Author Topic: John Petrucci last night at the Luna Park DVD screening on Long Island, NY!  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
John Petrucci was at the screening last night of the Live at Luna Park DVD at Island 16 on Long Island, NY.  The movie theater was like 3/4 full and there seemed to be a lot of his family members there.  It was kinda cool watching the DVD for the first time with the Petrucci family around me.  People were hooting and clapping after every solo and every song, and John got a standing ovation at the end of the screening.

Anyway, John was waiting in the lobby and talking with fans before the show.  When it was my turn, I told him that I've been a fan since Awake and I even have a DT decal on my car -- I'm basically "all about Dream Theater," I said.  That being said, I told him I can comfortably look him in the eye right now and without hesitation say that the new album is the greatest thing he's ever done.  I said it's better than Images & Words, in my opinion.  I said it was incredibly gutsy of the band to go the self-titled route, because they are basically saying they feel like this is their best album -- and if it falls flat they could look pretty silly.  It was a big risk, but they pulled it off.  I said there's always some fans that won't like something, but I'm one of those long-time fans that is super passionate about DT and he should know that this new album is as good as it gets for me.

He seemed genuinely touched, like he's hoping for that kind of reaction to this album and it was satisfying to actually hear it.  He even turned toward me a couple minutes later after taking some pics with fans to continue the conversation.  I also pointed out that I'm one of those guys who is a hardcore fan of Kevin Moore -- and John said "Well, that's really saying something then," regarding my praise of the new album.  No doubt, I came across as a fan boy, but I really wanted him to know that he's hit this album out of the ballpark.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:00:38 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

Re: John Petrucci last night at the Luna Park DVD screening on Long Island, NY!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
LOL. Seems like you were holding your smile in that picture...Couldn't get it wider

:metal

Cool pic btw.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
John Petrucci was at the screening last night of the Live at Luna Park DVD at Island 16 on Long Island, NY.  The movie theater was like 3/4 full and there seemed to be a lot of his family members there.  It was kinda cool watching the DVD for the first time with the Petrucci family around me.  People were hooting and clapping after every solo and every song, and John got a standing ovation at the end of the screening.

Anyway, John was waiting in the lobby and talking with fans before the show.  When it was my turn, I told him that I've been a fan since Awake and I even have a DT decal on my car -- I'm basically "all about Dream Theater," I said.  That being said, I told him I can comfortably look him in the eye right now and without hesitation say that the new album is the greatest thing he's ever done.  I said it's better than Images & Words, in my opinion.  I said it was incredibly gutsy of the band to go the self-titled route, because they are basically saying they feel like this is their best album -- and if it falls flat they could look pretty silly.  It was a big risk, but they pulled it off.  I said there's always some fans that won't like something, but I'm one of those long-time fans that is super passionate about DT and he should know that this new album is as good as it gets for me.

He seemed genuinely touched, like he's hoping for that kind of reaction to this album and it was satisfying to actually hear it.  He even turned toward me a couple minutes later after taking some pics with fans to continue the conversation.  I also pointed out that I'm one of those guys who is a hardcore fan of Kevin Moore -- and John said "Well, that's really saying something then," regarding my praise of the new album.  No doubt, I came across as a fan boy, but I really wanted him to know that he's hit this album out of the ballpark.

That is so awesome, my friend. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
Very awesome! You run into all the DT members (your Jordan bathroom encounter was hilarious)!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »
Awesome!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
That's awesome! The Petrucci family got extended quite a bit that night!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
Awesome!!!!! I'm agreeing with all the great posts you've made about this new album and I'm so happy you had the opportunity to tell John that DT12 is like a dream coming true!!!

Offline adamack

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Wow man you are so lucky!! That must have been one of the greatest nights...Luna Park on the big screen  :corn with John in the crowd, and meeting him afterward.

I feel like you represented all of us who love the new album, and it sounded like he was really happy to hear the great feedback.

I'm sure this was a night you will always remember!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
Wow man you are so lucky!! That must have been one of the greatest nights...Luna Park on the big screen  :corn with John in the crowd, and meeting him afterward.

