Author Topic: My problem with Breaking All Illusions  (Read 6238 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: My problem with Breaking All Illusions
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
My problem with Breaking All Illusions is that the first half always makes me think of Learning to Live. I'm not even sure if that's a problem.

Agreed there.  Except its not a problem.  I basically see it as a modern LtL with a guitar solo that could've been on LitS.

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »
I feel that exact way about Outcry. It just ends without any real conclusion, both lyrically and musically. I can understand what you're saying about BAI being the same way lyrically, but I don't really think it takes away anything from the song. It just ends on an ambiguous lyric; that's not something that ruins a song for me.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
I feel that exact way about Outcry. It just ends without any real conclusion, both lyrically and musically. I can understand what you're saying about BAI being the same way lyrically, but I don't really think it takes away anything from the song. It just ends on an ambiguous lyric; that's not something that ruins a song for me.
This. It's anti-climactic, the ending seems rushed and disorganized and lost within itself, and it never ends properly for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
Agree with the OP.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
  I totally expected the full band to kick in with the vocals.  Big epic strings, heavy guitars, soaring outro lead by JP ala Octavarium, Spirit, TMOLS, etc.  But we didn't get that.  But we expected it (most of us I think).....

I pretty much chalk those things up to them trying to make make the quintessential DT record, but having the same mindset that the fans had when they heard I&W or Awake or ACOS for the first time.  Or anything from DT for that matter.  I think they wanted to make an album less predictable than their past few efforts.  And in that, they succeeded IMO.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong.  I still think the end of BTS totally should be fullband.  But I respect them for raising my eyebrows a few more times than normal.

Thoughts?

I agree with this line of thought.  It's refreshing that it's unpredictable, catches us off guard and makes me think.

My problem with Breaking All Illusions is that the first half always makes me think of Learning to Live. I'm not even sure if that's a problem.

:lol  I know exactly what you mean.  I was actually just talking to Scotty on the phone about this very same issue yesterday.  It isn't a "problem," but I do find it distracting because there is plenty of awesomeness to appreciate in this song, and rather than just being able to appreciate it by itself, I find myself unable to stop subconsciously comparing it to LTL.  Again, not a bad thing, but just a bit distracting.

I don't have that issue with this song, but I do with LNF/UAGM.  It's disconcerting a bit.  I won't say it kills the song for me, but it nags at me a bit.  I keep thinking to myself..."There must be a reason"  If said reason was to be explained by the band I'm willing to bet my whole outlook would change with understanding.

No problem with the lyric. It's the instrumental break I have an issue with.

Wow..... well, different strokes.  To me the instrumental break alone is probably the highlight of this album.  The soft guitar that builds is just breathtaking.  Also the funky snippet grooves that go back and forth.

I absolutely love the lyrics on LTL and Trial of Tears and am wondering if by it being co-penned  the end results suffer?  I like the lyrics, just seems not quite up too JM's past lyrical efforts.  As far as the ending, I really have no issue.  I love the Karma line and ending theme.  Also siding with Marion on this one.... I like that it's not so predictable.  It's refreshing :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
Last 3 albums:

Complaint - "DT has become too predictable."

New album:

Complaint - "DT has become too unpredictable."

:facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
#1, that last "karma starts the signal" lyric is so hopelessly vague that I don't really have a clear idea what it means.  #2, musically, that epic ending sort of implied that a major point or ultimate resolution is coming, but the lyrics don't do that.  The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does. 

That would be JMX setting you up for Breaking All Illusions, pt. II.

I felt that as well. That is, if you're not being sarcastic.

Call it sarcious or sericastic... because it would be awesome if they did!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Last 3 albums:

Complaint - "DT has become too predictable."

New album:

Complaint - "DT has become too unpredictable."

:facepalm:

LOL!

I don't really have a problem with the last line in BAI, JM are just ambiguous as always.