Author Topic: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread  (Read 24132 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
They also played a brand new song which was heavy as hell and damn good as well.

agreed! used to be called "Black Sunshine," now it's "The Dream Machine." probably one of the best songs i've heard out of the band since the Zeitgeist-era highlights ("Gossamer," et al).

re: MCIS deluxe—
wow.
worth the $100 package i think. the vinyl, not so much... especially since people are still experiencing issues just like with the Oceania vinyl.

the bonus tracks are nuts. "Ruby" take 7, the "Cupid" re-mix, "Chinoise," "Speed," "MCIS" nighttime version, the "Cherry" and "Marquis in Spades" re-mixes, "Tonite Reprise" take 1, "Galapagos" instrumental demo, etc. — every disc has enormous highlights. there are only a few tracks that bug me.

the mastering sucks ass though (just on the bonus discs - like Pisces Iscariot). squashed to hell, all the quiet songs are as loud as the loud-ass songs, etc. Howie Weinberg and whoever influenced his mastering on this need to be slapped.

the remastering on the actual album is fantastic though. it's actually about the same volume as the original, but with much clearer EQing. that's what one should expect from a pro like Bob Ludwig.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
I can't wait to get the vinyl which I ordered through Amazon.

Offline adace

« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
New single from the upcoming album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5dlrGRZSm8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
New single from the upcoming album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5dlrGRZSm8

This is awful.  Sounds like watered down Coldplay.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
This is awful.  Sounds like watered down Coldplay.

Watered down coldplay would be elevator music.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Meh.

When I saw them live a little while back they played this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MceiDoymHEA

Its was a new song called The Dream Machine and really got me excited for what might be on the new album, but this other track just sounds dull and uninteresting.

When I saw them in 2012, they felt like a cohesive band. I dare say, a "happy" band. I'm not too happy that Billy has already run off Nicole Fiorentino and Mike Byrne. Now we are back to half a band with tommy lee of all people playing drums. Nothing against tommy lee, but the band is a hot mess and I don't know what to make of it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:27:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
I feel the last bit of real "Smashing Pumpkins" disappeared after Jimmy Chamberlin was out of the lineup the second time in 09'. That's not to say what they've done since is bad or what Corgan and whoever is with him will produce in the future will be less than. Some felt it was done with Iha and Wretzky out but I think Chamberlin really held it all together most times. It's always been a power struggle for most in the band because Billy has always ran the band as HIS band (maybe rightfully so), but when Chamberlin came back with Corgan in 05' there was potential to recapture some of the original magic.

Now I feel it's just something else. IMO, Corgan is a brilliant musician and artist but he needs to channel and filter his work better sometimes. The funny thing is his material is so polarizing because his music can be on opposite ends of the spectrum from one song to the next. He's always worked that way and it throws a lot of people off but I usually like it.

Also I think the new song is alright (not mind blowing or anything) but I also like the heavier and some of the psychedelic stuff that he's done the last few years like The Dream Machine, Gossamer, etc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
Ever since I liked the Facebook page, it's become increasingly clear that Billy Corgan's lost his god damn mind. Every "new album update" post over the last six months has been random as hell, half the time not even mentioning the album progress. And two of the new band members are already gone? The non-Oceania Teargarden tracks kind of fizzled out and the project was never really completed (when Corgan started the project he said when all 44 tracks were done they'd get a full album/box set release). Tommy Lee? Doom metal album? Cover of some cat magazine in a sweater? What the fuck?!

I have been enjoying collecting the reissue box sets though. So much bonus content. Adore's came out last month, and I hope to have some spare moolah for it soon.

DOOM METAL?!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:16 PM »
the doom metal thing was Jeff Schroeder's sense of humour about using Sunn amps.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
Oh, really? The way everyone freaked out about it, I assumed it was real.  :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2014, 05:48:39 AM »
New album out today.

I like it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »
I've only listened once, but it was alright. Very okay-ish as a whole. After Oceania I must admit I had higher hopes, and this kinda felt like something they wrote and recorded in a weekend, but with that said it's also not bad. I have a feeling I will have forgotten all about this album in a few months, because it's only like 30 minutes long and kinda leaves my mind before it starts to stick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2014, 07:24:37 AM »
Very okay-ish as a whole.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Nothing spectacular, just ok.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »
Every Pumpkins album since Machina has featured almost an entirely different line up for touring. Billy is the only constant. It's odd that he doesn't just out as Billy Corgan now. He could still play Pumpkins songs because he wrote them all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »
I just listened to it again and I must say I think the first track, Tiberius is really darn great. One of their finer "rockers" in a few albums even, and it's a really great track on its own. The album has a few more tracks like that spread out, but then maybe 3-4 tracks that are just kinda okay, so overall that stops the album from being better than like a 3 or 3.5 out of 5.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
After a few more listens, I have to say that apart from Tiberius, I've also really grown to love Drum and Fife, and Monuments. As a whole this album might not be one of their best, but for a ~30 minute album, it is pretty solid, and with 3 songs as good as the ones I mentioned, I feel like their catalog has gotten a few more great additions. I hope the twin-album coming in 2015 is a bit more ambitious though. I read a review saying this album feels a bit unfinished and that it misses the "epic" (like Oceania, Glass and the Ghost Children, XYU or so on) and I can see that. Considering how good they do epics, it's really a shame that there isn't a strong 7-9 minute song on here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
Oceania is a lot better than Zeitgeist. That album was shocking and the mix was atrocious.

