Author Topic: Have you met DT members?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
Re: Have you met DT members?
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
Haha, that is awkward.  I introduced myself as being from his forum and all he said was, "Nice to meet you."  Not that I expected him to know who I was because I didn't post all that much and wasn't too memorable.

I was out of there right after that. It was a geek fest and it was hot and just boring.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »

Picture of John Petrucci punching me in the stomach

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
I've met each of them a few times.  My most memorable was when I met Jordan while peeing at a Steven Wilson solo show in 2011.  I was taking a leak at the urinal in the empty bathroom at the Best Buy Theatre in Manhattan, and someone walks up to the urinal directly to my left.  I glance over and see a long white beard.  I'm buzzed, and I say something like: "No way, Jordan, is that you or am I just really drunk?"  He say's "It's me!"  Then we talked for a minute about something as we both peed.  I saw him the next night at his own solo show in Manhattan, and I reminded him that we met while peeing the night before.  He says, "Oh yeah, you and I go way back!"
The best story so far, hands down.  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »
I've met each of them a few times.  My most memorable was when I met Jordan while peeing at a Steven Wilson solo show in 2011.  I was taking a leak at the urinal in the empty bathroom at the Best Buy Theatre in Manhattan, and someone walks up to the urinal directly to my left.  I glance over and see a long white beard.  I'm buzzed, and I say something like: "No way, Jordan, is that you or am I just really drunk?"  He say's "It's me!"  Then we talked for a minute about something as we both peed.  I saw him the next night at his own solo show in Manhattan, and I reminded him that we met while peeing the night before.  He says, "Oh yeah, you and I go way back!"
The best story so far, hands down.  :lol
I remember reading that, I almost peed my pants :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »

Don't be silly. You must be the one who took the picture. The poor bloke who took the punch was obviously atomized a fraction of second after the blow!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ruba

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:42 AM »

This must be used in the caption thread  :lol!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:42 AM »
Actually had tickets for the SDOIT tour at PNC...A few days earlier managed to win backstage access (MEET AND GREET) from Satriani's website....gave my pass to a couple of friends because Satch's meet and Greet was actually during DT's set. After DT finished met up with friends they gave me back my laminate and I said what the  hell, lets see if I can still get back, even though it was a Satch and not a DT access pass.

Got to meet Jordan, MP and JLB, as both John's took off after the show to go home to NY

Met  MP later at a signing....had him sign my Big Book (AA )  he wished me luck in my sobriety and said no one had ever asked him to sign one before
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »

The one on the right looks like Awake era Petrucci.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »
Boston 7-16-12

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:33 AM »
-PICS-

Myself and my buddy with Derek before the Black Label Society "Unblackened" show in Los Angeles earlier this year...

And Charlie Dominici at the DT show in Anaheim in 2011
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline N4Player

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 07:31:10 AM »
Met the whole current line-up @Massey Hall in Toronto in 2011. One of the most memorable nights of my life. All members were so approachable, gracious, and humble. Having met a number of 'rock stars' before I am totally comfortable with celebrities. DT were such a cut above the others in every way, just like their music. Shaking JP's bear paw and having my picture with him was obviously the best feeling as a guitarist, but all members were awesome. JMX was more talkative then I expected and having been a massive fan of MM since he was in Extreme, we had the longest conversation. It was surreal. I should point out that I didn't have a VIP package for that show. All members came out after the gig from their tour bus and made sure all of the people that were still hanging around got signatures and pics. They don't owe us anything, and for them to do that speaks volumes as to what type of people they are and how they view us. All this on a night when I had seats on JP's side near the front. I had bear fur that had shed on me when I got home. Best concert experience I will ever have.  :hefdaddy

Offline hacko

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
I've met the guys (well some) before & after some shows at their hotel. I live at a city where it's easy to predict where they'll stay, the promoter always books the same place.

First time was for BCSL tour, got pictures with MP, had 3/5 autographs on the red cover version of lifting shadows. Pirate was feeling bad so no shot there, and JM was REALLY pissed since on the way from the airport some stupid teenage fans started "racing" chasing after their van and they almost crashed. So yeah, no shot there. JP was even more pissed than JM and I ended up thinking he was a jerk.

Quite the opposite!!!
Last year we (gf&me) caught him & MM after the G3 show (same hotel, plus talked with satch and LaRue&Morse, it was awesome) and JP was on cloud nine. He probably talked to the 6 or 8 fans that were at the hotel for about 30 minutes about everything, asked about our favorite stuff from ADTOE, signed stuff and took pictures. It was most amazing to see how happy he was. MM is a rather humble (and short!) guy, he apologized for not being able to shake hands ( he had injured his wrist and was barely able to play ) but came down, spoke for a while and took more pictures. 

I have to say it's one of my most precious memories. I don't know how the M&G ambiance is, but if you ever learn where they're staying, definitely go there after the show, while they're still on the post-coitusshow hype.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
Met and spoke to all of the current members for 2 to 3 minutes each with the exception of JP who I spoke to for 10 minutes :D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline skipreid

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Did a meet and greet in Chicago on the SC tour in 2007. Great show. Center stage, front row seats for the show too. Amazing night. The meet and greet was nice. All of the guys were really down to earth. They even told us not to shake the guys hands, since it was before the show, i guess. But the guys wanted to shake hands anyway. JP took a guys guitar and started playing Freebird on it, someone yelled, "You're playing it wrong". He laughed and so did the rest of us. Nice group of guys who happen to be amazing musicians.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
John Myung gives me gifts when I see him.  True story.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »
I've gotten to meet MP twice.  The first time was at a drum clinic he did in Rockaway NJ in the Fall of 1995.  It was during the brief period he was playing Mapex drums.  When I told him I was gonna see him and DT at the Long Island show of their first Home For The Holidays tour, he asked why I wasn't going to the Jersey show.  They hadn't announced the Birch Hill show at the time I bought my tickets.  The second time I met him was at a Sam Ash signing he had the morning of the Sea Bright NJ show on the SFaM tour.  As usual, he was great with everyone and signed whatever you had for him.  He was a little bummed when I told him the Pink Floyd Pulse DVD was postponed again.

