Author Topic: Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates  (Read 8865 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2011/09/22/justice/texas-last-meal/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
(CNN) -- The hefty last meal ordered but not eaten by an executed Texas inmate brought a complaint from a state senator and the end Thursday to the practice of special menus.

Sen. John Whitmire, chairman of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee, wrote Thursday that he opposed the practice of providing a last meal of choice to the condemned.

"It is extremely inappropriate to give a person sentenced to death such a privilege. One which the perpetrator did not provide to their victim," Whitmire wrote.

The Democrat, who represents Houston and parts of north Harris County, said "enough is enough" after Lawrence Russell Brewer ordered two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet with other ingredients, a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup, three fajitas, a pint of Blue Bell ice cream and a pound of barbecue with a half-loaf of white bread.

The meal request also included a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts, a pizza and three root beers.

Brewer declined to eat the last meal Wednesday, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark.

Whitmire, in asking the state to stop special requests, said he would seek the change by law if necessary.

"I believe Senator Whitmire's concerns regarding the practice of allowing death row offenders to choose their last meal are valid," Brad Livingston, executive director of the Department of Criminal Justice, said in statement released Thursday. "Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made. They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

Brewer, 44, was executed for his involvement in the infamous racially motivated 1998 dragging death of James Byrd Jr.

I'm having a tough time deciding who the bigger asshole is in this story.  Brewer was already a reprehensible douche to begin with,  but by pulling this stunt,  he's now ruined it for everybody.  I don't even have a problem with him not eating it; I'm not sure I'd be hungry a few hours before my scheduled demise, and all.  But the buffet rule needs to apply here.  Take what you want, but eat what you take.

Then there's this grandstanding bald-fuck from Houston,  deciding that displays of decency are inappropriate.  Why should he even care, except out of a misguided principle and a desire to look tough on criminals.  Something that this article didn't mention was that in Texas,  last meals are only things that can be prepared in the prison kitchen.  They weren't ordering expensive food to be shipped in from Lonestar's.  It was prepared by prisoners or bought from the commissary.  There's no money to be saved by this, and if it were, then it'd probably be the $40 that any other state caps a meal at.

Brian Price, a former prison inmate and cook in Texas, is planning to release a book in December about his experience preparing almost 200 last meals. Price, who is on parole after serving 14 years for kidnapping and sexual assault, said he took pride in preparing the meals. He remembers fixing butter beans for a condemned man.

"That was something his mom used to cook when he was a kid," Price said. "It takes them back to a time of good memories. The smells and the tastes take you back to a calm, peaceful time in their life that they want to reflect on."

This is a convicted rapist who's demonstrating more class and humanity than a fucking state Senator.  Ye Gods!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
And now with the last meal out the window, all they're with is just desserts.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PraXis

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »
Their last meal should be lead to the face.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
Oh how I love conservative compassion.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
Well, I guess if we were gonna be better than the person to be executed, we wouldn't be executing them to begin with...

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty douchey for him to order all that food and then not eat it, but hey that's his right, and certainly if it's just prison food it's not really that big of a deal one way or the other. It's fucking ridiculous to somehow take that as a reason to not offer last meals at all however.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
Brewer and his friends killed a man by attaching him by his ankles to their truck with chains and dragging him across the road until his head fell off....its not like these men deserve anything better than a cold food less box until its time for the needles.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
That is untrue because in treating the accused the same way they treated their victims makes you just as bad if not worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
in treating the accused the same way they treated their victims makes you just as bad if not worse.

Why do you believe that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
Nobody should treat humans like dirt. The accused is no less a human because of the things he did. Should he be punished? Yes. I personally don't believe in the death penalty, but that is a topic for another day. I believe that just because someone did something shitty, they do not deserve shittiness in return. To quote the old saying, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
Wonton violence should never beget further violence.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
Brewer and his friends killed a man by attaching him by his ankles to their truck with chains and dragging him across the road until his head fell off....its not like these men deserve anything better than a cold food less box until its time for the needles.
I think Brewer was a real bastard, and I agree that he doesn't deserve any compassion.  Yet, compassion loses significance if it has to be earned.  Anybody feels compassionate towards the 11 year old with bone cancer.  Good people feel it towards losers who deserve none.

