Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread  (Read 24134 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
also zantera, since (i'll assume) youre very familiar with both right now, have you noticed any similarities between siamese dream and steventree's stupid dream?! a friend and i were heavily discussing stupid dream half a year back as he was devouring stupid dream after aquiring it, and all of a sudden we were making the stupid/siamese comparisons. i dont know how serious we were, but we half concluded that mr.wilson was trying to make a better version of siamese dream with his album.
(i'd probly have to go back and listen to both to see what all was making us find some parallels between the two albums).

... wat?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »
I haven't noticed any comparison.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Yeah and did you know that In Rainbows syncs up perfectly with Ok Computer ?

You didn't  ???

It doesn't.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
oh come on, its not like theyre miles apart.
sure, a hundred yards, maybe...but maybe not.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
Yeah and did you know that In Rainbows syncs up perfectly with Ok Computer ?

You didn't  ???

It doesn't.

that one's almost as bad as Kid 17.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 04:00:29 PM »
Well release day is here for Oceania at least in the US and after vising two stores I was able to find it at Wal Mart. I don't really like to buy from Wal Mart but they had it in stock and I had some money so what the fuck.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!  :D Is it any good?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!  :D Is it any good?

haha I don't know yet I'm saving my first listen for when I go walking, (you know even though I was in a car with a fully functioning CD player  :lol) gonna do the walk in a couple minutes here though so I'll let you guys know when I get back.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Alright back from my walk and more importantly the first listen through of Oceania and I've got to say Wow, this album is different but in a good way. It is true there are elements that fans from all era's of the band will recognize there's some old Pumpkins (Gish sounding almost) in there as well as some new (Teargarden) and even some completely different things in there.

A couple more things I have to say. First: Nicole Fiorentino does an amazing job on this album, the Bass can be clearly heard and there are some really cool Bass lines. Mike Byrne also does a very good job, that being said I do miss Jimmy Chamberlin and his signature sound.

So overall I'll say again this is a good album, I enjoyed the first spin but I will be doing a lot more listen thoughs for it to fully click.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
I've listened to Oceania twice so far.

Sure its good, but at this point I don't feel like its great. I'm gonna do a lot of repeated listens though.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
Just had my first listen through and initial favs are:

Panopticon
Inkless
Glissandra
Oceania

----------------------

After a few listens they sort out like this for me....

Really Like:

Panopticon
Inkless
Glissandra

Enjoying and could like more with more listens:

Quasar
The Chimera
Oceania
Violet Rays

Hope to have these grow on me some with more listens:

Pale Horse
The Celestials

Not so sure about these:

My Love Is Winter
Pinwheels
Wildflower

WTF?:

One Diamond, One Heart
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:24:18 PM by WebRaider »

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
im 5 spins in; so far im wishing i liked it more. some standout tracks, but overall it isnt quite holding up; hope its a grower.

intital interpretations:
-not as heavy as i was expecting
-some odd keyboard sounds in there for TSP
-overall theres something of a hollow vibe to the album. a dark cloud hovers over oceania, showering empty raindrops.
 (that being said, im prefering the more upbeat and uplifting tracks like pinwheels and the chimera)
 (though the celestials and violet rays are both really cool)
 (who am i kidding, the more i type here, the more its dawning on me that i probably love the album)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
Been spinning it 3 times or so, great album. Needs more time though.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »
Goddamn, I just revisited Siamese Dream and it hit me harder than it ever has, even more than when it first clicked for me. I'm almost in tears from listening to it, and I'm tempted to say I have nothing but pity for anyone who hasn't heard it or doesn't appreciate its music.

Haven't heard the new album yet, but I'll get around to it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
I just saw that Mellon Collie is getting reissued on vinyl this month. That is so exciting news, it's my favorite Pumpkins album so far, and I was afraid I would have to pay 300 dollars to get it on ebay.

I've also started listening to Adore, which is really good. I can't believe the hate it has gotten, sure it's different from the earlier albums, but not different as in bad. (IMO at least)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »
I remember Adore was a change for Pumpkin fans plus the chaos from the keyboard player dying and Chamberlin leaving may have added to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
I just saw that Mellon Collie is getting reissued on vinyl this month. That is so exciting news, it's my favorite Pumpkins album so far, and I was afraid I would have to pay 300 dollars to get it on ebay.

uhh, what? the reissue is nowhere near ready. it won't be coming out until the end of the year. where'd you read that?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
I might actually get the Mellon Collie & Machina re-issues :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

uhh, what? the reissue is nowhere near ready. it won't be coming out until the end of the year. where'd you read that?

Oh. A web-store here in Sweden were I normally order stuff, they had it listed as being released in July. (Probably a mistake on their part) Oh well, I can wait.. I was just happy to see that it would be released at all.  :D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
Oh, is that re-release of Mellon Collie coming so soon already? Sweet.

And I actually enjoyed Oceania more than I expected. It's different, but still very catchy!

