Author Topic: My problem with Breaking All Illusions  (Read 6239 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
My problem with Breaking All Illusions
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
This song has grown on me more than any other in the last week and a half.  It was originally my least favorite song on the album, but there is just so much cool stuff going on that it has grown on me tremendously.  But here's my major issue:  Musically, it builds up to a big, epic ending that just floors you.  But...lyrically, it ends with a whimper.  #1, that last "karma starts the signal" lyric is so hopelessly vague that I don't really have a clear idea what it means.  #2, musically, that epic ending sort of implied that a major point or ultimate resolution is coming, but the lyrics don't do that.  The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does.  I find myself at the end of the song saying, "okay, but...?" as opposed to the triumphant fist-pumping "yeah!" that the music implies.  Do people get what I'm saying?  Anyone else feel that way?

Again, not bashing the song at all.  I really like it a lot.  And I'm usually the last one to hate on DT lyrics, for the most part.  But this song's lyrics just leave me cold, especially the ending lyrics.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: My problem with Breaking All Illusions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »
Given what I assume from the lyrics, I don't think it's supposed to have an ultimate resolution or definitive ending. I think it's almost supposed to be cyclical, or at least unresolved, hence the last line, and the way the song ends musically.

Almost like the music is building intentionally up to something that the song is not supposed to show, if that makes sense. It's building to inconclusion.

So I can see what you mean, but to me it feels purposeful, and meant to leave you hanging.

Also, I've had no sleep, so that may not make any sense. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
I agree 100%. It would be like Octavarium ending on "a perfect sphere" with no vocal and melodic resolution and no epic outro

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
I was ready to disagree but I have to agree. That last line is an awkward way to end the song. It leaves you hanging in the air.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
Given what I assume from the lyrics, I don't think it's supposed to have an ultimate resolution or definitive ending. I think it's almost supposed to be cyclical, or at least unresolved, hence the last line, and the way the song ends musically.

Almost like the music is building intentionally up to something that the song is not supposed to show, if that makes sense. It's building to inconclusion.
It would be like Octavarium ending on "a perfect sphere" with no vocal and melodic resolution and no epic outro

Can of worms: opened. ADTOE is a concept album on how lyrics are not resolved and don't live to the hype behind the music.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
I'll admit the last lyric is quite vague, but I like that. I love the lyrical style of JM songs.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
Whatever "Karma starts the signal" means, the complete "embrace the days" chorus is decidedly climactic and resolute, I find.

EDIT: Wanna know why I don't have a problem with "Karma starts the signal", which is vague and admittedly weak? I much prefer JM's metaphorical stylings to DT's more recent lyrical stylings, which permit songs to be about car crashes and Tuscan counts, and nothing but car crashes and Tuscan counts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »
I was ready to disagree but I have to agree. That last line is an awkward way to end the song. It leaves you hanging in the air.

I'm hoping that I just don't get it and someone can clear it up for me.

@Emindead:  Quit the trolling.  It has been going on in a few threads.  This is your warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
It's all good, I dont care about the lyrics that much, the way he sings it is great

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
I just posted in official ADTOE thread that BAI is my least favourite from ADTOE.... it's a mess for me, particular parts played on it's own would be awesome, but as a full song.... doesn't fits...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does.  I find myself at the end of the song saying, "okay, but...?" as opposed to the triumphant fist-pumping "yeah!" that the music implies.  Do people get what I'm saying?  Anyone else feel that way?
This is my only problem with Outcry. I don't feel like Breaking All Illusions does this.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »
The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does.  I find myself at the end of the song saying, "okay, but...?" as opposed to the triumphant fist-pumping "yeah!" that the music implies.  Do people get what I'm saying?  Anyone else feel that way?
This is my only problem with Outcry. I don't feel like Breaking All Illusions does this.
This x10000000

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
Bosk, easily my fave track on the album, but you're right...the "Karma" line is a bit odd, especially after James' goosebump inducing tone during the "Life's true intent" line.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline visitor

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
This x10000000

x10000000?? really?? isn't x1000 big enough? what if I answered with x10000000000000?  would that make me more appreciative?  is there a scale I can reference this number to to understand the gravity of your appreciation?

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
#1, that last "karma starts the signal" lyric is so hopelessly vague that I don't really have a clear idea what it means.  #2, musically, that epic ending sort of implied that a major point or ultimate resolution is coming, but the lyrics don't do that.  The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does. 

That would be JMX setting you up for Breaking All Illusions, pt. II.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »
#1, that last "karma starts the signal" lyric is so hopelessly vague that I don't really have a clear idea what it means.  #2, musically, that epic ending sort of implied that a major point or ultimate resolution is coming, but the lyrics don't do that.  The lyrics just end the song making me feel like something else should be coming, but nothing else does. 

Scenes from a Bass Solo

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »
Yeah, I also have no idea what ''Karma starts the signal'' means. However, that last words are finely counterbalanced by previous lines ''Embrace the days, don't turn away, life's true intent needs patience.'' So when the last line is sung, I just don't care about it, I just assume it has something to do with the rest of the lyrics. John Myung knows what it means, so that's good enough for me.  ;D

If it's setting us for part two, that's great.  :metal

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
OK this could open a bigger can of worms but here it goes....