Or at least that's what some whacked out, two thousand year-old hippy would have us believe, and in this case, I happen to agree with him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »

Offline PraXis

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »

I don't see "compassion" in the Constitution. If you are guilty of a violent crime, you should be taken out back and shot immediately. It saves the tax payers plenty of money.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »

I don't see "compassion" in the Constitution. If you are guilty of a violent crime, you should be taken out back and shot immediately. It saves the tax payers plenty of money.

And what happens when the guy everyone's positive is guilty gets taken out back and shot and then later they find out he didn't do it?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, my insanely conservative acquaintance.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, my insanely conservative acquaintance.

Justice is blind. An eye for an eye makes a just world.

..............damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »

I say we summarily execute all captured POWs.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »

But capital punishment costs much more than life in prison. (unless you skip the legal process just bring them out back and shoot them like you said.) As long as we're talking about it, I don't know of one good reason to kill someone.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »
Wait, are the chemicals used for lethal injections seriously more expensive than housing and feeding a person for the rest of their life? 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
It's the legal process that eats up all the money. Everything that goes into trying to prove them innocent or get the off the death penalty is way more expensive than life.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 11:01:51 PM »
Please explain that more; it's been bugging me that the legal process could end up costing more money than the total needed to sustain an inmate's life for life. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »
I'm not sure I'd be able to explain why. Perhaps Bosk would know more about that.

But I do know that it's true.

https://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »

In your opinion, the government's the most corrupt, ineffective institution in existence. I happen to agree. Yet, when it comes to executing peeps, no doubts surface about their capability to justly carry out the sentence. Awesome.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 04:25:18 AM »
I think it's because people he doesn't like die in the process. Questions are for treehuggers

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »
I'm not sure I'd be able to explain why. Perhaps Bosk would know more about that.

But I do know that it's true.

https://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Yes, I was told by a source that I trust that it was around 12 million bucks a shot. I find this source credible, but I have yet to try to find out myself if he is 100% correct.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »

But capital punishment costs much more than life in prison. (unless you skip the legal process just bring them out back and shoot them like you said.) As long as we're talking about it, I don't know of one good reason to kill someone.

I think he's planning to save money by cutting out all the expensive things like thorough investigation, due process, justice and such like.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline PraXis

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 07:13:48 AM »

In your opinion, the government's the most corrupt, ineffective institution in existence. I happen to agree. Yet, when it comes to executing peeps, no doubts surface about their capability to justly carry out the sentence. Awesome.

If the person committed the crime, admitted it, and/or multiple witnesses, then yes, take them out. I do believe people are innocent until proven guilty. If they are found to be guilty without doubt, then take 'em out back.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 07:16:45 AM »

If the person committed the crime, admitted it, and/or multiple witnesses, then yes, take them out. I do believe people are innocent until proven guilty. If they are found to be guilty without doubt, then take 'em out back.

Just my two cents: the legal process, expenses and all, is how we know.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
Very true, but also money talks. If you got the $ for a good lawyer, you can get away with most crime.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
And that's of course a far less just option than hanging him upon the insistence of the populace mob.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 07:22:22 AM »
And that's of course a far less just option than hanging him upon the insistence of the populace mob.

If members of this mob witnessed this person committing a violent crime then string 'em up!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
If you ever need to get out of jury duty, this thread would provide sufficient evidence to disqualify you.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

If members of this mob witnessed this person committing a violent crime then string 'em up!

I get the feeling you would've been right at home in feudal Europe.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »

Do these people get charged with manslaughter if it turns out the accused was innocent?