theater had another album this good in them.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »

Actually, yes. I had high hopes for this one, and they really delivered.

Yes, they cut back on the in-your-face metal and went back to a more epic, soaring feel - kind of like Images, Awake, and SFAM. The production and the mix sounds better than on the past few albums. John Myung is more audible, and James sings better than since Awake. The songwriting process went back into a more group oriented direction, and I think it shows.

Bridges In The Sky, Breaking All Illusions, and Beneath The Surface. Those three I think rise above the rest, and will stand alongside the best of them in their discography.

They had some high expectations coming into this one, with a new chapter in their career. They really delivered the goods, and they seem to be stronger than ever. I am really optimistic about their future, they've only played with Mike Mangini for a few months. I can only wonder what they will achieve once they've played with him for a longer time. I am interested in what he can bring to the table when it comes to songwriting.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Way better, and my hopes were quite high.

Yes. The music sounds a lot like their old selves, influenced by their later albums.

Many of them.

I'm not quite sure they got to new heights with this album, maybe they did when it comes to songwriting. But they proved that they can make songs that are as awesome as their best ones after so much time, and that alone makes me incredibly optimistic about the future. A lot of this optimism was once lost with SC and BCSL, because while I do like and appreciate these two albums, they're my least favorite ones by DT. This one, though, might actually be my favorite (at the very least top 3).