Offline j

« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
Lately I think Here is no Why is the Pumpkins' best song.

-J

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
Lately I think Here is no Why is the Pumpkins' best song.

-J

Love that song  :metal

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »
Oceania is a lot better than Zeitgeist. That album was shocking and the mix was atrocious.

Oceania was pretty good but Zeitgeist gets more hate than it deserves. It's a good album overall just quite different than the majority of their early discography. The mix is a bit wearing but I can understand he was going for a wall of sound type thing for that album (and it's there!).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
Oceania is definitely better than Zeitgeist. But with that said, Zeitgeist isn't bad. It has some good stuff on it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
Listened to Monuments a couple times now.

1. Tiberius is incredible and addictive as hell. Its been in my head for days.

2. One and all and Beige Beige are ok

3. The rest does nothing for me. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:35:41 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »
I would say Tiberius, Drum and Fife, and Monuments are the three big standouts for me. I really like them all quite a lot. The other tracks are not bad, but they also don't stand out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
So they are billing this next tour as a re-union tour, but as far as I'm concerned its not a full reunion without Darcy. This isn't like GnR where slash and duff are so much the image of what guns and roses are. And they really are taking a page out of Gun's book, but booking these massive arenas. I could get behind that if it was a full legit re-union, but its not. Oh well, maybe I will try and see it, maybe not

https://www.metalsucks.net/2018/02/15/34ths-of-the-original-smashing-pumpkins-line-up-is-reuniting/

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
From what I've read over the years Darcy "Hates" Billy so no big surprise she's not doing it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2018, 12:57:24 AM »
I know we're not getting it because of the legal shit, but...

I just want my Machina I/II and Zeitgeist deluxe reissues. I bought all the other box sets as they released and these were all I needed to have every album. The way Zeitgeist divided up its bonus tracks was misery back in the day and it would have been so nice to have all of that in one package. (Was also hoping when those box sets were coming out that Billy'd eventually do a physical release of all the Teargarden by Kaleidoscope songs, but alas.)

Offline DTA

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
I know we're not getting it because of the legal shit, but...

I just want my Machina I/II and Zeitgeist deluxe reissues. I bought all the other box sets as they released and these were all I needed to have every album. The way Zeitgeist divided up its bonus tracks was misery back in the day and it would have been so nice to have all of that in one package. (Was also hoping when those box sets were coming out that Billy'd eventually do a physical release of all the Teargarden by Kaleidoscope songs, but alas.)

Getting a remixed/remastered Machina I/II is the thing I want most from the Pumpkins. Those two albums are probably my favorite collective work of theirs but the production is so godawful.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »
From what I've read over the years Darcy "Hates" Billy so no big surprise she's not doing it.

Apparently, they made up 2 years ago. Darcy recently shared a series of texts between her and Billy that started with offering her a spot on the tour to offering her a picture on a t-shirt. Doesn't make Billy look good.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/d-arcy-wretzky-shares-text-145649525.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »

Apparently, they made up 2 years ago. Darcy recently shared a series of texts between her and Billy that started with offering her a spot on the tour to offering her a picture on a t-shirt. Doesn't make Billy look good.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/d-arcy-wretzky-shares-text-145649525.html

Yeah, I don't get the same message from those texts as the author seems to want us to get.   He's telling her the facts.  Doors open.  it's a big tour, and she's not 100% healthy, so the concerns of the machine have to be weighed against her concerns.  I don't view the last part of the exchange as a clear reduction in offer, but rather a different way of saying what he said all along:  come along, come on stage at your leisure, and we're going to cover our bases so a massive arena tour is not scuttled if you reinjure your shoulder.

I see this almost exactly like the Bill Ward situation.  He wanted a full ride with Sabbath, but decided he didn't like the terms, and oh, by the way, the day before HIS tour, he has a heart attack and has to cancel the whole shooting match.   

Corgan/Pumpkins are weird to me.  They're not my favorite band (though if I ever see a disk at a pawn shop or wherever, I buy it for a $1.00 or two) but every song I hear I really like (and I LOVE Melancholy...).   I always used to think Corgan was a publicity whoring douche, but he was on Stern not long ago and really won me over.  Seems like an odd guy, but aren't we all?   And he said then that he was on good terms with D'Arcy, but that they grew apart over the years and it's hard to just "jump back in full throttle".   He's got a business to run. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
As much as I love D'arcy's contributions to Pumpkins I think Billy is in the right here and knowing how her life took a turn for the worse after the drugs and exit from Pumpkins in the first place, the reality is there are a lot of questionmarks around her as to whether she would be reliable and whether she would be able to perform.

I do hope this is a success and we get a European tour as well cause I haven't seen Pumpkins live and they're one of my favorite bands so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
New song: Solara

https://youtu.be/Do3tSdZucyA

I actually like it.  Thinking of seeing them in a month when they come to town.

Offline DTA

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
Musically it's okay, but I don't know why Corgan insists on having his voice so high and prominent in the mix. His vocals always sounded better when they were pushed back into the mix with reverb. I always loved his voice in the past but time has not been kind to it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2018, 05:41:41 PM »
So the tour started and the setlist is pretty killer if you ask me.  I'd like some more of the not so popular songs from Melon Collie, but that's just me.  Hard to complain about a 31 song setlist https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/2018/gila-river-arena-glendale-az-23ebb8ef.html  I'm pretty much sold on seeing them in a couple weeks when they come to town.  It's not selling very well so I should be able to get a cheap ticket to the local show.