Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread  (Read 24133 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
I saw them on the oceania tour and it was great. Since I've already seen them, I'm in no rush to see them again, but if Darcy was there and it was a legit re-union, then I would see them again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »
Soooo just found this blabbermouth article and apparently the show I'm going to Thursday is the 30th anniversary show (almost all tickets still available too  :huh: ) and there's going to be lots of special guests:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/smashing-pumpkins-to-be-joined-by-courtney-love-chino-moreno-davey-havok-at-30th-anniversary-concert/

and I LOVE DAVEY HAVOK! I am going to see AFI Sunday and he's been one of my favorite singers since I was younger and grew up loving his voice.  I couldn't be more stoked to see this show now, also Chino/Love/McGrath is going to be sick.  I just can't believe tickets aren't selling.. at all for this.  They are doing a 10$ ticket sale at 1pm today so my gf and I will scoop those up.

Offline DTA

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
I saw them in Philly a few nights ago and I can honestly say that I was completely blown away and it was one of the best "shows" I've ever seen from a visual standpoint. It's unfortunate it's not selling well, as the band is really on top of their game. They played 31 songs over 3.5 hours and were killing it the entire way through. Even Corgan's voice sounded pretty good. Philly had a lot of empty seats, but it was still relatively full.

I'm seriously tempted to try and make it to the 30th anniversary show. I have work at 6AM the next morning but it's going to be amazing and well worth the tiredness. Once Upon A Time is Chino Moreno's favorite Pumpkins song (and one of mine) so I'm guessing that will be played.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Nice, I managed to grab two 10 dollar lawn tickets during the flash sale today and then used the livenation app to upgrade to the front section for 20 dollars extra.  Ended up in the 15th row for $30 each, flat, no fees with the flash sale or upgrade.  Kind of crazy since the row in front my seat is listed at $150 a ticket before fees.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
Bumping this to not take over the concert thread more with Billy Corgan talk, but I saw two of his solo shows last week in LA and I'm in PA tonight for his show in Stroudsburg.  I just read his show last night in Kentucky went bad, apparently a few hecklers and many people just talking in general during the show.  He ended it early (I think only a song or two early) apparently and I read on instagram he's pretty upset about it.  That's really unfortunate.  His LA shows were so unique and intimate, it's a big reason why I am out here for a third night of seeing him.  I feel bad for him, I hope he knocks it out of the park tonight and the crowd is like LA's.

But anyway, I've been listening to him and SP a bit lately because of these shows.  I recorded these two SP songs from their latest album that Billy did solo, sooo good:

Billy Corgan - Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts) Live in LA

Billy Corgan - Travels (with Happy Birthday) Live in LA

OK, one more, here's a SP song with guest Jeff Shroeder (from SP) on guitar and a girl on Violin.  I highly suggest DTF check this one out, it's really interesting

Billy Corgan with Jeff Shroeder - Glass and the Ghost Children Live in LA

His setlists are fairly random so I hope we get some cool rare stuff tonight  :metal

Offline DTA

« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2019, 04:42:46 AM »
Bumping this to not take over the concert thread more with Billy Corgan talk, but I saw two of his solo shows last week in LA and I'm in PA tonight for his show in Stroudsburg.  I just read his show last night in Kentucky went bad, apparently a few hecklers and many people just talking in general during the show.  He ended it early (I think only a song or two early) apparently and I read on instagram he's pretty upset about it.  That's really unfortunate.  His LA shows were so unique and intimate, it's a big reason why I am out here for a third night of seeing him.  I feel bad for him, I hope he knocks it out of the park tonight and the crowd is like LA's.

But anyway, I've been listening to him and SP a bit lately because of these shows.  I recorded these two SP songs from their latest album that Billy did solo, sooo good:

Billy Corgan - Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts) Live in LA

Billy Corgan - Travels (with Happy Birthday) Live in LA

OK, one more, here's a SP song with guest Jeff Shroeder (from SP) on guitar and a girl on Violin.  I highly suggest DTF check this one out, it's really interesting

Billy Corgan with Jeff Shroeder - Glass and the Ghost Children Live in LA

His setlists are fairly random so I hope we get some cool rare stuff tonight  :metal

I never picked up Ogilala but I'm curious about his new album. His voice is very unappealing to me nowadays so it's tough to really get into new music of his, but traces of his old voice pop out every now and then and I want to support the guy since he made some of my favorite albums of all time. He's always been great at making setlists with lots of rarities and popular stuff

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
Tons of rare songs played last night too, but there was also a fight that broke out in the crowd which put a pause to the show.  Kind of ridiculous to have a fight at an acoustic show.  At least Billy seemed more entertained than annoyed by it.  Apparently he's saying he's not going to tour solo anymore, and if he tours under his name it will be with a band.  He's definitely got a bit annoyed with the crowds but he was pretty complimentary to the crowd last night.  Much bigger venue than LA and less intimate, but still awesome show. 