I got to meet John Petrucci and Jordan briefly before the same Sea Bright SFaM show.  When they both were making their way from the bus to the venue for soundcheck, they stopped and signed and chatted with some of us who were waiting to get in.  Not quite as memorable as the Portnoy encounters but still cool.

Offline Novaturtle

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
I was lucky enough to run in to JP on the street before a gig in Leeds in 2011. I shook his hand and talked to him for a little bit about playing the guitar and got a photo with him. I'm sure I came across as some kind of crazy, nervous fan, but he was a really nice and polite guy. It was a pretty surreal experience, and I felt kind of depressed the day after because it was like 'well, nothing that great is every going to happen again'  :lol

Offline philmcson

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »
Met MP twice after him being in DT. First time with AdMob in Vienna in 2012, after the show, when he was super nice, immediately recalled some memories about the only DT concert in Croatia and even mentioned some odd news about Dave Mustaine being hit by a stone during a metal festival in Croatia, which was current at that time. That surprised me a lot.
Yeah, my avatar is taken from that meeting.

Then, I met him later that year with FC, I won a slot for the meet&greet in Cologne; unfortunately I had nothing to bring with me to get it signed at the meeting. Neal Morse was then kind enough to put some extra words on the pre-signed poster and MP, upon realizing I hadn't run to the store to get some FC vinyl or whatever else to boost their sales, apparently became a bit cocky and when I told him that it's nice meeting him again after AdMob he turned totally sarcastic and said "Oooooh yeah, I totally remember who you are!" Of course I didn't expect him to remember me but I had hoped for a "better" response. Dave LaRue and Steve Morse saved this m&g with their kindness, I guess.....

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »
September, 2007

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
Yes. I think I've told this story a couple times but after the NYC Opeth show a few years ago my friend and I ran into Mike Portnoy and his friends waiting for their car. We chatted for a little bit but the kicker was Portnoy offered my friend $5 for the left over White Castle he had. Out of defense for not having lunch the next day, he said no.

Offline tuto

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
I have a When Dream and Day Unite vinyl, and since its their debut album I would love to have it signed by them if I buy a Meet&Greet, but seeing there's only JP and JM left of that original line up, do you think it would be inappropriate to ask James, Jordan and MM to sign it too?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
You should, like, go on a quest to have it signed by them, MP, DS, KM, CD, SS, and CC.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
I have a When Dream and Day Unite vinyl, and since its their debut album I would love to have it signed by them if I buy a Meet&Greet, but seeing there's only JP and JM left of that original line up, do you think it would be inappropriate to ask James, Jordan and MM to sign it too?

I know most people don't mind signing stuff they aren't on as long as the person is sure they want it. 

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
*Pic*

The one on the right looks like Awake era Petrucci.

I am his long lost son... The next album is concept album about how we were on a journey to find each other

*Pic*

This must be used in the caption thread  :lol!

Caption thread? Noob here :-\

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
Not really but I almost caught John Petrucci's pick. In fact,I touched it and took it. Some faggot took it right out of my freaking hand.  :censored
But yeah I saw Jordan and said hi to him once but that's about it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
I've met both Mikes, Jordan and John Petrucci.  I met MP at a meet and greet at a Sam Ash in Orlando before the Progressive Nation show in 08.  I met Jordan and Mike Mangini after the Chicago show on the first leg of the ADTOE tour in 2011, and I met John Petrucci a few weeks ago at a clinic at Sweetwater in Fort Wayne. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »
I've met them numerous times over the years. The first time was back on June 9, 1995 at the Birch Hill Night Club in New Jersey.  Since then I've met every band member a few times. Back when they used to play smaller clubs, they would come out after the show and hang out with the fans which I always thought was extremely cool. 

I even had the privilege of sitting with my best friend during an interview he was doing with MP for a local radio station. I also remember missing out on a JP interview my friend was doing because our other friend unfortunately tagged along and DTs management didn't think we needed three people interviewing him. Afterward  though we got to hang out in the club while the band was hanging out. This was at Mulcahy's in Long Island if I remember correctly. I remember my friend asking JP if there was going to be a Metropolis sequel and I said it should be called Metropolis Part 2: The Continuing Adventures of the Miracle and the Sleeper.  John and Rena found that pretty hysterical.   

I have a photo somewhere of me meeting Derek at a Savatage show.  I also have a photo of meeting JP at a guitar clinic he did up in Connecticut.

I think that's it.  Not as impressive as Scotty's but I consider myself pretty damn lucky to have met some of my idols.

Offline Knguro

...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Ruba

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:03 AM »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:47 AM »
Double post. Move on. Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:10:42 AM by Ruba »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:28 AM »
Unfortunately I haven't met any DT member although MM walked past me at a signing in Stockholm and I can therefor confirm that he is infact a short dude.  :coolio
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline spanny

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
I met them all on the Octivarium tour and Petrucci a couple other times.  JP is one of the most polite, down to earth people I have met, let alone for someone who has accomplished all that he has. Cant think of anything negative to say about them from personal experiences.