Author Topic: Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, for all of you here who support the death penalty, are you actually okay with an innocent person being executed? Like, is it just an acceptable risk?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
I'm curious, how would you feel about a person if they, say, abducted your family, raped them, murdered them, and defiled their corpses? And sent their organs to you.

I doubt you'd feel too compassionate about that hypothetical fellow. 

I mean, I don't feel too strongly either way regarding the death penalty, but, still, I can definitely understand why some people want to see convicts die.  I can also understand the reasons behind wanting to spare their lives, as well, but, still, they are horrendous human beings.  Mind you, I am not exactly decided on this issue; I was just putting into perspective why some victims would want those who have done wrong upon them would feel so strongly in favor of it.

I mean, the whole point of living in a society based on the rule of law is to dispel the urges created by our passionate, irrational feelings.  If such a system wasn't in place, we'd basically be living in a state of nature in which anyone can revenge upon anyone using any justification at all, because justice need not exist.

Exactly. Sure, the family might want revenge for a murdered family member, but there's also people like Praxis who'd happily gun down a neighborhood kid for smashing his mailbox.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »
To gun down someone for minor property damage would be completely excessive. 

And I am not okay with an innocent person being executed; there's no reason to go through with that unless there's concrete evidence that undoubtedly proves their guilt, and their crime committed is of the utmost depraved type (i.e. committed for the joy of it).  I am not sure how often that occurs, though I'm betting it's a good deal less common nowadays than before. 

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
What is the difference between killing someone because you want their money or because you want to have something to do on a Saturday night?

With all due respect dude, that makes zero sense.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
I'm guessing that a person who killed out of need for money is probably sane enough to end up feeling remorse for their crime and would be much more easily rehabilitated than an Ed Gein type. 

Or they could just be incredibly stupid, which probably should justify executing them. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
To gun down someone for minor property damage would be completely excessive.

Well, as Sigz has been so good as to point out, there are people out there other than PraXis that consider it a capital offense.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
The only things I'd really consider worthy of capital offense would really be murder, pedophilia, and rape.

Off the top of my head, anyways.  Even then, it would have to depend on the circumstances.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
*insert controversial argument about pedophilia*

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
I'm guessing that a person who killed out of need for money is probably sane enough to end up feeling remorse for their crime and would be much more easily rehabilitated than an Ed Gein type. 

Or they could just be incredibly stupid, which probably should justify executing them.
To be fair,  a person who kills someone for money is a fine example of a sociopath.   Most of what I know about Gein comes from Slayer, but I gather that he was a completely different type of sick fuck.  If Ed was just plain ole insane,  then I'd be less enthusiastic about his execution than the robber's. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm curious, how would you feel about a person if they, say, abducted your family, raped them, murdered them, and defiled their corpses? And sent their organs to you.

I doubt you'd feel too compassionate about that hypothetical fellow. 

You're absolutely right.

I can definitely understand why some people want to see convicts die.

I understand as well. It's completely human. (See? Normal humans can want to kill too.) But I still think it's wrong.

I would want them dead, and I would want to do it. That doesn't change that he still should not be killed.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
Just to add...

The, "and I would want to do it" part of my post states that despite my feelings, my rationality will win out. If someone were to shoot my mother right now, and the police caught him and gave me the option to kill him or not, I wouldn't.

Offline ehra

« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
I'm not sure what the point of compassion is if the person has to earn it or if it can be lost. I'm not too sure you're dealing with compassion at that point; it's just a distinction of whether you like the person or not.

Offline j

« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
Well, we can do tests for psychopathic traits, and other things. My point basically revolves around that ability to rehabilitate someone, which is something we can actually quantify to a good degree.

I guess I disagree simply because I don't put much of any stock in the field that attempts to make these determinations; certainly not enough to stake somebody's life on it.  I assume it's a relatively rare occurrence (if ever) for a person to be deemed completely beyond all hope of rehabilitation?  What about the debatable culpability of a mentally deranged psychopathic killer, which is inevitably brought up as a potential defense (not that I agree)?

I thought we were assuming that the people in question both intentionally, knowingly killed a person.  We're past manslaughter or cases of plain mental deficiency.  We say "well the wife's crime is a little more excusable because we know her husband was doing something bad," but that's the same as saying "this lady's husband deserved to die more than the person randomly chosen by this psychopath."  Shaky ground to be making judgments on, IMO.

As to the first sentence, good point. However, I don't see how it's all like comparing the two people murdered. In fact, it's not even considering the people murdered at all, but rather the intent, motive and identity of the person killing. Justice is towards that individual, so justice should be dependent upon that individual. You do agree intent matters, at least presence of, so I don't think it's really all that unreasonable to think that the intent of a love-torn / abused woman is different than the intent of a psychopathic killer.

Say the woman is being abused - her intent than is to escape abuse. A criminals is to have basic subsistence. Neither of these compare to a serial killers joyful intent.

Yeah I guess I do agree that intent matters, I just don't think I've ever really given much thought as to why.  I mean, doesn't it ultimately always come down to "does it appear that the person committed the crime for a reason I can somewhat understand or relate to?"  If that's the benchmark, then obviously a serial killer's motivation is going to be pretty damn far removed from what a normal person can fathom.  Naturally, I agree with you that it's completely fucked up and wrong, but we're sort of being logically inconsistent by ceasing to apply our usual principles at some arbitrary point.