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
i gave the album about 25 spins in the first two weeks (have cooled off the past week or so, though i am spinning it now).

somewhere around spin 15 i realized i actually probably like it more than zeitgeist (for sure didnt think i would after the first 3 or 4 spins). also somewhere around spin 15, it dawned on me that Inkless is probably my favorite track.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
Time for a bump.
Really been in a huge Smashing Pumpkins-phase, and I dare to say that they are among my top3 favorite bands ever at this point. I still haven't heard the Machina-albums, Zeitgeist or most of the B-sides, but I'm sort of taking it slow and just really enjoying everything. I've picked up Gish and Pisces Iscariot on Vinyl, also have Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Adore and Oceania on CD, so at least a decent start. :P Will probably expand the collection slowly, while it was delayed, I'm super excited about the Mellon Collie reissue before the end of the year, getting it on Vinyl will be awesome. So far I've stayed fairly in tune getting the Vinyl, but I don't have Siamese Dream yet, should probably try to pick it up while it's fairly available everywhere. Maybe Oceania as well.

Ranking so far:

Mellon Collie
Siamese Dream
Pisces Iscariot
Oceania
Adore
Gish

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Bought Pisces Iscariot's box set, kind of miffed that most of these songs are just the bonus tracks from the Gish and Siamese Dream box sets. But whatever, I'm digging it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
Pisces Iscariot might be the best b-sides collection of any band ever.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »

I've been listening a lot to it this week, it's really awesome. I also keep hearing good things about The Aeroplane Flies High, should check it out as well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

Damn, I've been a Pumpkins fan for almost 20 years and never heard about this. Just bought it and what a fool I was, because this is awesome.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
Man I totally forgot about Pisces Iscariot!  I had it on CD back in the 90's, but it appears to be missing from my collection now.  Anyone know what happened to it?  One of my sisters probably took it and lost it years ago, huh?  Now I'm pissed  >:(

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »
Good to see you've really enjoyed so much of the Pumpkins and glad you picked up Pisces Iscariot too Zantera. It's always been up there for me in my Pumpkins collection.

There's so much great stuff throughout for me. Some albums or collections are more consistent than others but there's always a few gems here or there that seem to blow me away regardless.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
I actually went to the CD-store to ask about the Mellon Collie reissue, because it had a set date for July here, but the people earlier who said it wouldn't come out were very right about it, since it will come out later this year.
Anyhow, when I went to the store I browsed through the Pumpkins stuff, found Pisces Iscariot on Vinyl (the reissue, cool yellow cover) fairly cheap, and I had only heard about it before (that it was a B-sides album) but I just knew I had to buy it. I also picked up Gish because it was SOOO cheap, but that one was also the reissue vinyl.

So yeah I'm really loving this band. They appeal to me on a grander level because of how much they have to offer. The shoegaze-influenced stuff, the dreampop-sounding songs, the mix between heavy and soft, the whole sound itself. I just love it.  :hat

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

I've been listening a lot to it this week, it's really awesome. I also keep hearing good things about The Aeroplane Flies High, should check it out as well.

Definitely. Aeroplane is a compilation of all b-side tracks from the Mellon Collie singles (Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, yadda yadda), and pretty much all of them are damn, damn good.

Damn, I've been a Pumpkins fan for almost 20 years and never heard about this. Just bought it and what a fool I was, because this is awesome.

You've been missing out! Better late than never to discover it, though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

So yeah I'm really loving this band. They appeal to me on a grander level because of how much they have to offer. The shoegaze-influenced stuff, the dreampop-sounding songs, the mix between heavy and soft, the whole sound itself. I just love it.  :hat

What a fantastic description of the band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

You might want to wait a little to check out Areoplane as it's supposed to be getting the same remaster/re release treatment as Gish, Siamese Dream, and Pisces Iscariot as well as the other Pumpkin studio albums. Also rumor is from what Billy's said is that Areoplane should have two extra bonus discs.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
Yeah I heard about that as well. Awesome news. Feels like a great period getting into the band, everything being re-released again, it's really cool.  :tup

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »
I actually went to the CD-store to ask about the Mellon Collie reissue, because it had a set date for July here, but the people earlier who said it wouldn't come out were very right about it, since it will come out later this year.
Anyhow, when I went to the store I browsed through the Pumpkins stuff, found Pisces Iscariot on Vinyl (the reissue, cool yellow cover) fairly cheap, and I had only heard about it before (that it was a B-sides album) but I just knew I had to buy it. I also picked up Gish because it was SOOO cheap, but that one was also the reissue vinyl.

You and I are right on about that. I love all kinds of different music and I love when a band can mix it up so well. There is so much to be found throughout that I never get bored and tend to always be excited for the next song.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Aeroplane is kinda hit/miss with me. but the stuff that hits is fuckin deadly.  :metal

also, to anyone that hasnt, check out The End Is The Beginning is The End single. the title track in particular owns. a mix of metal and electronic effects. it was kinda the direction i was expecting them to go following Mellon Collie. not quite, but whatever. but ya, billy's deadly when he mixes the ripping and the electronic.