Poll

How many people agree?

I do! Not enough people admit this.
1 (7.1%)
I don't, you spread hate wherever you roam.
13 (92.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Who are you people?  (Read 14863 times)

Offline visitor

Re: Who are you people?
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Totally expecting heat from this but I don't care, I need to get this off my chest.

About me:  I've been a DT fan since Images and Words(yes, its fucking amazing) and feel that the route they took after Scenes from a Memory was mediocre(with the exception of Train of Thought) and has stayed that way until A Dramatic Turn of Events, which still doesn't live up to old DT, but it's on the right track.

About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

Anyway, that's my rant.  >:(

Be gentle  :sadpanda:

EDIT: The above remarks about you I can not change(i lied, I changed "heavy metal ass' to 'heavy metal butt') since they are true to what I feel. 

What I will say, and this I feel more passionately about, is my extreme joy and satisfaction in knowing that I am part of a huge fan base of the best band in the world.  No matter which way you lean in the DT universe, you are my brethren.
... So basically,

Nah, I can't change who you are.
Also, pretty sure there's a better meme out there for this situation then the kid-angry-cause-hes-losing-chess-lets-pretend-we-don't-know-that meme.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Either OP is living in upside down world or he just tried to pull off an elaborate troll. Because uhm... you're not serious, right?
I think we're feeding a troll, but whatever.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »
Soooo, what is the point of this thread?
To say that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

I just don't get it.. Maybe you could have worded your OP a little better to not come off as condescending or rude.

:huh:

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
Totally expecting heat from this but I don't care, I need to get this off my chest.

About me:  I've been a DT fan since Images and Words(yes, its fucking amazing) and feel that the route they took after Scenes from a Memory was mediocre(with the exception of Train of Thought) and has stayed that way until A Dramatic Turn of Events, which still doesn't live up to old DT, but it's on the right track.

About you: You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).  You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie.  Systematic Chaos was the shit.  Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of.  You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music) and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite? You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

Anyway, that's my rant.  >:(

Be gentle  :sadpanda:

EDIT: The above remarks about you I can not change(i lied, I changed "heavy metal ass' to 'heavy metal butt') since they are true to what I feel. 

What I will say, and this I feel more passionately about, is my extreme joy and satisfaction in knowing that I am part of a huge fan base of the best band in the world.  No matter which way you lean in the DT universe, you are my brethren.
... So basically,

Nah, I can't change who you are.
Also, pretty sure there's a better meme out there for this situation then the kid-angry-cause-hes-losing-chess-lets-pretend-we-don't-know-that meme.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
I've concluded the following:

OP doesn't know what he's talking about
OP is a troll.
OP is likely a 5/8 member

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Ok serious post time.

You came to this forum to accuse every single member here of only liking modern DT and not really getting classic DT.

Once you were corrected on your wrongful cognitions, you continue to post it; making absolutely no other point or any attempt to have a discussion.

Why are you here?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
/obligatory: NOW WAIT A MINUTE MAN, THAT'S NOT HOW IT IS
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline visitor

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

I just don't get it.. Maybe you could have worded your OP a little better to not come off as condescending or rude.

The point of this thread...my dear Cranky, is that I feel I represent a small minority in what otherwise was a majority in it's day.  So far, no one else has agreed with me, and you know what, that might prove my whole point moot, and I would really enjoy that since it would mean my kind is still alive and well.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
Either a troll or the definition of the worst and most annoying type of a DT fan. (They ended on Awake, THE REST SUCKS, WE WANT I&W PT. 2)

Offline Cranky

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »
I agree with Zook... But, then I agree with Adami...

But, then I also agree with Silas..

If the OP is not trolling, and in the off chance that he/ she is actually being serious, I would like them to at least discuss what he means by all the accusatory things he has just said in terms of the general consensus of this forum.

Offline visitor

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
Either a troll or the definition of the worst and most annoying type of a DT fan. (They ended on Awake, THE REST SUCKS, WE WANT I&W PT. 2)

Close, they ended on SFAM  ;D

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »

The point of this thread...my dear Cranky, is that I feel I represent a small minority in what otherwise was a majority in it's day.  So far, no one else has agreed with me, and you know what, that might prove my whole point moot, and I would really enjoy that since it would mean my kind is still alive and well.
I guess it's a good thing your in the minority then because if you were the majority then DT fans would look like complete douchebags

Offline Cranky

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »

Uhh, I think you need to do some research before you make all these accusations that you are the only Dream Theater fan that likes the right things, and the rest of us like the wrong things.

Nothing you said is credible because you just out right came here and accused us all of being brain-dead metal heads that only like the simple, heavy songs that they have released. All of us here love Dream Theater, and most of their works, if not all.

I still don't get what your exact point is.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
One thing I really hate is whenever I mention DT, my friends go "that music sucks, you cant even understand a word they say, its all heavy metal bs".

I am always like "Hey, listen to this" then I play them Metropolis Pt 1. and they go "meh thats one good song".

It aggrivates the hell out of me.

However, I absolute love TGP, its an awesome song.

I love all of DT (well, with the exception of most of SC and FII) whether its the heavy stuff or the lighter stuff.

They have a good balance of music in their portfolio.

I just wish my friends weren't so boneheaded and closed minded when it came to DT.

Offline farsight

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
Nevermind, this isn't worth my attention.

So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup And hey, I like old and new DT, but that's impossible, isn't it?

I will give MP credit for the best set of lines of any dt lyrics which was in Voices(I know Petrucci wrote the lyrics, but Portnoy said them):

"Did you know that reality is immaterial?
This is not reality."
Those werent spoken by Portnoy, they were actually by a rapper reading from a book.

Wait OP, what do you think about the new album?

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »

So, who else likes MP's vocals? I do  :tup And hey, I like old and new DT, but that's impossible, isn't it?

I will give MP credit for the best set of lines of any dt lyrics which was in Voices(I know Petrucci wrote the lyrics, but Portnoy said them):

This is not reality."
Seriously, MP said them? I thought it was just another clip of a movie or something like that. It doesn't sound much like MP.

EDIT: Like I said, I didn't think it was MP. That makes more sense. ^

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
You make it sound like there are two camps, and those are the only ones that exist.   
I defy you and I defy your attempt to pigeonhole any DT fan.   

There are two types of people:  Those who believe everyone can be neatly divided into two groups of people, and those who don't.

Offline visitor

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »

If the OP is not trolling, and in the off chance that he/ she is actually being serious, I would like them to at least discuss what he means by all the accusatory things he has just said in terms of the general consensus of this forum.

HONESTY TIME!!!

I miss old DT, I feel no one else does, I am frustrated by the communication channel the DT band members are receiving on the opinions of the new DT fans.  I want the old DT sound, ADToE is on the right path I believe.

When I said "you" I did not mean you per say but the "you" that describes what I was describing.

IN CONCLUSION  >:( :P

I like these forums very much and my rant was focused on the individuals I described whether they are on this forum or in another location.

Offline visitor

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »

This is not reality."
Seriously, MP said them? I thought it was just another clip of a movie or something like that. It doesn't sound much like MP.

EDIT: Like I said, I didn't think it was MP. That makes more sense. ^

Oh shit really?  Who said it?

Offline Cranky

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
I really hope that this isn't how the majority of Dream Theater fans act in public,
it makes us all look bad, and we are already stereotyped as snooty, pretentious, and elitists in the music world..

It's like when a couple black dudes rob a 7/11, it makes the rest of the black community look bad to the general public, and it isn't fair.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
Who honestly doesn't miss old DT? Can anyone say with a straight face that they'd rather hear some more ROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR than James singing?

Offline visitor

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »

Uhh, I think you need to do some research before you make all these accusations that you are the only Dream Theater fan that likes the right things, and the rest of us like the wrong things.

Nothing you said is credible because you just out right came here and accused us all of being brain-dead metal heads that only like the simple, heavy songs that they have released. All of us here love Dream Theater, and most of their works, if not all.

I still don't get what your exact point is.

Cranky, I am not singling out this forum, does that make it clearer?  There is no research to do, these people exist.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
You'll have to speak to Jacob if you want an answer.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »

HONESTY TIME!!!

I miss old DT, I feel no one else does, I am frustrated by the communication channel the DT band members are receiving on the opinions of the new DT fans.  I want the old DT sound, ADToE is on the right path I believe.

When I said "you" I did not mean you per say but the "you" that describes what I was describing.

IN CONCLUSION  >:( :P

I like these forums very much and my rant was focused on the individuals I described whether they are on this forum or in another location.

I am 100% sure that you are just basing this off of 1-2 occasions where you met somebody that had the mentality that you have been describing..
That's not enough credibility to be making all these assumptions, at all.