Then the intent matters insofar as a psychopathic serial killer's intent may strongly suggest that he is likely to be a repeat offender.  But that problem is as easily solved with incarceration as it is with ending him, as much as you or I may think he should be put to death.  But like SD and a couple others have said, I think I'd rather that type of judgment have no place in our legal system than be there for someone to misuse or apply mistakenly or unnecessarily.

And I agree, but so many cases don't neatly fit the paradigm like these examples.

I think that's why they're exceptions to the rule. I think it would be wrong for us to say that we can never execute someone, ever, no matter the circumstance. It's a blurry issue, but I'm all for having actual execution being extremely rare, to avoid the controversial middle, and pick an area where it's still rather easy to tell what's going on.

Agreed, if I had confidence that there were a way to accurately determine the cutoff point.  But yeah, at this point I just think that in our "civilized" (lol) society, there really is almost never a case in which it's in the best interest of society that a criminal be executed.

-J

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2011, 12:40:44 AM »
I've read through this thread, and am surprised by the limited consideration for the victim's rights.

We talk of rights, whether we believe they're natural or not, but when it comes to enforcing them, society seems to wind up scratching its collective head.  If someone stole an expensive china dish, few would question his obligation to repay his debt, not to society but to the victim.  Why is it that when a criminal takes something of much greater value--a human life--we speak of rehabilitation and not repayment?

Rights are not inalienable.  Yes, you absolutely read that right.  The very existence of government demonstrates that liberty is not inalienable, but it goes deeper than that.  When a violent criminal takes a victim's life, he is basically enslaving the victim to his own will, claiming some kind of ownership over it.  The problem is that that ownership is illegitimate.

Complete repayment is impossible.  The human being in question did not consent to have their life taken, certainly, and given the immense (some would say incommensurable) value of human life simply by virtue of the fact that it's human, the criminal can never sufficiently compensate the victim's family for their loss.

They can demand some amount of money.  They can demand limited punishment.  In the end, though, we talk of the murderer's debt to "society" and leave it at that.  If the criminal has claimed an innocent life as his own, then the very least we can do is allow the family to claim what is justly owed them--the criminal's life.  Perhaps execution need not be cruel, but it should be sufficient to resemble some kind of repayment.

On the other hand, if the victim's family does not want to execute the criminal, they should be free to let them go with minimal punishment.  We hold the victims accountable for their decisions, but we should not disallow them what is justly owed them.

A couple more points.

1.) The "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" statement is ridiculous as popularly used.  When people speak of an eye for an eye, they simply mean that the victim demands their due.  If, indeed, half of the world has decided to violate the rights of the other half by taking both their eyes, then not only would that other half be justified in claiming the eyes of the violators, but the whole world would be better off.  The alternative is a world of blind victims and sighted criminals.  Ridiculous.

2.) "Stoop to their level?"  Oh, so why are you okay with locking people in cages?  Hell, for the rehabilitation folks, why are you okay with subjecting other individuals' minds to what amounts to brainwashing, forcing your values on them?  Any system that exacts punishment--or, for that matter, locks anyone away--"stoops."  But to compare extracting repayment from a violent criminal to taking an innocent life is senseless.  They are entirely different things.

3.) There's nothing illogical about the death penalty, unless you think Kant, Locke, etc. were illogical.  The death penalty has survived in part because repayment has been, for much of human history, a vital element of justice.  Both sides of the debate have, and have had, reasonable arguments.  There's no reason to be immediately dismissive of either one--only the stupid arguments on either side.

4.) I am indeed concerned about killing innocent people, and it is the reason my personal opinion has wavered on the death penalty in execution.  I do not always stand in the same place.  A few months ago, I was adamantly against it.  Now I don't see much of a different between locking an innocent man up in a cage and executing him, at least not from an ethical perspective.  Either way, he can never regain the years he's lost.

I fall somewhere between conservatism and libertarianism, which means I distrust the government.  But I am not an anarchist.  I believe government is only legitimate so long as it protects and sets parameters for repayment of lost life, liberty, and property.  If it works against those ends, or if it fails to protect and preserve, then it is at best redundant and at worst tyrannical, and best done away with.  Since I support government's existence, I have to trust it to do a decent job with law and order.  There is certainly no unwritten rule for small government types to oppose the death penalty on principle.  Even Rothbard didn't, and regardless of your opinion of him, you must at least concede that he was no friend of government policy.

Anyhow, in an ideal world I would always favor an option for the victim to exact appropriate punishment but also allow lenience against the offender.  We do not live in that world, so I may be against the death penalty tomorrow.  But I will never claim that it is unethical or that someone stoops to the level of rapists and murderers by supporting it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »
Giving back china you've stolen or paying with money in compensation is one thing. Paying with your life is another thing entirely. That is all.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
I don't think the victim should be involved in punishment.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/02/justice/texas-last-meal/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
(CNN) -- A former death row chef says he will pay for and cook every last meal for condemned inmates himself, after Texas announced it was stopping the tradition.

"We should not get rid of the last meal," said Brian Price, an ex-convict who spent a decade in Texas preparing last meals for the condemned. "Justice is going to be served when this person is executed, but can we not show our softer side? Our compassionate side?"

"While we appreciate Mr. Price's offer, it's not the cost but more the concept that we're moving away from," said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »
Good.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:27 AM »
I don't think the victim should be involved in punishment.

Agreed.  When the victim (or their family) is involved in setting the punishment, we're no better than Iran.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol