Author Topic: The Baroness Thread.  (Read 9893 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: The Baroness Thread.
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »
I need a remaster of Gold & Grey. :'(
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2022, 10:14:50 AM »
a remaster implies it was mastered the first time :neverusethis:

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2022, 10:15:43 AM »

It sounds like it was mastered five times in a row. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2022, 02:07:05 PM »
While we're at it, remaster Purple as well.

Seeing them in June with Mastodon and Kvelertak :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »

It sounds like it was mastered five times in a row. :lol

:lol

I'm totally over the sound of it now. Initially I was really unhappy with it but I quickly stopped thinking about it. I'd go as far as to say I mostly like it. I'll take that "creative" sound-shaping over the typical modern metal sound any day of the week.

While we're at it, remaster Purple as well.

Seeing them in June with Mastodon and Kvelertak :metal

THAT is a lineup.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2022, 02:37:42 PM »
Has anyone seen their current evening-with tour?  Just bought my ticket for Sunday in LA  :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2022, 02:49:31 PM »
I saw them in November here in Richmond. They put on a fantastic show. Great setlist, though I voted for and would have preferred some deeper cuts.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/baroness/2021/capital-ale-house-richmond-va-438aeb23.html

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2023, 07:26:57 AM »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2023, 07:36:50 AM »
Will the mastering still sound like shit? Place ya bets, place ya bets!

That artwork is a bit... kinkier than usual. :lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 07:41:54 AM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2023, 07:42:13 AM »
First single “Last Word” is out in Apple Music. Doesn’t sound nearly as loud as Purple or Orange

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
Music video for Last Word

https://youtu.be/T7vROjNY9Gk

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
First single “Last Word” is out in Apple Music. Doesn’t sound nearly as loud as Purple or Orange

Yup, doesn't sound bad. Maybe now most of the discourse for this album can be about the actual music! :lol

Looking forward to this one, Purple is still fantastic and Gold & Grey had some great songs buried underneath the shit production.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »
New song and album release date today. Love these guys, and this sounds phenomenal on first listen (yes, even the production!).

Love hearing Gina's vocals mixed at the same level of John's.  The playing all round here is terrific.

Online nick_z

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2023, 07:55:36 PM »
New song and album release date today. Love these guys, and this sounds phenomenal on first listen (yes, even the production!).

Love hearing Gina's vocals mixed at the same level of John's.  The playing all round here is terrific.

REALLY liked the song. Sounds like Baroness but with plenty of “fresh” elements. Love how it manages to be urgent and “dreamy” at the same time.

Good stuff!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2023, 11:20:16 PM »
Yeah, my first thought when I saw this thread being bumped was, "oh, Baroness must have something new out... but they totally fucked up their last two albums by deliberately rendering them unlistenable so wonder if they've finally realised it wasn't a good idea?" And it seems they really have woken up, which is great! Because I literally couldn't listen to the last two more than twice each. Easily the worst examples of brickwalling I've ever heard, well beyond Death Magnetic, for example. And it was totally intentional. Just nuts.

Looking forward to checking out the song.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2023, 01:59:12 AM »
I think you'll be happy. I love how this sounds. Natural, warm yet crisp, clear but meaty. Pretty much perfect production afaic. None of that sterile, super-polished, fake-sounding prod you get in generic modern metal. The drums sound like drums - each individual snare hit you can hear is different. That guitar solo sound... That guitar solo, in fact!  :hefdaddy

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2023, 09:03:36 PM »
What's crazy is that this was not a unanimous decision by the band. I interviewed their drummer when Gold & Grey came out, and he seemed concerned that most of his drum fills were buried in the mix. I never saw a proper justification for the "artistic choice" they made by saturating everything. When Rush did this with Vapor Trails, they acknowledged this was a mistake...but I never heard or saw Baroness actually addressing why they did this.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »
I thought they nailed that type of production on Purple. But they took it waaaaaay too far on Orange. I've gotten used to it over time, but I'm glad they seem to have finally got the message with this new album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2023, 11:13:00 PM »
What's crazy is that this was not a unanimous decision by the band. I interviewed their drummer when Gold & Grey came out, and he seemed concerned that most of his drum fills were buried in the mix. I never saw a proper justification for the "artistic choice" they made by saturating everything. When Rush did this with Vapor Trails, they acknowledged this was a mistake...but I never heard or saw Baroness actually addressing why they did this.

I read a quote somewhere from one of the band members that was something like, "we wanted it all distorted, and we like it so... deal with it."
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2023, 01:15:23 AM »
Nice, I can listen to them again judging from this new track. I’m not an audiophile and I like a lot of lo-fi stuff, but their last few albums were mastered to mush and I just couldn’t enjoy it at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2023, 03:24:16 AM »

I read a quote somewhere from one of the band members that was something like, "we wanted it all distorted, and we like it so... deal with it."

I think it was John's vision on it. I kind of respect that he stuck to his guns on it, but there's no way a remix/master of Purple/Gold & Grey wouldn't be very, very welcome to every single Baroness fan and a bunch more peeps that would then be happy to spend more time on them.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2023, 04:04:25 AM »

I think it was John's vision on it. I kind of respect that he stuck to his guns on it, but there's no way a remix/master of Purple/Gold & Grey wouldn't be very, very welcome to every single Baroness fan and a bunch more peeps that would then be happy to spend more time on them.

100%

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2023, 06:03:52 AM »
I think you'll be happy. I love how this sounds. Natural, warm yet crisp, clear but meaty. Pretty much perfect production afaic. None of that sterile, super-polished, fake-sounding prod you get in generic modern metal. The drums sound like drums - each individual snare hit you can hear is different. That guitar solo sound... That guitar solo, in fact!  :hefdaddy

Forgot to come back on this! Aurally, it is indeed much better. Only heard the song once so I need to give a few more listens.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online nick_z

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2023, 02:13:59 PM »
Second single, Beneath the Rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxBGFgqOvaU

This is very good too! Not loving the vocals in the verse, but not a big deal. Great chorus and sweet Thin Lizzy-esque solo.

This is shaping up to be a cool album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2023, 04:19:25 PM »
Love the new track. Some really cool textures and styles there. Trying not to listen to either singles, though, to keep it in a box until the album comes out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:19:50 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2023, 12:50:29 PM »
The new album sounds great! Different from the previous one, much more concise and focused. And sonically better!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2023, 03:24:00 PM »
Great to hear. Can't wait to get my ears around it. 🙂

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2023, 05:33:15 AM »
 I emailed my review today...it's a LOOOOONG one. Great album, they found a good balance and removed a bit of the experimentation of Gol & Grey, in favor of a more streamlined approach. And the mix is way better this time!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2023, 05:58:44 AM »
So looking forward to this. They're a real top band for me. These days they have a style and approach that's instantly recognisable and the songs are great.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2023, 05:59:13 AM »
I emailed my review today...it's a LOOOOONG one. Great album, they found a good balance and removed a bit of the experimentation of Gol & Grey, in favor of a more streamlined approach. And the mix is way better this time!

When's the review out, man?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2023, 06:16:39 AM »
Loving the new songs as well. Can't for the whole album. I have tickets to see them live for the first time in November.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2023, 10:14:36 AM »

Early next week

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2023, 12:36:27 AM »

Early next week

Nice. Looking forward..🙂