We all miss the old DT, and they are starting to come back..
with that being said, yeah, I love Black Clouds & Silver Linings, and yeah, I love Octavarium, yeah I love the heavy metal songs that DT writes and records and plays, I also love Images & Words, and Awake, and Scenes From A Memory, so what? That's my own opinion, and it shouldn't anger you that any given DT fan likes or prefers a certain style that they play.. It's just ignorant and none of your business.

Offline Freko

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »
Who is this clown? The dude on the adtoe cover?

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
This is the worst thread i have ever seen.

Offline visitor

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
Who is this clown? The dude on the adtoe cover?

You caught me!  :-[

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Ok serious post time.

You came to this forum to accuse every single member here of only liking modern DT and not really getting classic DT.

Once you were corrected on your wrongful cognitions, you continue to post it; making absolutely no other point or any attempt to have a discussion.

Why are you here?
He wants all DT fans on this forum or elsewhere to become like him, which apparently is a good thing, because he was like the majority of DT fans who only liked I&W and Awake when only those albums existed, and wants to be sure that his kind is alive and well.

Which, you know, is serious stuff.

Offline visitor

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »
Ok serious post time.

Why are you here?
He wants all DT fans on this forum or elsewhere to become like him, which apparently is a good thing, because he was like the majority of DT fans who only liked I&W and Awake when only those albums existed, and wants to be sure that his kind is alive and well.

Which, you know, is serious stuff.

It is serious. Don't make fun of me!   :police: (I'm a happy cop)

Offline visitor

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
This is the worst thread i have ever seen.

Nah, there's been some worse ones...come on...admit it.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
This is the lockediest thread i have ever seen.

FTFY.

Offline Cranky

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »
Well, let's break it down.

You LOVE songs such as The Great Debate, Octavarium, The Glass Prison, Wither, (insert below average song here).

Yup.  Amazing songs, all of 'em.  (Well, I guess I wouldn't put Wither into the "amazing" category, but it's still good)

You think Six Degrees was a masterpiece

Not sure if you are talking about the song or the album, but either way, yes, it is a masterpiece.

...and enjoy the "new" voice of James Labrie. 

Not really sure what this means.  But I do still enjoy his voice.  He lacks the power he had before his accident, and that is just a fact.  But he has gained a level of control and maturity in his singing through the years that makes up for it, IMO.  He may not be the live powerhouse he was, but when he is in the studio and has control over ever aspect of his singing, he pulls off some very nuanced performances.  And he has shown incredible diversity over the years in terms of being able to sing a lot of different styles.  So, yeah, James is great.

Systematic Chaos was the shit. 

Very good album, yes.  By DT standards, definitely in the lower half.  But standing alone as an album, there is some terrific stuff on there.  The biggest problem for me is inconsistency.  I love a little over half the songs, and am happy not even listening to the others.

Mike Portnoy growling all over the place is what dreams are made of. 

Mike Portnoy has never growled on a DT album.  But with the exception of the one very short bit I mentioned above, his vocals have been a great when used, and are an awesome counterpoint to James.

You don't "get" old DT (I believe you call it sissy music)

There are VERY few people that would agree with this.  "Old DT" is terrific (with the possible exception of WDADU, but opinions are very divided on that subject).  You are flat out wrong on that one.  You may run into a few here, but they are in the extreme minority. 

...and think they are better to have left that genre, because lets be honest, DT now plays a new genre of music, amirite?

???  Um...no.  They play the same genre they always have.  They have incorporated a lot more styles into their music, but that doesn't mean they have somehow left the progressive metal genre.  One of the things that first appealed to me back in the I&W days when I first got into them was how they could incorporate different genres and styles into their music.  They have continued that trend and continued to incorporate new things over the years, which is great.

You tried to get into Awake but only enjoyed The Mirror and Lie, because your heavy metal butt just needed uninspiring hard rock versus beautiful compositions.

Again:  ???  The vast majority of fans here love Awake, myself included.  But, yeah, I enjoy The Mirror and Awake quite a bit.  Two very good songs on a very good album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »
Guys, I figured it out; visitor is Kevin Moore.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
This is the lockediest thread i have ever seen.

FTFY.

Yeah, no kidding.  :P

I can just ban the three of you from it if you'd rather make cracks about the thread than either of the two acceptable options (ignoring it or posting something constructive in it).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."