Billy Corgan - Cherry Live in Stroudsburg

Billy Corgan - Perfect Live in Stroudsburg

Billy Corgan - Purr Snickety Live in Stroudsburg with the end of the fight

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
After a lot of work, I've completed my longest and most extensive concert video.  Clocking in just under 4 hours  :lol and comprises of footage edited together between 4 Billy Corgan solo shows from LA to PA to NYC  :yarr

Seriously, this took a long time and effort to make.  I don't expect anyone to watch the whole thing unless you are a hardcore fan, but there's like 40 songs included, plus the entire trivia game show he did at the end of the last show to give away his two guitars he used for the tour. 

I wrote out the songs in order but forgot to put it in the youtube before uploading it before I left for work (since it look like it took about 8 hours to upload and process on youtube) but I plan on adding that to the description with timestamps to easily find what you may be looking for, but until then, here's the full 4 hours.

Billy Corgan - Cotillions Solo Acoustic Tour of the US from LA to NYC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:28 PM »
New single and music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AN_GRWlU7k

synth poppy, I kind of like it though.  It's catchy. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »

They also released this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3p21SZ3x2A

There's absolutely zero Pumpkins identity in these songs, but they're catchy and easy to listen to which is all I can ask from Billy at this point. They honestly sound like they're taken from his first solo album TheFutureEmbrace

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »

They also released this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3p21SZ3x2A

There's absolutely zero Pumpkins identity in these songs, but they're catchy and easy to listen to which is all I can ask from Billy at this point. They honestly sound like they're taken from his first solo album TheFutureEmbrace

I wouldn't say there is no identity, they had a lot of synth stuff on Adore.  But this may be a bit more poppy.  It is catchy and easy, and enjoyable for what they are.  Being a double disc, I'm guessing there's a lot more variety than these two.  I havent heard that solo album, but I see from other comments that people feel the same.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2020, 01:43:05 AM »
Not what I want from a Smashing Pumpkins album.

I know they're never going to make another Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness - but after they got Jimmy and James back in the band I expected something a little more classic

Pumpkins...

... And No Past, No Future, No Sun was only ok and now this is only OK.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »
I actually quite liked Oceania and was hoping they would continue down that path but Monuments felt a bit more 'meh'. Still haven't heard the last one, mostly because there just doesn't seem to be that much hype. Considering he has James and Jimmy back it just feels like the current direction is a bit underwhelming. Like even a dud like Zeitgeist has United States - a 9 min track showcasing just how awesome Jimmy is on the drums but the last few Pumpkin releases just feel safe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
Yeah the two new singles - I don't think Jimmy even plays a fill does he ? Assuming it's Jimmy and not a drum machine...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »
Yeah the two new singles - I don't think Jimmy even plays a fill does he ? Assuming it's Jimmy and not a drum machine...

he dances  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
Boy is it ever awkward to watch Billy Corgan these days. Just an odd duck who seems to have not quite found the right balance between being 50-something and still trying to play to his 20 something alt-rock persona.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
So I'm guessing this is Volume 2 of Shiny and Oh So Bright? Cyr? (From the Facebook page.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Yea, I believe it is Volume 2.  I enjoy the singles but hope they have a lot more diversity than those two.  18 more songs so definitely expect some more "rock" songs and hopefully some interesting tracks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2020, 12:57:55 AM »
Vol.1 / Lp Shiny and oh so bright ( Why the long title Billy ? ) Part 1 / 3

Was merely Ok. I hope this one is a little stronger.

Plus another double ?

I mean it's good on one hand that there's still a band still willing to make big albums / grand statements in the streaming age.

But double albums are usually a chore / weak in the second half

Offline DTA

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2020, 05:28:40 AM »
CYR:

01 The Colour of Love
02 Confessions of a Dopamine Addict
03 Cyr
04 Dulcet in E
05 Wrath
06 Ramona
07 Anno Satana
08 Birch Grove
09 Wyttch
10 Starrcraft
11 Purple Blood
12 Save Your Tears
13 Telegenix
14 Black Forest, Black Hills
15 Adrennalynne
16 Haunted
17 The Hidden Sun
18 Schaudenfreud
19 Tyger, Tyger
20 Minerva

I like some of the titles here but absolutely hate shit like "Adrenalynne" and "Wyttch". Though "White Spyder" is a favorite of mine from Machina 2, so who knows. Still, much like The Astonishing, I'm really excited by the prospect of a double album late in a band's career...it's like one final attempt at making a grand statement and while I haven't been impressed by Billy's work since TheFutureEmbrace, maybe he pulled something magical out of his ass for this thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
Do we know the track times? I do wonder if this double album is even that long.

Offline DTA

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2020, 11:01:23 AM »

I know that 9 of the songs total up to 37 minutes (according to reddit posts I've seen) so I'm guessing the other 9 will total up to a similar length. Another "double album" that is essentially a long single disc album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

I know that 9 of the songs total up to 37 minutes (according to reddit posts I've seen) so I'm guessing the other 9 will total up to a similar length. Another "double album" that is essentially a long single disc album.