There are several threads about things on the record that we don't like about certain parts of the album.  Off hand, a few things I'll mention are the current thread about the end of BAI, the end of Outcry, the "gift divine" part of TITL, the intro to BITS, the unison at the beginning of LNF, etc.  A big one for me (which I'm pretty sure we all expected when we heard it the first time) is the last chorus of Beneath the Surface.  I totally expected the full band to kick in with the vocals.  Big epic strings, heavy guitars, soaring outro lead by JP ala Octavarium, Spirit, TMOLS, etc.  But we didn't get that.  But we expected it (most of us I think).....

I pretty much chalk those things up to them trying to make make the quintessential DT record, but having the same mindset that the fans had when they heard I&W or Awake or ACOS for the first time.  Or anything from DT for that matter.  I think they wanted to make an album less predictable than their past few efforts.  And in that, they succeeded IMO.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong.  I still think the end of BTS totally should be fullband.  But I respect them for raising my eyebrows a few more times than normal.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:32:33 AM by Marion Crane »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
My problem with Breaking All Illusions is that the first half always makes me think of Learning to Live. I'm not even sure if that's a problem.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
I pretty much chalk those things up to them trying to make make the quintessential DT record, but having the same mindset that the fans had when they heard I&W or Awake or ACOS for the first time.  Or anything from DT for that matter.  I think they wanted to make an album less predictable than their past few efforts.  And in that, they succeeded IMO.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong.  I still think the end of BTS totally should be fullband.  But I respect them for raising my eyebrows a few more times than normal.
Thinking the band should have done something differently (especially because they didn't do something you predicted) is never a legitimate criticism.

Fact is, this album is not predictable. That's a good thing. The songs aren't formulaic and make a point to surprise you.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »
Thinking the band should have done something differently (especially because they didn't do something you predicted) is never a legitimate criticism.

Fact is, this album is not predictable. That's a good thing. The songs aren't formulaic and make a point to surprise you.

Oh it does surprise me.  I just think the end of BAI would sound better and round out the song better with the full band, which is coincidentally what I thought they would do.  I still respect the humbleness of it though.  They kept it simple, which is a change for them.  I respect that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
A big one for me (which I'm pretty sure we all expected when we heard it the first time) is the last chorus of Beneath the Surface.  I totally expected the full band to kick in with the vocals.  Big epic strings, heavy guitars, soaring outro lead by JP ala Octavarium, Spirit, TMOLS, etc.  But we didn't get that.  But we expected it (most of us I think).....

I like that they keep it fairly stripped down and simple.  The vocals modulating up an octave raises the tension in the song just enough.  I don't think it needs more.  It really ends the album on a nice serene note that is unusual, but very welcome.

My problem with Breaking All Illusions is that the first half always makes me think of Learning to Live. I'm not even sure if that's a problem.

:lol  I know exactly what you mean.  I was actually just talking to Scotty on the phone about this very same issue yesterday.  It isn't a "problem," but I do find it distracting because there is plenty of awesomeness to appreciate in this song, and rather than just being able to appreciate it by itself, I find myself unable to stop subconsciously comparing it to LTL.  Again, not a bad thing, but just a bit distracting.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

Oh it does surprise me.  I just think the end of BAI would sound better and round out the song better with the full band, which is coincidentally what I thought they would do.  I still respect the humbleness of it though.  They kept it simple, which is a change for them.  I respect that.
For what it's worth, if this song is ever played live, DT will likely perform it with a full band, as they did with some performances of The Silent Man and Wait for Sleep. THAT will be cool.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
I have absolutely no idea what the last line is supposed to mean, but I like the feeling it leaves me with. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »

Yeah. The end of Outcry seems somewhat anticlimactic. It's not a big deal, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
I have absolutely no idea what the last line is supposed to mean, but I like the feeling it leaves me with.
I live the way James delivers that last line.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »

It would be like Octavarium ending on "a perfect sphere" with no vocal and melodic resolution and no epic outro

Can of worms: opened. ADTOE is a concept album on how lyrics are not resolved and don't live to the hype behind the music.
So, you don't like ADTOE?

Oh yes! Now I remember, from other 15 of your posts on the subject matter.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

So I can see what you mean, but to me it feels purposeful, and meant to leave you hanging.
This.  It is refreshingly unconventional.  I love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »

I felt that as well. That is, if you're not being sarcastic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
I'll admit the last lyric is quite vague, but I like that. I love the lyrical style of JM songs.
I thought that line sounded like something that JP would have added, and being that he co-wrote the lyrics it may be possible that is why the song seems lyrically disjointed. The opening verse(s) to me scream JMX. But that last line in particular seems like it is out of place like boski says....that's why my vote is that its a JP lyric
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kon_jakae

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:25:43 AM by kon_jakae »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
(Karma starts the signal= we are human, we have sufferings as our nature and we need time to learn to eliminate misperceptions.)[/b]

Very cool post and an interesting interpretation, but I still don't see how you get that from 'karma starts the signal.' 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
No problem with the lyric. It's the instrumental break I have an issue with.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline kon_jakae

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:25:57 AM by kon_jakae »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
That was a big problem for me with TCOT... lyrically, the ending is just so.... unmoving. On the other hand, 8VM and ACOS ended on very strong lyrical ends.

As for BAI, I havent paid attention to any of the lyrics on the album yet.