Author Topic: The Baroness Thread.  (Read 9890 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The Baroness Thread.
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »
New album comes out Friday.  Why they would release it this late in the year is beyond me.  I would have sat on it for a month and released it in January so you get immediate sales, as well as any at the end of the year when people make their top 10 lists.
I've seen it on a bunch of website's top whatever lists and reviews for awhile.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 12:54:15 AM »
Oh man, the more I hear, the greater this band becomes! Wish I still had a record player though, with all that great artwork.

Purple is great as well, btw.   :angel:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Art

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 03:40:01 AM »
Yeah, Purple is pretty good. But i think it´s too soon to be on top of the year lists or whatever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
oh, if it's streaming i should prob check it out  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
Man, their guitar leads and how they sound is so damn awesome. This album's no exception.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline adace

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Purple is awesome. Definitely my favorite of theirs.

Offline Art

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 03:46:43 AM »
Yeah, i´ve listen to it a lot over the weekend, and it´s an awesome record.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Agreed. The end of Chlorine & Wine is dazzling.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »
Man, I've got to say I've been enjoying their new album a lot but 'Shock Me' breaks my heart every time. I find it a distinctly average song but then it breaks into that gorgeous guitar lead from 3:21-3:46 and I'm just in heaven. It's those little parts like that which make Baroness so goddamn great for me. Maybe it's because they don't over sell those parts but it just sounds incredible. I spend the whole song waiting for that part an then it's over!!

Love all their albums for different reasons and still struggle to pick a favourite.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
Yeah their guitarwork is fantastic. Really glad I discovered this great band.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2019, 07:22:16 AM »
New album coming this year by the looks of it:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/03/baroness-clip-new-song-tease-color-scheme-album/

Also, I have to say, that tour with Deafheaven and Zeal & Ardor, I'm jealous. I can only dream they'll bring that to the UK!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »
I like this band a lot. They have many moments of greatness and many that are so-very-nearly-there-but-not-quite.

Yellow and Green was good but Purple was the first of theirs that hit the excellent mark for me.

Ironically, one of my favourite albums of the last ten years has the WORST mastering job. Seriously, it's a crime that album was released that distorted. Saw them in the UK on that tour and it was faaaaaantastic. Great energy and holler-along songs. And you could hear the excellent arrangements and interplay so well, compared to the record. The songs just bloomed open like flowers.

Looking forward to whatever they do next.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 12:52:56 AM »
yyyeeeaaah i think part of why the less metal tracks on purple are my favorite is that they aren't as affected by the production job but it's pretty bad lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
That's always bothered me about Purple too, but it still manages to be a fantastic album anyways. And at least the distorted sound kind of works for the sludge metal aesthetic, or at least doesn't ruin it as much as it would other things.

I haven't been able to get into any of their previous albums, unfortunately.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQX_oVVORFU
new song is up. sounds pretty rad & the production doesn't sound like trash either

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
Just pre ordered on vinyl  :heart I mean the album art is just too beautiful!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/10/729219388/first-listen-baroness-gold-grey
Full album stream

Production is worse than I was expecting after the first single tbh but so far besides that it's pretty good

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:13 PM »
Interesting. I'll give it a listen.

But Purple... I have never heard such a badly brick-walled album in my life. For me, it is literally unlistenable. It's that bad, it makes Death Magnetic seem like an aural masterpiece.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2019, 01:51:24 AM »
Just tried listening to the first track. Turned it off about half-way through. Sonically, it's not good. Not good at all. Why would someone do this?

Rodrigo, I notice your review (why can't you right click on the site, by the way?) doesn't mention it so I presume you either couldn't hear it or it wasn't a problem for you. Maybe it's the Spotify source? (I honestly doubt that, but you never know.)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
The new album sounds like the material is really great. Heard three quarters of it today.

The sound is deliberate, apparently, and I'm just having to tell myself that to keep from it annoying me too much. It suits this album much better than it did Purple, imo. But still a very odd choice.

But the music. Really, really good. Excellent melodies, the arrangements and drums are complex but tasteful, the vocals are excellent. Gina and John sound fantastic together.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
Just tried listening to the first track. Turned it off about half-way through. Sonically, it's not good. Not good at all. Why would someone do this?