That's kind of what I was thinking, this doesn't immediately rub me off as some major epic double disc album or something

Offline DTA

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2020, 03:11:53 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking, this doesn't immediately rub me off as some major epic double disc album or something

Album is 72 minutes long with the longest song being Black Forest, Black Hills at 4:42.

Ugh, I know track length is no indicator of quality, but if it's just going to be 18 attempts at trying to make a relevant pop single then I'm going to be severely pissed. Where's the epics? Where's the journey/buildup songs like Soma, Porcelina, or Silverfuck? It's like he just want to make a whole album of 1979's.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »

Album is 72 minutes long with the longest song being Black Forest, Black Hills at 4:42.

Ugh, I know track length is no indicator of quality, but if it's just going to be 18 attempts at trying to make a relevant pop single then I'm going to be severely pissed. Where's the epics? Where's the journey/buildup songs like Soma, Porcelina, or Silverfuck? It's like he just want to make a whole album of 1979's.

Well, I wouldn't judge it more than just the singles so far.  But yea, 72 minutes is NOT a double album IMO even if it's broken up.  I want some good rockers in there, I don't need epics from SP personally, just good songs.  I enjoy the singles so far but they don't blow me away nor do they get me super excited for the other 18 songs. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »
I haven't been too up to date and I still haven't heard Shiny and Oh so Bright Vol 1, but personally I find the whole 'double album that is really more a 80 minute album' to be very lackluster in general. I would probably draw the line at 90 minutes for what I would consider a double album, but even so, Mellon Collie is 2 hours. And yeah part of what makes that great is the variety in tracks where you get some hits, some transitional type tracks to build mood and you get your epics. The lack of epics on the last few Pumpkins releases since Oceania is a bit of a turn off for me personally. It's a reason why I still haven't checked out the last one because I looked at the tracklist and it's a 30 minute album with 8 songs on it. One song reaches 5 minutes but 4 of them are 3:30 or shorter. To me that's more aching to an EP than a full album for a band that used to write epics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2020, 05:53:00 AM »
I don’t mind 80 minute albums which are on2 CDs as it’s cool to have two discs.

Opposites by Biffy Clyro and Metallica’s Hardwired both did this.

It just looks nice having a fat box with two discs. IMO ☺️

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
* BIG NEWS *

I'm not that excited cause i've not liked anything since Oceania. Not listened to Monuments and SAOSBV1/LP:NP,NF,NS was just Ok....

• After the 20 Song Cyr ( Shiny And Oh So Bright Vol 2 ) in November

• They will release a 33 song Mellon Collie / Machina Follow up in 2021

• Then Shiny And Oh So Bright Volume 3 after that ( 10 songs says Billy )

• THEN the complete Machina album package as fully intended ( 50 songs says Billy )

I mean cool?? I guess i'll listen to Mellon Collie "3" ?? But i'm not that excited. He needs to be careful it's not just Today, Cherub Rock, 1979, Butterfly Wings again and again...

He'll get ripped to shreds for trying to re-live the glory days. But Billy is at least more intelligent than that. It'll probably be in that style without being a rip off.

Plus he says once they are able - a Mellon Collie / Machina / Part 3 THEMED tour - " NOT the albums in full " he stresses.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2020, 06:17:52 PM »
I also haven't liked anything since oceania, but I will say I really enjoy the song Tiberius off of monuments.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
I just don't understand how he has like all this music.  It makes me wonder if it's quantity over quality.  We'll see, the new Cyr album isn't so far shaping up to be anything great at 20 songs already.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2020, 08:28:27 PM »
As far I'm concerned, he's shit out 3 very underwhelming solo albums mascarading as pumpkins albums over the past 6 years.

And now that's he's announced a sequel to one of the most beloved SP albums, I feel like he's only setting himself up for embarrassment. We'll see though. I would love for it to be an awesome album.

And honestly, I think he should have tried harder to get Darcy back in the band, and then they could have focused on putting out one very solid and decent album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2020, 03:47:23 AM »
I'll be surprised if any of this actually comes to fruition. He's notorious for announcing projects and abandoning them. All's I care about right now is getting the Machina reissue which I know he's been working on so that has the most likelihood of actually being released.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2020, 04:53:11 AM »
I'll be surprised if any of this actually comes to fruition. He's notorious for announcing projects and abandoning them. All's I care about right now is getting the Machina reissue which I know he's been working on so that has the most likelihood of actually being released.

That's the one he says is actually being mixed - which means it's finished.

Offline DTA

« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »

That's the one he says is actually being mixed - which means it's finished.

That era has the most interesting stuff they did imo. I'd love to hear it properly mixed and resequenced as intended, along with any scattered b-sides that have been floating around in low-quality hell for 20 years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »
I'm more interested in a Mellon Collie / Machina follow up than Shiny And Oh So Bright 2 and 3...

Not cause I want SP to sound like Siamese Dream forever.

It's just that i've not enjoyed anything they've done since that time.

Oceania was the closest to classic Pumpkins they've done.