I feel like you represented all of us who love the new album, and it sounded like he was really happy to hear the great feedback.

I'm sure this was a night you will always remember!

It will be a nightmare to remember

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
That kicks so much ass Mebert78! I had the impression that you met all DT members before several times, either at events or by chance around NY.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
That kicks so much ass Mebert78! I had the impression that you met all DT members before several times, either at events or by chance around NY.

Yes, I have!  But in the past I've either froze up and just asked for a photo, or I had asked a random question like if they liked the new OSI or Rush CD.  This time, I wanted to praise JP for the gutsy move of putting the band's name on the line with a self-titled disc and actually delivering.  No small feat.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:32:47 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing! Never had a chance to meet an artist I admire.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
what a memorable night!

Offline JPX

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
I certainly wouldn't want to bother him if he was with his family but if you really wanted to tell him that then good for you I guess.

Offline daykrush

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
How was the sound at the place? Still a lot of Petrucci and minor Jordan and JMX?
Very cool picture....wish there was a member last saturday in Amsterdam....

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
Amazing story...congrats!
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
Awesome Merbert! You always make a good read, especially when you talk about meeting band members!

Now, next step: meeting Kev.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
Very awesome! Must be cool to be watching the movie with the Petrucci family in the theater.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
I certainly wouldn't want to bother him if he was with his family but if you really wanted to tell him that then good for you I guess.

???

John was waiting in the lobby and talking with fans before the show. 

Anyhow, Mike, that's really cool that you got to meet him.  I know he knew who you were and had seen some of your comments that you've posted online beforehand.  Very cool to actually meet him and get to tell him in person!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »

???

Anyhow, Mike, that's really cool that you got to meet him.  I know he knew who you were and had seen some of your comments that you've posted online beforehand.  Very cool to actually meet him and get to tell him in person!

Ehhh. How much of it was John waiting to meet fans, or John just standing in a public area and fans decided to interact with him.

Maybe it's just me, I would never interupt a celebrity in a public. I would only feel comfortable if it was arranged - meet & greet etc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »

???

Ehhh. How much of it was John waiting to meet fans, or John just standing in a public area and fans decided to interact with him.

Maybe it's just me, I would never interupt a celebrity in a public. I would only feel comfortable if it was arranged - meet & greet etc.

If John didn't want to be bothered or noticed, he wouldn't have been standing in the lobby of a theater with fans waiting for a Dream Theater Concert Film to be displayed.  ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »

???

If John didn't want to be bothered or noticed, he wouldn't have been standing in the lobby of a theater with fans waiting for a Dream Theater Concert Film to be displayed.  ::)

^Yeah, that.  :lol  I mean, I get what you are saying, and I agree--especially if the person is out with the family.  But it seems obvious JP was not only fine talking with fans here, but was expecting it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

???

I thought about that, but where else is he supposed to stand? The private VIP standing section? I would assume that he was prepared for some people to approach him and being a super nice guy he accomodated them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
I thought about that, but where else is he supposed to stand? The private VIP standing section? I would assume that he was prepared for some people to approach him and being a super nice guy he accomodated them.

But I think the point is that for him to even go to an event like that, it obviously isn't just a private night out with the family.  I think it is obvious that he wasn't expecting to be left alone.  Why even go to something like that if he wasn't expecting to interact with fans?  He has seen the video and has a copy of it, obviously.  He was intentionally making a public appearance at a Dream Theater-related event, so I'm sure he and those with him were expecting that he was going to have quite a bit of fan interaction.

Offline JPX

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »

But I think the point is that for him to even go to an event like that, it obviously isn't just a private night out with the family.  I think it is obvious that he wasn't expecting to be left alone.  Why even go to something like that if he wasn't expecting to interact with fans?  He has seen the video and has a copy of it, obviously.  He was intentionally making a public appearance at a Dream Theater-related event, so I'm sure he and those with him were expecting that he was going to have quite a bit of fan interaction.

Fair point.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice! Doesn't get much better than that.