Rodrigo, I notice your review (why can't you right click on the site, by the way?) doesn't mention it so I presume you either couldn't hear it or it wasn't a problem for you. Maybe it's the Spotify source? (I honestly doubt that, but you never know.)

I did mention the excessive distortion on one of the tracks, and gave it a 6 on production. The whole album sounds like that, BY CHOICE, not by accident. It's as if Rush released Moving Pictures with the mix of Vapor Trails. It did annoy me in places, but I guess it's part of their charm now.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:10 PM »

I did mention the excessive distortion on one of the tracks, and gave it a 6 on production. The whole album sounds like that, BY CHOICE, not by accident. It's as if Rush released Moving Pictures with the mix of Vapor Trails. It did annoy me in places, but I guess it's part of their charm now.

Gosh, you're absolutely right. I apologise.

Interesting that both you and DoctorAction mention the album sounds like that by their own choice. Do you have a source for that, please? I believe you both, I'm just interested to know why they think it's a good idea to create something that is clearly of a high standard only to make it almost painful to listen to. Again!

Edit: Found the comment, dates back to 2015. Well, fair enough. Their art, their choice. Not one I remotely support, shame.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2019, 12:07:51 AM »
Yeah. Feels like taking wire wool to an oil painting you just finished, somehow. Two albums in I'm just going to have to accept it or get off the bus, i suppose. And i like their music too much for the latter.

Musically, i love what they're doing. They've pushed further into melody but retained that intensity. Pretty much exactly what i want from my "metal" these days.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2019, 06:04:01 AM »
Yeah. Feels like taking wire wool to an oil painting you just finished, somehow. Two albums in I'm just going to have to accept it or get off the bus, i suppose. And i like their music too much for the latter.

Musically, i love what they're doing. They've pushed further into melody but retained that intensity. Pretty much exactly what i want from my "metal" these days.

Almost unintentionally you make a good point with just one word there: "metal". I've seen them more than once being described as a metal act, but are they, really? If/when I get a chance to interview them, I'll ask them how comfortable they are with being called a metal act.

Apparently the band enjoyed my review. Here's a message from their publicist to my editor Joel: "...Hey Joel - What a terrific, thoughtful, and thorough review for Baroness. Thank you for assigning @Rodrigo Altaf to it, will you please pass on my thanks and the band thanks as well?..."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:37 AM »
The way it is for me, I just don't have any excitement for any more plain, regular metal. Unless the writing is utterly phenomenal, I'm full. Been listening to Maiden/Slayer and all the expected bands since the mid eighties. That's thirty five years of rock action. And there are TONNES of very capable bands around but, and I know how old this will make me sound, it's just all been done to death.

Baroness are doing something much more open-ended. Love it.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 05:31:14 AM »
A few more listens in and this material is really impressing me. And i can only imagine how much more impactful it would be with clearer sound quality.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
Here's the interview I did with the Baroness drummer Sebastian Thomson. Listen closely and you'll notice a very special guest: my daughter Stella in the background.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-sebastian-thomson/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
I've been coming to this record again and again and I love it. Joint album of the year with Distance Over Time for me (expecting Keane to take another aoty slot too).

Great interview, Rodrigo. I just listened to it and watched all their making of YouTube videos.

I still wish the album was clearer but the material is so incredible that it make it through. I love the dual vocals with almost-constant harmony. Reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel! And the rhythmic side is so proggy but sounds so organic. Wonderful.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
Thanks, man! I was really nervous with that one, because my daughter was alone with me (and you can hear her in the background asking for my attention!!). I had a few more questions for him, but had to cut it short because she needed me. I'm glad you liked it, and I'm also happy because everyone seems to try to interview Gina or John, and I got to talk to Seb who gave me a different perspective on the album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »
I bought this on CD and ripped it to FLAC (as I do if i can't buy a FLAC copy at a reasonable price) and it is much clearer than the Spotify stream. It's still as distorted but there is loads more to be heard.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 02:01:48 AM »
They also did another Maida Vale session for the BBC. Starts around the 40 minute mark. Outstanding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wq4s

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2019, 02:44:54 AM »
They also did another Maida Vale session for the BBC. Starts around the 40 minute mark. Outstanding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wq4s

That was INSANELY good!!!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Really.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2022, 10:01:11 AM »
Listened to Purple today. Bangin'. I need a new Baroness record in 2022.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:09:08 PM by DoctorAction »